play-offs?

567 posts
East Stand Ste

Re: play-offs?

by East Stand Ste » 18 Apr 2010 06:12

It's still on!!!!!

by 1960 » 18 Apr 2010 09:28

To put it simply: if we win our three games, Swansea lose both of theirs and Blackpool draw one and lose one we are there! Unlikely, but not impossible.

Sir Rodney Effing

by Sir Rodney Effing » 18 Apr 2010 12:50

MmmMonsterMunch Close this thread. Jesus Christ.

Absolutely. Or maybe we can discuss the possibility of Aliens landing or the moon landings never happening or JFK getting shot by the FBI and other such bullsh!t?

Berthwaite

by Berthwaite » 18 Apr 2010 13:25

1960 To put it simply: if we win our three games, Swansea lose both of theirs and Blackpool draw one and lose one we are there! Unlikely, but not impossible.

The odds for this happening are literally about 700-1 against.

Give it up guys - It ain't going to happen.

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 18 Apr 2010 13:59

Goddammit --how many different times and ways do you people need it explained to you?

No fewer than two calls came in to Radio Berks after the f'ing game yesterday, the general theme being "We're still alive!"

Came the host's indulgent reply (paraphrasing): "Indeed! Not dead yet; I don't know all the permutations, but mathematically..."

Above are your "permutations," and the (un)likelihood speaks for itself --nay, it shouts; that's rather The Big Idea at this point

Now then, as a matter of common sense, better to do it in an existing thread that's been tracking it as a historical matter than to leave open the possibility of (at least) one fresh thread after every sodding game, with the predictable smartass replies before one of the (volunteer) mods has to spare the time and effort necessary to lock and delete

So do save your outrage for child molesters and your disdain for those who chew their food with their mouths open

God christ, talk about a lack of perspective --we went thru the same crapola with the "countdown to promotion" four years ago (when somebody would post a fresh "how many points?" thread at full time; mod locks and deletes; running thread gets updated; people bitch and say "I don't understand your maths, and we'll get there when we get there anyway, so stop talking about it")

Now as then, people: it cannot harm you, and if you don't like it, then just pretend that it isn't there --if nothing else, think of the precious seconds out of your lives :idea:

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 18 Apr 2010 14:23

I was interviewed by BBRB yesterday, that was before my beer. I got the word polarity in. :lol: I think the youngster interviewing me was a little nervous.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Apr 2010 14:32

Stranger things have happened.

Reading look to have the easiest part o fthe job to make it, needing to beat Scunny, Watford & Preston. All strugglers.

Swansea losing to both Sheffied Utd and Doncaster is possible, but unlikely.

Blackpool getting no more than 1 point out of Peterborough and Bristol City is the absolute killer.

I could just about see it being possible they might only get two points. But then we'd have to improve our goal difference by more than 10 in three games. 4-0, 4-0 and 3-0? Can't see it myself.

It's always been just one bridge too far for us to make it. But my lordy we've given it a bloody good go. And the only result you can fault in the last couple of months is Ipswich. It's been amazing that we've only really had 1 (one!) poor result in the last 19 league games.

Royalupnorth
Location: Is there a time for first communion, a time for East 17?

by Royalupnorth » 18 Apr 2010 14:43

Look..... nobody really "believes" that we can do it.

But to ask for the thread to be closed and people to shut up about it when it is still a mathematical possiblity is bit silly.
While there is hope it is still fun to tune in on a saturday and watch the teams around us as well.

I am enjoying the run-in. I don't believe, but I do hope.

(And if we win mid week, then at half time next saturday both Swansea and Blackpool are losing and we are winning, will we all be calling for the thread to be re-opened?)
(And can anybody have a look to see how far Preston were behind, last season, with 3 games to go please? I'm sure they were about 9 points behind and got in the play offs not through goal difference or goals scored; which were the same as cardiffs; but by head to head goals scored. Amazing things do happen, albeit rarely.)

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 18 Apr 2010 14:46

Royalupnorth Look..... nobody really "believes" that we can do it.

But to ask for the thread to be closed and people to shut up about it when it is still a mathematical possiblity is bit silly.
While there is hope it is still fun to tune in on a saturday and watch the teams around us as well.

I am enjoying the run-in. I don't believe, but I do hope.

(And if we win mid week, then at half time next saturday both Swansea and Blackpool are losing and we are winning, will we all be calling for the thread to be re-opened?)
(And can anybody have a look to see how far Preston were behind, last season, with 3 games to go please? I'm sure they were about 9 points behind and got in the play offs not through goal difference or goals scored; which were the same as cardiffs; but by head to head goals scored. Amazing things do happen, albeit rarely.)

Actually, Preston made the playoffs last year by virtue of scoring one more goal than Cardiff and not down to head to head record.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 18 Apr 2010 16:24

RoyalChicagoFC Now as then, people: it cannot harm you, and if you don't like it, then just pretend that it isn't there --if nothing else, think of the precious seconds out of your lives :idea:

LOL @ your long-winded and fairly needless rant. Good man.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 18 Apr 2010 17:37

There is a thread on a Cardiff City messageboard asking the question"Why can't Reading still make the play-offs?". Its very complementary about our team from most of their posters.
Good to see.

tink

by tink » 18 Apr 2010 17:58

Royalupnorth (And can anybody have a look to see how far Preston were behind, last season, with 3 games to go please?)

Preston were actually only 4 points off the play offs with 3 games to go - they were 8th on 65 points, but their last 3 games were against cardiff (4th), birmingham (2nd) and qpr (11th), so it seemed unlikely they would make up 4 points on those around them.

So for us to turn around a 9 point deficit with 3 games remaining would be something pretty spectacular. But stranger things have happened.

And FWIW i got annoyed at the presenter on SSN yesterday when presenting the championship goals who said "and now let's look at blackpool - the only team outside the top 6 who still have a chance of making the play-offs"

Until the maths makes it an impossibility i will keep dreaming that anything is possible (although of course it remains highly unlikely!)

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 18 Apr 2010 18:15

Better to be optimistic and proved wrong, than pessimistic and proved right.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 18 Apr 2010 18:54

If Blackpool lose to Posh I wil streak at the last home game.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Apr 2010 19:43

MmmMonsterMunch If Blackpool lose to Posh I wil streak at the last home game.

Even if we don't get in the play offs!?

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 18 Apr 2010 20:01

Ian Royal
MmmMonsterMunch If Blackpool lose to Posh I wil streak at the last home game.

Even if we don't get in the play offs!?

I'm that confident so yes why not!

Royal_Delight
Location: In Madejski's Mansion counting the fans' season ticket money

by Royal_Delight » 20 Apr 2010 11:35

Blackpool need to draw 1 and lose 1.
Swansea need to lost the last 2 games.
Reading need to win the last 3 games.

Considering Swansea have tough opponents in Sheffield Utd and Doncaster, they could lose the matches. What I am most concerned about is the remaining Blackpool games. They have Peterborough and Bristol City. Don't see Blackpool drawing and losing to Peterborough and Bristol may be easy to beat considering they lost to Scunthorpe in their last game.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Apr 2010 11:55

Blackpool will beat Peterboro so it's time to relax.

Sir Rodney Effing

by Sir Rodney Effing » 20 Apr 2010 12:42

I think this thread can now be re-called the "f*ck-offs"

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 20 Apr 2010 17:21

Royal_Delight Blackpool need to draw 1 and lose 1.
Swansea need to lost the last 2 games.
Reading need to win the last 3 games.

Considering Swansea have tough opponents in Sheffield Utd and Doncaster, they could lose the matches. What I am most concerned about is the remaining Blackpool games. They have Peterborough and Bristol City. Don't see Blackpool drawing and losing to Peterborough and Bristol may be easy to beat considering they lost to Scunthorpe in their last game.

It would be loverly if we win the next two, Blackpool draws and Swansea lose on Saturday. Just to be alive at the beginning of the last day of the regular season would be fantastic.

567 posts