Player Ratings vs Man U

79Royal

by 79Royal » 25 Sep 2006 10:56

Barry the bird boggler Overall Team rating - 10/10
Overall Support rating - 11/10

Don't get too carried away with the result though - Sunderland drew with ManU at home last season.

I think Man U won that game 2-1 in the end, but your point still stands.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 25 Sep 2006 12:58

Sunderland drew 0-0 at Old Trafford.

Lost 1-3 at home.

Fat_Septic

by Fat_Septic » 25 Sep 2006 15:07

Thought overall the team played extremely well - definitely looked like a Prem. side. But here's my thing: I am no Convey apologist in any sense of the word, but it does seem that the ball only goes right. Not that Seol isn't a dangerous man on attack, etc. But I thought one of the things that made Reading dangerous last season was their ability to work both flanks. I'd like to see more wide play on the left, regardless of who's playing out there.

From USA Televisionland, the support looked fantastic. The chanting and singing about burst my humble tv. Wife came out of the kitchen and said, What in the HELL are you watching? Sounds like a riot.

Shortbread

by Shortbread » 25 Sep 2006 15:14

Seems to me as though Convey is falling foul of the notion that 'you can't play two wingers in the Prem and not expect to get hammered.' So, Bobby's being used thus far mostly for his defensive qualities, with the attacking coming via Seol on the right. Given Bobby's speed, we break through him from opposition corners, for example, but I think it's unlikely that we'll see him as advanced as we did last season - at least, unless and until Seol learns a bit more of the need to support Murty in defence (and develops a bit more stamina). Also, on Saturday, United started with five across the midfield, meaning that one of our wide men had to tuck in and support the centre to stop us from being over-run - effectively, that's always going to be Convey rather than Seol.

It would be good to be able to break it up a bit more, and use the left as well as the right - but we were able to do that last year because Murty and Little had a good understanding and Little, eventually, got through some sterling defence work. I think Little would have been a good out ball in the final 20 minutes on Saturday - his technical ability might have allowed us to keep possession a bit more - but he's coming back from injury, he has to get pass Seol when he is fully fit - and we can only have five men on the bench, which is also limiting his opportunities (which is covered in another thread).

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 25 Sep 2006 15:20

Shortbread Seems to me as though Convey is falling foul of the notion that 'you can't play two wingers in the Prem and not expect to get hammered.' So, Bobby's being used thus far mostly for his defensive qualities, with the attacking coming via Seol on the right. Given Bobby's speed, we break through him from opposition corners, for example, but I think it's unlikely that we'll see him as advanced as we did last season - at least, unless and until Seol learns a bit more of the need to support Murty in defence (and develops a bit more stamina). Also, on Saturday, United started with five across the midfield, meaning that one of our wide men had to tuck in and support the centre to stop us from being over-run - effectively, that's always going to be Convey rather than Seol.

To be fair, Convey was defending a lot more than Seol because Ronaldo spent a lot of the game on the right (our left), whilst Richardson was pants.

Fat_Septic

by Fat_Septic » 25 Sep 2006 15:49

rabidbee whilst Richardson was pants.

One of my favorite colloquial English phrases!

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 25 Sep 2006 16:04

Talking of pants is seems logical that after the pants day we had when we were er pants that we really ought to balance the books in the spirit of fair play and to honour the lads pantfree performances (particularly at the madhouse)and have a no pants day before the summer grinds to an end.

Shortbread

by Shortbread » 25 Sep 2006 16:33

:lol: higher

Richardson was certainly pants rb but I thought that Ronaldo, while switching flanks, nevertheless spent most of his time towards our right. Certainly he spent much of the second half on the East Stand side of the pitch.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 25 Sep 2006 16:43

higher ...
the lads pantfree performances

Made me laugh anyway! :D

spike25

by spike25 » 25 Sep 2006 18:11

I think it's really unfair to blame Murty for Ronaldo's goal. There were several times when a midfielder came back to help out and the attack was stifled. On the goal, the rest of them just left Murty on an island with Ronaldo. Murty could either give him the endline or the middle, he pushed him to the middle hoping to find support, and didn't find any. The midfielders really let us down on the goal, not Murty as much, in my opinion.

And to me, Marcus really wasn't that sharp, I don't know how he's getting such high ratings from most of you. His defense saved him more than a couple times.