Hunt

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Jan 2007 13:18

readingbedding
Yorkshire Royal Negativity. I think it's safe to say we all love Hunt. But anyone who claims he is a 'talented footballer' clearly has been drinking...

He's better than most of the footballers that play in this stupid country.

He's not an International though.

Talented, yes.

Didn't he get a call up for the last Irish B squad? If so, he's not that far away.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 04 Jan 2007 13:23

RoyalBlue
readingbedding
Yorkshire Royal Negativity. I think it's safe to say we all love Hunt. But anyone who claims he is a 'talented footballer' clearly has been drinking...

He's better than most of the footballers that play in this stupid country.

He's not an International though.

Talented, yes.

Didn't he get a call up for the last Irish B squad? If so, he's not that far away.

Yeah, he's not far.
He just needs a bit more consistancy, a bit more composure and thought and he'll get an Irish National call up.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Jan 2007 13:44

I like Hunt. I think he's under-rated by many.

Whatever, the improvement in him in the last 18 months has been considerable - I think there's plenty more to come, personally. He gets in some great positions and as RB suggests, greater composure in front of goal and he could have bagged a few by now, so that's number one priority for me.

BarryWhiteRFC

by BarryWhiteRFC » 04 Jan 2007 14:02

Hunt, Hunt whever you may be, we don't care where you land your knee, it could be Cech or Cudicini, you should of bought a 3rd goalie!

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 04 Jan 2007 14:04

I think some people need to realise that players manage to play well above their actual level in the first season of the Premiership. This can be down to the quality of opposition placed in front of them etc. I believe that this applies to Hunt so far this season, of course, the step up can also have a negative effect where players that seemed more than capable of handling this level fail to perform. I would say Convey slots into this category currently.

Pele_Kitson

by Pele_Kitson » 04 Jan 2007 15:32

Bit harsh on Convey as he hasn't been fully fit this season

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Jan 2007 15:32

Huntley & Palmer I think some people need to realise that players manage to play well above their actual level in the first season of the Premiership. This can be down to the quality of opposition placed in front of them etc.

So, can I just clarify this?

You are saying that, in their first season in the Premiership, some players appear to be a lot better than they really are because they play better than they are really capable of when faced with players who are, in reality, much better than them?

Hmm, that's logical. :?

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 04 Jan 2007 15:49

Huntley & Palmer I think some people need to realise that players manage to play well above their actual level in the first season of the Premiership. This can be down to the quality of opposition placed in front of them etc. I believe that this applies to Hunt so far this season, of course, the step up can also have a negative effect where players that seemed more than capable of handling this level fail to perform. I would say Convey slots into this category currently.

All that matters is how you're playing NOW, not last week, year etc, etc.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Jan 2007 15:52

Royal Rother
Huntley & Palmer I think some people need to realise that players manage to play well above their actual level in the first season of the Premiership. This can be down to the quality of opposition placed in front of them etc.

So, can I just clarify this?

You are saying that, in their first season in the Premiership, some players appear to be a lot better than they really are because they play better than they are really capable of when faced with players who are, in reality, much better than them?

Hmm, that's logical. :?

I think he meant that some players raise their game's in the first season as it is a fresh challenge and they want to prove themselves against the best. In the second season, they don't have the same impact or level of performance as a result.

Whether Hunt or any of our players fall in to this category, only time will tell.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 04 Jan 2007 16:20

Huntley & Palmer I think some people need to realise that players manage to play well above their actual level in the first season of the Premiership. This can be down to the quality of opposition placed in front of them etc. I believe that this applies to Hunt so far this season, of course, the step up can also have a negative effect where players that seemed more than capable of handling this level fail to perform. I would say Convey slots into this category currently.

So basically some players play well and some players don't.

A great insight.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 04 Jan 2007 16:26

Amongst all these megastars it is hugrly refreshing (and a huge testament to their improvement) that the majority of the Reading squad have played in League One or below in not too distant times.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 04 Jan 2007 16:38

cmonurz Amongst all these megastars it is hugrly refreshing (and a huge testament to their improvement) that the majority of the Reading squad have played in League One or below in not too distant times.

