Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Best ever British player

by Dirk Gently » 09 Jan 2023 21:08

Duncan Edwards.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 09 Jan 2023 21:20

Jimmy Greaves, one of the greatest goalscorers in British football history.

Kenny Dalglish, won it all as a player at Liverpool, then did it all again as a manager (short only a European trophy as boss, albeit his time coincided with the European ban).

Bobby Moore. Nearly 800 club appearances, brilliant defender. Captained his country 90 times, a world record he shares with Billy Wright, and led us to our only major honour in 1966.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 09 Jan 2023 21:38

I never saw them so can't comment

By all accounts from my Mrs grandad, a spurs season ticket holder for 55+ years, greaves was the best ever

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Jan 2023 21:47

John Charles.

Dalglish was a very special player.

Hard to compare eras though. I'm not sure how Bale would have coped on the 70s pitch at the Baseball Ground.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Jan 2023 09:18

From Despair To Where? John Charles.

Dalglish was a very special player.

Hard to compare eras though. I'm not sure how Bale would have coped on the 70s pitch at the Baseball Ground.

Or how good someone like Dalglish or Best would have been with all the preparation that goes into players and games these days, not to mention the superb pitches.

And just how much would Greaves be worth if in his prime now?

Overall though we all know the answer to the question is really Robin Friday. :wink:

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 10 Jan 2023 18:30

Possibly Best overall but in the modern era Bale.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 10 Jan 2023 19:36

I'm always wary of the term "best". Who was better - Gordon Banks or Jimmy Greaves?

It's not possible to judge because different players have different skills and attributes.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 10 Jan 2023 19:52

Dirk Gently I'm always wary of the term "best". Who was better - Gordon Banks or Jimmy Greaves?

It's not possible to judge because different players have different skills and attributes.

Let’s go for a best British XI then….

Banks
Dalglish
Greaves
Moore
Best
Charles

Have to be definites for me

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Jan 2023 20:58

….right now? Andy Carroll :)

In reality, Sir Alf Ramsey

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 10 Jan 2023 22:02

Gary Mabbutt

Conservative_dad
Hob Nob Regular

by Conservative_dad » 10 Jan 2023 22:13

Green Gary Mabbutt

He's no Peter Beagrie!

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 11 Jan 2023 15:15

My uncles swore that Duncan Edwards was the best player they had ever seen. Strange to think that if he had survived Munich, he would only have been 29 years old when the 1966 World Cup came around and maybe a shout for captain instead of Moore.

Other British players for me? Best, Law, Baxter, Hoddle, Greaves.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 11 Jan 2023 15:33

Hoddle a good shout for the long list, I guess under-rated as a player, suffering much like Kane does, for spending most of his career at Spurs and not winning much at all. How did he only win 53 England caps?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Jan 2023 16:09

Sanguine Hoddle a good shout for the long list, I guess under-rated as a player, suffering much like Kane does, for spending most of his career at Spurs and not winning much at all. How did he only win 53 England caps?

Like all “gifted” players, Hudson, Bowles and Currie suffered before him, England managers didn’t really want them as they lacked the dreaded term “work rate”. Yes they could dribble past players like they weren’t there and/or hit defence splitting passes with incredible timing and accuracy but the fact they weren’t putting a tackle in or to be found on the goal line at a corner meant they didn’t fit with the really successful British way of playing at the time.

Meanwhile a lot of “johnny foreigners” were busy building national teams around players like that - and even qualifying regularly for world cups and euro championships.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 11 Jan 2023 16:21

Ark Royal My uncles swore that Duncan Edwards was the best player they had ever seen. Strange to think that if he had survived Munich, he would only have been 29 years old when the 1966 World Cup came around and maybe a shout for captain instead of Moore.

One of the biggest compliments I ever had playing football was in one team to be called Jim Baxter-we wore blue shirts and I played left or right half.

Although I dislike Man Utd I am not too biased and agree that Georgie Best has to be one of the best as was Law (Shankly's favourite player-the wee Scottish lad with glasses when at Huddersfield).
Also Giggs would be a contender but that is where it ends for me and Man Utd players.

One of the best known, Beckham, would not even make my top 50.

Even at my advanced age I didn't see much of Edwards or Charles to comment but surely Stanley Matthews and Bobby Charlton have to be considered.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Jan 2023 16:38

Edwards is always going to be mentioned as he had so much promise that was never fulfilled, he may even have been a rival for Pele. It was just so very sad that his life and so many others were lost needlessly on that February night.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Jan 2023 16:39

Bale was phenomenal but I think, in terms of playing career, you could even say Giggs was better, from a Welsh perspective.

They weren't from my era but you would probably argue George Best, Bobby Moore or Jimmy Greaves.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 12 Jan 2023 10:55

South Coast Royal
Ark Royal My uncles swore that Duncan Edwards was the best player they had ever seen. Strange to think that if he had survived Munich, he would only have been 29 years old when the 1966 World Cup came around and maybe a shout for captain instead of Moore.

One of the biggest compliments I ever had playing football was in one team to be called Jim Baxter-we wore blue shirts and I played left or right half.

Although I dislike Man Utd I am not too biased and agree that Georgie Best has to be one of the best as was Law (Shankly's favourite player-the wee Scottish lad with glasses when at Huddersfield).
Also Giggs would be a contender but that is where it ends for me and Man Utd players.

One of the best known, Beckham, would not even make my top 50.

Even at my advanced age I didn't see much of Edwards or Charles to comment but surely Stanley Matthews and Bobby Charlton have to be considered.

This. Beckham was not even the best player in Manchester.

Strange that growing up as a kid, all of my footballing idols were Scottiish: Law, Baxter and Alex Young of Everton, aka 'The Golden Vision'.
Last edited by Ark Royal on 12 Jan 2023 10:59, edited 2 times in total.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 12 Jan 2023 10:57

Sutekh Edwards is always going to be mentioned as he had so much promise that was never fulfilled, he may even have been a rival for Pele. It was just so very sad that his life and so many others were lost needlessly on that February night.

My dad saw him and said he was just exceptional - not just for his age but as a complete, outstanding player.