Do you agree with todays pitch invasion and match abandonment?

329 posts

Do you approve of the pitch invasion and causing the match abandonment?

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 135
Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Do you agree with todays pitch invasion and match abandonment?

by Clyde1998 » 14 Jan 2024 10:30

Brogue
WestYorksRoyal This poll is going to end 52-48 isn't it?

So far it seems most fans were in favour

I wonder what it would've been prior to this week's events. We've gone from the tennis balls being supported by a sizeable minority to getting games abandoned being in the majority very quickly.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jan 2024 10:36

I think it's a case that most people who argue against the action still respectvthe feelung behind it and support the right to do it.

And you can argue whether it's constructive or the best action as much as you like before it happens to try to influence against it, but once it's happened that's done and its time to send a united front.

I was against tennis ball disruptions during the game, I'd prefer a different protest or timing that doesn't interrupt play. But it did it's job and was mostly well handled, which is worth applauding those who did it.

Same for the pitch invasion. I think it's more harmful than helpful, and now was the wrong time. I didn’t think it should happen. But it has, so now we get behind it.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 14 Jan 2024 10:40

I was on the pitch and I couldn’t have been any happier I got on as enough is enough.

I’ve not thrown a tennis ball or gone on the match pre Pompey but last week’s news was the final act in what has been a disasterous ownership by the Yongge family and like others I fear the end is near.

It was good to see a few current/ex nobbers on as well.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 14 Jan 2024 10:42

Snowflake Royal I think it's a case that most people who argue against the action still respectvthe feelung behind it and support the right to do it.

And you can argue whether it's constructive or the best action as much as you like before it happens to try to influence against it, but once it's happened that's done and its time to send a united front.

I was against tennis ball disruptions during the game, I'd prefer a different protest or timing that doesn't interrupt play. But it did it's job and was mostly well handled, which is worth applauding those who did it.

Same for the pitch invasion. I think it's more harmful than helpful, and now was the wrong time. I didn’t think it should happen. But it has, so now we get behind it.

Do you mean wrong time in the Port Vale game or wrong time to do a pitch invasion in general? When is the right time?

Ten Bobsworth

by Ten Bobsworth » 14 Jan 2024 10:44

Snowflake Royal I think it's a case that most people who argue against the action still respectvthe feelung behind it and support the right to do it.

Get behind it with another futile gesture. That'll show 'em what you're made of.
Why not try to become preferred bidder like BWFCST did. They raised £50K.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 14 Jan 2024 10:49

Snowflake Royal
Royal_jimmy It's about god damn time we had a pitch invasion

Were you on the pitch Jimmy?

He wasn't even at the game.

Tom Clancey the II

by Tom Clancey the II » 14 Jan 2024 10:52

Genuinely conflicted about yesterday.

Was at the game, I am told that Sky Sports ignored what was going on. Bit of coverage in the papers today but mainstream reaction seems to be; 'Its only Reading who gives a toss'.

Downside will be match given to Vale, further points deduction and games being played behind closed doors. So has the protest shot itself in both feet?

EFL have a lot to answer for in terms of approving the current owner despite the obvious Red Flags at the time, but they are going to wash their hands and carry on kicking us in the cojones, as we are an easy target.

Kudos to the guy who got the wooden placard in the ground, couldn't see what it said, was it advertising new Kitchens?

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 14 Jan 2024 11:02

leon
Snowflake Royal
leon
If you're suffering fomo, you can always upgrade your radio.

Been in every part of the ground, if I want to attend, I'll go with the good, honest, positive and engaged folk of C1871, rather than the stuck up, passive, unengaged dull lot in UW

What? There was almost a fight in our section yesterday. Kicking off all over the place. You'd have loved it. Being the hard man that you are.

:lol:

Was that the guy arguing with people in the ‘club’ section in the middle. Never seen the UW get so feisty.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 14 Jan 2024 11:03

Tom Clancey the II Genuinely conflicted about yesterday.

Was at the game, I am told that Sky Sports ignored what was going on. Bit of coverage in the papers today but mainstream reaction seems to be; 'Its only Reading who gives a toss'.

Downside will be match given to Vale, further points deduction and games being played behind closed doors. So has the protest shot itself in both feet?

EFL have a lot to answer for in terms of approving the current owner despite the obvious Red Flags at the time, but they are going to wash their hands and carry on kicking us in the cojones, as we are an easy target.

Kudos to the guy who got the wooden placard in the ground, couldn't see what it said, was it advertising new Kitchens?

I think the mainstream media reaction of 'it's only Reading, who gives a toss?' is down to the mainstream media's default position being 'it's not the Premier League, who gives a toss?'.

I think we're beyond the point of needing to worry about the on-pitch situation - getting relegated or further points deductions are better than not having a club at all. The point now is we're at the stage where more extreme action (such as what we saw yesterday) is required to force a solution to the situation.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 14 Jan 2024 11:05

[quote="Tom Clancey the II"]Genuinely conflicted about yesterday.

Kudos to the guy who got the wooden placard in the ground, couldn't see what it said, was it advertising new Kitchens?[/quote

Only Sir John and Parky can save us now. Yes, Wrexham won again yesterday, and now only 2 points behind leaders Stockport with a game in hand! LOFL Despair said he couldn't man-manage.

