Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Rival Watch

by Stranded » 10 May 2024 15:33

Snowflake Royal
Royalwaster
Snowflake Royal It's win:win.

They lose on TV on their big night out.

Or

They go up and get humiliated most weeks for a year.

I thought that Oxford now have pretty rich owners themselves - who can afford to build a new stadium for them!?

Maybe, but they can't build it, replace almost their entire squad and double their average attendance in 3 months.

If they do scrape past Bolton, then their attendance will likely rise markedly - didn't realise they haven't been in the top 2 tiers this century.

Agreed on the others, stadium has to be ready by 2026 else they will have nowhere to play given they get kicked out of the Kassam then. Even then the new plan is only for a 16k stadium, which means if they sell out every week based on this year, their average attendance would rank 23rd. Only Blackburn and Rotherham averaged less than 16k.

So to be able to pay the kind of wages needed to even compete, they are going to have to swallow a relatively big loss, which could see them hit FFP troubles.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 May 2024 16:03

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
Royalwaster
I thought that Oxford now have pretty rich owners themselves - who can afford to build a new stadium for them!?

Maybe, but they can't build it, replace almost their entire squad and double their average attendance in 3 months.

If they do scrape past Bolton, then their attendance will likely rise markedly - didn't realise they haven't been in the top 2 tiers this century.

Agreed on the others, stadium has to be ready by 2026 else they will have nowhere to play given they get kicked out of the Kassam then. Even then the new plan is only for a 16k stadium, which means if they sell out every week based on this year, their average attendance would rank 23rd. Only Blackburn and Rotherham averaged less than 16k.

So to be able to pay the kind of wages needed to even compete, they are going to have to swallow a relatively big loss, which could see them hit FFP troubles.

Can't see them adding more than 4k unless they have a very good season, when actually they're likely to have quite a bad season.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 10 May 2024 16:25

If we can grow enough to sell out the SCL in the good times, and even get 18k against Blackpool a few weeks ago, I don't see any inherent reason why Oxford can't do the same to be honest. A city with c. 200k living there without any big nearby clubs as competition.

The reason they'd struggle upon promotional is that they're not ready yet. The team's not ready, the infrastructure isn't ready. But I can see why they're worthwhile as a long term project, unlike Wycombe for example.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 May 2024 16:28

WestYorksRoyal If we can grow enough to sell out the SCL in the good times, and even get 18k against Blackpool a few weeks ago, I don't see any inherent reason why Oxford can't do the same to be honest. A city was c. 200k living there without any big nearby clubs as competition.

The reason they'd struggle upon promotional is that they're not ready yet. The team's not ready, the infrastructure isn't ready. But I can see why they're worthwhile as a long term project, unlike Wycombe for example.

They averaged about 8.5k in a L1 promotion race. In our last L1 promotion race 20 odd years ago we averaged about 14k.

They could get there. But not in one or two seasons.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 10 May 2024 16:35

I guess while Reading isn't much bigger than Oxford, we have surrounding towns like Newbury, Wokingham, Basingstoke, Maidenhead and Bracknell where people will support us as their nearest professional team. You must be looking at half a million or so overall. By contrast, where else are Oxford going to pull in fans from? Chipping Norton and Bicester?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 10 May 2024 16:35

Sadly we remember our play-off game at Wembley v Bolton.

Having beaten them shortly before that final we had some optimism ahead of the big day and the outcome might have been different if somebody had told Archie that their keeper wouldn't have studied his previous penalties. :wink:

Anyway, fast forward nearly 30 years and Oxford go there after being thrashed the other week by Bolton so will Bolton go there this time thinking that as they beat them so easily recently they only just have to turn up or will they learn from our experience or presumably the experiences of other clubs going to Wembley as strong favourites ? (e.g Leeds v Sunderland and Wimbledon v Liverpool).

I don't have the strong animosity towards Oxford United as so many on here do.
My wife comes from Oxford
We were married there
My son was born there
Some of the wife's family are dedicated fans.

Obviously I never want them to do too well and I was annoyed that they made it to the top level ages before we did so if they do get promoted all well and good and over they years we haven't done particularly well against them so if we don't play them next season that is possibly a bonus.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 10 May 2024 19:20

For that Play Off final versus Bolton, it always seemed to me that Bolton and Middlesborough were by far the 2 best sides in the division that season and that had there been 2 auto spots rather than just the 1, Bolton would have had it.

We were the 3rd best side in the Division that season (the way we destroyed Tranmere in the P/O semi 1st leg was a testament to the quality of the football we played, as was the 4-2 demolition of Wolves at Elm Park the first game after McGhee left for Leicester) but got stuffed by the re-organisation of the Premier League and only having 1 auto spot up for grabs; I think whoever else we could have faced in the Play Offs, we would have won and got promoted.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 10 May 2024 21:35

Mr Angry For that Play Off final versus Bolton, it always seemed to me that Bolton and Middlesborough were by far the 2 best sides in the division that season and that had there been 2 auto spots rather than just the 1, Bolton would have had it.

We were the 3rd best side in the Division that season (the way we destroyed Tranmere in the P/O semi 1st leg was a testament to the quality of the football we played, as was the 4-2 demolition of Wolves at Elm Park the first game after McGhee left for Leicester) but got stuffed by the re-organisation of the Premier League and only having 1 auto spot up for grabs; I think whoever else we could have faced in the Play Offs, we would have won and got promoted.

If the idiot in the bkack had issued the second yellow to McAteer …..

