TAKEOVER *NOT* CONFIMRED

3809 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: TAKEOVER *NOT* CONFIMRED

by Sutekh » 28 Nov 2023 11:31

Exclusivity expected to be given today/tomorrow, club hoping it can all be completed and signed off by January, or just into the new year at the latest.

FL are thought to also have been involved in talks to help getting the right things in place and to enable a speedier passage through ODT etc.

Talal Al-Hammad I believe is a partner at Genevra and so has been involved in that respect, it should be noted though that Genevra were not involved at Wigan. Wigan's story is that in 2020 they were sold to a Hong Kong outfit called Next Leader Fund who immediately refused to invest promised funds which pushed the club into administration earning a 12 point deduction and relegation to the third tier.

After much discussion the administrators eventually found a buyer for the club, Phoenix 2021, led by a Bahrain based businessman, Abdulrahman Al-Jasmi. Mr Al-Hammad was also part of the Phoenix bid and was installed as club chairman. Wigan won the third tier title in their first full season under their new owners to return to the Championship for 2022/23 but hit "liquidity" problems leading to several late payments of wages towrds the end of that season and into this. Wigan were then sold (again) to Wigan-born billionaire and Wigan Warriors RLFC co-owner Mike Danson over the summer.

So one would presume that Mr Al-Hammad (now resigned from Phoenix 2021) would become the next Reading chairman if the deal is successful but that might not be the case. I believe that initially at Wigan he was well liked and things went well but I can't find anything specific on what caused the liquidity issues but it should be noted that Genevra are a different set up to Phoenix 2021 and therefore the finances should be structured in a different manner and sourced from different funds.

So while it should be an improvement and more stable situation for the club as a whole I think the change in ownership will still be of a concern to all until things settle in a bit and we can all see how it it affects the vital parts such as team affairs and in its communication strategy (let's face it that last one shouldn't be too difficult to improve).

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 28 Nov 2023 12:11

Brogue
Norfolk Royal
Mr Angry

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What is it that you’ve been told exclusively?

:oops: Exclusively told exclusivity for the preferred bidder will be announced next week :?

Just going to put one of these here… 8) doubters gunna doubt but brogue bring you the real facts from the real man

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 28 Nov 2023 12:37

Brogue
Brogue
Norfolk Royal

:oops: Exclusively told exclusivity for the preferred bidder will be announced next week :?

Just going to put one of these here… 8) doubters gunna doubt but brogue bring you the real facts from the real man

Careful Brogue, next you'll be suggesting we need to bring in Gary Alexander and watch him flyyyyyy

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Nov 2023 13:49

...whilst having a Cuban and a pizza.

Brogue, the Totally Well Advised Tipster.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 28 Nov 2023 14:04

Brogue
Brogue
Norfolk Royal

Tbf, other than the post that started this thread you have been spot on about everything else.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 28 Nov 2023 14:27

Brogue
Brogue
Norfolk Royal

Would that be the same Brogue that had to change the title of this thread because they jumped the gun too early?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 28 Nov 2023 14:30

windermereROYAL
Brogue
Brogue

Would that be the same Brogue that had to change the title of this thread because they jumped the gun too early?

Pipe down before Brogue embarrasses you.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 28 Nov 2023 14:34

NathStPaul
windermereROYAL
Brogue

Stalker.
Why do you quote me within a minute of me posting anything on here, do you have a life?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 28 Nov 2023 14:49

windermereROYAL
NathStPaul
windermereROYAL

Stalker.
Why do you quote me within a minute of me posting anything on here, do you have a life?

This is an interactive experience chum. You post something, somebody responds. It is the nature of a message board.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 28 Nov 2023 14:52

NathStPaul
windermereROYAL
NathStPaul Pipe down before Brogue embarrasses you.

Stalker.

This is an interactive experience chum. You post something, somebody responds. It is the nature of a message board.

Improvement, 15 minutes this time...pal

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 28 Nov 2023 16:12

They had 2 bids rejected before this one. I wonder who moved more for the valuation to meet. I suspect Dai started to smell the coffee.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 28 Nov 2023 16:18

WestYorksRoyal They had 2 bids rejected before this one. I wonder who moved more for the valuation to meet. I suspect Dai started to smell the coffee.

That's just how negotiations work isn't it. TBF he'd be mad to take the first offer.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 28 Nov 2023 16:18

I’d like to see Dai’s face when he realises that Genevra want to pay with 1000s of books of green sheild stamps.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 28 Nov 2023 16:27

If we excuse Al Hammad for Wigan's cashflow issues, given he wasn't providing the funds, what is his record on footballing decisions? Didn't he make the disastrous Kolo Toure appointment?

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 28 Nov 2023 16:50

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 Nov 2023 17:15

blythspartan This is worth a listen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3h3wSQ1UFc

Can you summarize for us pls.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 Nov 2023 17:24

Sutekh The Genevra philosophy, according to their website, is

https://genevra.net/philosophy

Football as we knew it is dying. A hedge fund looking to protect it's investors money. No mention of fans, community etc. Bah humbug!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Nov 2023 17:29

Pepe the Horseman
blythspartan This is worth a listen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3h3wSQ1UFc

Can you summarize for us pls.

Decent parody of "do they know it's christmas" about the selling of a certain football league club based in RG2.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 28 Nov 2023 17:30

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 28 Nov 2023 17:35

Lower West
Sutekh The Genevra philosophy, according to their website, is

https://genevra.net/philosophy

Football as we knew it is dying. A hedge fund looking to protect it's investors money. No mention of fans, community etc. Bah humbug!

Was there ever a time when it was better? Clubs went bust before the PL too - Maidstone and Aldershot for example. Plus, I associate pre 90s football in this country with racism and hooliganism.

I've become very disillusioned with ownership and financial issues in our game, but nostalgia is a great deceiver. There was never a golden era of "football as we know it".

3809 posts