Kitson in the Premiership

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 04 Jul 2006 14:44

lightning strikes Exactly - Kitson is the new Sheringham. No-one else in our team has got the touch or vision to match him. Kitson, providing he's fit, is absolutely nailed on to be our first choice striker.

Oh God, Kitson is nowhere near as good as Sheringham I'm afraid to say.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 04 Jul 2006 14:55

southbank1871
lightning strikes Exactly - Kitson is the new Sheringham. No-one else in our team has got the touch or vision to match him. Kitson, providing he's fit, is absolutely nailed on to be our first choice striker.

Not even now!

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 04 Jul 2006 14:56

Kitson in the Premiership could go either way, depending on how much service he gets. Kitson for England seems a stretch. If we're looking for England strikers, I'd say Lita is a much bigger possibility. He could well emerge as the pure striker England sadly lack. He strikes the ball immaculately and has a great sense of balance around the goal. In 12 months we could be looking at Rooney and Lita as the England dream partnership (Tottenham's Lita, that is :( )

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 04 Jul 2006 14:58

southbank1871

Was Teddy Sherringham top flight quality when he first graced the top flight with Millwall?

Fezza

by Fezza » 04 Jul 2006 15:26

Stranded
bcubed
Adrian's Fool
He has been able to take his time in Chamionship games, but in all games last season against Premiership opposition he was found wanting. Especially at Highbury where the defenders seemed to close him down easily.

He had his chances at Highbury, just couldn't take them! Kitson is one of those players that, even with his scoring record, frequently looks ineffectual for most of a game and still ends up with a couple on the scoresheet. I wouldn't expect any different this season (except maybe it will be one rather than two goals).

I agree he had chances, but he was closed down quickly and either didn't get his shot away or the pressure caused him to misfire. Premiership defenders will not give him the time he is used to, but there should be no surprise there.

He had his header as well that he placed straight at the keeper.

As I recall it was his first start after coming back from injury. Surely you can't honestly think to make a reasonable judgement on that performance?

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 04 Jul 2006 15:30

lightning strikes No-one else in our team has got the touch or vision to match him.

That is total garbage, Shorey, Harper, Little, Doyle and Convey all are technically better footballers than Kitson.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 04 Jul 2006 16:10

I believe we should be worrying much more about our defenders than our forwards.
Promoted sides always seem to go out and buy forwards whereas West Ham and Wigan last season bought mainly defenders and look how well both of those teams did.
I don't think that Kitson was ever fully fit last season but if he is this time then he could make quite an impact.
With the dearth of big English strikers I see no reason why Kitson couldn't eventually come into contention for an England place.

Is Jason Roberts English?
Neither he nor Harewood were ever thought of as potential England players when out of the Premiership but last season they showed that a big old-style English centre-forward can still get amongst top Premiership defenders and cause damage.
If we don't get over-run at the back and in midfield and if (2 big "if"s there) our wide men get a reasonable amount of possession I can see our strikers scoring enough goals.
It will only be enough though if we keep them out at the other end.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Jul 2006 16:11

Arch talking about Lita He could well emerge as the pure striker England sadly lack. He strikes the ball immaculately and has a great sense of balance around the goal.

He broke his ankle falling over trying to take a shot!!!

HighburyRoyale

Re: Kitson in the Premiership

by HighburyRoyale » 04 Jul 2006 16:12

floyd__streete
So you're saying that Shane Long, who got a couple of goals from mainly substitute appearances and who looks a bright prospect if a little bit of a rough diamond, is a better bet to do well next season than our top scorer in the last two seasons? :?

Not directly, but I suppose by association. I think if Doyle had played as many games as Long did last season, you'd be askiung the same question, but because of the time he got on the pitch it's a given that he's Premiership class? (I agree, btw that I think he is premiership class).

I think Long is likely to be as good as/better than KD (something I hear from those that knew them both at Cork too) - just needs pitch time. I think he's suited to the Prem more than Kitson, yes, but you couldn't necessarily start with a Doyle/Long partnership from day one....

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 04 Jul 2006 16:27

I hate to say it, but I too have my doubts about Kitson in the Prem. To compare him to Sheringham is nonsense. Sheringham had/has strength and good balance. Kitson is lacking in both.

I hope I'm wrong!!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Jul 2006 16:31

HighburyRoyale I think Long is likely to be as good as/better than KD (something I hear from those that knew them both at Cork too) - just needs pitch time.

Long has the physical attributes to be a good player but technically and in his understanding of the game he is miles away at the moment.

Thats not to say he can't learn, but from the bits I saw last year I don't think he's ready for the Premiership yet. I think he'd benefit from a year on loan whilst we get in a willy old campaigner to complement Kitson, Doyle and Lita.

Back to Kitson...I think the similarities with Shreingham were quite dramatic in the early Kitson days when he dropped deaper looking for the ball. Last season he didn't do that as much, partly, I think, because Doyle was doing much of the same thing, allowing Kitson to stay a little further forward.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 04 Jul 2006 16:45

Gav Kitson on the season review DVD, 'all my goals are rubbish, they're all tap-ins'

Which is exactly why he doesn't need great pace, he's a right time and place type player, not a take-em on and score type of player... Not to say he's not a grafter when he wants to be... and that's at both ends of the pitch.

