The Retained List

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The Retained List

by SCIAG » 08 May 2024 22:21

Could understand getting rid of any of the three left backs but letting them all go is a big gamble.

Leaves us with six senior defenders and one of them is Dean.

Fwiw as I mentioned in another thread, I was sat near Carson's dad on Saturday and while he wasn't expecting him to be first choice next season, he certainly wasn't expecting him to be let go. I guess the writing on the wall was Ryan making the bench. Do think Carson's the better player and well worth renewing, give him two years and let him spend the first six months on loan.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 08 May 2024 22:38

SCIAG Could understand getting rid of any of the three left backs but letting them all go is a big gamble.

Leaves us with six senior defenders and one of them is Dean.

Fwiw as I mentioned in another thread, I was sat near Carson's dad on Saturday and while he wasn't expecting him to be first choice next season, he certainly wasn't expecting him to be let go. I guess the writing on the wall was Ryan making the bench. Do think Carson's the better player and well worth renewing, give him two years and let him spend the first six months on loan.

I'm assuming they wanted to keep Mola, which seems likely; NGW was always going to go.

The big thing is Ryan's favour is he's just over a year younger than Carson - Carson's 22 in October; Ryan's 21 in January. Carson may be better now, but he's not at League One standard yet and would probably be too old to play U21 football for another season; Ryan can play U21 football for another season.

Carson needs at least a season of regularly League Two football before he's ready for League One; realistically we've got to be looking towards players who could develop to Championship level. I'm not sure Carson will reach that level from what I've seen (as a left-back at least). I don't know if Ryan's going to develop to that level either, but he's got another year of youth football; he could be better than Carson's current ability this time next season.

I imagine we'll be looking to bring in a left-back in the summer, with Dorsett (him also covering left CB) and an U21 player (most likely Ryan) as the back ups.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 08 May 2024 23:29

It wouldn't surprise me if we already have somebody lined up awaiting the takeover and official end of season. It was mentioned on another post regarding us being a "Basket Case" of a club which has been pretty much an understatement this season. However, that's all down to Dai Yongge!! take him out of the equation and hopefully add the stability of new ownership and all of a sudden what's not to like for a young premier league player or any player in the lower leagues.
Great Stadium, a rapidly improving team playing good football, great training facilities and a fanbase that has found its Mojo!! I don't think we'll have any problem attracting young hungry players or even a handful or seasoned pro's to add experience.
The retained list is out and give's us a strong core of players who were rapidly improving together and now just a few spots need improving.

Hopefully the take-over gets completed in the next few weeks and we can all enjoy a peaceful off-season.

fred sharpes nose

by fred sharpes nose » 08 May 2024 23:34

Stranded
Snowflake Royal Pleasantly surprised we had an option on Azeez (LOL @ Brogue claiming he was off).

Surprised by Carson and Mola going and both Rushesha and Abrefa getting offers.

Whilst I think we all wanted Carson to step up, I'm not convinced he has the mental strength so not upset. Mola does seem harsh, and leaves us light, but with Dorsett and Ryan to cover, hopefully we have a top class target to go for.

I guess us taking the option on Azeez doesn't mean he isn't off but we can get a few hundred grand if he does go whilst at worst giving us a season to try and get up to persuade him to hang around.

Surprised by Rushesha as he hasn't really played too much either in the first team or u21s but they must see something they like.

Seems Ryan is highly rated, so I assume we will go into the next season with him as an option behind a more experienced starter.

ITK - £1.2m offer for Azeez rejected, takeover will go ahead, recruitment targets already identified (maybe lined up), looking to offload Button Dean (payoff) and Bouzains

traff

by traff » 09 May 2024 08:49

Apparently, Mola offered a new contract until prospective new owners changed the terms.
Make of that what you will.
Tighter reins on the budget? New owners already active?

mikey_1871

by mikey_1871 » 09 May 2024 09:33

traff Apparently, Mola offered a new contract until prospective new owners changed the terms.
Make of that what you will.
Tighter reins on the budget? New owners already active?

This theory has already been debunked by James Earnshaw

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 May 2024 09:50

It all sounds rather suspect speculation.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 May 2024 10:40

It's just nice that, for the first time in years, we're retaining a decent core of the squad and talking about targeted signings before the season is over rather than being left with a 7 a side team and scrabbling around in the bargain bucket in July after every one else has had their fill.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 09 May 2024 10:51

From Despair To Where? It's just nice that, for the first time in years, we're retaining a decent core of the squad and talking about targeted signings before the season is over rather than being left with a 7 a side team and scrabbling around in the bargain bucket in July after every one else has had their fill.

+1

In regards to Mola he was an improved player, but I believe there are better options out there. I have seen talk of him going to Cambridge but I expect it’s untrue.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 09 May 2024 11:02

From Despair To Where? It's just nice that, for the first time in years, we're retaining a decent core of the squad and talking about targeted signings before the season is over rather than being left with a 7 a side team and scrabbling around in the bargain bucket in July after every one else has had their fill.

