BFTG - Rotherham

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Rotherham

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Oct 2016 14:17

sandman Score when the substitution was made? 0-0.

So for all of Rotherham's "peppering" of our goal the bottom club had scored a grand total of zero goals.

90% of players in this league are going to be bigger and stronger than Liam Kelly. He's not going to get many minutes if he's substituted every time we get a tiny bit of pressure put on us in the air.

This part is completely true.

How many shots did we face before the sub and how many after is the important question.

Some games Santi Cazorla will need to be subbed of in favour of an Elneny or a Xhaka. That doesnt mean Cazorla is not going to get minutes for being short and weak. Stam (I believe until stats show me otherwise) made a correct call in bringing a defensive player further forward and the vilification of him is unnecessary.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Oct 2016 14:54

First away game of the season I've missed so understandable the atmosphere was shit.

Sorry lads.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 23 Oct 2016 18:04

sandman Score when the substitution was made? 0-0.

So for all of Rotherham's "peppering" of our goal the bottom club had scored a grand total of zero goals.

90% of players in this league are going to be bigger and stronger than Liam Kelly. He's not going to get many minutes if he's substituted every time we get a tiny bit of pressure put on us in the air.

Uldrink said pre-match that Rotherham played passing football and concede goals. I don't really expect that to be the case under Kenny Jackett so I imagine they weren't prepared for how Rotherham were going to play. It made the scouting they did rather irrelevant.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 23 Oct 2016 18:06

Get what you're saying but i severely doubt that Jackett had that much influence after the grand total of one training session.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 23 Oct 2016 19:31

sandman Get what you're saying but i severely doubt that Jackett had that much influence after the grand total of one training session.

Only it's a lot easier to get players to quickly switch to hitting the ball long than to persuade and teach them to pass the ball around effectively on the ground.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 23 Oct 2016 19:41

We were getting battered. Manager adapts to situation and comes away with the 3 points.

Cue the bellends on here. Only on HNA.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 23 Oct 2016 19:59

A day too late.....it's already been said.....but echo that sentiment

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 24 Oct 2016 09:58

Good display. Glad to see the team are making small improvements each week on the current tactical plan. Second half we were cutting through them with short incisive passing. Joey was exceptional at the base of the midfield.

Al Habsi- 9
Gunter- 6
Moore- 7
Mcshane- 7
Obita- 6
Joey- 9
Swift- 7
Williams- 6
McCleary- 7
Yann- 7
Beerens- 7

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 24 Oct 2016 10:00

sandman Yeah, credit to Stam for giving one of our academy products a grand total of 25 minutes.

It's 25 minutes more than most of them will get, outside the cup competitions, under his management.

Jaap made the wrong decision in starting him, & the correct decision in taking him off

Rotherham were a real threat with the long balls, and nearly scored once or twice, Kelly was offering nothing defensively and his limitations in jumping/heading were a real concern. Good tactical awareness to spot & rectify this.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 24 Oct 2016 10:03

sandman Get what you're saying but i severely doubt that Jackett had that much influence after the grand total of one training session.

Psychology & the mental state of players has a major affect on performances, and the arrival of the new manager would have given them a lift and a new level of determination to perform.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 24 Oct 2016 10:19

If Rotherham were indeed a passing side before we played them it suggests Kenny Jackett did come in and tell them to start playing the long ball, if it were me I would have made the assumption that Kenny Jackett had arrived too soon to make significant changes to their style of play, perhaps Stam and his team arrived to the same conclusion.

Either way they were adept enough to analyse the situation and make the required change and frankly if there are fans out there who were quick to criticise his lack of changes when we were tiring against Villa, surely they have to acknowledge when he makes an apt tactical change, especially 30 minutes in.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 24 Oct 2016 10:34

Reading the press reports from a Rotherham perspective it looks like he played a massive influence in getting them competing which makes our win even more impressive.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 24 Oct 2016 10:36

He could well have done, it doesn't take more than training session or team meeting for the manager to tell them "go long, win headers, send long throws into the box". Not exactly a complex tactical plan.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 24 Oct 2016 11:44

I don't understand how taking Kelly off was a good tactical switch, as if as soon as they took him off the game changed. it didn't.
Remember ROTHERHAM we are playing, bottom of the League? Goal Average poor? we should have beat them with 10 men
on the pitch, he should have kept him on and be more interested in winning the game going forward then defending. If it was not for Al Habsi it could have been a complete different story none of them attempts on Readings goal had anything to do with Kelly, just poor defending. Yann was the other player who if not for his defensive qualities it would have been even worse. we need to wake up to the fact that the pressure is building.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 24 Oct 2016 15:24

mambo3 I don't understand how taking Kelly off was a good tactical switch, as if as soon as they took him off the game changed. it didn't.
Remember ROTHERHAM we are playing, bottom of the League? Goal Average poor? we should have beat them with 10 men
on the pitch, he should have kept him on and be more interested in winning the game going forward then defending. If it was not for Al Habsi it could have been a complete different story none of them attempts on Readings goal had anything to do with Kelly, just poor defending. Yann was the other player who if not for his defensive qualities it would have been even worse. we need to wake up to the fact that the pressure is building.

What pressure? fair to say we are exceeding expectations currently :D

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 24 Oct 2016 16:09

mambo3 I don't understand how taking Kelly off was a good tactical switch, as if as soon as they took him off the game changed. it didn't.
:|

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 24 Oct 2016 18:47

I presume mambo is talking about the pressure within a game, rather than pressure on our league position.

Had another look and not sure whether I was dreaming it but couldn't see any mention by Ulderink of Rotherham playing a passing game :oops: He did suggest they were open though. Not quite sure why some are dismissing Rotherham either. New manager (and someone who I thought they should have got in the summer, Stubbs was an odd choice) and we hadn't won there in ages, thought we'd actually lose and know a couple of neutrals who thought the same.