Selles out

859 posts

Should Selles be shown the door now before the inevitable mid season sacking

Yes (and appoint Ian)
46%
No (it's a wonderful appointment and he'll get the club to scale heights never before seen at Reading)
43%
He won't be appointed in the first place
10%

Total votes: 69
72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Selles out

by 72 bus » 01 Nov 2023 00:24

Snowflake Royal
Vision
Royal_jimmy
The selections are a sign of a man under pressure and not knowing his best 11

Do any of us know our best 11?

It’s a bit chicken and egg. Do we keep losing games because the manager doesn’t know his best 11 or does he not know his best 11 because we keep losing games?

We have a large squad of mainly young players and some experience so there are many permutations especially given how diverse our league and cup results have been.

In my opinion for better or worse he needs to settle on an 11 for a handful of games regardless of age and whatever certain optics say . Then you can use that as a base moving forward .

Truth is we’re a side that had no real pre season and have been operating as such ever since.

Don’t care about formation ( because I agree with Selles it’s about your style of play rather than a particular number set up) just be consistent with personnel for a short time.

No probably we don't. Although I reckon most of us would have cottoned on quicker that it didn't include Mola, Carson (yet), Bindon (at RB) or the 4-2-2-2 bollox he was playing.

There's few standout players in the squad... Wing and Button are probably the only ones. But there are a lot of decent quality players that in the right combination should work. Although the longer Selles has them losing and their confidence in tatters and desperation creeping in the fewer and fewer will work.

If they weren't both left footed I'd say the best CB pairing is McIntyre and Abbey, I'm not sure how comfortable either would be on the right side though. But I'd like to see two of Holmes, McIntyre, Mbengue, Abbey and Bindon... except Holmes and McIntyre (both too slow) or Abbey and Bindon (both too raw).

There's few standout players in the squad... Wing and Button are probably the only ones.
Stand out for what ? they must sound great on the radio but trust us they are far from standout players.
Vickers, Abbey, Bindon (when played in the proper position) Elliot (if he ever gets a start) the rest are bang average.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Nov 2023 07:32

72 bus
Snowflake Royal
Vision

It’s a bit chicken and egg. Do we keep losing games because the manager doesn’t know his best 11 or does he not know his best 11 because we keep losing games?

We have a large squad of mainly young players and some experience so there are many permutations especially given how diverse our league and cup results have been.

In my opinion for better or worse he needs to settle on an 11 for a handful of games regardless of age and whatever certain optics say . Then you can use that as a base moving forward .

Truth is we’re a side that had no real pre season and have been operating as such ever since.

Don’t care about formation ( because I agree with Selles it’s about your style of play rather than a particular number set up) just be consistent with personnel for a short time.

No probably we don't. Although I reckon most of us would have cottoned on quicker that it didn't include Mola, Carson (yet), Bindon (at RB) or the 4-2-2-2 bollox he was playing.

There's few standout players in the squad... Wing and Button are probably the only ones. But there are a lot of decent quality players that in the right combination should work. Although the longer Selles has them losing and their confidence in tatters and desperation creeping in the fewer and fewer will work.

If they weren't both left footed I'd say the best CB pairing is McIntyre and Abbey, I'm not sure how comfortable either would be on the right side though. But I'd like to see two of Holmes, McIntyre, Mbengue, Abbey and Bindon... except Holmes and McIntyre (both too slow) or Abbey and Bindon (both too raw).

There's few standout players in the squad... Wing and Button are probably the only ones.
Stand out for what ? they must sound great on the radio but trust us they are far from standout players.
Vickers, Abbey, Bindon (when played in the proper position) Elliot (if he ever gets a start) the rest are bang average.

All of them have great talent, but that doesn't make them standout performers in the way I mean. They're all to inexperienced and make too many costly mistakes as a result, at the moment.

Give them a year or two and they probably will be. What we need riggt now is reliability as much as raw talent though.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 01 Nov 2023 07:51

Snowflake Royal
72 bus
Snowflake Royal No probably we don't. Although I reckon most of us would have cottoned on quicker that it didn't include Mola, Carson (yet), Bindon (at RB) or the 4-2-2-2 bollox he was playing.

All of them have great talent, but that doesn't make them standout performers in the way I mean. They're all to inexperienced and make too many costly mistakes as a result, at the moment.

Give them a year or two and they probably will be. What we need riggt now is reliability as much as raw talent though.

