BFTG - Weds H

252 posts
PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG - Weds H

by PieEater » 01 Sep 2018 19:14

We're going down.

If ever there was a sign that despite playing ok we leak a goal then are clueless to get back into it.

You can blame luck but time after time teams get one chance and take it and then we are fooked. I can bitch about a poor preseason - going into the league without winning, but I don't think it would matter, We are a shambles of a team with no organisation or clue about playing.

I'm really not sure where we go from here and I hope the international break helps Clement shake some life into this squad.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Sep 2018 19:16

This is the most expensive squad assembled in our history by a garden mile yet the worst performing squad in two decades.
Once again more of the same laboured, slow tempo garbage. The triple substitution improved things a little bit with Kelly and Sims at least showing some urgency but even then we created very little.

We really are very poor. Baldock is a subtle player but he is absolutely not a goal scorer. Meite looked very poor and out of his depth. As for Aluko I have had enough of him. He has been the worst value transfer in our history.
Meyler was painfully slow.

Clement’s interview was sobering. He sounded totally beaten. I really want him to succeed but I think this is going to end unhappily for him. In reality the likes of Gourlay and Tevreden are more accountable than he is as are the players.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Sep 2018 19:25

A couple more points. In both half’s Wednesday had a player unmarked at the far post at a corner. Basic stuff.
Club 1871 were very quiet. I think the experiment was worthwhile but the atmosphere hasn’t picked up in recent games.

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 01 Sep 2018 19:26

Jagermesiter1871
Hound
Armadillo Roadkill Controversially, I don’t think there is much wrong with either the technical ability or the work rate of the players. I think they are just in the habit of losing, have become used to misplaced passes, and are always taking the easy option. This started under Stam, and a change of manager has not arrested it.

(You could argue is started really goes all the way back to McDermott’s time in charge in the PL – he had limited players at his disposal so the fault is not all his but the club has arguably never really got back to the feeling that we are a club on the up that he (McDermott) manage to continue after the blip that was Rodgers).

But rather than just lash out at the manager or the recruitment team, I wonder if we have a sports psychologist. If we do, sack them ‘cause they’re sh1t and get a good one. If we haven’t, get a good one in as soon as possible.

Turning a team from a losing to a winning mentality is crucial thing now – we have the players we have and I can’t see any value in changing the manager.

(I will also admit Meyler is just unbelievable poor and Aluko, whilst not as bad as some would suggest, is still a massive waste of money).

+1 on all of that. We compete in every game. Where most average teams would claim a couple of wins from our performances, we bottle it and win zero

It’s a mental thing. We’re not a great technical side but mentally we are absolutely bottom of the table

We've lost every game this year by 1 goal.

We're like a drunk bloke who's managed to pull and gets nervous so can't get it up

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 01 Sep 2018 19:38

Zip Clement’s interview was sobering. He sounded totally beaten. I really want him to succeed but I think this is going to end unhappily for him.

Little point in changing the manager. Hopefully the Chinese owners aspirations are long term. What we need is continuity. To rebuild the club. Personally I like Clement very open and speaks his mind. If his job is safe, come what may. Then the future will seem brighter.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 01 Sep 2018 19:45

Lower West
Zip Clement’s interview was sobering. He sounded totally beaten. I really want him to succeed but I think this is going to end unhappily for him.

Little point in changing the manager. Hopefully the Chinese owners aspirations are long term. What we need is continuity. To rebuild the club. Personally I like Clement very open and speaks his mind. If his job is safe, come what may. Then the future will seem brighter.

He tells it how it is but he must change our style of play. Every opposition team is more efficient than we are at moving the ball forward out of defence. It’s painful to watch us.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 01 Sep 2018 19:47

Lower West

Totally agree, changing the manager every season hasn`t helped in the slightest as it since relegation from the PL. in fact it`s got worse, we really need to keep faith, I`m confident he`s the right man for the job.

notloyalenuffroyal

by notloyalenuffroyal » 01 Sep 2018 19:47

My big complaint management wise was that Aluko and Meyler were so horrific in the first half that I could not believe one of them at least did not come off at half time.

The triple substitution was necessary and it really was nice to see a bit of fight for 20 minutes, but waiting until 60 minutes exactly was a bizarre decision. If they are crap, substitute them!

What on earth was Aluko doing in the first part of the 2nd half? When we were in possession he moved into the centre circle to receive the ball. Every time. For about 10 minutes. It was bizarre and left a huge hole down the right that Meite had to go and fill for Gunter to pass to. No problem with Meite making a run down the right, but I still don't know what Aluko was thinking. Or was this a Clement tactic? Very odd.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Sep 2018 19:50

notloyalenuffroyal My big complaint management wise was that Aluko and Meyler were so horrific in the first half that I could not believe one of them at least did not come off at half time.

The triple substitution was necessary and it really was nice to see a bit of fight for 20 minutes, but waiting until 60 minutes exactly was a bizarre decision. If they are crap, substitute them!

