Embargos, HMRC Payment defaults, non payment of wages, the usual under Dai Wrongge

2662 posts
MartinRdg

Re: Embargos, HMRC Payment defaults, non payment of wages, the usual under Dai Wrongge

by MartinRdg » 17 May 2024 11:26

Franchise FC
blueroyals I love that the agent had the cojones to send an unsolicited invoice for £800,000 without a formal contract in place. And he seemed genuinely surprised when we didn't pay it

I too would like to try my luck invoicing random companies for ~1 million pounds, you never know :lol: :lol:

There was (and possibly still is) a major scam where a group would issue invoices for relatively small amounts to thousands of companies and it’s surprising how many simply paid them because their systems basically just approve anything up to a certain level

From what I reme they only got caught because they upped the values and that raised questions
Greed will always get you in the end

I used to work at a company where we had many big companies as customers including banks and you'd be surprised how often these banks would manage to double-pay an invoice for 6 figure sums so for them to pay small amounts is not a surprise.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Embargos, HMRC Payment defaults, non payment of wages, the usual under Dai Wrongge

by RoyalBlue » 17 May 2024 16:16

Sutekh The FA really don't help themselves do they? 5 years for this to be sorted plus, it seems, precedents have been much less harsh. Question has to be asked though, how did they go down this route in the first place, they must have known it's illegal. Would the agent concerned also face some form of punishment?

Unless I misread/misunderstood things, the FA were also pushing for a fine of £400K! The Independent Commission decided otherwise though.

Perhaps the FA, like the EFL, are just vindictive bastards? Or maybe they deliberately push for extreme punishments, knowing that the Independent Commission will go for something less, so that that they can use that to emphasise the so-called independence of said commission?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 May 2024 20:46

South Coast Royal
Franchise FC
blueroyals I love that the agent had the cojones to send an unsolicited invoice for £800,000 without a formal contract in place. And he seemed genuinely surprised when we didn't pay it

I too would like to try my luck invoicing random companies for ~1 million pounds, you never know :lol: :lol:

There was (and possibly still is) a major scam where a group would issue invoices for relatively small amounts to thousands of companies and it’s surprising how many simply paid them because their systems basically just approve anything up to a certain level

From what I reme they only got caught because they upped the values and that raised questions

Wasn't there another scam implemented by bank employees where somehow they pocketed all the fractions of a penny and minor percentages later on of pennies in decimal currency.
With billions of transactions involved those minor amounts added up.

That's the plot of a Superman movie and Office Space.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 19 May 2024 17:44

The FA It seems to us that [with respect to Howe] it ought to be possible for the club to find other suitably experienced professionals to manage the sale of the club, if need be

They clearly haven't been paying much attention.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 May 2024 19:11

Orion1871
The FA It seems to us that [with respect to Howe] it ought to be possible for the club to find other suitably experienced professionals to manage the sale of the club, if need be

They clearly haven't been paying much attention.

They're clearly clueless.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 20 May 2024 11:11

didnt know where to put this so I guess here is as good as any but if man city get found guilty we could be in for a 750k windfall

https://rdg.today/why-reading-fc-and-ot ... -breaches/

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 May 2024 11:19

Brogue didnt know where to put this so I guess here is as good as any but if man city get found guilty we could be in for a 750k windfall

https://rdg.today/why-reading-fc-and-ot ... -breaches/

Well that'll be something to look forward to in a decade or so.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 May 2024 12:26

LOL, some slot machine nerds have used some vague data to calculate what money everyone else would have had if City hadn't competed in the PL and were not replaced by anyone else.

Even if they get found guilty of most counts and stripped of their titles, this won't happen.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 20 May 2024 13:12

ian has spoken

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 20 May 2024 13:18

City might get found guilty on one of their charges, then fined about £50 and that'll be the end of it as far as the authorities are concerned.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 May 2024 14:55

JedMaxwell City might get found guilty on one of their charges, then fined about £50 and that'll be the end of it as far as the authorities are concerned.

Surely not :?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 20 May 2024 21:40

Sutekh
JedMaxwell City might get found guilty on one of their charges, then fined about £50 and that'll be the end of it as far as the authorities are concerned.

Surely not :?

I don’t know enough of most of the charges to comment.
The one section I know anything about at all is the ‘inflated sponsorship’ bit
City will win those because who is to say what any sponsorship deal is ‘worth’ ?
Takes the list down to c105

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 21 May 2024 11:22

MartinRdg
Franchise FC

I used to work at a company where we had many big companies as customers including banks and you'd be surprised how often these banks would manage to double-pay an invoice for 6 figure sums so for them to pay small amounts is not a surprise.

I've seen "Advertisement in Magazine £1,000" on the invoice from some marketing agency, The scam is they claim someone there booked it and they have a copy of the magazine they can send to prove it. This scam agency was in Liverpool and they would have gotten away with it because the dopey Marketing Director signed it off for payment, however someone in her team was a Scouser and they spotted it was a scam because they once got sent to work for that company and walked out when they explained how the scam worked as she wanted no part of it.

The larger companies tend to have controls in place - nothing gets paid unless a valid Purchase Order is provided, the small companies are so small everyone knows what they're spending, but the medium companies have no controls and spend enough on marketing to not remember or miss £1,000.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 23 May 2024 11:59

If an invoice doesn't quote a purchase order that matches one that was approved it isn't getting paid. Unless you operate your company without any sort of accounting / finance software this scam would never work. I didn't do that, even as a sole trader.

Auto approval under a certain value still needs to meet certain criteria, such as the PO being valid.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 24 May 2024 12:59

MartinRdg
Franchise FC

I've found instances where the company I worked for recharged costs to another company and recharged it twice, then their finance team refused to accept the credit because we didn't have enough backup for it, so I said no problem, we won't recharge the credit and they were happy with that :roll:

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 24 May 2024 13:02

Armadillo Roadkill If an invoice doesn't quote a purchase order that matches one that was approved it isn't getting paid. Unless you operate your company without any sort of accounting / finance software this scam would never work. I didn't do that, even as a sole trader.

Auto approval under a certain value still needs to meet certain criteria, such as the PO being valid.
Plenty of companies have directors who just approve spend outside the system.

Even where I work they have some "other supplier" manual payments going through and I then question that we have to identical payments made for what appears to be the same thing, so they they have to go ask for a refund :roll:

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 03 Jun 2024 08:32

Is it right to assume that everyone got paid, on time and in full, at the end of May?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Jun 2024 08:49

Mr Angry Is it right to assume that everyone got paid, on time and in full, at the end of May?

Yes the did according to James Earnshaw.

So someone is still paying the bills.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 03 Jun 2024 09:06

Stranded
Mr Angry Is it right to assume that everyone got paid, on time and in full, at the end of May?

I just hope they haven’t had to start spending the season ticket money already.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Jun 2024 09:21

blythspartan
Stranded

I just hope they haven’t had to start spending the season ticket money already.

Would it be early? ST money is generally used to fund clubs over the summer when they have no other income.

2662 posts