In a year or two they'll be smashing it for other clubs while we play the next batch of not quite ready youngsters.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Nov 2023 07:54

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal
72 bus

In a year or two they'll be smashing it for other clubs while we play Wokingham & Emmbrook.

Fixed for you.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Nov 2023 08:04

Elm Park Kid
Snowflake Royal
Vision

As long as i've been on HNA, the general opinion has always seemed to be that the reason we lose games is because the manager knows less about football than the people on here. It's never been that either the players aren't good enough or that other external factors are to blame. It's always - 100% of the time - supposedly the manager's fault. I've got to say that we've been really unlucky that every manager has known less about the sport than HNA posters - i'm mean, what are the chances? That a professional football manager with years experience is less able to understand who are best players are and what formation to use than Snowflake Royal?

How many of our recent managers were a success in their previous, job, here or their subsequent job?

Stam? 1st season, but no.
Clement? No.
Gomes? LOL No.
Bowen? Reasonably, then no.
Paunovic? For about 3 months, but no.
Ince? Good lord no.
Selles? LMFAO, no.

Show me a good manager for RFC, and I'll show you someone the smart fans can't make better selection and broad tactical decisions than.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 01 Nov 2023 08:56

Snowflake Royal
Vision
Royal_jimmy
The selections are a sign of a man under pressure and not knowing his best 11

Based on what you have mentioned about the CB's, is 3 at the back the way to go then? Holmes, Abbey, McIntyre could be decent and it gives us a platform going forward and it means that our full backs are less exposed and can afford to be higher up the pitch. Maybe a 3-4-3?

Button
Holmes Abbey McIntyre
Yiadom/Mbengue Savage Wing NGW
Azeez Smith Knibbs

Obviously a lot of quality, experience and/or potential outside the first XI with the likes of Dean, Carson, Mola (not sure which category he falls under of the 3 mentioned at the moment though), Elliot, Hutchinson, Vickers, Ballard, Kelvin E etc. Some fringe options like Rushesha and Craig missing as well.

Not suggesting that above is my preferred XI or anything, but we could maybe justify something like that which can potentially bring out a little more in the team. The only issue I've got is then we've got a lot of forwards not involved from the start and where do they come into the team. other than a like-for-like swap for Smith.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Nov 2023 10:41

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
Vision

Based on what you have mentioned about the CB's, is 3 at the back the way to go then? Holmes, Abbey, McIntyre could be decent and it gives us a platform going forward and it means that our full backs are less exposed and can afford to be higher up the pitch. Maybe a 3-4-3?

Button
Holmes Abbey McIntyre
Azeez Smith Knibbs

Obviously a lot of quality, experience and/or potential outside the first XI with the likes of Dean, Carson, Mola (not sure which category he falls under of the 3 mentioned at the moment though), Elliot, Hutchinson, Vickers, Ballard, Kelvin E etc. Some fringe options like Rushesha and Craig missing as well.

Not suggesting that above is my preferred XI or anything, but we could maybe justify something like that which can potentially bring out a little more in the team. The only issue I've got is then we've got a lot of forwards not involved from the start and where do they come into the team. other than a like-for-like swap for Smith.

There are lots of options.

I tend to think no for that trio because it puts the slow ones covering in behind the fullbacks and that was a weakness previously.

Certainly not against 3 cbs though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Nov 2023 10:46

3 at the back could be an option as it does fundamentally change the way you play a lot of the time

The formations generally are just numbers thrown together - if you look at the position maps of each of our players this season you’d do very well to pick anything out of it other than we have 2 centre backs (maybe that’s the issue, lack of positional discipline)

But generally Selles seems to have the balance wrong somewhere. We shouldn’t be conceding the chances we do. Too open, I think we press too much at the wrong times. For all the talk of playing better against Pompey, Button seems to have saved us from a hiding

Interestingly, the aggressive pressing approach seems to be working a treat for the u21. Prob the opposition doesn’t have the know how or experience to deal with it. Hardened professionals know how to play through it

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 01 Nov 2023 10:51

Snowflake Royal
Elm Park Kid
Snowflake Royal No probably we don't. Although I reckon most of us would have cottoned on quicker that it didn't include Mola, Carson (yet), Bindon (at RB) or the 4-2-2-2 bollox he was playing.