But I’m not bitter

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 10 May 2024 22:42

Silver Fox
Clyde1998 This. Leicester, Leeds and Southampton would probably have the highest budgets in the Championship if no side had parachute payments - giving them PP completely destroys any chance of sides competing with them financially.

And yet someone did compete with them

Not financially. Ipswich weren't competing in the same transfer/wage pool as Leicester, Leeds and Southampton.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 10 May 2024 22:54

WestYorksRoyal
Royalwaster
Snowflake Royal It's win:win.

They lose on TV on their big night out.

Or

They go up and get humiliated most weeks for a year.

I think they do. Certainly they fought off Championship interest for Brannagan by giving him a new contract, which presumably makes him one of the highest paid players in L1.

But even with this, they would be a small Championship club where FFP can be a real restriction. Plus, people will expect them to struggle as comfortably the weakest of the promoted sides. Money can talk well if you sell a vision and a chance to develop (think Wrexham building a good L2 team in the NL). If you're simply offering good wages for their own sake but players aren't sold on your vision, all you get are a load of half arsed mercenaries, as we know too well. If they sneak out of this division, their best approach would be to sign young, good L1 players knowing that next season will be tough but a learning experience.

The Football Manager database, FWIW, reckons he's on over double the wage of the next highest earning Oxford players - £12k p/w (the next highest earning player is on £5k p/w). £12k p/w is definitely a Championship level wage.

If their recruitment team has any sort of sense, they'd pursue the policy you're discussing if they got promoted. Improve their squad with younger players, who'll improve throughout the season, currently of League One standard to give them a good chance of bouncing straight back to the Championship if they got relegated. Would potentially give them sellable assets to recover some money should they need it.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 11 May 2024 11:36

South Coast Royal Sadly we remember our play-off game at Wembley v Bolton.

Having beaten them shortly before that final we had some optimism ahead of the big day and the outcome might have been different if somebody had told Archie that their keeper wouldn't have studied his previous penalties. :wink:

Anyway, fast forward nearly 30 years and Oxford go there after being thrashed the other week by Bolton so will Bolton go there this time thinking that as they beat them so easily recently they only just have to turn up or will they learn from our experience or presumably the experiences of other clubs going to Wembley as strong favourites ? (e.g Leeds v Sunderland and Wimbledon v Liverpool).

I don't have the strong animosity towards Oxford United as so many on here do.
My wife comes from Oxford
We were married there
My son was born there
Some of the wife's family are dedicated fans.

Obviously I never want them to do too well and I was annoyed that they made it to the top level ages before we did so if they do get promoted all well and good and over they years we haven't done particularly well against them so if we don't play them next season that is possibly a bonus.

Yeah previous games mean very little - Oxford thrashed P'boro 5:0 not that long ago at home and struggled to beat them 1:0 in the first game. Like you I've got some connections with Oxford and so do not share the animosity. I think the Championship is a struggle for any team as there is no way of surviving in it without making huge losses.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 May 2024 13:48

Also married in Oxford, so whilst I enjoyed playing them again, doesn't bother me in the slightest if they go up. Not sure why it would bother anyone really but football does strange things to people.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 13 May 2024 15:15

WestYorksRoyal I guess while Reading isn't much bigger than Oxford, we have surrounding towns like Newbury, Wokingham, Basingstoke, Maidenhead and Bracknell where people will support us as their nearest professional team. You must be looking at half a million or so overall. By contrast, where else are Oxford going to pull in fans from? Chipping Norton and Bicester?

I live in South Oxfordshire and there are more Reading fans around than Oxford ones.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 May 2024 17:56

Stranded Also married in Oxford, so whilst I enjoyed playing them again, doesn't bother me in the slightest if they go up. Not sure why it would bother anyone really but football does strange things to people.

It's just a pantomime.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 May 2024 18:58

Snowflake Royal
Stranded Also married in Oxford, so whilst I enjoyed playing them again, doesn't bother me in the slightest if they go up. Not sure why it would bother anyone really but football does strange things to people.

It's just a pantomime.

Partially. But I've only ever known us be the most successful and biggest club in the area, ahead of Oxford, Swindon and Wycombe (let alone Aldershot) and would like it to stay that way. There's a bit of pride at stake.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 13 May 2024 19:38

Mr Angry
WestYorksRoyal I guess while Reading isn't much bigger than Oxford, we have surrounding towns like Newbury, Wokingham, Basingstoke, Maidenhead and Bracknell where people will support us as their nearest professional team. You must be looking at half a million or so overall. By contrast, where else are Oxford going to pull in fans from? Chipping Norton and Bicester?

I live in South Oxfordshire and there are more Reading fans around than Oxford ones.

And once you start going further north up the M40 you're getting into Coventry territory.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 16 May 2024 12:47

Someone has just asked if Saturdays game is the BOL-OX final :D

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 16 May 2024 15:32

Franchise FC
Mr Angry For that Play Off final versus Bolton, it always seemed to me that Bolton and Middlesborough were by far the 2 best sides in the division that season and that had there been 2 auto spots rather than just the 1, Bolton would have had it.

If the idiot in the bkack had issued the second yellow to McAteer …..

But I’m not bitter

After we beat Bolton 2-1 at EP on that epic Friday night in April 95, we chatted to two Bolton fans on the way back to the car. We told them that they were the best team we had faced and wanted to avoid them in the play-offs; they said exactly the same thing back to us. As stated before, we just got screwed by the PL reorganisation - and players playing in the final not fully fit - but what a season that was.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 18 May 2024 16:36

Not a huge amount going on in the first twenty minutes of the play-off final…

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 18 May 2024 16:46

oxf*rd… :roll:

17442 posts