What on earth was Aluko doing in the first part of the 2nd half? When we were in possession he moved into the centre circle to receive the ball. Every time. For about 10 minutes. It was bizarre and left a huge hole down the right that Meite had to go and fill for Gunter to pass to. No problem with Meite making a run down the right, but I still don't know what Aluko was thinking. Or was this a Clement tactic? Very odd.

Uh.. have you not seen Aluko play for us before? He does that every game...

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Sep 2018 19:54

windermereROYAL
Lower West

Totally agree, changing the manager every season hasn`t helped in the slightest as it since relegation from the PL. in fact it`s got worse, we really need to keep faith, I`m confident he`s the right man for the job.

It's easy to change manager when they're shite. Adkins was just not doing a good job and McDermott was a stop gap so barely counts. Clarke was sacked after falling out with the club despite the players strongly supporting him and Stam had backed himself into a corner where it was impossible not to sack him. Clement is doing the same now.

notloyalenuffroyal

by notloyalenuffroyal » 01 Sep 2018 20:00

NewCorkSeth
notloyalenuffroyal

Sadly I only get to about 5 or 6 games a season so I have only ever seen him be utterly useless passing the ball out of play on the wing. Today was my first opportunity to see him jog into the centre circle several times to have ago at kicking it out of play from there.

He has to be the one winger I have never enjoyed watching play at Reading.
There have been worse wingers, but at least they entertained me by trying hard or falling over a lot.

There is no merit in Sone Aluko.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Sep 2018 20:02

notloyalenuffroyal
NewCorkSeth
notloyalenuffroyal

Sadly I only get to about 5 or 6 games a season so I have only ever seen him be utterly useless passing the ball out of play on the wing. Today was my first opportunity to see him jog into the centre circle several times to have ago at kicking it out of play from there.

He has to be the one winger I have never enjoyed watching play at Reading.
There have been worse wingers, but at least they entertained me by trying hard or falling over a lot.

There is no merit in Sone Aluko.

He spends the majority of his time, while were in possession, strolling about the centre circle. He's utterly useless as a winger.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 Sep 2018 20:03

I do have time for PC and often agree with decisions he has made. But he has dropped some real clangers recently, imo costing us the game against Blackburn and Bolton

We have to work harder at getting clean sheets. We’ve had one clean sheet this season and won the game.

Have some sympathy for him over the squad size. Just wtf is he going to do with the likes of Edwards, Popa, Clement, McCleary, Blackett etc when they are all fit. Can’t be good for team spirit at all

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 01 Sep 2018 20:07

TBF this was better than Bolton;at least they put in a shift ;unfortunately we were well down on any quality.
My one criticism of Clement is that playing 4-2-4 at this level is suicidal; unless you have two really good CM s which we don't have.
If you are going to pick Alukho; put him in the hole behind the front striker. We have had a season and a bit of him playing wide, and he has been hopeless. What's wrong with him ?

IMHO:
Mannone 5: Should probably got a hand to the first. I think Walker would have saved one of them, as he is such a big lump when spread.
Gunter 4: Typical Gunts performance; "not me sir !". Not one decent cross.
Viadom 5: To be honest , I was disappointed; he showed more drive (on the left); on Wednesday.
Ilori 6: Once again blew hot and cold. Some woeful passing.
Moore 6: Gave him a 6, because he scored the goal. But no leadership or organisation.
Meyler 3: TBF started OK; then after 20 minutes he got worse and worse. Until finally he was just a plain embarrassment.We have acquired a dud.
Bacuna 5: Probably summed up the overall performance. Worked hard, but next to no quality.
Meite 4: Worked hard, won his headers. But has the touch and technical ability of a brick wall.
Baldock 2: Oh dear.
Barrow 1: JUst abysmal. Way out of form.
Alukho 1: Barely a 1.Someone needs to sit down with him and find out whats wrong.

Kelly: Better than Wednesday, but inefectual.
Sims: Why ? We are asking a young kid, still learning his game. to drag us out of the mire. its unfair on him.
Mc Nulty: TBF, it wasnt all bad;just most of it.

Ref: Good 1st half and the 2nd half he was atrocious and began to lose control and his head.

Do I think we will go down ? Yes probably, but we are not a million miles away from being average.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 01 Sep 2018 20:12

Lower West Little point in changing the manager.

No point in keep changing manager's. Unless, you don't like him, then change the rules...

Lower West Personally I like Clement very open and speaks his mind. If his job is safe, come what may. Then the future will seem brighter.

Really? Wouldn't that make anything further you may say on the subject pretty much meaningless?
Since when are manager's not accountable? You think when he wanted the job and took it, he thought 'Hey, even tho this is a results business, and I knew that when I got in to the game, I'm not even going to be accountable here'?

