Selles out

859 posts

Should Selles be shown the door now before the inevitable mid season sacking

Yes (and appoint Ian)
46%
No (it's a wonderful appointment and he'll get the club to scale heights never before seen at Reading)
43%
He won't be appointed in the first place
10%

Total votes: 69
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Selles out

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Nov 2023 16:22

Hound
WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal There was a vocal minority frothing at the mouth because he'd 'stabbed Gomes in the back and appointed himself'. I don't think that's the same thing.

We were his first managerial role; most of his career was assistant to Mark Hughes. Add in the perception that he appointed himself and people were definitely miffed. But fair play, he did pretty well.

As an aside, how would people feel if he sent an SOS to his old mate Mark who is currently available? It would be a yes from me. Would need new owners to fund it, obviously.

Did have this same thought, depends on how motivated Hughes is to get back in

Basically offer it him the way ince was. Caretaker and if it’s goes well then he has a shot at taking over. Or at least putting himself back in the shop window

Not sure if I’d be keen. Obvs better than Selles but most managers would be. Actually think a low rent Warnock type like Cotteril may be the best bet atm

Mentioned it on another thread but Matt Taylor, recently sacked by Rotherham, might not a bad shout. Good track record and longevity at Exeter, got them out of L2 (which is where we look increasingly likely to be at the moment) and consolidated well in L1. Also did well at Rotherham up until recently with his back very much against the wall financially.

Obviously would need new owners before anything else first, although think he might do better with a club with a higher ceiling than Rotherham (all that assuming the next owners can push us back up to Championship level).
Last edited by YorkshireRoyal99 on 13 Nov 2023 16:28, edited 1 time in total.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Nov 2023 16:24

I'd love to see us go for Richie Wellens. Could the new owners sell a short term step backwards for a project with more potential? Plus, my Orient supporting friend would be absolutely fuming.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 13 Nov 2023 16:29

Matt Taylor's Exeter were easy to watch and they ran on modest finances. Taylor utilised the younger players at his disposal and Exeter were sad to see him go, but he earned the chance and kept the Millers up without signings, a decent, hardworking chap, for sure!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Nov 2023 16:51

YorkshireRoyal99
Hound
WestYorksRoyal We were his first managerial role; most of his career was assistant to Mark Hughes. Add in the perception that he appointed himself and people were definitely miffed. But fair play, he did pretty well.

As an aside, how would people feel if he sent an SOS to his old mate Mark who is currently available? It would be a yes from me. Would need new owners to fund it, obviously.

Did have this same thought, depends on how motivated Hughes is to get back in

Basically offer it him the way ince was. Caretaker and if it’s goes well then he has a shot at taking over. Or at least putting himself back in the shop window

Not sure if I’d be keen. Obvs better than Selles but most managers would be. Actually think a low rent Warnock type like Cotteril may be the best bet atm

Mentioned it on another thread but Matt Taylor, recently sacked by Rotherham, might not a bad shout. Good track record and longevity at Exeter, got them out of L2 (which is where we look increasingly likely to be at the moment) and consolidated well in L1. Also did well at Rotherham up until recently with his back very much against the wall financially.

Obviously would need new owners before anything else first, although think he might do better with a club with a higher ceiling than Rotherham (all that assuming the next owners can push us back up to Championship level).

Yeah fair shout. Rotherham are always dire in the champ no matter who is in charge. Thought the sacking a bit harsh

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 13 Nov 2023 16:57

I'm somehow only just getting to the point where I'm debating if going to matches is worth it, if they sack Selles, they'd secure my services for another month of shit results at least.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 13 Nov 2023 17:13

WestYorksRoyal I'd love to see us go for Richie Wellens. Could the new owners sell a short term step backwards for a project with more potential? Plus, my Orient supporting friend would be absolutely fuming.

Expect our embargo means we can't pay compensation for managers, as well as players. Plus he'd be mental to leave Orient for Reading right now.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Nov 2023 17:45

Pepe the Horseman
WestYorksRoyal I'd love to see us go for Richie Wellens. Could the new owners sell a short term step backwards for a project with more potential? Plus, my Orient supporting friend would be absolutely fuming.

Expect our embargo means we can't pay compensation for managers, as well as players. Plus he'd be mental to leave Orient for Reading right now.

Don't know about the embargo and staff. But if we got in good owners and sold a project, we could absolutely convince players and staff to drop down and get involved. Just look at all the players who were willing to join Wrexham in the NL. No offence to Orient, but what is their ceiling? Sneak into playoffs, get promoted and be Championship fodder like Scunthorpe, Burton Albion and Wycombe? Whereas you could feasibly do an Eddie Howe at Bournemouth style L2 to PL with us.

