Kitson in the Premiership

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 04 Jul 2006 12:56

Toadie Kits should be alright in the Prem, but probably won't score more than 15, just because of the step up in quality of the defenders.

My main concerns about players in the Prem are Blakey and Murts, both technically alright, but not the quickest I've ever seen, and pace gets more and more important the further up the leagues you go!

If he was to get anywhere near 15 goals, I would be delighted. I too have my reservations about Kitson in the Premiership. He's been outstanding for us since he joined, but I just worry that he doesn't have technical ability for the step up.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 04 Jul 2006 12:57

But people were saying exactly that when he left Cambridge - so only one way to find out .....

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 04 Jul 2006 12:59

The question about Kits (or Leroy) for England is simple; will McClaren look at new options, or will he stick with fundamentally the same squad as before?

If he IS open to new players being given a chance, and Kits and Leroy start well, then there would have been every chance that they may have got a look in during any Friendlies.... however, with the exception of Greece (and that is in doubt) there are no Friendlies before the qualification for Euro 2008 begins......and with both Owen and Rooney out for the first 2 (at least) what price a Crouch/AJ frontline?

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 04 Jul 2006 13:00

Dirk Gently But people were saying exactly that when he left Cambridge - so only one way to find out .....

Very true, and I hope I'm proved wrong.

People saying that he's better than Crouch and Beattie are being a bit silly though.

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 04 Jul 2006 13:19

southbank1871
Toadie Kits should be alright in the Prem, but probably won't score more than 15, just because of the step up in quality of the defenders.

My main concerns about players in the Prem are Blakey and Murts, both technically alright, but not the quickest I've ever seen, and pace gets more and more important the further up the leagues you go!

If he was to get anywhere near 15 goals, I would be delighted. I too have my reservations about Kitson in the Premiership. He's been outstanding for us since he joined, but I just worry that he doesn't have technical ability for the step up.

Tend to agree with this. My main concern with Kitson ia not so much his playing ability but more can he stay clear of knocks and injuries which he is prone to get. With Lita still regaining fitness (Owen) and Long still very much a novice(Walcott) I hope the decision not to sign another quality striker doesn't backfire like it did for England!! We still have Doyle who I have a feeling will set the Premiership alight.

I guess its just a question of wait and see for all the players from last year.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 04 Jul 2006 13:20

Kitson has to change his game for the Prem, he's not got the pace or power of players like Roberts and Harewood who have made the step up but he is imho a better goal poacher than either. I don't think he'll get away playing just behind the main striker in the Prem like he currently tries to do, if he concentrates on getting into the 6 yard box we should create the chancefor him o get 10 plus goals next season.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 04 Jul 2006 13:36

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Kitson has to change his game for the Prem, he's not got the pace or power of players like Roberts and Harewood who have made the step up but he is imho a better goal poacher than either. I don't think he'll get away playing just behind the main striker in the Prem like he currently tries to do, if he concentrates on getting into the 6 yard box we should create the chancefor him o get 10 plus goals next season.

This is the key point as far as I am concerned.
He has been able to take his time in Chamionship games, but in all games last season against Premiership opposition he was found wanting. Especially at Highbury where the defenders seemed to close him down easily.

Don't get me wrong I think he could be good enough, but not without making some changes. He will simply have to increase both his speed of thought and of action. That's all - no problem

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Jul 2006 13:38

You have to remember he'd only just come back from injury in that Arsenal game so probably not a fair performance to analysis him on.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Kitson in the Premiership

by floyd__streete » 04 Jul 2006 13:39

HighburyRoyale I think that Doyle will be fine (and miniMe Long as well), Lita will depend on whether he gets started early - if his confidence is up, he'll score goals (the goals are bigger in the Prem right?) - but Kito could struggle in my opinon.

So you're saying that Shane Long, who got a couple of goals from mainly substitute appearances and who looks a bright prospect if a little bit of a rough diamond, is a better bet to do well next season than our top scorer in the last two seasons? :?

Frustrated_Royal

by Frustrated_Royal » 04 Jul 2006 13:41

Dirk Gently But people were saying exactly that when he left Cambridge - so only one way to find out .....

Good point, I'll be keen to see how everyone does next season, including Kitson. I think that Shane Long could be an important player if, as Coppell says, we don't bring any strikers in the close season.

