Back from the game

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 30 Dec 2006 23:35

first goal just onside I thought, 3rd goal about a foot offside, with Drogba,s 2nd goal on Tuesday these marginal decisions could cost us in the long run

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo

by readingfc_4_life_and_beyo » 31 Dec 2006 01:54

Chaney first goal just onside I thought, 3rd goal about a foot offside, with Drogba,s 2nd goal on Tuesday these marginal decisions could cost us in the long run

But luck evens itself out over a season. Keep our heads up.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 31 Dec 2006 02:18

Fantastic stadium, and a fantastic game of football between 2 sides that both played the game the way it was meant to be played.

Hugely impressed by Man Utd officials before, during and after the game - showed us a lot of respect and best wishes, and were genuinely complimentary about the team and our support.

Very unimpressed with the nearside lino in the first half; NEVER seemed to be up with play and the first goal was marginally offisde I agree - the marginality in question being was it 6 inches or a foot? The third was only clearly offside from TV replays - even Ronaldo looked twice toward the lino before celebrating, cos he clearly thought he was offside!!

As for the red card, very, very harsh - I hope the club appeal.

As for the play, Ronaldo was the biggest difference between the 2 sides, tho Giggs' introduction at half time was a major influence in us being totally outplayed in the second half (apart from the last 5 minutes when they seemed to overly panic after Lita's goal); we played some good stuff today and matched Man Utd for the first half; no-one was outstanding for us, just a solid team performance.

Looking forward to going back next season!

anR

Re: Back from the game

by anR » 31 Dec 2006 02:27

Y25 Fantastic stadium

I disagree. Do the have such an enormous capacity because of the awful leg room given to each spectator? Fantastic match, crap result and awfully uncomfortable...

pooandwee

by pooandwee » 31 Dec 2006 02:29

All this crap of daylight for the 2 offside goals angers me. what a load of gonads

Diddyroyal

by Diddyroyal » 31 Dec 2006 08:08

was it just me or did there seem to be more than 1900 Reading fans there?
Other than that- good match, nice stadium, cheap parking, usual quiet home fans( as has been at most grounds) and the usual Mancy traffic on the way home!

Woking Royal

by Woking Royal » 31 Dec 2006 08:39

We parked at Altrincham for free and got on a 15 min metro ride to Old Trafford. 5 stops. £2.80 return!! And no queue or wait to speak of.

Took a risk by going all the way there with no ticket ......... and 10 mins before the KO still had not seen so much as a sniff of any for sale.

I then just asked a couple of likely lads, who had one season ticket book/stub for £25 that turned out to be legit!!

Traffic was OK.

The game was superb. Shorey was class & I thought Sidwell ran his socks off as ever. If we could have improved some of our distribution out of defence without giving the ball back so easily, we would have saved a good deal of pressure. But that is not a moan. All round 5* performances.

As for the level of support??

The Reading fans seemed quite quiet to me from where I was sitting amongst the Manc. So the fact that it was reciprocal does not surprise me. I think the acoustics may have much to do with it. The Mancs were loud round me!

Two other likely lads selling ice cold Buds for £1 (£2.70 in the concourse) in the toilet at half time from a cardboard box :lol:

Classic day out & well worth the 420 miles round trip with no ticket!

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 31 Dec 2006 08:59

Back from the game threads are great when people talk about the fecking game, now hijacked by those who want us to know they went, ty for the insight Mr A, hope the hotel was ok and not kept awake by the snoring Tanswells :wink:

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 31 Dec 2006 09:08

Despite having been to Old Trafford lots of times, it was great seeing our team there and thought we done ourselves proud.

Can't believe 1 Reading fan of a prick accused me of being a Man Utd fan when I suggested that Solksjaer's goal was onside having been told so by someone watching on the TV and the fact none of the players appealed for it.

Russell Street

by Russell Street » 31 Dec 2006 09:17

Theatre of Dreams? My arse.....

Sitting with the home fans (who I could hear being quite complimentary about us) - no leg room at all and the roof had a hole in which, on a rainy day meant a very soggy head. Oh and they don't have a decent TV screen like us!

From where I was, our support made a good noise - well done. It looked good fun over there.

MOTD didn't show how close we came to equalising at the end of the game, but the Man Ure fans were becoming increasing frustrated and angry around us as the last couple of minutes ticked on. That was difficult to sit through and look like a convincing Man U fan, so I just spoke in my southern accent and they all realised I was a true Manc.

It took ages to get in and out of the city and the traffic was appalling both ways - presumably as all the home fans were travelling down south too.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 31 Dec 2006 09:21

Agreed their fans were poor though a lot of them did make for an impressive sight when they scored. The football when the Ref allowed was of a superior quality to the stuff they're peddling down at the Bridge.

See Sidwell standing on the centre sport for about 5 minutes on his own before the game after all the other players whent back into the dressing room.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 31 Dec 2006 09:23

I still think the first and third were offside, I can't understand how you can send off a player for tugging the shirt of someone who was clearly offside also and had been flagged as being offside. The ref and nearside lino were woeful, a fact I sent to BBC Berks and 5 Live - they didn't read out the 5 live one as Alan Green probably refused to, I dunno about Berks obviously.

Whoever the season ticket holders were who gave their tickets to 4 man utd fans sitting in the south stand, may I say, I hope you get your season tickets revoked and I'm glad the 4 man utd fans got thrown out. There were loads of desperate, deserving Reading fans who would have loved those tickets. :twisted:

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 31 Dec 2006 09:26

Russell Street presumably as all the home fans were travelling down south too.

We followed a Man Utd supporters coach all the way to the A34 :lol:

Royal Monk

by Royal Monk » 31 Dec 2006 10:11

We laughed at how many Man Utd supporters were in the services just north of Birmingham :lol:

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 31 Dec 2006 10:14

It's bad enough people giving home tickets to away fans but there are 20,000 of those. To sell some of the 3,000 odd away allocation to United fans is disgraceful and a kick in the teeth to 1,000's of Reading fans who were desperate to go.

royals pete

by royals pete » 31 Dec 2006 10:49

Probably have to give benefit of doubt to Manu on the offsides having done slomo on MOTD pics,.

BUT THE SENDING OFF !!!!!!! Still can't see any sense in that. Was ref trying for applause from the crowd ?/

Why isn't he allowed to explain himself. I see last weeks ref turned up om MOTD last night to tell us he was too wet at Vic Road and had to abandon. He didn't explain why he failed to whistle the foul on Seol last week !!

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 31 Dec 2006 10:50

Perhaps they were offered a lot of money and could not turn it down, or perhaps they are also RFC fans, shame it happened, but as has been said so often, RFC fans are happy to take home seats when necessary.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 31 Dec 2006 11:02

The 17 Bus Perhaps they were offered a lot of money and could not turn it down, or perhaps they are also RFC fans, shame it happened, but as has been said so often, RFC fans are happy to take home seats when necessary.

There is a world of difference between getting a ticket (often otherwise unused) in the home end, and taking up a ticket in the small, vastly oversubscribed, away allocation.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 31 Dec 2006 11:07

I would guess there might have been more Reading fans in the home stands than Man U fans in the away stand, Russell St for one.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 31 Dec 2006 11:11

The 17 Bus I would guess there might have been more Reading fans in the home stands than Man U fans in the away stand, Russell St for one.
:roll: Maybe because they couldn't get a seat in the AWAY end, where some idiots had sold their AWAY tickets to HOME fans.