Mr Sitter

by Mr Sitter » 14 Jan 2024 11:14

I was against trying for an abandonment before yesterday and even during the invasion I thought the protesters should have left the pitch before the game was called off.

My reasoning was that I don’t think it will have any effect on Mr Dai and the EFL, for all their contribution to the situation, now wish to bar Dai from ownership so it’s hard to see them beefing up that policy any further.

However, now the dust has settled, I don’t think leaving the pitch and allowing the game to be finished would have had anything like the same impact that the abandonment has had and that impact has been impressive. I think SBWD has done well in raising awareness of our plight but the abandonment has brought it back into the public eye.

I still think any punishment which affects the club financially could be very damaging and the long term benefits of the abandonment to the cause remain to be seen but at least those fans yesterday did something and I’m feeling more comfortable with it now it’s happened.

Garry Baldy

by Garry Baldy » 14 Jan 2024 11:20

Wasn't sure before the game but didn't have a problem if people wanted to do it. As the protest continued, I felt the point had been made and the game should resume.

Having thought about it overnight, I now believe it was absolutely the right thing to do. Furthermore, I think there should be protests at every home game from now on. The publicity would ramp up with football governance and club ownership becoming front and centre of national debate.

I've been a supporter since 1967 and it's breaking my heart to see the destruction of my club. Yes, we will incur further sanctions but, really, what else is there to lose.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 14 Jan 2024 11:26

jd82
leon
Snowflake Royal Been in every part of the ground, if I want to attend, I'll go with the good, honest, positive and engaged folk of C1871, rather than the stuck up, passive, unengaged dull lot in UW

What? There was almost a fight in our section yesterday. Kicking off all over the place. You'd have loved it. Being the hard man that you are.

Was that the guy arguing with people in the ‘club’ section in the middle. Never seen the UW get so feisty.

Yeah it was! Bloke in a leather jacket. Where were you?

(wasn't you was it? I did suggest he/you stop being "such a cnut you fcuking twat :shock: )

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jan 2024 11:27

NathStPaul

Do you mean wrong time in the Port Vale game or wrong time to do a pitch invasion in general? When is the right time?

Invasion and abandonment comes with the risk of points deductions, fines and matches behind closed doors. All things that currently hurt the club badly.

For me, the time for them is for when hope of staying up is gone. So after we sell our best players or end up back at 6+ points adrift. So no sooner than mid-Feb. Which still leaves more than two months of the season, plus the close season and preseason for something to save us long term.

We've just clawed our way back to being in solid contention to pull clear of relegation and could have been back out of the zone with a win yesterday. I think the better shape we're in off the pitch, the more likely someone is going to be yo meet Dai's valuation, because he sure as hell isn’t going to lower it, and couldn't give a rats arse if we fold.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 14 Jan 2024 11:32

Mr Sitter
I still think any punishment which affects the club financially could be very damaging and the long term benefits of the abandonment to the cause remain to be seen but at least those fans yesterday did something and I’m feeling more comfortable with it now it’s happened.

Seems to have been forgotten why pitch invasions were made illegal. Not always peacefull. With match officials, players and other supporters at risk of harm. There's plentry of mindless morons in this world unfortunately who attach themselves to football clubs and call themselves supporters.

A quote from the EFL in 2022.

“Let’s be crystal clear: it is a criminal offence to enter the field of play. Any supporter doing so risks being arrested and receiving a club ban, a Football Banning Order, and a criminal record.”

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 14 Jan 2024 11:57

leon
jd82
leon

Yeah it was! Bloke in a leather jacket. Where were you?

(wasn't you was it? I did suggest he/you stop being "such a cnut you fcuking twat :shock: )

A couple of rows back from him, just the other side of the barrier.
Last edited by jd82 on 14 Jan 2024 12:00, edited 1 time in total.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 14 Jan 2024 11:59

Clyde1998
Brogue
WestYorksRoyal This poll is going to end 52-48 isn't it?

I wonder what it would've been prior to this week's events. We've gone from the tennis balls being supported by a sizeable minority to getting games abandoned being in the majority very quickly.

The people are becoming more radicalised!

It won’t be long until we have a sizeable majority supporting an armed terror campaign against Dai and the EFL.

I’m happy to stockpile weapons and rockets in my school for SBWD. Just hit me up over PM.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 14 Jan 2024 12:00

Snowflake Royal
Royal_jimmy It's about god damn time we had a pitch invasion

Were you on the pitch Jimmy?

Yup

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jan 2024 12:01

St Pauli
Clyde1998
Brogue

The people are becoming more radicalised!

It won’t be long until we have a sizeable majority supporting an armed terror campaign against Dai and the EFL.

I’m happy to stockpile weapons and rockets in my school for SBWD. Just hit me up over PM.

A little part of me would very much like a little bit of mob justice for Mr Dai Yongge, no matter how much it goes against what I think of as right and acceptable.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 14 Jan 2024 12:03

RG30 I was on the pitch and I couldn’t have been any happier I got on as enough is enough.

I’ve not thrown a tennis ball or gone on the match pre Pompey but last week’s news was the final act in what has been a disasterous ownership by the Yongge family and like others I fear the end is near.

It was good to see a few current/ex nobbers on as well.

Good lad and good on the ones who didn't leave. I never want a match abandoned but it was a way of sticking 2 fingers up to the EFL and get media attention. Don't think it'll have a big impact on Dai.

329 posts