Pace and ability is the key in the Premiership. Do Reading have enough players with both? My view is that they need two or three quality players to compete for first team places. I'm itching to hear some transfer news...

Adrian's Fool

by Adrian's Fool » 04 Jul 2006 13:41

He has been able to take his time in Chamionship games, but in all games last season against Premiership opposition he was found wanting. Especially at Highbury where the defenders seemed to close him down easily.

He had his chances at Highbury, just couldn't take them! Kitson is one of those players that, even with his scoring record, frequently looks ineffectual for most of a game and still ends up with a couple on the scoresheet. I wouldn't expect any different this season (except maybe it will be one rather than two goals).

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Jul 2006 13:43

I agree with many so far, I have lingering doubts that Kitson might not be able to make the step up. That applies to pretty much all our squad though!

With Kitson I think the key factors will be if he can stay fit and how motivated he is to work hard for the team like he did when he had a point to prove at the start of his Reading career.

His lack of pace isn't much of a worry for me, his game is based on it and so I don't think thats a problem. His finishing is more of a worry for me. It's improved over time but he can still be a bit wasteful in front of goal and the higher you go the less chances you get, you have to become more clinical to suceed.

As for who will start upfront, well I'd expect Kitson and Doyle to start if all three forwards are fit. Kitson has the advantage of being useful at set pieces at both ends of the pitch and his physical presence could be important.

EDIT: I'm amazed that Coppell isn't aiming at bringing in another forward for the start of the season though. Personally I think thats almost as short sighted as taking a 17 year old with no experience to the World Cup.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 04 Jul 2006 13:54

Adrian's Fool

He had his chances at Highbury, just couldn't take them! Kitson is one of those players that, even with his scoring record, frequently looks ineffectual for most of a game and still ends up with a couple on the scoresheet. I wouldn't expect any different this season (except maybe it will be one rather than two goals).

I agree he had chances, but he was closed down quickly and either didn't get his shot away or the pressure caused him to misfire. Premiership defenders will not give him the time he is used to, but there should be no surprise there.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Jul 2006 13:58

bcubed
Adrian's Fool

I agree he had chances, but he was closed down quickly and either didn't get his shot away or the pressure caused him to misfire. Premiership defenders will not give him the time he is used to, but there should be no surprise there.

He had his header as well that he placed straight at the keeper.

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 04 Jul 2006 14:09

Kitson on the season review DVD, 'all my goals are rubbish, they're all tap-ins'

Which is exactly why he doesn't need great pace, he's a right time and place type player, not a take-em on and score type of player... Not to say he's not a grafter when he wants to be... and that's at both ends of the pitch.

BrumbasedROYAL

by BrumbasedROYAL » 04 Jul 2006 14:09

Kitson is all about getting in the right place at the right time, I think he will do well in the prem. Think maybe Doyle will take a year to adjust to the prem, and hopefully staying up he will develop into a cracking prem player.
Lita I think could be our star next year, if he gets on a run of goals he potential is endless.
Long I would be happy with a few cameo appearances next year don't think he is ready yet but in a few seasons he will be.

The future is bright, the future is READING....

poohs pure

Re: Kitson in the Premiership

by poohs pure » 04 Jul 2006 14:13

HighburyRoyale Don't get me wrong, the boy's been a legend for the club over the past few years, but is anyone else just a little worried that Kitson is going to look awful in the Premiership?

I think that Doyle will be fine (and miniMe Long as well), Lita will depend on whether he gets started early - if his confidence is up, he'll score goals (the goals are bigger in the Prem right?) - but Kito could struggle in my opinon.

He looked very ordinary against Arsenal's reserves and I think he just lacks that quality for the Prem.

Hope to be proved wrong mind...

Kitson reminds me a lot of Teddy Sheringham. No pace what so ever, great vision, ability to play someone else in and a distinct knack of being in the right place at the right time.

lightning strikes

by lightning strikes » 04 Jul 2006 14:20

Exactly - Kitson is the new Sheringham. No-one else in our team has got the touch or vision to match him. Kitson, providing he's fit, is absolutely nailed on to be our first choice striker.

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 04 Jul 2006 14:36

if Crouch can do it at the top level then Im damn sure Kits can as well

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 04 Jul 2006 14:41

I think Kitson'll be fine in the Premiership. If Shaun Goater's good enough then so is he :lol: