Simon Cox joins Brentford on-loan

Super Si

by Super Si » 11 Sep 2006 12:44

he'll be released at the end of the season, no way is he going to replace kits, doyle, lita or long. the previous young players we have sent out on loan have all been moved on. coppell won't trust him at this level unless he does exceptionally well on loan.. young, mullins, howell, etc..

Chicken Balti Pie
Location: Sleep pattern fcuked by watchin the English batsmen struggle....

by Chicken Balti Pie » 11 Sep 2006 12:48

Super Si he'll be released at the end of the season, no way is he going to replace kits, doyle, lita or long. the previous young players we have sent out on loan have all been moved on. coppell won't trust him at this level unless he does exceptionally well on loan.. young, mullins, howell, etc..

Now we agree !

West Ham were the first to impliment this kind of policy with the likes of Lampard and Rio going on loan to lower league clubs doing well and establishing themselves upon their return.

Gives younger players a warning of what it is like if you do not make it at the highest level !!!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 11 Sep 2006 13:03

Only one Trevor Morley Good move for Cox - I hope that we dont suffer any more injuries to the forward line however.

Presumably we've got recall clauses in the deal for both him and Golbourne or aren't you allowed to do that anymore?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Sep 2006 13:05

RoyalBlue
Only one Trevor Morley Good move for Cox - I hope that we dont suffer any more injuries to the forward line however.

Presumably we've got recall clauses in the deal for both him and Golbourne or aren't you allowed to do that anymore?

You never have been allowed. In any loan deal of one-month there is no recall. It is only after the first month that a recall clause can be added.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 11 Sep 2006 13:17

Super Si Sorry, Chicken Balti, but I played football with him a number of times and could clearly see that he didn't stand out at all. If you are to become a premiership footballer I think that you would clearly be a lot better than the other kids who just play football up the park.

I played along side Theo when he played games for Thatchem Tornadoes.... never struck me as a premiership player.... showed how much i knew!

BRENTFORD_TILL_DIE

by BRENTFORD_TILL_DIE » 11 Sep 2006 13:49

Hmm hopefully a good signing for us..

Still the Brentford to ReadingFORD transfers continue

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Sep 2006 13:49

Chicken Balti Pie
Super Si he'll be released at the end of the season, no way is he going to replace kits, doyle, lita or long. the previous young players we have sent out on loan have all been moved on. coppell won't trust him at this level unless he does exceptionally well on loan.. young, mullins, howell, etc..

Now we agree !

West Ham were the first to impliment this kind of policy with the likes of Lampard and Rio going on loan to lower league clubs doing well and establishing themselves upon their return.

Gives younger players a warning of what it is like if you do not make it at the highest level !!!

Yeah, ground breaking move that by West Ham to loan young players out to get first team experience....I can't believe nobody had thought of it before!!!

As for Cox, he looks a reasonable prospect but is also a pretty average player. Everything about his game is average, and he looks very much a 'coached' player who rarely puts a foot wrong, but never does the spectacular. With that kind of game he could go on to become anything from a very good player at the top or just be a distinctly average non-league player. Personally I think he'll probably make it as a lower league pro but probably hasn't got enough about him to break through at the top.

As for belittleing Super Si's opinion, just because the club have given him a contract doesn't mean he'll be a success, and the fact he's played with him a number of times probably makes his opinion more valid than most on here.

The loan is a good move though, and I hope it helps Cox to keep on improving as a player and he can become a true first teamer at Reading, it's about time a few made the grade.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 11 Sep 2006 13:50

Super Si Cox used to go to my school. He never looked like anything special then and I haven't seen anything from him since that would suggest otherwise. Always looks like a boy running around aimlessly amongst men.

Won't ever be good enough and is destined for a career in the non-league.

Jealous?

Chicken Balti Pie

by Chicken Balti Pie » 11 Sep 2006 14:01

Hoop Blah
Chicken Balti Pie

Now we agree !

Yeah, ground breaking move that by West Ham to loan young players out to get first team experience....I can't believe nobody had thought of it before!!!

As for Cox, he looks a reasonable prospect but is also a pretty average player. Everything about his game is average, and he looks very much a 'coached' player who rarely puts a foot wrong, but never does the spectacular. With that kind of game he could go on to become anything from a very good player at the top or just be a distinctly average non-league player. Personally I think he'll probably make it as a lower league pro but probably hasn't got enough about him to break through at the top.

As for belittleing Super Si's opinion, just because the club have given him a contract doesn't mean he'll be a success, and the fact he's played with him a number of times probably makes his opinion more valid than most on here.

The loan is a good move though, and I hope it helps Cox to keep on improving as a player and he can become a true first teamer at Reading, it's about time a few made the grade.

Er yes it was at the time. Before that it was just reserve players from a shop window point of view.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Sep 2006 14:02

Chicken Balti Pie Er yes it was at the time. Before that it was just reserve players from a shop window point of view.

Do you really believe that?

Reading Abbey

by Reading Abbey » 11 Sep 2006 14:02

This is good news and just what the lad needs. Lets hope the goals flow and he can make an impression here at reading very soon!

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 11 Sep 2006 14:34

Hoop Blah As for belittleing Super Si's opinion, just because the club have given him a contract doesn't mean he'll be a success, and the fact he's played with him a number of times probably makes his opinion more valid than most on here.

He never said he'd played with him. Just that they went to the same school.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Sep 2006 14:53

Rawlie19
Hoop Blah As for belittleing Super Si's opinion, just because the club have given him a contract doesn't mean he'll be a success, and the fact he's played with him a number of times probably makes his opinion more valid than most on here.

He never said he'd played with him. Just that they went to the same school.

Are you Spacey in disguise?

HighburyRoyale

by HighburyRoyale » 11 Sep 2006 14:56

Well, if he's not likely to get a premiership game (which hopefully he's not with us at the moment) then I think it can only be a good thing...

I think he has quite a lot of potential though.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 11 Sep 2006 15:02

I played football at school and in junior football against Neil Webb and thought he was nothing special at that age.

And he went onto play for England etc. You can't judge by a few school football games and some players are late developers.

test icicles

by test icicles » 11 Sep 2006 15:44

Super Si Cox used to go to my school. He never looked like anything special then and I haven't seen anything from him since that would suggest otherwise. Always looks like a boy running around aimlessly amongst men.

Won't ever be good enough and is destined for a career in the non-league.

my cousin went to school and played regular football with peter crouch and never thought he was going to amount to anything... look where he is now

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 11 Sep 2006 15:46

Super Si Sorry, Chicken Balti, but I played football with him a number of times and could clearly see that he didn't stand out at all. If you are to become a premiership footballer I think that you would clearly be a lot better than the other kids who just play football up the park.
Perhaps he's improved with age, some kids do (Shaun Wright Phillips, released by Notts Forest) whilst others lose their shine (Sonny Pike)

andyhalls

by andyhalls » 11 Sep 2006 16:02

Super Si Cox used to go to my school.

You talking about Downsway or Denefield?

Chicken Balti Pie

by Chicken Balti Pie » 11 Sep 2006 16:45

Hoop Blah
Chicken Balti Pie Er yes it was at the time. Before that it was just reserve players from a shop window point of view.

Prove me wrong :wink:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Sep 2006 17:17

Chicken Balti Pie
Hoop Blah

Prove me wrong :wink:

David Beckham

Closer to home we had David Lee on loan from Chelsea in '92

I agree the nature of loans probably changed around the early '90's. About that time top flight clubs went around poaching kids and putting them in their youths/reserves instead of buying them from lower league sides who'd develope the players themselves and sell them on.

West Ham weren't the not the first club to do it though, and certainly not with the likes of Lampard and Ferdinand.