As long as i've been on HNA, the general opinion has always seemed to be that the reason we lose games is because the manager knows less about football than the people on here. It's never been that either the players aren't good enough or that other external factors are to blame. It's always - 100% of the time - supposedly the manager's fault. I've got to say that we've been really unlucky that every manager has known less about the sport than HNA posters - i'm mean, what are the chances? That a professional football manager with years experience is less able to understand who are best players are and what formation to use than Snowflake Royal?

How many of our recent managers were a success in their previous, job, here or their subsequent job?

Clement? No.
Gomes? LOL No.
Ince? Good lord no.
Selles? LMFAO, no.

Show me a good manager for RFC, and I'll show you someone the smart fans can't make better selection and broad tactical decisions than.

I’m sure someone will have beaten me to it, but Steve Clarke

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 01 Nov 2023 11:00

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Button
Holmes Abbey McIntyre
Azeez Smith Knibbs

There are lots of options.

I tend to think no for that trio because it puts the slow ones covering in behind the fullbacks and that was a weakness previously.

Certainly not against 3 cbs though.

What I would say then is that it's more about positional sense rather than pace itself directly. Abbey can also cover in behind as well. Bindon also wouldn't be a bad option in any of those positions perhaps.

What it would solve is that it means the full backs become less exposed defensively and can afford to be higher up the pitch, it also means we might not need a holding midfielder either with 3 at the back as well and we don't really have a dedicated DM at the moment Hutch isn't one for me and McIntyre could develop there but we need some ready-made players somewhere).

You could possibly slot Vickers into one of the wider areas and allow him to drift inside off the channel perhaps as his movement is quite good as well. It just seems as if we need to balance out our squad a little bit though, we have numbers across the pitch and individual quality, we just can't seem to fit it in everywhere.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Nov 2023 12:20

Franchise FC
Snowflake Royal
Elm Park Kid

Clement? No.
Gomes? LOL No.
Ince? Good lord no.
Selles? LMFAO, no.

I think you're stretching 'recent' to breaking point there, he left in 2015.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 01 Nov 2023 12:50

Snowflake Royal
Franchise FC
Snowflake Royal How many of our recent managers were a success in their previous, job, here or their subsequent job?

Clement? No.
Gomes? LOL No.
Ince? Good lord no.
Selles? LMFAO, no.

Time flies when you're enjoying yourself (and when you're old)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Nov 2023 13:20

Franchise FC
Snowflake Royal
Franchise FC I’m sure someone will have beaten me to it, but Steve Clarke

I'm really looking forward to the next weeks / months flying by.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 01 Nov 2023 17:01

Franchise FC
Snowflake Royal
Franchise FC I’m sure someone will have beaten me to it, but Steve Clarke

Time goes by quicker when you’re older because it’s relative to how much time you’ve experienced. I.e 1 year represents 20% of a 5 year old’s life but only 2.5% of a 40 year old’s life.

Not relevant and no idea if it’s true but it sounds like it makes sense.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Nov 2023 17:23

CountryRoyal
Franchise FC
Snowflake Royal I think you're stretching 'recent' to breaking point there, he left in 2015.

Time goes by quicker when you’re older because it’s relative to how much time you’ve experienced. I.e 1 year represents 20% of a 5 year old’s life but only 2.5% of a 40 year old’s life.

Not relevant and no idea if it’s true but it sounds like it makes sense.

Definitely true.

Time so changes depending on how fast you are traveling

under the tin

by under the tin » 01 Nov 2023 19:38

And it's also affected by which direction you are travelling.
It's all relative

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Nov 2023 09:16

Press conference today. That’ll be a fun one

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 02 Nov 2023 09:45

Hound Press conference today. That’ll be a fun one

Earnshaw, should just say “you’re fired”. I got my hopes up a bit on Sunday with Ashley’s helicopter arrival, but it’s all been going even more downhill since then.

I think a pitch invasion and getting the game abandoned against MK Dons is now a requirement.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 02 Nov 2023 09:53

blythspartan

Earnshaw, should just say “you’re fired”. I got my hopes up a bit on Sunday with Ashley’s helicopter arrival, but it’s all been going even more downhill since then.

I think a pitch invasion and getting the game abandoned against MK Dons is now a requirement.

They`re talking about the Bristol rovers game, could be a wasted journey for their 2000 fans.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 02 Nov 2023 09:59

blythspartan

How will a pitch invasion help ?
Guarantees another points deduction making us less attractive to a buyer, will antagonise the EFL even more making future sanctions even harsher.

859 posts