The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

7714 posts
Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

by Clyde1998 » 04 May 2024 22:28

Found this on the Arsenal website: https://www.arsenal.com/news/how-premie ... -will-work

Appears the draw is pre-determined for the next rounds.

We'll be playing at home against the winner of Fulham and Nottingham Forest in the quarter-final - I'd guess this would also be played at the Madejski Stadium also.

The winners of that would play at home against the winners of Sunderland/Wolves vs West Ham in the semi-final. It appears we'd be away if we got to the final.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 May 2024 06:40

Clyde1998 Found this on the Arsenal website: https://www.arsenal.com/news/how-premie ... -will-work

We'll be playing at home against the winner of Fulham and Nottingham Forest in the quarter-final - I'd guess this would also be played at the Madejski Stadium also.

The winners of that would play at home against the winners of Sunderland/Wolves vs West Ham in the semi-final. It appears we'd be away if we got to the final.

Get into supporting the u21s in this exercise, wish the club would provide live streams for the games.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 05 May 2024 06:58

Sutekh
Clyde1998 Found this on the Arsenal website: https://www.arsenal.com/news/how-premie ... -will-work

Get into supporting the u21s in this exercise, wish the club would provide live streams for the games.

PL rules don’t allow live streaming if a PL match is being played at the same time.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 05 May 2024 07:00

I posted that info last Tuesday with the draw and dates through to the final.

The Cube

by The Cube » 05 May 2024 07:59

The system for the knock-out includes the sentence "These will be one-off elimination matches with the higher-seeded team at home." So we only get a quarter-final home game if Nottingham Forest beat Fulham on Monday evening.

Unfortunately, this aspect of the draw got missed by a lot of people, including me first time round.

The Cube

by The Cube » 05 May 2024 08:04

And another thing, which will no doubt crop up sooner or later. The top 16 U21 sides qualify for the EFL Trophy. However, there is a rule that says U21 sides of clubs in Leagues 1 or 2 are excluded.

So we don't get to enter twice, and presumably 17th-placed Southampton get a place instead.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 May 2024 11:05

The Cube And another thing, which will no doubt crop up sooner or later. The top 16 U21 sides qualify for the EFL Trophy. However, there is a rule that says U21 sides of clubs in Leagues 1 or 2 are excluded.

So we don't get to enter twice, and presumably 17th-placed Southampton get a place instead.

Boo! Should allow it, just for the :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 May 2024 11:33

It's basically who we play anyway.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 May 2024 11:34

Sutekh
The Cube And another thing, which will no doubt crop up sooner or later. The top 16 U21 sides qualify for the EFL Trophy. However, there is a rule that says U21 sides of clubs in Leagues 1 or 2 are excluded.

Tbf, our U21s put 9 past Exeter last season.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 05 May 2024 12:26

Royals and Racers

Sorry. I saw the fixtures, but I missed the point about path to the final.

The Cube The system for the knock-out includes the sentence "These will be one-off elimination matches with the higher-seeded team at home." So we only get a quarter-final home game if Nottingham Forest beat Fulham on Monday evening.

Unfortunately, this aspect of the draw got missed by a lot of people, including me first time round.

I read that to mean for the Round of 16, but not for latter rounds. I'd still be interested if we had to travel to Fulham - as long as it's not played nowhere near Fulham's ground (like Tottenham usually playing at Stevenage) and at a reasonable time.

I believe Arsenal are hosting Chelsea in the next round, but Chelsea finished higher up the league. Not sure if that's officially confirmed though.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 05 May 2024 12:32

Clyde1998
Royals and Racers

Sorry. I saw the fixtures, but I missed the point about path to the final.

The Cube The system for the knock-out includes the sentence "These will be one-off elimination matches with the higher-seeded team at home." So we only get a quarter-final home game if Nottingham Forest beat Fulham on Monday evening.

I read that to mean for the Round of 16, but not for latter rounds. I'd still be interested if we had to travel to Fulham - as long as it's not played nowhere near Fulham's ground (like Tottenham usually playing at Stevenage) and at a reasonable time.

I believe Arsenal are hosting Chelsea in the next round, but Chelsea finished higher up the league. Not sure if that's officially confirmed though.

The Arsenal match report states that they are playing Chelsea in the next round at Meadow Park ( Boreham Wood FC). So maybe we are at home in the QF’s.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 May 2024 13:36

From Despair To Where?
Sutekh

To be really fair, Exeter's U21s

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 May 2024 14:30

I was sat within earshot of Mr. Carson yesterday.

Apparently Selles’ plan for the left back spot is to make a senior signing, then have Mola covering both full back positions and Dorsett covering both left back and centre back. Seems sensible to me.

Mr. Carson thought if Matty could be a bit less rash then he’d be first team material. Personally I still don’t think he offers enough defensively but his delivery is top-notch, would definitely offer more than Dorsett going forward.

Sutekh
Royals and Racers 2-0 74 mins Akande

What's the opinion on Akande, he seems to be one player that never gets anywhere near the first team yet the club could do with options in that area.

First half I thought he was industrious but lacked a cutting edge.

Second half obviously that changed! Took both goals very well, they were difficult chances.

Not sure how confident I’d feel about him stepping up, would probably prefer Jahmari.

