Back from the match / Pub / Lounge (Villa)

134 posts
Binfield Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Back from the match / Pub / Lounge (Villa)

by Binfield Royal » 27 Nov 2012 21:55

Not good enough. We will go down if nothing changes, Villa were poor and we made them look good.

We are one dimensional - pump the ball forward and hope Roberts can hold the ball up. We give the ball away far too often and too cheaply. Leighterwood and McAnuff were the worst culprits for this.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Back from the match / Pub / Lounge (Villa)

by winchester_royal » 27 Nov 2012 21:57

The one difference between the 2 teams tonight was an excellent Benteke.

Both will be right at the bottom come May.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 27 Nov 2012 21:58

winchester_royal The one difference between the 2 teams tonight was an excellent Benteke.

Both will be right at the bottom come May.

At this rate I know who'll be rock bottom ......

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 27 Nov 2012 22:01

I accept we're not quite good enough but with the exception of two matches we've been competitive. We could have won this match if we'd taken our 3 or 4 very good chances. You couldn't tell who the away side was.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 27 Nov 2012 22:02

Man Friday I accept we're not quite good enough but with the exception of two matches we've been competitive. We could have won this match if we'd taken our 3 or 4 very good chances. You couldn't tell who the Premier League sides were.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 27 Nov 2012 22:07

Although I will not be asking for Brian’s head as I want him to have another crack at the Championship, I think we all have to accept that we are doomed this season. I think this was a must win game for our survival at this level and we did not.

It was a big ask for the limited and over achieving squad that we had at the end of last season to survive the rigours of the PL and we simply spent nowhere near enough.

Tonight AV were by far the worst team we have faced this season and yet we still lost.

Fed 6 – one good save but some of his distribution was woeful tonight.
Cummings - 7 – looks much better in defence but offers less coming forwards
Morrison – 6 – slightly at fault for the goal but otherwise good again
Mariappa – 7 – did ok as far as I could see.
Shorey – 8 – MOTM faultless as far as I can recall in defence
McAnuff – 5 – offered little threat tonight
Tabb – 6 – seemed tired to me but still put in a shift
Legs – 5 – gave the ball away a lot
HRK – 6 – the best of a poor midfield
Roberts 7 – held the ball up well as usual
ALF – 5 – some poor finishing – should have scored

Cannot see any point buying any players in January – better to accept our fate and build for next season’s promotion push.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 27 Nov 2012 22:08

Man Friday I accept we're not quite good enough but with the exception of two matches we've been competitive. We could have won this match if we'd taken our 3 or 4 very good chances. You couldn't tell who the away side was.

Could have.... How many friggin times!!!!!!

We lost, like all the other bloody times. We are shit. End of!

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 27 Nov 2012 22:09

If we are going to concentrate on crosses in the box we really need wingers that can accurately cross.....

Legs was terrible , we need a defensive cm in Jan

Morrison is a decent player but he's learning his trade in the premier league where small individual mistakes are costing us points (diving header at qpr, out jumped tonight)

questions

why did it take so long to get McCleary on when both wingers became infective?

Hunt for Roberts?

no Pog again?

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 27 Nov 2012 22:11

Fed 6
Cummings 6
Morrison 6
Mariappa 6
Shorey 7
McAnuff 4
Tabb 5
Leigertwood 4
Robson - Kanu 4
Roberts 5
Le Fondre 5

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 27 Nov 2012 22:12

savage 4 england Fed 6
Cummings 6
Morrison 6
Mariappa 6
Shorey 7
McAnuff 4
Tabb 5
Leigertwood 4
Robson - Kanu 4
Roberts 5
Le Fondre 5

Bit harsh on Roberts, he was worth a 7

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 27 Nov 2012 22:14

So how many must win games is that we played now against or relegation rivas and did not win?

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 27 Nov 2012 22:22

weybridgewanderer So how many must win games is that we played now against or relegation rivas and did not win?

all of them

W&E Royal

by W&E Royal » 27 Nov 2012 22:23

juanpablo If we are going to concentrate on crosses in the box we really need wingers that can accurately cross.....

Legs was terrible , we need a defensive cm in Jan

Morrison is a decent player but he's learning his trade in the premier league where small individual mistakes are costing us points (diving header at qpr, out jumped tonight)

questions

why did it take so long to get McCleary on when both wingers became infective?

Hunt for Roberts?

no Pog again?

This. And why was GMc playing on the left?? He's a right winger, Jobi should have moved to the left where he is more effective.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 27 Nov 2012 22:29

The game was summed up right after the second half began. Villa was loose with the ball, gave us possession in our half and Tabb (I think) tried a cross pitch pass which went right out of play.

We never looked a threat to score but tbf neither did Villa until Benteke was allowed to climb on Morrison's back to head one home. That was just a poor game by both teams. I hear Sunderland-QPR was even worse but at least they shared the points.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 27 Nov 2012 22:30

Binfield Royal Not good enough. We will go down if nothing changes, Villa were poor and we made them look good.

We are one dimensional - pump the ball forward and hope Roberts can hold the ball up. We give the ball away far too often and too cheaply. Leighterwood and McAnuff were the worst culprits for this.

Agree with this, our style of play is so dated and boring, and its never going to work at this level. It wasnt only the usual culprits (Ledge and Jobi) (who simply havent made the step up) but also Tabb gave the ball away several times, and I remember one particularly wayward pass from him at the start of the second half when there was great chance to break. I was glad Mariappa and Cummings were brought back in and they did ok, they were certainly better than Gorkss and Gunter. Cummings was giving McAnuff much better support down the right, and Mariappa looked more solid and his pace helps, but he still needs time.

Roberts looked our biggest threat but sometimes I think he is more intrested in himself than the team. I remember he (stupidly) chose to go for goal at least twice when Le Fondre was in a much better position in the centre. ALF should have scored with that header from a corner, but often I think he isnt even expecting the ball to actually come to him, whether thats from a cross or a simple pass, and thats because too often, it doesnt. Our players often seem to ignore him despite the fact he is often in a good position, looks to link up the play and play passes on the ground, also rarely gives the ball away. I think he will soon start putting away the few chances he gets.

As for the manager, I wonder if he has taken us as far as he can. If we give him more time to adapt to things, I fear it will be too late. He has done a brilliant job and is a great guy, but if we are going to make a change it needs to happen within the next month at most, so the new manager can have the January transfer window.

yappy

by yappy » 27 Nov 2012 22:35

I don't necessarily think our back 4 and front 2 were particularly bad today, but it's so hard to judge them when our midfield is non-existent. Time after time they gave the ball away just allowing more and more pressure, it was inevitable they were going to score. The worst part is, I think Villa looked the worst team we've played all season, yet we still looked heavily second best.

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 27 Nov 2012 22:45

Back 4 were much better than at Wigan. That is the only positive thing to take. They were dire. We were worse. Our midfield has to be one of the worst in Premier League history. Both centre mids were absolutely pointless. Our front 2 were ineffective to say the least. We are simply not good enough for this league, we need to rebuild the squad from the ground up. Oh and Brian is tactically inept but can't see anyone else doing any better with this team.

jellytot

by jellytot » 27 Nov 2012 22:52

We are so poor. lol I have so much to say but I cannot begin to start. I have posted a bit anyway. Maybe I need counselling.

Embarrassing. Let's just skip the season and go straight to the Championship. At least we can hide there.

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 27 Nov 2012 22:55

The defense looked much better tonight and Feds had hardly anything to do.

The midfield and forwards let us down.

It seems to be one week the defense is shite, then the next game going forward we under perform.

We need some creativity and a proven goalscorer and that means we need Guthrie and Pog back in the team. Give them another chance and get kebe and mccleary in too.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 27 Nov 2012 23:03

IMO we looked good for pretty much the whole game, it felt like we had most of the possession in the Villa half but we couldn't create any good chances whatsoever. Compare that to Villa who had at least 3 golden opportunities in the first half, the goal, and a few good chances in the second half. The only meaningful shot we had came (surprise) from a corner, which ALF should have got on target.

Leigertwood was dire, lost the ball far too many times and any time he tries to make a pass I wince. Roberts may win free-kicks and try to take a man on but his final touch is atrocious. McAnuff had a decent game and was really unfairly treated by the officials. Defence looked solid aside from the times we got utterly carved open twice in the first half.

Just feel a bit empty after that. A draw was well within our grasp if we had the final ball quality, or the killer finisher. We lack a cutting edge, and players who are difference-makers at this level. We're battlers, yes, but quality will always show in this league.

134 posts