All hinges on the outcome the takeover.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Nov 2023 18:57

WestYorksRoyal
Pepe the Horseman

Don't know about the embargo and staff. But if we got in good owners and sold a project, we could absolutely convince players and staff to drop down and get involved. Just look at all the players who were willing to join Wrexham in the NL. No offence to Orient, but what is their ceiling? Sneak into playoffs, get promoted and be Championship fodder like Scunthorpe, Burton Albion and Wycombe? Whereas you could feasibly do an Eddie Howe at Bournemouth style L2 to PL with us.

All hinges on the outcome the takeover.

Wrexham have got away with massively overspending though. Different rules at different levels.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 13 Nov 2023 22:07

Richie Wellens sometimes attends our Unders matches to watch his son Charlie who's in the Academy. Would probably be easier to pitch a project to him than some of the managers out there.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 14 Nov 2023 09:01

I have just listened to Hutchinson’s interview on BBCRB and from what he didn’t say I believe Selles has lost the dressing room. Dellor asked him the question about the whole squad being behind Selles and Hutch didn’t give a resounding yes.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 14 Nov 2023 09:22

blythspartan I have just listened to Hutchinson’s interview on BBCRB and from what he didn’t say I believe Selles has lost the dressing room. Dellor asked him the question about the whole squad being behind Selles and Hutch didn’t give a resounding yes.

He clearly has no confidence in him. Talks about trying to do what the manager tells them and it not working.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Nov 2023 09:33

In an ideal world, tonight is Selles' last game.

We had a match on Saturday, then tonight. The obvious replacement is Hunt as it will need to be an internal appointment and the U21s had a game last night, so didn't make sense to disrupt that esp as tonight is a dead rubber.

Get the game out of the way, put Selles on gardening leave tomorrow and have Hunt prepare the side for the defeat at Wycombe.

The Cap
Hob Nob Regular

by The Cap » 14 Nov 2023 09:35

blythspartan I have just listened to Hutchinson’s interview on BBCRB and from what he didn’t say I believe Selles has lost the dressing room. Dellor asked him the question about the whole squad being behind Selles and Hutch didn’t give a resounding yes.

Totally agree. And when Dellor tried to force Selles' hand on the left back situation, as in having played seven players in that position over the course of sixteen games, he started to mumble and stumble, and get quite shirty.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Nov 2023 09:40

Interesting quote from it on bbc website

‘I know what I would change, but that’s not up to me, I am not the manager. I am just a number’

Bit of a weird thing to say. Wonder what he would change…

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 14 Nov 2023 09:41

Stranded In an ideal world, tonight is Selles' last game.

We had a match on Saturday, then tonight. The obvious replacement is Hunt as it will need to be an internal appointment and the U21s had a game last night, so didn't make sense to disrupt that esp as tonight is a dead rubber.

Get the game out of the way, put Selles on gardening leave tomorrow and have Hunt prepare the side for the defeat at Wycombe.

Spoiler: he will still be manager for the Wycombe game.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Nov 2023 09:50

Hound Interesting quote from it on bbc website

‘I know what I would change, but that’s not up to me, I am not the manager. I am just a number’

Apart from his views on manager, i took from the interview that he believes too many young players are in starting 11 and the team needs to be filled with experience heads - that was my take and where he was going.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Nov 2023 09:52

If I was Selles I'd be too ashamed of how I was doing to continue.

I mean, you know you're only in post because the owner doesn’t care enough to sack you. You're gone as soon a takeover is completed.

About half the players and staff think you're useless.

Just have some self respect, it can't be good for his mental health and happiness. Just resign.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 14 Nov 2023 09:54

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up but from watching the Unders coaching team last night they were noticeably less animated compared to the game I watch a couple of weeks ago. Therefore judging by their body language and general demeaner it was fairly obvious that they knew this was their last game in charge of the U23s before taking over the first team. I think I even saw them signing a leaving card at half time. (It would be great if this second bit was true!)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Nov 2023 09:59

paultheroyal
Hound Interesting quote from it on bbc website

Apart from his views on manager, i took from the interview that he believes too many young players are in starting 11 and the team needs to be filled with experience heads - that was my take and where he was going.

Yeah that would be the obvious thing. Suspect CB mainly

Whilst Binden is clearly a talent, he seems undroppable to Selles. Bit odd that. Not sure starting his career in this situation is the best thing for him long term

Typical Selles to keep him in whatever whilst banish Vickers who has had just as much of an impact

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 14 Nov 2023 10:09

WestYorksRoyal
Stranded In an ideal world, tonight is Selles' last game.

Spoiler: he will still be manager for the Wycombe game.

Not sure that can be classed as a spoiler.

859 posts