17434 posts
tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rival Watch

by tidus_mi2 » 08 May 2024 22:22

My levels of cope will keep rising.

Hope Bolton smash them.
Hope they get smashed in the Championship

Hope that's as far as I have to raise my cope levels.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 May 2024 07:38

So PO Final is a battle of the otherwise bang average one man team, vs the electric attack with a hapless defence.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 09 May 2024 09:02

Snowflake Royal So PO Final is a battle of the otherwise bang average one man team, vs the electric attack with a hapless defence.

Should be lots of goals in the final then.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 May 2024 09:19

Bolton definitely a better team than Oxford and won their last meeting 5-0. But it's only 1 game and an upset can easily happen. Obviously I hope not - seems alien enough to finish below them in the table let alone be in a lower division.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 May 2024 09:49

WestYorksRoyal Bolton definitely a better team than Oxford and won their last meeting 5-0. But it's only 1 game and an upset can easily happen. Obviously I hope not - seems alien enough to finish below them in the table let alone be in a lower division.

It's win:win.

They lose on TV on their big night out.

Or

They go up and get humiliated most weeks for a year.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 09 May 2024 13:04

Other thing aside from wanting Oxford to lose for the sake of it, is that Bolton are a very good team who I don't want in this division next season. Whereas if Oxford stay down, I back us to close the gap on them, especially if Brannagan leaves.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 09 May 2024 15:10

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal Bolton definitely a better team than Oxford and won their last meeting 5-0. But it's only 1 game and an upset can easily happen. Obviously I hope not - seems alien enough to finish below them in the table let alone be in a lower division.

Or

Agree, think the Championship is shaping up to be one of the strongest next season for a while and it doesn't look like there will be 3 sides with insanely higher budgets than the rest of the division unlike this season with Leeds, Leicester and Southampton.

East Grinstead Royal

by East Grinstead Royal » 09 May 2024 15:16

The three relegated sides nearly always have insanely higher budgets than the rest of the Championship. That’s what the parachute payments do.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 09 May 2024 15:19

East Grinstead Royal The three relegated sides nearly always have insanely higher budgets than the rest of the Championship. That’s what the parachute payments do.

I understand the 3 coming down will have parachute payments, but Leicester, Leeds and Southampton felt like a new extreme when it came to financial disparity.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 09 May 2024 16:41

tidus_mi2
East Grinstead Royal The three relegated sides nearly always have insanely higher budgets than the rest of the Championship. That’s what the parachute payments do.

I understand the 3 coming down will have parachute payments, but Leicester, Leeds and Southampton felt like a new extreme when it came to financial disparity.

Yeah, if the 3 that come down are Luton, Burnley and Sheffield Untied, whilst they will have PP but can't see them having the same impact as the 3 that came down last year.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 09 May 2024 22:17

Hendo
tidus_mi2

Yeah, if the 3 that come down are Luton, Burnley and Sheffield Untied, whilst they will have PP but can't see them having the same impact as the 3 that came down last year.

This. Leicester, Leeds and Southampton would probably have the highest budgets in the Championship if no side had parachute payments - giving them PP completely destroys any chance of sides competing with them financially. Luton would have a bottom end budget; Burnley would probably be slightly below average; Sheffield United would be somewhat above average.

On the flip side, Portsmouth, Derby and Bolton (if they went up) would probably have fairly average Championship budgets (Derby maybe above average). Oxford would have a Rotherham type budget in the Championship; they'd have to massively improve their squad in order to challenge.

All of this is in terms of sides spending a similar share of their revenues.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 10 May 2024 09:00

Clyde1998 This. Leicester, Leeds and Southampton would probably have the highest budgets in the Championship if no side had parachute payments - giving them PP completely destroys any chance of sides competing with them financially.

And yet someone did compete with them

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 May 2024 09:44

Silver Fox
Clyde1998 This. Leicester, Leeds and Southampton would probably have the highest budgets in the Championship if no side had parachute payments - giving them PP completely destroys any chance of sides competing with them financially.

Annoying thing is that well run and managed clubs can cause a surprise but it is always a "surprise" and no one's ever interested in following that model (they just sort of fall over it by accident) look at the Hull idiots, seem to have started that route only to sack Liam rather than see it through.

Therefore it doesn't happen sufficiently in any one season to make a real contest of things. The other 5 teams in promotion and PO positions are hardly a surprise to anyone and would likely all be in the top 10 biggest championship budgets for this season.

Hoping the screw starts turning on Leeds and WBA next.
Last edited by Sutekh on 10 May 2024 09:47, edited 1 time in total.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 10 May 2024 09:47

Ipswich?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 10 May 2024 10:16

Sutekh
Silver Fox

Annoying thing is that well run and managed clubs can cause a surprise but it is always a "surprise" and no one's ever interested in following that model (they just sort of fall over it by accident) look at the Hull idiots, seem to have started that route only to sack Liam rather than see it through.

Therefore it doesn't happen sufficiently in any one season to make a real contest of things. The other 5 teams in promotion and PO positions are hardly a surprise to anyone and would likely all be in the top 10 biggest championship budgets for this season.

We keep getting one non-PP promotion a season which allows the Premier League to argue it is possible. But Ipswich and Luton were practically miracles, while Forest breached FFP and have since been deducted points.

It's still enormously skewed and just because Kieran McKenna has done a ridiculously good job it doesn't take away from the fact they're structurally unfair.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 May 2024 12:11

WestYorksRoyal
Sutekh
Silver Fox

We keep getting one non-PP promotion a season which allows the Premier League to argue it is possible. But Ipswich and Luton were practically miracles, while Forest breached FFP and have since been deducted points.

It's still enormously skewed and just because Kieran McKenna has done a ridiculously good job it doesn't take away from the fact they're structurally unfair.

There shouldn't be any reward for failure. Numerous clubs have been promoted to the PL. and survived at least one season if not more. These rewards for failing and (usually) overspending should be dumped at the earliest opportunity. There should be relegation clauses enforced in ALL PL contracts specifying wages are reduced by x% and/or providing for various release clauses.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 May 2024 12:18

Sutekh
WestYorksRoyal
Sutekh

There shouldn't be any reward for failure. Numerous clubs have been promoted to the PL. and survived at least one season if not more. These rewards for failing and (usually) overspending should be dumped at the earliest opportunity. There should be relegation clauses enforced in ALL PL contracts specifying wages are reduced by x% and/or providing for various release clauses.

Every contract should contain details of how pay will change on promotion and relegation in every division.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 10 May 2024 13:53

Snowflake Royal

Or

I thought that Oxford now have pretty rich owners themselves - who can afford to build a new stadium for them!?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 10 May 2024 14:35

Royalwaster
Snowflake Royal

Or

I thought that Oxford now have pretty rich owners themselves - who can afford to build a new stadium for them!?

I think they do. Certainly they fought off Championship interest for Brannagan by giving him a new contract, which presumably makes him one of the highest paid players in L1.

But even with this, they would be a small Championship club where FFP can be a real restriction. Plus, people will expect them to struggle as comfortably the weakest of the promoted sides. Money can talk well if you sell a vision and a chance to develop (think Wrexham building a good L2 team in the NL). If you're simply offering good wages for their own sake but players aren't sold on your vision, all you get are a load of half arsed mercenaries, as we know too well. If they sneak out of this division, their best approach would be to sign young, good L1 players knowing that next season will be tough but a learning experience.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 May 2024 14:49

Royalwaster
Snowflake Royal

Or

Maybe, but they can't build it, replace almost their entire squad and double their average attendance in 3 months.

17434 posts