Relegation permutations

TiagoIlori

Re: Relegation permutations

by TiagoIlori » 30 Apr 2023 15:43

Sutekh
TiagoIlori Now effectively means:

Reading now must win at Huddersfield to have any chance.

Huddersfield- one point is enough for survival, but they are still relegated if they lose both their remaining games.

Rotherham- one win will be enough for survival. One point would all but guarantee survival, barring an 8 goal swing. If they lose both then assuming a Reading win, they are relegated.

Huddersfield’s goal difference is now 2 better than Reading so Reading would need to win by 2 clear goals. However as they still have to play Sheffield then they’ll either be safe or be back to having a 1 better GD meaning Reading just need to win. The ONLY other resolution is if Rotherham get thrashed by Middlesbrough and then lost at Wigan in which case Reading still have to win. Still 0 wins away since November and a current away run of 1 draw and 8 defeats in 9 played gives a real challenge.

No they wouldn’t, if they lose to us it simultaneously erases the goal difference.

If they lose to Sheffield United it’s on -19

If we beat Huddersfield it’s -19 for us and goes down to -20 to them

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 02 May 2023 13:48

The next 7 days have an air of inevitability about them. First Sheffield will beat Huddersfield and Reading will go to Huddersfield next Monday with renewed hope just needing a win. But the payers won't create much and it will be the play off all over again as the two teams grind out a 0-0 bore draw.

Rapturous scenes in the home end, whilst Reading fans traipse back down the motorway dejected.

On the bright side, at least there won't be any penalties this time!

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 02 May 2023 16:53

andrew1957 The next 7 days have an air of inevitability about them. First Sheffield will beat Huddersfield and Reading will go to Huddersfield next Monday with renewed hope just needing a win. But the payers won't create much and it will be the play off all over again as the two teams grind out a 0-0 bore draw.

Rapturous scenes in the home end, whilst Reading fans traipse back down the motorway dejected.

On the bright side, at least there won't be any penalties this time!

This is where Joao misses a stoppage time penalty for us to nick a 1-0 win and stay up

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 02 May 2023 17:06

TiagoIlori
Sutekh
TiagoIlori Now effectively means:

Reading now must win at Huddersfield to have any chance.

Huddersfield- one point is enough for survival, but they are still relegated if they lose both their remaining games.

Rotherham- one win will be enough for survival. One point would all but guarantee survival, barring an 8 goal swing. If they lose both then assuming a Reading win, they are relegated.

Huddersfield’s goal difference is now 2 better than Reading so Reading would need to win by 2 clear goals. However as they still have to play Sheffield then they’ll either be safe or be back to having a 1 better GD meaning Reading just need to win. The ONLY other resolution is if Rotherham get thrashed by Middlesbrough and then lost at Wigan in which case Reading still have to win. Still 0 wins away since November and a current away run of 1 draw and 8 defeats in 9 played gives a real challenge.

No they wouldn’t, if they lose to us it simultaneously erases the goal difference.

I don't want to get insulting but I find it remarkable that so many people have been getting this wrong, seen so many people saying if Sheffield United lose both games by a goal it goes down to goals scored and I'm like...dude, simple maths here.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 02 May 2023 17:17

Sheff United must be expecting quite the points deduction if they're relying on goals scored.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 02 May 2023 17:45

tidus_mi2
TiagoIlori
Sutekh

I don't want to get insulting but I find it remarkable that so many people have been getting this wrong, seen so many people saying if Sheffield United lose both games by a goal it goes down to goals scored and I'm like...dude, simple maths here.

If Huddersfield draw at least 3-3 with Sheff U and then we sneak a narrow defeat, QPR are down, I reckon.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 02 May 2023 18:01

LUX
tidus_mi2
TiagoIlori No they wouldn’t, if they lose to us it simultaneously erases the goal difference.

If Huddersfield draw at least 3-3 with Sheff U and then we sneak a narrow defeat, QPR are down, I reckon.

