new Reading fan from the states

Stamtown

by Stamtown » 25 Aug 2006 19:54

naked bobby convey should be the deciding factor in any judgement call.

His high school (Penn Charter) was actually a big rival of mine, i never saw him play us because i was too busy running cross country, but i always heard stories about what a god he was

Row V
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Welcome to NJ, where the weak are killed and eaten.

by Row V » 26 Aug 2006 02:13

Stamtown i was lucky enough to see him playing with AC Milan against Chelsea in the summer tour at the Meadowlands in NJ last summer...

So, that'll be two of us that went then!

This year Sweden, next year USA?

spike25

by spike25 » 13 Sep 2006 22:15

Sorry to resurrect a somewhat old topic, but I'm a new Reading fan from the States as well. I discovered Fox Soccer Channel about 8 months ago, and followed the World Cup pretty closely and decided I wanted to pick a team in the Premier League to follow. Reading was one I looked at because they were a promoted team, which means I'm not jumping on any Arsenal, Chel$ea, Man U bandwagons, and also because I lived in Reading, MA for a year or so when I was in Massachusetts.

When I saw the Middlesbrough game, I knew this was my team. They never quit for all 90 minutes, amazing stuff.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi to everybody and say that supporting Reading for the past few weeks has been more satisfying than any other sports experience in a long time.

noise

by noise » 13 Sep 2006 22:18

Congratulations, there are alot of world Reading fans, take your ticket and join in! To think I thought Americanization only happened to ManU. Maybe I will pick them next year if Reading go down. BRING IT ON

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 13 Sep 2006 22:25

Welcome, hopefully you'll get a chance to come and watch the Royals in action, and seal that Fandom.

elman

Another hi from the States

by elman » 13 Sep 2006 22:58

:oops: Afraid my first post was a bit of a disaster lambasting every ones favorite, Leroy. Apoligies to all those I offended.
Having supported Reading FC from all parts of the world since it must have been around 1947 when Elm Park had cider and railway sleeper terracing it really hurts that I am so far away now the great days have come. Atleast I can see a lot more of the team now they are in the premiership
Anyway my wife (Damn yankee ) thinks I am crazy but it just great to see the club where they are and long may it continue

spike25

by spike25 » 14 Sep 2006 00:15

Winchester Royal Welcome, hopefully you'll get a chance to come and watch the Royals in action, and seal that Fandom.

My sister's husband has been transferred to London, where they'll be until next June. I'm hoping to make a trip out to Berkshire to see a match firsthand when I visit next spring.

The fans sounded absolutely amazing on TV Monday night. I couldn't believe how loud y'all (I'm from texas) were. I'm glad I picked the most exciting team in the Premiership to support.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 14 Sep 2006 10:55

spike25 I'm hoping to make a trip out to Berkshire to see a match firsthand when I visit next spring.
Reading is a 30 minute direct train ride from London Paddington.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 14 Sep 2006 11:04

haven't read through the thread but I was surprised to see 'Blue Collar work ethic' spring up, most RFC fans are in IT.

but anyway welcome to Hobnob.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 14 Sep 2006 14:14

A Royal welcome to you Stamtown. A Royal born & bred of 40 years standing and greatly enjoying our day in the sun. Ms Ark Royal is from PA, so pleased to hear that normal people reside in that part of the world.

Oddesy2k

Reading Fans Around The World

by Oddesy2k » 14 Sep 2006 14:22

Its great to see the greatness of Reading is being noticed around the globe.

Come on you Royals

East Stand Ste

Re: new Reading fan from the states

by East Stand Ste » 14 Sep 2006 14:58

plastic yankee bandwagon jumper!!.....just joking!...welcome!

Stamtown Hi all,

Due to my passionate hatred for baseball, dismal outlook for the Eagles, Flyers, Sixers, and the lack of an MLS team here in Philadelphia, i've decided I need a premiership team to follow and support to fill the void.

It came down to Man City and Reading. Man City because I am so used to depression, alcholism and utter lack of glory from being a Philadelphia sports fan, and Reading because of their underdog moxie, blue collar work ethic and ties to the region (my girlfriend went to high school with Bobby Convey and saw him skinny dipping one morning in the pool once, she swears thats all that happened). I've decided to throw my hat in with Reading after following them through the offseason and the two spirited performances so far in the premiership, plus I'm told the agony of Man City fandom is something you need to be born into anyway.

In any case, I hope you accept me into your ranks and don't think of me as a bandwagon jumper. I feel like I'm getting pretty well up to speed from reading the boards and various articles around the net, but I'd like to gather some opinions about what you guys think is the most important thing to know about being a Royals fan...something about the team history, fan culture, coaches, players, etc...just so I can better feel things out.

Thanks!

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 14 Sep 2006 16:02

You're very welcome. It's wonderful having new fans and interest: anyone who doesn't want the fanbase to grow is mad and probably never stood with four thousand when we were half way down the fourth division. But if you want to be a real Reading fan, you must be prepared to suffer, because this is our peak at the moment and it may not always be like this. (It's ecstasy, basically, ecstabloodycy.)

Until recently, being a Reading fan meant suffering. I remember getting relegated to the old fourth on goal difference in the last match; coming second in the year the Premier was cut down and only one team got automatically promoted; watching us lose a play off final because the ball ricocheted off a forward's anatomy in a manner that defied the laws of pinball and science. But things have gone our way recently in an almost bewildering manner. Stuff has happened that my dad and grandad never lived to see after supporting this club for two lifetimes.

Even so, the sending off of Sonko was quintessentially Reading. That one undeserved sending off cost us a man for the rest of that game, a goal, the defeat, and arguably the defeat after that too when Sonko was suspended. I felt almost reassured, realising that, yes, this really is my team after all.

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 14 Sep 2006 17:44

facaldaqui Until recently, being a Reading fan meant suffering. I remember getting relegated to the old fourth on goal difference in the last match; coming second in the year the Premier was cut down and only one team got automatically promoted; watching us lose a play off final because the ball ricocheted off a forward's anatomy in a manner that defied the laws of pinball and science. But things have gone our way recently in an almost bewildering manner. Stuff has happened that my dad and grandad never lived to see after supporting this club for two lifetimes.

Vitally important stuff that cannot be overemphasized to the recent arrivals.

I only started following club football three and a half years ago myself -- :oops: -- and one of the standout occasions was seeing Reading competing in the Division One playoffs on TV on what would prove to be a day when things didn't exactly work out to the delight of Reading fans everywhere. "Ah, no worries --with a stadium like that and plenty of talent in the side, they'll be up top soon enough."

What precious little did I know.

Fubar
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Fubar » 14 Sep 2006 18:52

Welcome Stam. Been to Philly a few times on business. Love the place.

However, I would like to point out that the Freedom Bell has a bloody big crack in it. You should really get it fixed... :)

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 14 Sep 2006 19:48

I would also like to add my welcome. And er...are you rich enough to buy a Premiership Soccer Club? Because if you are I may know someone......

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 14 Sep 2006 20:37

Ah, another day in the life of a Premiership club: half a dozen new overseas fans check in, nostalgic ramblings about when times were hard, giddy praise for how loud the Monday night crowd sounded... from Thailand!

Please, please, please let us not lose to the Blades. That would be so nineties!

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 15 Sep 2006 00:12

Welcome to the new guys from across the pond!!

Ignore the idiots, and dont be offended by anything - its just the way football is sometimes I guess. This season will certainly have drama, Reading can't avoid it for some reason!

spike25

by spike25 » 15 Sep 2006 15:29

facaldaqui You're very welcome. It's wonderful having new fans and interest: anyone who doesn't want the fanbase to grow is mad and probably never stood with four thousand when we were half way down the fourth division. But if you want to be a real Reading fan, you must be prepared to suffer, because this is our peak at the moment and it may not always be like this.

I hope they at least stay up, because otherwise I won't get to watch their matches at all over here. Never have I rooted so hard for a team.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 Sep 2006 16:35

"USA, USA , USA, USA, USA, USA" etc