158 posts
Mrs Butler
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Seol... on Yahoo news

by Mrs Butler » 04 Jun 2007 13:43

Seol issues Reading warning
Mon 04 Jun, 12:40 PM

TOKYO (Reuters) - South Korea midfielder Seol Ki-hyeon has told Reading boss Steve Coppell he will consider leaving the club unless he becomes a first-team regular.

"I am still thinking about my future. I definitely want to play more games next season," Seol told the official Web site of the Asian Cup.

"If I am not in the team next season, I will definitely have to find out whether another team wants a player like me."

Seol made 27 appearances for Reading last season but has spoken to Coppell about his concerns and desire for more regular first-team football with the Premier League side.

"I have spoken with the manager and he knows I am thinking that and he said he doesn't like players who are happy to be out of the team.

"I don't know what will happen, but as a professional player I will keep doing my best and we will see what happens."

Seol had spells with Belgium's Anderlecht and English club Wolves before joining Reading, who just missed out on a UEFA Cup spot after a dream first season in England's top flight.

The 28-year-old faces a fitness battle to be ready for July's Asian Cup following ankle surgery last month.

South Korea, World Cup semi-finalists in 2002, have not won the Asian title since 1960 and have failed to reach the final since 1988.

They face Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and tournament co-hosts Indonesia in Group D. The Asian Cup begins on July 7.

Maybe if he was any good at football he would get first team football..

ouch comment i know

HighburyRoyale

Re: Seol... on Yahoo news

by HighburyRoyale » 04 Jun 2007 13:44

Mrs Butler Seol issues Reading warning
Mon 04 Jun, 12:40 PM

TOKYO (Reuters) - South Korea midfielder Seol Ki-hyeon has told Reading boss Steve Coppell he will consider leaving the club unless he becomes a first-team regular.

"I am still thinking about my future. I definitely want to play more games next season," Seol told the official Web site of the Asian Cup.

"If I am not in the team next season, I will definitely have to find out whether another team wants a player like me."

On BBC Sport too - see you later I say. Useless.

The Colonel

by The Colonel » 04 Jun 2007 13:46

Also on BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 718973.stm

Who does he think he is? If he put more effort in he would be in the team. Fact.

Does Sir Steve need any more reason to offload him now?

kitsons_hair

by kitsons_hair » 04 Jun 2007 13:46

Would be nice to see him progress BUT if he wants to go then good luck to him. Not a fan of him anyway.

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 04 Jun 2007 13:49

His major problem is Glen Little being in such good form. Seol is a class act tbf but not as good as Glen last season.

donface
Hob Nob Regular
Location: doing favours for some guys who look like tusken raiders

by donface » 04 Jun 2007 13:50

I think it's fair enough. He's aware that he needs to work hard to get there but has said that there might be too many similar players at the club for him to be properly considered.

If he works hard enough to warrant a place then great. If he feels he needs to move on then fair enough. The guy is a pretty professional player in my eyes, he knows that he hasn't been as good as he or we want him to be and has responded to criticism in an adult manner. I think we owe him the same.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 04 Jun 2007 13:52

Oh dear.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 04 Jun 2007 13:53

I can't help feeling we should have booed him more to make him play better.

Mrs B - You usually come across alright regarding football issues, but your "Maybe if he was any good at football he would get first team football" comment is such a bird comment...

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 04 Jun 2007 13:53

Seol s a cracking little player who can play anywhere along our front line.

The comments in that report sound a bit like him feeling a bit down and chatting to somebody about it - then all of a sudden it's all over the British press who naturally blow it out of all proportion and we get enraged keyboard warriors knee-jerking him all the way back to Korea.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 04 Jun 2007 13:55

The Colonel Also on BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 718973.stm

Who does he think he is? If he put more effort in he would be in the team. Fact.

Does Sir Steve need any more reason to offload him now?

Christ, would you be happier if he was satisfied with being out of the team? The guy is a professional footballer and so obviously wants to be playing regularly. If he can't get that at Reading, then it's obvious that he'd want to move one and good luck to him.

Mrs Butler
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Mrs Butler » 04 Jun 2007 13:59

southbank1871 I can't help feeling we should have booed him more to make him play better.

Mrs B - You usually come across alright regarding football issues, but your "Maybe if he was any good at football he would get first team football" comment is such a bird comment...

thats abit harsh... everybody else who has commented here have said the same...

TWRoyal

by TWRoyal » 04 Jun 2007 13:59

The concern for me is that even when he got a decentish run out towards the end of the season, he hardly seemed to be producing that extra 10% to give himself the chance for next season. Maybe it was the ankle injury, maybe he was peeved at being kept out of the side by an actor from a drab, old British comedy, but he should know where he stands. Play well, play more. If there is one thing Coppell has done, it is reward good performances all over the pitch with the right to wear the shirt in the next game. (plus I agree that this is the same old moan as a little while ago and it has been hyped up by the media during the close of the season).

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 04 Jun 2007 14:02

Seol is definitely a very good footballer, it's just that he has to compete against very good players for the same spot in the team. I guess he couldn't hold down a place in the team when he was moved to a forward position to accomodate Glen Little.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Jun 2007 14:07

donface I think it's fair enough. He's aware that he needs to work hard to get there but has said that there might be too many similar players at the club for him to be properly considered.

If he works hard enough to warrant a place then great. If he feels he needs to move on then fair enough. The guy is a pretty professional player in my eyes, he knows that he hasn't been as good as he or we want him to be and has responded to criticism in an adult manner. I think we owe him the same.

spot on

WestCoast Life
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by WestCoast Life » 04 Jun 2007 14:08

The opposite of $idwell - who wants to play less for more cash. Perhaps Seol would take a drop down to the Championship to get more games ?

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 04 Jun 2007 14:08

Of course the key problem was touched on above. He needed more booing. Perhaps if he was more consistently booed (eg when he was on the bench), then his motivation could have improved and we would be left with a more consistent player.

Remember.. consistent booing = consistent player....

HighburyRoyale

by HighburyRoyale » 04 Jun 2007 14:09

Lazy lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy lazy Lazy Lazy Lazy....

He may have some ability, but it has been far too frequently replaced by wishy washy performances where he's done ok but you'd have been happy to see anyone in the squad with a right foot play there instead...

Good for three games at the start of the season and a few good goals thereafter. Altogether really not good enough to merit a place in the side.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 04 Jun 2007 14:10

If Seol was playing as well as Little was when he was fit he'd have been playing. That he isn't happy that he isn't playing is a good sign. Also that he knows why (at least I get that impression.)

If he was complaining that he's the bestest footballer ever and that he that he should start automatically every week, then I'd be annoyed.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 04 Jun 2007 14:11

He played more league games than Little last season. He'll be able to play far more than that if Glenn's unfortunate niggles continue next season and we do not bring in a right winger

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 04 Jun 2007 14:24

Sky Sports Seol, who made just 27 appearances for Reading last month,

:lol: 27 games in one month? Bad grammar that.

Anyway, he only just signed for us last year and there were 44 games (includes the cup games played...) - he's played more than half of these games, so what's he complaining about? Not everybody can play in all of the games.

158 posts