What :lol:

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 02 May 2023 19:32

Wonder about the season ticket sales. Personally I might wait to see who is appointed as manager first then take a long hard think. Yes I know "what sort of loyal fan are you", but I just don't think I can take much more of this shit every season.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 02 May 2023 22:51

I think if we beat Huddersfield 8 nil and it rains in West London for 3 weeks then Chelsea get relegated instead.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 May 2023 08:15

Ascotexgunner Wonder about the season ticket sales. Personally I might wait to see who is appointed as manager first then take a long hard think. Yes I know "what sort of loyal fan are you", but I just don't think I can take much more of this shit every season.

I was going to insta buy on relegation, but with rumours we want to sign Hendrick, I'll hold off to see if we appear to still be being run by idiots. It's not like STs will run out, so could get one a week before KO.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 03 May 2023 08:45

Well 48 hours from now we will be waking up to the realisation we are now a league 1 club or possible short lived optimism, either way we are going to know. it will be a relief if the truth be told

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 03 May 2023 15:31

windermereROYAL Well 48 hours from now we will be waking up to the realisation we are now a league 1 club or possible short lived optimism, either way we are going to know. it will be a relief if the truth be told

There's way more chance of Sheffield winning than us at Hudds, that's the only thing though that could happen..

If Hunt out foxed Colin on the last day, adding to that a first win since Feb, and a first away win since before the world cup it would be a near miracle.

Plus Reading have not achieved a last day escape (in relegation zone at time of last game) in the 50 years I've been a fan...

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 03 May 2023 17:13

Mid Sussex Royal
windermereROYAL Well 48 hours from now we will be waking up to the realisation we are now a league 1 club or possible short lived optimism, either way we are going to know. it will be a relief if the truth be told

There's way more chance of Sheffield winning than us at Hudds, that's the only thing though that could happen..

If Hunt out foxed Colin on the last day, adding to that a first win since Feb, and a first away win since before the world cup it would be a near miracle.

Plus Reading have not achieved a last day escape (in relegation zone at time of last game) in the 50 years I've been a fan...

In 88/89 we were in the relegation zone at half time on the final day, and 0-2 down.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 May 2023 17:18

I think we have no hope of staying up and the club needs a reset down a division for its long term prospects.

So ideal outcome for me is Hudds draw and then Hunty gets a morale boosting, but irrelevant, last day away win.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 03 May 2023 19:04

tmesis
Mid Sussex Royal

In 88/89 we were in the relegation zone at half time on the final day, and 0-2 down.

Thanks - you're right, forgot that one....

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 03 May 2023 19:33

Snowflake Royal
Ascotexgunner Wonder about the season ticket sales. Personally I might wait to see who is appointed as manager first then take a long hard think. Yes I know "what sort of loyal fan are you", but I just don't think I can take much more of this shit every season.

I was going to insta buy on relegation, but with rumours we want to sign Hendrick, I'll hold off to see if we appear to still be being run by idiots. It's not like STs will run out, so could get one a week before KO.

Seriously? Are we that f*cking stupid to blow money on him. Talksport claimed we were paying his 30k a week salary. If that's true, I'm disgusted and I hope whoever advised on him signing is removed from the club (if they are still there)

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 03 May 2023 19:59

Ascotexgunner
Snowflake Royal

Seriously? Are we that f*cking stupid to blow money on him. Talksport claimed we were paying his 30k a week salary. If that's true, I'm disgusted and I hope whoever advised on him signing is removed from the club (if they are still there)

Talksport talk shite, under the EFL agreement we could only pay Max 8.5K per week as is well documented.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 03 May 2023 21:37

Ascotexgunner
Snowflake Royal

You know what restrictions we're under and genuinely believe we're remotely able to pay a player 30k/week?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 May 2023 08:55

People love doing mental gymnastics with this club.

Anything said about the club that looks wrong but sounds negative must always be negative, club can do no right sometimes.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 May 2023 09:41

Hendo People love doing mental gymnastics with this club.

Anything said about the club that looks wrong but sounds negative must always be negative, club can do no right sometimes.

It's not surprising when people are finally cottoning on to how badly run the club has been for a decade