Very much agree with this.

I guess we will be looking to consolidate further at this level next season with a view to making a push towards the top the following season with a few more players then bought or brought in who look to be potential Championship quality.

At the moment only Bindon and Wing IMHO fit that bill but if players like Elliot, Big Kelvin, Craig and Savage kick on next season we might get there earlier.

Three uncertainties I feel remain;-
Will a takeover happen and will new owners be what we have been hoping for?
Will Azeez and /or Bindon go?
Will Selles be replaced?

Until those areas are resolved we have, as ever, just to live in hope but it is a nice change to think that we will be able to put a team out in August that is not packed with youngsters who might not yet be ready having to play because we don't have the numbers.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 May 2024 11:06

I really don't think Wing would cut it in the Championship these days.

I think many of the younger players would step up though, while the higher skill and fitness level would see him struggle to be effective.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 09 May 2024 11:28

WHat does "Options activated" mean?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 09 May 2024 11:58

Snowflake Royal I really don't think Wing would cut it in the Championship these days.

I think many of the younger players would step up though, while the higher skill and fitness level would see him struggle to be effective.

As for Wing I do believe that with younger legs to work alongside him he could step up for a couple of seasons.
His passing is better than we have seen at Reading for a long time and he does have an eye for a (spectacular) goal.

We tried with Guthrie and Norwood but it didn't really work out for either of them as playmakers , albeit at a higher level, but I do feel that Wing could be good enough- Middlesborough thought so and he played 80 games for them as a Championship player and he is still under 30.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 09 May 2024 12:16

South Coast Royal
Snowflake Royal I really don't think Wing would cut it in the Championship these days.

As for Wing I do believe that with younger legs to work alongside him he could step up for a couple of seasons.
His passing is better than we have seen at Reading for a long time and he does have an eye for a (spectacular) goal.

We tried with Guthrie and Norwood but it didn't really work out for either of them as playmakers , albeit at a higher level, but I do feel that Wing could be good enough- Middlesborough thought so and he played 80 games for them as a Championship player and he is still under 30.

Would agree with this. Wing alongside someone like Savage or Craig or Elliot would probably be fine in Champ. Much how Leigertwood had a good partnership with Karacan.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 May 2024 12:27

Hendo
South Coast Royal

Would agree with this. Wing alongside someone like Savage or Craig or Elliot would probably be fine in Champ. Much how Leigertwood had a good partnership with Karacan.

Hopefully we'll find out in two seasons and you'll be right.

I fear we've probably got 2 more seasons of L1 at least though, by which time he'll be 31 ish.

Crusader Royal

by Crusader Royal » 09 May 2024 12:54

Millsy WHat does "Options activated" mean?

Some contracts are for a fixed period (say 1 year) and then there might be a clause that says the club, or the player, or either, has the option to extend the contract for an extra period (say 1 year).
So in the case of Azeez he was under contract for 2 (3?) years but we had the option of extending it for another year, and we have taken that option. It’s different to him agreeing an extra year, we had included it as part of his original contract.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 May 2024 13:07

Think wing could do a job in the champ, just wouldn’t stand out like he does here

He is around 30 but don’t think he’s had loads and loads of games in his legs - could go for another 4-5 years I reckon

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 09 May 2024 13:19

Hound Think wing could do a job in the champ, just wouldn’t stand out like he does here

He is around 30 but don’t think he’s had loads and loads of games in his legs - could go for another 4-5 years I reckon

He will be 29 next month and his game is not about great pace.

Luka Modric is 38 and Thiago Silva 39 and if some of you lot are in poor physical shape for those sort of ages the modern player at 28 can , barring injuries, carry on playing for some years if he looks after himself.

BTW Harry Kane is coming up to 31 and Harry Maguire is already there and in his case will probably go on until he is 50 as he doesn't do any running and Southgate would doubtless still pick him. :wink: .

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 10 May 2024 14:58

Crusader Royal
Millsy WHat does "Options activated" mean?

Some contracts are for a fixed period (say 1 year) and then there might be a clause that says the club, or the player, or either, has the option to extend the contract for an extra period (say 1 year).
So in the case of Azeez he was under contract for 2 (3?) years but we had the option of extending it for another year, and we have taken that option. It’s different to him agreeing an extra year, we had included it as part of his original contract.

Ah brilliatn got it thank you.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 11 May 2024 19:23

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
South Coast Royal

Hopefully we'll find out in two seasons and you'll be right.

I fear we've probably got 2 more seasons of L1 at least though, by which time he'll be 31 ish.

We won't be going up next season, don't think we will even make the playoffs. Selles did well, I just don't think he is the guy to get us to that level. We look short in some areas as well and the squad needs fattening up. Be interesting to see how the new owners get involved in that bit.