I think that was a bit tongue in cheek. I remember a wonderful little chip from him (just outside the 6 yard box). He has had some clever finishes.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 04 Jul 2006 17:23

In a recent interview, when asked to name the most skillful player in Reading's squad, Steve Sidwell picked Dave Kitson.

Fitness will always be an issue with Kit's, but I don't see much appreciation in this thread of just how technically sound our top striker is.

Why worry about the player who scored more goals than anyone else despite missing quite a few matches through injury :?

So he looked rather ordinary against Arsenal.................. let's see how many of our players do any better when we play our strongest 11 against the Arse in the next campaign :?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Jul 2006 18:04

I can't be bothered to read all 4 pages I'm afraid so I apologise if I repeat anyone.

Kitson will do fine in the premiership, or as fine as any of our strikers will. He has the skill, the positioning, the awareness and the intelligence to make it in the premiership. As many have said his main problem is getting niggling injuries.

Those worried about pace are worrying unduely. Whilst I'm not necessarily saying he's in their league, Bergkamp and Sheringham have done alright in the premiership with bugger all pace.

If any of our strikers are impact players you want to bring on with 20-30 mins to go then it's Doyle or Lita not Kitson.

Personally I'd be more nervous about a Lita & Doyle Partnership than anything involving Kitson. Neither really has any height, and neither really strike me as link up players. I think either will perform a lot better with Kitson alongside them.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 04 Jul 2006 18:10

Is Jason Roberts English?

born in Port Royal, Grenada

poohs pure

by poohs pure » 04 Jul 2006 18:17

Woodcote Royal In a recent interview, when asked to name the most skillful player in Reading's squad, Steve Sidwell picked Dave Kitson.

Fitness will always be an issue with Kit's, but I don't see much appreciation in this thread of just how technically sound our top striker is.

Why worry about the player who scored more goals than anyone else despite missing quite a few matches through injury :?

So he looked rather ordinary against Arsenal.................. let's see how many of our players do any better when we play our strongest 11 against the Arse in the next campaign :?

I refer you to my post comparing him to sheringham

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 04 Jul 2006 18:28

Ian Royal I can't be bothered to read all 4 pages I'm afraid so I apologise if I repeat anyone.

Kitson will do fine in the premiership, or as fine as any of our strikers will. He has the skill, the positioning, the awareness and the intelligence to make it in the premiership. As many have said his main problem is getting niggling injuries.

Those worried about pace are worrying unduely. Whilst I'm not necessarily saying he's in their league, Bergkamp and Sheringham have done alright in the premiership with bugger all pace.

If any of our strikers are impact players you want to bring on with 20-30 mins to go then it's Doyle or Lita not Kitson.

Personally I'd be more nervous about a Lita & Doyle Partnership than anything involving Kitson. Neither really has any height, and neither really strike me as link up players. I think either will perform a lot better with Kitson alongside them.

It's not just pace that's the issue, it's speed of thought. That's what worries me - he dithers when others act. Sheringham is a good example of someone who who will shoot early or pass quickly. Kits seems to need more time.

I think he can adjust because he is definitely skilful enough. He has been able to get away with slower reactions in the Championship and will need to sharpen up for the Prem.

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 04 Jul 2006 18:54

An excellent discussion thread.

I agree with Hoop Blah, the key to Kitson's success and those of Lita and Doyle will be good service. If we can put the ball in the box from the flanks or from central midfield I am confident that our strikers will take their chances.

If any of our forwards get at least 10 goals this season then they will be considered to have been a success.

If Lita stays fit then I suspect he may be the one to really shine as his goals last season had a real quality feel about them.

Bucks Dave

by Bucks Dave » 04 Jul 2006 19:06

The correct answer to all of this is that we just don't know which players will be able to step up and which won't and neither do the managers.

I remember we had a defender called Linvoy Primus, good but not outstanding. He went to Portsmouth and they got into the Prem. A year later, Harry Redknapp was interviewed on TV and said that one player he never thought would make it was Linvoy, a lad who stepped up a gear and became a solid Prem defender for them that season. My original view had been the same as 'Arry's. No chance!

The real worry is that some of the players may make a slow start, being a little overawed, and the crowd will not give them a chance, moaning and jeering each touch. We need to give the players a chance to understand the Prem.

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 04 Jul 2006 19:11

HighburyRoyale Don't get me wrong, the boy's been a legend for the club over the past few years, but is anyone else just a little worried that Kitson is going to look awful in the Premiership?

I think that Doyle will be fine (and miniMe Long as well), Lita will depend on whether he gets started early - if his confidence is up, he'll score goals (the goals are bigger in the Prem right?) - but Kito could struggle in my opinon.

He looked very ordinary against Arsenal's reserves and I think he just lacks that quality for the Prem.

Hope to be proved wrong mind...

looking at other English strikers I think he'll do ok...just depends how he starts.....remember when joined.....alot of people didnt think he cut the mustard in the fizzy pop league.....ahem....say no more.......

but sure the prem is alot alot harder than the fizzy pop league