Selles out

859 posts

Should Selles be shown the door now before the inevitable mid season sacking

Yes (and appoint Ian)
46%
No (it's a wonderful appointment and he'll get the club to scale heights never before seen at Reading)
43%
He won't be appointed in the first place
10%

Total votes: 69
morganb
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Selles out

by morganb » 05 Sep 2023 11:17

leon The problem is we're still shit.

However we seem to be shit in a different way to last season's shitness

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Sep 2023 11:34

Hound Sacking Selles would be up there with the stupidest things we could possibly do at this point in time

They actually have a plan. It’s not working ideally yet but it needs time. We’ve just changed virtually the entire squad, and brought in a load of kids as a long term strategy; which is what we’ve all been asking for about a decade

I think Selles is a poor manager. But there's zero point in sacking him unless we're in the bottom 4 come January. Which, points deductions aside, we shouldn’t be, and if we are he'd deserve it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Sep 2023 12:17

Snowflake Royal
Hound Sacking Selles would be up there with the stupidest things we could possibly do at this point in time

They actually have a plan. It’s not working ideally yet but it needs time. We’ve just changed virtually the entire squad, and brought in a load of kids as a long term strategy; which is what we’ve all been asking for about a decade

I think Selles is a poor manager. But there's zero point in sacking him unless we're in the bottom 4 come January. Which, points deductions aside, we shouldn’t be, and if we are he'd deserve it.

Why? He makes decent proactive subs. Gives players a chance, isn’t scared to drop underperformers

Has a clear system, intense and seemingly knowledgeable.

Not exactly been given a great hand by Dai and co but has got on with it

There’s definitely no evidence of him being a great manager yet but there are encouraging signs. Certainty don’t get rhe impression he is a poor manager either yet though.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Sep 2023 12:25

Hound
Snowflake Royal

Why? He makes decent proactive subs. Gives players a chance, isn’t scared to drop underperformers

Has a clear system, intense and seemingly knowledgeable.

Not exactly been given a great hand by Dai and co but has got on with it

There’s definitely no evidence of him being a great manager yet but there are encouraging signs. Certainty don’t get rhe impression he is a poor manager either yet though.

As I've said elsewhere, the plus points:
1) active with subs
2) trying to play high energy and with a plan

The bad points:
1) some of the subs have been pretty ropey
2) I don't think we have the team or comparative quality to play out the way he wants
3) some team selection errors
4) his managerial record is currently poor.

Happy to be wrong, don't think he'll be a long term success.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 05 Sep 2023 12:39

Selles wouldn't have been my choice, but to be fair he has done better than I expected so far considering the hand he was dealt (I wasn't expecting much!).

He was appointed late, most of the players we brought in haven't been here 5 minutes and so there was no proper pre -season. We have seen one of the largest turn rounds of players at the end of a season I can ever recall and brought in largely unproven youngsters. Let alone all the financial issues and a points deduction. And he has had injuries to key players like Smith plus we seem to have been unlucky to play mainly in form teams so far.

Seriously folks anyone who expects us to be at the top end of the division by the end this season is deluded. If Selles can bring us to a solid mid table finish (say anywhere between 10-17th) then I would say he has had a good start and provided the owner keeps funding the club, we should have a great chance of going up next season, as the young players who "make it" this season will have a good season's experience behind them and hopefully we can fill any obvious gaps next summer.

I like seeing the young players develop and think we need to be super patient with them as they get experience. So far the defence have been good - only conceding 5 in 6 games and so our problems have been that we are not scoring enough goals - but the team are creating chances and so I do expect this to change as the season progresses.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 Sep 2023 12:43

I wouldn't like to write Selles off just yet, although hard to admit we have seen all this before. Positive that we do have a style of play and an identity as well as looking to blood through our youngsters, although it's probably not clicking at the moment.

Agree he deserves an opportunity to work this squad, I dare say he will need this season minimum to continually work with the group of players. I think the talk of relegation is a bit farfetched at the moment.

I'm definitely in the camp that we can't be using excuses for too long, but the reality is that Selles, or anyone for that matter, will probably need a season to get things moving.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Sep 2023 12:44

My guess is we’ll end about 11th. If Smith and Wing are as good as they might be we might challenge the play off positions

There’s been too much upheaval and uncertainty to be successful beyond that. We’ll go on some runs where we look great and others where we’ll be bullied out of it

Prob a fair chance if they keep up their current from Abbey and Ehibhatiomhan will be getting a fair bit of attention elsewhere at the end of the season and expect we’ll prob need to sell to balance the books

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 05 Sep 2023 12:51

I think any manager will fail here whilst Dai owns us to be honest. So whilst last night was frustrating and continues the rot over the last 5 years I feel a bit of empathy for Selles. Coming in late, had his hands tied with signings and with problems upstairs it's always going to be a tall order to turn us around.

Happy to give him time as long as we start grinding some wins and getting to at least midtable. If we stay down the bottom of the league around Christmas then questions will begin being asked and so they should be. The players we have are good enough to hold their own at this level. Dropping to league 2 would be even worse for the club and a massive blow to the youngsters confidence.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Sep 2023 12:56

Hound My guess is we’ll end about 11th. If Smith and Wing are as good as they might be we might challenge the play off positions

There’s been too much upheaval and uncertainty to be successful beyond that. We’ll go on some runs where we look great and others where we’ll be bullied out of it

Prob a fair chance if they keep up their current from Abbey and Ehibhatiomhan will be getting a fair bit of attention elsewhere at the end of the season and expect we’ll prob need to sell to balance the books

One sizeable sale a season should be a goal anyway. Try to avoid more than one though hopefully.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 05 Sep 2023 18:39

Hound My guess is we’ll end about 11th. If Smith and Wing are as good as they might be we might challenge the play off positions

We're also dealing with a lot of young players, who will make mistakes due to their inexperience. Our squad's average age is currently 23.4 (players listed on TransferMarkt), and to be in the oldest 25% of players you only have to be 25 or older. Only Peterborough seem to have a younger squad than us and they've not had an amazing start.

All our league games have been fairly close matches, with only the Stevenage game being settled by more than a single goal (and they had a player sent off).

Our xG this season suggests we'll finish around the play-off picture this season. Our primary weakness, as should be obvious to anyone who's watched us this season, is in putting the ball in the net; we're scoring just under half a goal per game less than expected with the chances we've had, the fourth worst in the division. Smith and Ballard coming into the team should help improve that; Ejaria has the ability to improve our chance creation (our xG figure is mid-table).

Of the teams we've played so far this season, only Cheltenham (24th) wouldn't end up in the top half based on xG. Our next two league matches are sides you'd expected to finish in the top six on this measure, but then we play five sides in the following six (or six of the following eight) who are in the bottom ten so far. If we don't get results in that run, that's when people should start getting worried, but at the moment I maintain we're looking at a side who'll end up mid-table and are performing as such (even if the results have been worse than that).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Sep 2023 19:20

Clyde1998

We're also dealing with a lot of young players, who will make mistakes due to their inexperience. Our squad's average age is currently 23.4 (players listed on TransferMarkt), and to be in the oldest 25% of players you only have to be 25 or older. Only Peterborough seem to have a younger squad than us and they've not had an amazing start.

All our league games have been fairly close matches, with only the Stevenage game being settled by more than a single goal (and they had a player sent off).

Our xG this season suggests we'll finish around the play-off picture this season. Our primary weakness, as should be obvious to anyone who's watched us this season, is in putting the ball in the net; we're scoring just under half a goal per game less than expected with the chances we've had, the fourth worst in the division. Smith and Ballard coming into the team should help improve that; Ejaria has the ability to improve our chance creation (our xG figure is mid-table).

Of the teams we've played so far this season, only Cheltenham (24th) wouldn't end up in the top half based on xG. Our next two league matches are sides you'd expected to finish in the top six on this measure, but then we play five sides in the following six (or six of the following eight) who are in the bottom ten so far. If we don't get results in that run, that's when people should start getting worried, but at the moment I maintain we're looking at a side who'll end up mid-table and are performing as such (even if the results have been worse than that).

Apart from the xG stuff, which is guff, pretty good stuff.

On Strings

by On Strings » 05 Sep 2023 19:22

Sutekh Bit early but the way things a running with the club at the moment high comedy is expected.

FOFF

What is it with unrealistic so called supporters? We're not competing for promotion this season, we never were! We were most likely going down again until Carey/Bowen/Selles worked wonders in the transfer market without a penny to rub together!

This season is about learning and developing a team who hopefully in 12 months will be able to have a real go at top six. Anything above 21st is a success this season!

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 05 Sep 2023 19:42

No strong views either way about Selles but he came across as pretty despondent last night in interview and it felt as though he was disappointed that he is not getting through to the players and they are not carrying out his instructions.

It looks as though this season is too early for Carson and as he is still on the books I would hope that things get patched up between Selles and NGW sooner rather than later.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Sep 2023 19:48

On Strings
Sutekh Bit early but the way things a running with the club at the moment high comedy is expected.

FOFF

What is it with unrealistic so called supporters? We're not competing for promotion this season, we never were! We were most likely going down again until Carey/Bowen/Selles worked wonders in the transfer market without a penny to rub together!

This season is about learning and developing a team who hopefully in 12 months will be able to have a real go at top six. Anything above 21st is a success this season!

Other side of the same coin there.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 05 Sep 2023 19:54

South Coast Royal No strong views either way about Selles but he came across as pretty despondent last night in interview and it felt as though he was disappointed that he is not getting through to the players and they are not carrying out his instructions.

It looks as though this season is too early for Carson and as he is still on the books I would hope that things get patched up between Selles and NGW sooner rather than later.

I think the international break has come at a good time for Carson. He's the regular who seems most out of his depth so far and the break will allow the him some time to work on a few things. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mola start against Bolton though. NGW did play for the U21s against Arsenal, so hopefully he'll be involved in the first team squad at some point in the near future. Carson may benefit from a spell out the side to take a bit of the pressure off of him; teams have been targetting him in recent matches and he's struggling a bit because of it.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 05 Sep 2023 20:09

Snowflake Royal

January? When the transfer Window is limited, by then we may well be truly fxcked and struggling in this league.
I'll say November, personally I'm getting beyond caring, we will probably only appoint another clone of Ince or Selles.
We will get it wrong again.
Last season if we had snatched Warnock before Huddersfield we would still be a Championship club. If we had taken Jones or Wilder I guarantee we would have been 6 points better off already. But we never learn nowadays. Experience speaks volumes....and Selles ain't got any.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 05 Sep 2023 20:17

I'm fed up with appointing shit managers. I'm fed up with holding onto bad managers for too long. Until Dai sells up nothing will change.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 05 Sep 2023 20:57

Good stuff all, 6 games into the season, and with a points deduction and chaos pre season, and we've got to 4 pages on sacking the manager.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Sep 2023 21:14

Ascotexgunner
Snowflake Royal

January? When the transfer Window is limited, by then we may well be truly fxcked and struggling in this league.
I'll say November, personally I'm getting beyond caring, we will probably only appoint another clone of Ince or Selles.
Last season if we had snatched Warnock before Huddersfield we would still be a Championship club. If we had taken Jones or Wilder I guarantee we would have been 6 points better off already. But we never learn nowadays. Experience speaks volumes....and Selles ain't got any.

Ince and Selles couldn’t be any more different. Suspect wilder would have walked long ago if he actually ever signed in the first place.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Sep 2023 21:24

Ascotexgunner
Snowflake Royal

By the same extension Pardew and McDermott were poor appointments. Both actually had bumpy starts - remember 4-1 away at Plymouth? McDermott lived off a good cup result for the first 6 weeks or so.

859 posts