I don't really have to 'like' a manager. Really could care less whether 'he's open and speaks his mind'.
As it happens, I don't particularly like Warnock or Pulis, but pretty sure they'd be doing better than Clement.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 01 Sep 2018 20:41, edited 5 times in total.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 01 Sep 2018 20:13

Westwood52 TBF this was better than Bolton;at least they put in a shift ;unfortunately we were well down on any quality.
My one criticism of Clement is that playing 4-2-4 at this level is suicidal; unless you have two really good CM s which we don't have.
If you are going to pick Alukho; put him in the hole behind the front striker. We have had a season and a bit of him playing wide, and he has been hopeless. What's wrong with him ?

IMHO:
Mannone 5: Should probably got a hand to the first. I think Walker would have saved one of them, as he is such a big lump when spread.
Gunter 4: Typical Gunts performance; "not me sir !". Not one decent cross.
Viadom 5: To be honest , I was disappointed; he showed more drive (on the left); on Wednesday.
Ilori 6: Once again blew hot and cold. Some woeful passing.
Moore 6: Gave him a 6, because he scored the goal. But no leadership or organisation.
Meyler 3: TBF started OK; then after 20 minutes he got worse and worse. Until finally he was just a plain embarrassment.We have acquired a dud.
Bacuna 5: Probably summed up the overall performance. Worked hard, but next to no quality.
Meite 4: Worked hard, won his headers. But has the touch and technical ability of a brick wall.
Baldock 2: Oh dear.
Barrow 1: JUst abysmal. Way out of form.
Alukho 1: Barely a 1.Someone needs to sit down with him and find out whats wrong.

Sims: Why ? We are asking a young kid, still learning his game. to drag us out of the mire. its unfair on him.
Mc Nulty: TBF, it wasnt all bad;just most of it.

Ref: Good 1st half and the 2nd half he was atrocious and began to lose control and his head.

Do I think we will go down ? Yes probably, but we are not a million miles away from being average.

You say our midfield is shit give our wingers 1 each then give Baldock a 2 and say oh dear, what the fcuk to you expect?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 01 Sep 2018 20:17

CountryRoyal This is the year we go down isn’t it?

Yes, I fear it is.

The sad thing is that last season we narrowly escaped. I thought, "Great, that's it for another 5+ years.... " thinking that even if we struggled we'd always be around 16-18 at the lowest and get back to normal.

I can see no way out for this team as it is. Where will a win come from?

Today was one of the worst, most inept performances I've seen for months and months. Considering that was at home, considering our start, and considering so many of our players are giving it large about trying then I am worried.

I would be amazed if we don't go down... even after about 6 games, I am just so concerned about our future

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 01 Sep 2018 20:25

Seriously, 6 games... no wins... ????

SIX GAMES...

I haven't a clue where one will come from.

Also it is depressing how pooor our attendence and atmosphere is. Club 1871 doesn't help, but it's not the issue.

THe entire west stand seems deserted, maybe 30-40% populated. The North around 30% populated. Just seems to be so sparse. Depressing.

notloyalenuffroyal

by notloyalenuffroyal » 01 Sep 2018 20:28

Westwood52

Agreed with so much of what you said, but thought this was a little harsh. I thought he changed the game in many ways.

He played with loads of energy, he sat in front of the back 4 at times making some great tackles. He then got on the ball and at least looked to go forward quickly.

He made some mistakes, yes, but he was there to make them which was more than others this game. I don't think they would have scored the second at the start of the 2nd half if he was there. He was hustling and bustling in that area in a way that Meyler wasn't.

He even won a header. Extraordinary.

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 01 Sep 2018 20:33

Mannone 5 Didnt have a whole tonne to do, but just never instills confidence at all

Gunter 4 Why on earth was Blackett dropped for him? The guy cannot cross a road ffs. Also suspect defensivley, was beaten in the second half down the right far too much.
Moore 6 At least has some semblance of quality about him, but the backing of for both goals was poor
Ilori 5 Started to lose his head in the second half
Yiadom 6 Played well considering he was out of position.

Meyler 2 Truly awful performance, and not sure how he survived on the field for 60 minutes. The ironic cheers when he got subbed said it all.
Bacuna 5 Did run round a lot, tried to break up the play, but ultimately didn't add very much.
Barrow 4 Horrendously out of form, not sure being subbed
Aluko 2 Frankly don't want to see him play for Reading ever again. He has got no heart whatsoever. Gutless.

Baldock 4 I want to like Baldock, and he provides some nice touches but ultimatley, he's a striker, and too often just didn't manage to do enough.
Meite 3 He runs around a lot, he tries his best, but he's just not that good is he? He can't really cross, his first touch is horrendous, and for a guy with such strength, he ends up on the floor far too often.

Sims 7 Looked lively when he came on, and showed more urgency
Kelly 5 Provided a bit of urgency, and was better than recent weeks, dissapointed with the inevitable lofted balls we got though in the final few minutes.
McNulty 4 Outside of one shot from long range, don't think he did very much. Think the step up is just very big for him.

252 posts