Of our first ever Premiership XVI,

Reading: Hahnemann ,Murty ,Shorey ,Ingimarsson ,Sonko ,Sidwell ,Harper ,Convey (Hunt ,83 ) ,Ki-Hyeon (Gunnarsson ,83 ) ,Doyle ,Kitson (Lita ,45)
Subs not used: Stack,Oster,

Only one had played any Premiership football ... five had played in all four professional divisions and pretty much everyone else had played in the top three.

That is impressive and I think the first fact has to be a Premiership 1st (given old 1st and Premiership are the same)

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 04 Jan 2007 16:45

Im really surprised that Hunt as recieved so much critisim!

He's probably my favourite player, along with the others showing why Reading FC is so different from other club, hes modest, down to earth with a real hunger and desire. Hes reliable and solid and commited.

Fully deserves the contract and im really happy that hes staying with us, Irish full international on the horizon!

irishroyal81

by irishroyal81 » 04 Jan 2007 16:47

The thing with the premier league is that there is only a handful of excellent teams in there. The rest of the teams are an average enough quality (blackburn, aston villa, charlton, west ham) and hunt has proven himself adequate enough to battle against them. He isnt going to be in Man Utds team this time next year, but he will be good enough to battle against the second tier of teams in the league.

Also convey has only proved himself as an excellent championship player and has done nothing in the premier league. Hunt also has many battling qualities that convey does not possess which against some of the better teams, reading will need to "battle". Also the premier league is one of the hardest leagues to get up to pace with so how Conveys injury affects him remains to be seen.

I think Hunt absolutely deserves his new contract. He is a good role model for the club. He has been through a lot with the cech incident and still produced decent performances when the spot light has been on him. He was immense on Monday (the tracking back run on reo cocker was A1) and as things stand we cant afford to leave him go.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 04 Jan 2007 16:51

Maguire

So basically some players play well and some players don't.

A great insight.

Just call me Alan Brazil

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 04 Jan 2007 17:05

irishroyal81 The thing with the premier league is that there is only a handful of excellent teams in there. The rest of the teams are an average enough quality (blackburn, aston villa, charlton, west ham) and hunt has proven himself adequate enough to battle against them. He isnt going to be in Man Utds team this time next year, but he will be good enough to battle against the second tier of teams in the league.

Also convey has only proved himself as an excellent championship player and has done nothing in the premier league. Hunt also has many battling qualities that convey does not possess which against some of the better teams, reading will need to "battle". Also the premier league is one of the hardest leagues to get up to pace with so how Conveys injury affects him remains to be seen.

I think Hunt absolutely deserves his new contract. He is a good role model for the club. He has been through a lot with the cech incident and still produced decent performances when the spot light has been on him. He was immense on Monday (the tracking back run on reo cocker was A1) and as things stand we cant afford to leave him go.

Just because your pro-hunt, does not mean that you have to be anti-convey.
Bobby deserves his chance when fully fit, but Hunt will have to degrade for Convey to get a look in.
More signs of a competative squad.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Jan 2007 17:56

readingbedding
irishroyal81 The thing with the premier league is that there is only a handful of excellent teams in there. The rest of the teams are an average enough quality (blackburn, aston villa, charlton, west ham) and hunt has proven himself adequate enough to battle against them. He isnt going to be in Man Utds team this time next year, but he will be good enough to battle against the second tier of teams in the league.

Just because your pro-hunt, does not mean that you have to be anti-convey.
Bobby deserves his chance when fully fit, but Hunt will have to degrade for Convey to get a look in.
More signs of a competative squad.

And IMHO, as soon as a fit Convey has a couple of run outs he will return to the left hand side in place of Hunt. I personally believe that Hunt would have been dropped by now if we'd had a fit left sided alternative rather than an excess of fit right wingers.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Jan 2007 19:04

Stranded And IMHO, as soon as a fit Convey has a couple of run outs he will return to the left hand side in place of Hunt.

If he performs better than Hunt in several substitute appearances then of course he will, but, injuries aside, he won't walk back in after a couple of run-of-the-mill run-outs.

lozz2601

by lozz2601 » 04 Jan 2007 19:16

I have praise for any player who puts 100% effort in.
Hunt is not a technically skilful player. But he's a nuisance. He gets under players feet and will work and work to get the ball.
I'd rather a hard-working, 7/10 player who will put his all in than a lazy 9/10 player who doesn't and can't be bothered.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 04 Jan 2007 19:25

Huntley & Palmer Just call me Alan Brazil

As you wish :wink: