Player ratings

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 13 Sep 2006 12:00

Sharpy
SpaceCruiser
Sharpy i thought convey was appauling the other night. bottled out of challenges and was muscled off the ball far too easily

What is "appauling"?

Did you miss Convey's free kick? :roll:

1 decent cross of about 5.....and that was when he did cross it. time after time our wingers could of crossed the ball in great positions and they chose not to :roll:

There is more to a wingers job than just crossing. :roll:

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 13 Sep 2006 12:01

but in good postions you want the ball whipped in with abit of height and pace. doyle and lita are great in the air as they showed from goal kicks.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 13 Sep 2006 12:10

They don't have to cross if they think the forwards are not in decent positions to receive the ball.

If a winger dribbles into the box, scores, makes a through pass for somebody to run onto, makes a few tackles, but only did 1 cross out of 5 possible crosses, would you still be saying that they've had a bad game?

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 13 Sep 2006 12:10

rhaines
Scarface Hahnemann 8 - great handling
Murty 8 - steady
Shorey 8 - steady
Ingimarsson 9 - a brave performance topped off with the goal
Sonko 8 - looked uneasy, but made some crucial headers at the end
Seol 3 - didn't make any effort what so ever
Convey 5 - too weak and never beat the fullback on the outside
Sidwell 7 - battled well
Harper 7 - showed great energy especially in 2nd half
Lita 6 - didn't hold the ball up enough
Doyle 6 - not his best game and missed 2 great chances

You give Marcus an 8 for great handling? I saw at least one occasion where he juggled the ball in front of the goal around 2 City players. Then you give Bobby a 5, rated as the worst player on the pitch after his beautiful cross that led to the only goal? You my friend, should never be allowed to participate in the player ratings thread. I think we are all dumber for have read this crap of a post.

Incorrect, Soel was the worst player.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 13 Sep 2006 12:14

SpaceCruiser
Sharpy
SpaceCruiser
Sharpy i thought convey was appauling the other night. bottled out of challenges and was muscled off the ball far too easily

What is "appauling"?

Did you miss Convey's free kick? :roll:

1 decent cross of about 5.....and that was when he did cross it. time after time our wingers could of crossed the ball in great positions and they chose not to :roll:

There is more to a wingers job than just crossing. :roll:

Yes,

heading - he never does that
tackling - he rarely did that, but did improve 2nd half
dribbling - he rarely did that, often taking the easy option of cutting back
scoring - he didn't do that

Fair play he took the free-kick for the goal, but just for that he doesn't mean overall he played well.

Trigger

by Trigger » 13 Sep 2006 12:22

Bobby didn't have a great night, and still looks to be finding his feet in the Prem confidence-wise. I can't see there's much more to it than that. The fact he got an assist with a good free kick can't hide the fact that he doesn't look his usual self at the moment.

I thought Sonko, Ivar and Sidwell were the standouts, although Lita and Doyle did very well considering the service they got.

Jeffers217

Re: Player ratings

by Jeffers217 » 13 Sep 2006 15:42

Alan Partridge
silas
KC Royal
Lita 7 Did a good job holding up the ball, and linking up play but never really thought he'd score.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lita was absolute toilet last night

What game were you watching siLOLas??????

He was terrific last night, much improved.

Lita did absolute sodall apart from winning a couple of freekicks. However Long was a lot more hungry and i feel that if Kitson is not back soon, Long may just win himself a first team place. Once Kitson is back we will start banging in those goals, he mackes such a big difference

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 13 Sep 2006 15:48

I thought the failed free kick between Shorey, Convey and finally Sidwell could have been a brilliant goal if Sidders hadn't sliced his shot.

Well thought out.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Sep 2006 16:11

Jeffers217
Alan Partridge
silas
KC Royal
Lita 7 Did a good job holding up the ball, and linking up play but never really thought he'd score.

Lita did absolute sodall apart from winning a couple of freekicks. However Long was a lot more hungry and i feel that if Kitson is not back soon, Long may just win himself a first team place. Once Kitson is back we will start banging in those goals, he mackes such a big difference

Must have been watching a different game to me as I saw Lita make at least two tackles back near our byeline to stop crosses coming in having tracked a man back a long distance. Hardly doing sod all.

Don Finch

by Don Finch » 13 Sep 2006 16:14

Jeffers217 Lita did absolute sodall apart from winning a couple of freekicks. However Long was a lot more hungry and i feel that if Kitson is not back soon, Long may just win himself a first team place. Once Kitson is back we will start banging in those goals, he mackes such a big difference

Long came on when City had 10 men and had to chase the game, you can't say that he deserves to start above Lita based on that. Lita has played 4 games in the top flight, 4! Don't forget he was playing at Brizzle City two seasons back, give the lad a chance. I thought he did Ok on Monday, ran his heart out chasing long balls and didn't get any real quality service to his feet + as has been said, he plays better with Kitson and likewise so does Doyle. The be all and end all is that we need(ed) another striker, let's hope we find ourselves in a good enough position in the league that a decent player will want to join us in January.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 13 Sep 2006 16:17

Ah, here's Jeffers again. I bet he wishes we had Theirry Henry. :roll:

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 13 Sep 2006 16:23

Stranded
Jeffers217
Alan Partridge
silas
KC Royal

Must have been watching a different game to me as I saw Lita make at least two tackles back near our byeline to stop crosses coming in having tracked a man back a long distance. Hardly doing sod all.

agreed. anyone who thinks football is all about strikers scoring goals is living in soccer am land

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 13 Sep 2006 18:03

Just read through 4 pages-what a load of conflicting views.
Arch who watched the game presumably from the quiet of his Amercan front room saw that we allowed Man City to come at us and it was our spirit rather than great skill that saw us through.
Wycombe made the very valid point that we always call "Meaker syndrome".
When you don't expect a player to do something (like Lita chasing and Battling) you are so surprised and pleased(as a regular fan) when he does you actually think he has had a really good game.
Wycombe's mate who had never seen Lita play before thought he wasn't up to much.
I would suggest that Lita's performance was somewhere between the two.

Bobby is now getting a bit of the Beckham treatment.
Because he took the free-kick that led to he goal he then supposedly deserves his place. Couldn't Shorey have done the same thing?
As Maguire said,Bobby looked terrified of the City players and either chickened out or shuffled further infield so that he didn't have to make a tackle.
Surprisingly Bobby played the full 90 rather than his normal 70 minutes.

Posters have described Lita's and Bobby's performances as excellent and terrific which just goes to show that we all see things so differently and presumably some are so much more easily pleased than others.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 13 Sep 2006 21:02

Victor Meldrew Just read through 4 pages-what a load of conflicting views.
Arch who watched the game presumably from the quiet of his Amercan front room saw that we allowed Man City to come at us and it was our spirit rather than great skill that saw us through.
Wycombe made the very valid point that we always call "Meaker syndrome".
When you don't expect a player to do something (like Lita chasing and Battling) you are so surprised and pleased(as a regular fan) when he does you actually think he has had a really good game.
Wycombe's mate who had never seen Lita play before thought he wasn't up to much.
I would suggest that Lita's performance was somewhere between the two.

Bobby is now getting a bit of the Beckham treatment.
Because he took the free-kick that led to he goal he then supposedly deserves his place. Couldn't Shorey have done the same thing?
As Maguire said,Bobby looked terrified of the City players and either chickened out or shuffled further infield so that he didn't have to make a tackle.

Posters have described Lita's and Bobby's performances as excellent and terrific which just goes to show that we all see things so differently and presumably some are so much more easily pleased than others.

shut up
the meaks was a misunderstood footballing genius who i loved to watch

"give it to meaks"

aahhhh that takes me back

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 13 Sep 2006 21:55

Your memory plays tricks with you.
The days of shortnening players' names a la Becks,Lamps etc only happened a few years ago.
Meaker was always just f*****g Meaker-never "Meaks".

Jeffers217

by Jeffers217 » 14 Sep 2006 01:23

Lita did 2 good challenges. How many shots did he have? How many times did he lose the ball? How many times did he put the ball past the defenders? I remember one good bit of play from him right at the start but apart from that he is not a shadow on Doyle.
When Long came on he was a lot more hungry, he wanted to be there and he wanted to get a goal. Yes he may have been playing against 1 less player but it was still against two quality centre backs. He made the same amount of challenges and did a lot more running than Lita did in the whole time he was playing. Long has the same mentality as Doyle, they were great buys. Lita on the other hand- would you have said it was a good buy if he scored half the amount of goals he did last season? And may i add that i believe Long had a better goals to game ratio.

I've been to the boro villa and city games and to be honest i havent seen Lita adapt to the premiership at all- hes ahd all of 2 shots on goal in those 3 matches. You can go on about how hes a predator in the box but is he gonna get into the box often with the defences we are coming up against? Wouldnt you prefer a player with more fight and someone who doesnt back off everytime he gets muscled off the ball?

You can tell me hes still adapting and that he will become like harewood and roberts. Unfortunately there is a big difference between them and him- they are all bigger, have more fight, run more and scare defences. Lita doesnt scare defences in the prem, they just need to make sure they keep him out the box.

We desperately need Kitson back, he takes the weight off Doyle.

I would love to see KLita prove me wrong but i cant see it unless he works his arse off

RoyalBird

by RoyalBird » 14 Sep 2006 17:36

Jeffers217 Lita did 2 good challenges. How many shots did he have? How many times did he lose the ball? How many times did he put the ball past the defenders? I remember one good bit of play from him right at the start but apart from that he is not a shadow on Doyle.
When Long came on he was a lot more hungry, he wanted to be there and he wanted to get a goal. Yes he may have been playing against 1 less player but it was still against two quality centre backs. He made the same amount of challenges and did a lot more running than Lita did in the whole time he was playing. Long has the same mentality as Doyle, they were great buys. Lita on the other hand- would you have said it was a good buy if he scored half the amount of goals he did last season? And may i add that i believe Long had a better goals to game ratio.

I've been to the boro villa and city games and to be honest i havent seen Lita adapt to the premiership at all- hes ahd all of 2 shots on goal in those 3 matches. You can go on about how hes a predator in the box but is he gonna get into the box often with the defences we are coming up against? Wouldnt you prefer a player with more fight and someone who doesnt back off everytime he gets muscled off the ball?

You can tell me hes still adapting and that he will become like harewood and roberts. Unfortunately there is a big difference between them and him- they are all bigger, have more fight, run more and scare defences. Lita doesnt scare defences in the prem, they just need to make sure they keep him out the box.

We desperately need Kitson back, he takes the weight off Doyle.

I would love to see KLita prove me wrong but i cant see it unless he works his arse off

I think you're being harsh on Lita, as he was going back to help the defence a lot more than he has done in the past, and was trying to get the ball if it weren't for the crap service given to Doyle and Lita. Ok, both Doyle and Lita play better when partnered with Kitson but defences aren't meant to be scared of Forwards dribbling the ball at them or the team attacking them, otherwise they wouldn't be in the Premiership! I'll admit that i was very impressed with how well Long played when he came on, except for the odd first touch he made, but Lita did put a lot more effort into the game than he has done in the past.

BillBrasky

by BillBrasky » 14 Sep 2006 21:33

Victor Meldrew Bobby is now getting a bit of the Beckham treatment.

He stayed on presumably because his free kicks were excellent all night, not just that one time. Most of the best chances were off of his free kicks/corners. If you have one person that can be deadly on free kicks that is a huge weapon. I'm not saying Bobby is that way all the time or even some of the time because I just don't see Reading play a whole lot but his contribution against Man City was very valuable. And as far as someone else doing it, others took corners, I think Shorey took one and Seol took one but they weren't on target. You could say Bobby was aided by Man City's porous defense on set pieces but you have to put it on target to take advantage of that.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 15 Sep 2006 08:34

silas
Alan Partridge
silas
KC Royal

Pushed off the ball far to easily and didn't hold the ball up at all well. Maybe 'absolute toilet' was bit harsh-just toilet will do :wink:

Can I suggest that a few less beers before the game might help your understanding?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 Sep 2006 08:59

Victor Meldrew Your memory plays tricks with you.
The days of shortnening players' names a la Becks,Lamps etc only happened a few years ago.
Meaker was always just f*****g Meaker-never "Meaks".

he will always be meaks to me mate