Is Marcus Overrated

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 09 Oct 2006 15:48

Rich@Eaststand
SpaceCruiser
Rich@Eaststand
Zammo Another pointless thread. The bloke rocks. 106 points last season with Marcus part of a mean back five. A superb start to our Prem campaign. How can they guy be rated any other than very good.

No one has said that he isn't good.

You did though.

Ahhhhhh - go and read it Spacey.

I've already read it. You criticised him in a few areas of his play. Seems to me that you don't like him.

bracknell loyal royal!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by bracknell loyal royal! » 09 Oct 2006 15:49

Didn't even know he was rated! He's underrated if anything!!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 09 Oct 2006 15:50

Spacey you can't make up stuff and say others said it :roll: . Rich has continually said that he thinks Marcus is a very good keeper, just not as good as some believe he is. That's fine we all have opinions on players.

Marcus has things to work on in his game but he's a solid enough keeper, he's not one of the best in the league but he's still more than good enough for us.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 09 Oct 2006 16:02

For me he is too slow to react at this level, from what I have seen so far in the goals we have conceeded he has been diving whilst the ball is going past him. His weight has always been a worry for me, we are in the 21st century now and the days of overweight goalkeepers that are able to rely on their instincts are now gone. We need some decent competition for him, if at the very least to keep him on his toes. Oh, and someone to sort out his goalkicks.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Oct 2006 16:09

Hahnemann has not looked his usual dominating self so far this season.

There are as far as I can tell two reasons for this.

A) The quality of the strikers he is facing has just leaped dramatically and he knows it. These people can score goals from the most unlikely situations and hit balls from anywhere. He has to be on his toes the entire time.

B) He is playing behind exactly the same defence as last year, against far superior strikers. He knows Ivar isn't big and dominating and isn't the quickest, and he knows Sonko makes a few mistakes. This means he is less sure of his defences ability to stop the chance from arriving or to block the shot.

Basicly what I'm saying is last season after about 10-15 games Marcus knew that we had a great defence that could cope with the strikers and that he could pull off great saves to stop anything that did come his way

This season he is far less aware of what is likely to be coming his way and when, and whether his defenders can keep the attackers under control.

Add that to masses more defending anyway and you have a keeper who is much less confident and therefore much less dominant. We haven't been great at keeping clean sheets either. Give it a few more games to get past this extra tough run and then I think you might see the whole team open up a bit and grow in confidence and poise. That is when we'll start to see the old Marcus again, if we do this season

HighburyRoyale

by HighburyRoyale » 09 Oct 2006 16:09

He's a great keeper. Trust me. I am one, I know.

This season though, he has had some problems with:
Distribution
Handling (esp v. Boro and United in the early stages of the games) and
Communicating with Sonko.

Of the 30 or so games I saw last season, Marcus was worth at least 10 points last season. He made a vital save in the last minutes at Sheff Ut and some other good stops against West Ham in very difficult conditions.

Stacky's also a good keeper but Marcus is far and away our number 1.

I think he will come good, but have to be honest in saying I have been nearly as disappointed with him as I have been impressed with Murts.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 09 Oct 2006 17:19

Ian Royal Hahnemann has not looked his usual dominating self so far this season.

There are as far as I can tell two reasons for this.

A) The quality of the strikers he is facing has just leaped dramatically and he knows it. These people can score goals from the most unlikely situations and hit balls from anywhere. He has to be on his toes the entire time.

B) He is playing behind exactly the same defence as last year, against far superior strikers. He knows Ivar isn't big and dominating and isn't the quickest, and he knows Sonko makes a few mistakes. This means he is less sure of his defences ability to stop the chance from arriving or to block the shot.

Basicly what I'm saying is last season after about 10-15 games Marcus knew that we had a great defence that could cope with the strikers and that he could pull off great saves to stop anything that did come his way

This season he is far less aware of what is likely to be coming his way and when, and whether his defenders can keep the attackers under control.

Add that to masses more defending anyway and you have a keeper who is much less confident and therefore much less dominant. We haven't been great at keeping clean sheets either. Give it a few more games to get past this extra tough run and then I think you might see the whole team open up a bit and grow in confidence and poise. That is when we'll start to see the old Marcus again, if we do this season

This post is such a load of nonsense!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Oct 2006 17:55

Constructive criticism at it's best.

care to expand on that so I can please you more with my next attempt.

Bucks Dave

by Bucks Dave » 09 Oct 2006 18:24

Interesting stat in the West Ham programme. Under a title "Premiership Top Stoppers" Hahnemann is second with 31 saves, Brad Friedel being top with 33. So he must be doing something right. In very treacherous conditions (and I should know as I was in row A and therefore about two feet below the pitch, drowning and right behind the goal) he stopped everything West Ham got on target, apart from Siddy's mastersave, and punched away a couple of crosses that were dangerous.

Noone is saying he is the best in the Division or rating him as a superman so I can't see how he is overrated as a Premiership goalie. He is simply one of our Championship players with no Premiership experience who is stepping up a class. I think he was fourth in line when he was at Fulham.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Is Marcus Overrated

by Royalee » 09 Oct 2006 18:30

Tinrib I cant be arsed to argue the toss anymore on this with Rich@Eaststand.

Rich thinks he is, I say thats bollocks.

Out to the wider audience.

Not as overrated as your ridiculous tinpot thread.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 09 Oct 2006 18:41

the whole team is great and people should just accept it.

:lol:

You criticised him in a few areas of his play. Seems to me that you don't like him.

Criticism and dislike are not necessarily the same thing, you do realise.

Actually, you don't.

As for Marcus, he's a good, solid keeper. He is a bit on the large side which seems to reduce the speed of his reactions and he has made one or two handling errors, of which, one has been punished.

To pretend, as Spacey appears to say, he is without fault is to proceed without thought.

I also agree with Ian Royal and Royalee

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 09 Oct 2006 19:08

Ian Royal Constructive criticism at it's best.

Sorry, I didn't have time to expand at the time.

Your explanation for his "supposedly" lesser form in the Prem is weak.

He has actually been really solid in the Premiership and is now looking as good as ever. Only Mark Schwarzer has made more saves than Hahnemann. How you can say he is looking dodgy because other teams are attacking us more is ridiculous. Hahnemann hasn't put a foot wrong this season apart from letting in Hulse's goal at the near post against the Blades which was a bit shoddy!

You were just stating a lot of flaff! No meat or fact. Just a load of nonsense!

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 09 Oct 2006 19:11

Hahnemann hasn't put a foot wrong this season apart from letting in Hulse's goal at the near post against the Blades which was a bit shoddy!

Arguably a spilled shot for Yakubu in the opening game which was punished and one unpunished against Manchester United.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 09 Oct 2006 19:12

I feel Marcus is a weak spot in the team, handling suspect, however saying that there are not going to be many we could get that would be any better, rumur was that James was coming pre season, I would not have wanted that signing.

Rather that Marcus worked hard on his weaknesses, and his old Porche

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 09 Oct 2006 20:44

Our fans are striving for perfection...........

When you see some of the errors the costly Jose Reina has made for Liverpool and some of the many mistakes David James has made during his top flight career, it is a bit unfair to knock Hahnemann.

Its not easy being a goalkeeper in the Prem when the ball comes fizzing in at you at a million miles per hour. You can't knock a keeper for spilling the odd pile driver every now and then when it comes soaring in at you like a cruise missile!

I think Hahnemann has done very well. I'm not gonna knock him.

He probably saw the Boro free kick late and Yakubu pounced really fast. We were barely adjusting to the Prem at that stage! I think Marcus is a damn fine keeper!

PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL

by PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL » 09 Oct 2006 20:55

defiantly not over-rated, where would we be without Mr USA between the sticks

Amongst the sheep

by Amongst the sheep » 10 Oct 2006 07:57

No he is not over rated. His ability to stop shots is good but we will be punished more this season for spills. Middlesborough game showed that although we got away with it at West Ham. He does however command his back 4 well (usually) and keeps our defence strong. Is he better than Shaka yes I think he probably is.

Tinrib

Re: Is Marcus Overrated

by Tinrib » 10 Oct 2006 09:15

Royalee
Tinrib I cant be arsed to argue the toss anymore on this with Rich@Eaststand.

Rich thinks he is, I say thats bollocks.

Out to the wider audience.

Not as overrated as your ridiculous tinpot thread.

I like you. You're my favourite.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 10 Oct 2006 19:17

Much as I cannot stand anyone who hads the audacity to proudly wear a USA tattoo I have to say he's a great keeper.

The keeper/defence is one unit.

Our unit has been one of the most impressive in English football recently. Technically you may have opinions about him not being as good as Shaka in certain areas btu he's an integral and very important part of this defensive unit - the one who organises it and gives it confidence etc etc.
Even if Shaka was better would he be able to gel with the defence so effectively?

Whilst we remain to have one of the best defences in the country, good ol' Marcus can never be overrated.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Oct 2006 22:06

Top Flight
Ian Royal Constructive criticism at it's best.

Sorry, I didn't have time to expand at the time.

Your explanation for his "supposedly" lesser form in the Prem is weak.

He has actually been really solid in the Premiership and is now looking as good as ever. Only Mark Schwarzer has made more saves than Hahnemann. How you can say he is looking dodgy because other teams are attacking us more is ridiculous. Hahnemann hasn't put a foot wrong this season apart from letting in Hulse's goal at the near post against the Blades which was a bit shoddy!

You were just stating a lot of flaff! No meat or fact. Just a load of nonsense!

I was stating opinion based on my observations of what I have seen and heard of the games and what I have read on here.

If you can only see one mistake in Hulse's gal then you havn't been watching very hard. Hahnemann has missed or fluffed several saves/crosess I would expect him to make in a number of games. His kicking has also been far weaker than last year.

I am saying he is less confident in whether his abilities and the defences abilities are capable of coping with the superior attacking in the premiership, given it is far and away better than the majority of the championship.

This leads to less confidence, and more hesitance which leads to mistakes. He's playing well within himself at the moment, though admittedly I haven't sen the West Ham game.

Sounds perfectly sensible and realistic to me. Just because I haven't typed a load of spurious bollocks and followed it with "FACT" doesn't make it worthless or "flaff", whatever the hell that is.