Wellens probably the player who looked closest - think he’s a better option in the middle than Rushesha.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 05 May 2024 15:13

Liverpool the 5th team through after beating Crystal Palace 3-2 today.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 May 2024 15:17

Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where?
Sutekh

To be absolutely, completely fair, it was Exeter's U19s

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 05 May 2024 15:46

From Despair To Where?
Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where?

To be absolutely, completely fair, it was Exeter's U19s

To be ultra, mega fair, it wasn't our U21s - more our second strongest XI at the time.

The team we started with was: Boyce-Clarke; Mbengue, Dean, McIntyre, Carson; Elliott, Rushesha, Craig, Mukairu; Wareham, Vickers.

Only CBC; Carson; Rushesha and Wareham could really be described as players from our U21 squad. Craig and Vickers were firmly first team players this season (whilst Vickers was here) even if they were (are?) younger than 21.

Additionally, Knibbs; Ballard; Dorsett; Abrefa and Harris came off the bench. Knibbs, Ballard and Dorsett were first team players this season despite the latter two being eligible for the U21s.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 May 2024 20:17

SCIAG I was sat within earshot of Mr. Carson yesterday.

Apparently Selles’ plan for the left back spot is to make a senior signing, then have Mola covering both full back positions and Dorsett covering both left back and centre back. Seems sensible to me.

Mr. Carson thought if Matty could be a bit less rash then he’d be first team material. Personally I still don’t think he offers enough defensively but his delivery is top-notch, would definitely offer more than Dorsett going forward.

Sutekh
Royals and Racers 2-0 74 mins Akande

What's the opinion on Akande, he seems to be one player that never gets anywhere near the first team yet the club could do with options in that area.

Second half obviously that changed! Took both goals very well, they were difficult chances.

Not sure how confident I’d feel about him stepping up, would probably prefer Jahmari.

Wellens probably the player who looked closest - think he’s a better option in the middle than Rushesha.

I think we have to accept Jahmari isn’t going to make it here at this point and cut losses.

He never looked convincing in his first team appearances and that brace does flatter his actual performances. Since then he's basically made no apparent progress and been overtaken by Ehibhatiomhan, Vickers and Wareham.

On Carson, I really want him to succeed, but as you say, he's weak defensively and despite being fairly stocky he just got bullied on the pitch and looked scared in front of an away crowd. Given he got not time at the end of the season it seems very unlikely he's in first team plans.

However, if we went with a back 3, then he could actually have some promise as a solution on the left flank, providing we didn’t just leave our wing backs one on two all the time. Not something I see us doing with Azeez at the club, but not the worst option if he goes.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 05 May 2024 21:47

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG I was sat within earshot of Mr. Carson yesterday.

Sutekh

I think we have to accept Jahmari isn’t going to make it here at this point and cut losses.

He never looked convincing in his first team appearances and that brace does flatter his actual performances. Since then he's basically made no apparent progress and been overtaken by Ehibhatiomhan, Vickers and Wareham.

On Carson, I really want him to succeed, but as you say, he's weak defensively and despite being fairly stocky he just got bullied on the pitch and looked scared in front of an away crowd. Given he got not time at the end of the season it seems very unlikely he's in first team plans.

However, if we went with a back 3, then he could actually have some promise as a solution on the left flank, providing we didn’t just leave our wing backs one on two all the time. Not something I see us doing with Azeez at the club, but not the worst option if he goes.

I think we do have to accept that with Jahmari. His injuries certainly wouldn't have helped his development, but I can't imagine we'll offer him a new contract. I think he needs a run with a lower league team to have any chance of developing into a League One-level player, let alone a player of a higher standard. If he's under contract for next season, he has to go out on loan and play regularly; otherwise I can't see him getting a new contract here. I'm not sure he played regularly when he was at Boreham Wood (National League) or Yeovil (National League South) and that suggests he's not going to play for the first team again.

I reckon Carson could do a job as a left midfielder: looking decent enough going forward but not convinced about his defensive ability or physicality. Once we got to October time, sides were targetting him as the weakness in our defence and getting results from that strategy. I think we could offer him another year, but would need to send him out on loan to a League Two club to assess whether he'll have any chance of becoming a regular first team player. He's already 21, so isn't going to improve from playing another season of U21 football (that's if he's even eligible next season). He needs first team football somewhere.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 May 2024 08:20

Agreed that Carson is worth working with and would tie him down to a two year deal and ship him out on loan next season, ideally to somewhere that will help him work on his defensive skills. You do have to remember that his total experience when signing for us was a few games in N.Ireland alongside a handful of NL games.

It is always possible that he becomes the reverse Murty. Signed as a full back put ends up moving further up the park.

As for Jahmari Clarke, yep that ship has sailed, the views you read of him on loan at NL and NLS level are hardly glowing, if he isn't standing out at that level now having had Champ experience, then the chances are L1 is going to be too high a level for him.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 06 May 2024 10:01

Not saying we should pick Jahmari. Am saying I think he's a better option than Akande and Tuma at this point in time and I don't really think either of them will be serious first-team options next season.

Honestly, don't think there's much between him and Ehib and suspect he'd do about as well if he got a run on the left. But we've got plenty of options for the three spots behind the striker, across Knibbs, Azeez, Elliott and Ehib, so it doesn't seem like somewhere ripe for a youngster to break through.

7714 posts