Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 08 Jan 2007 10:49

Platypuss
Mr Angry
SpaceCruiser
weybridgewanderer DE La cruz will not play

DE la cruz will never kick a ball for reading again

How do you know? Are you the Reading manager?

I think weybridgewanderer is correct.

But for the rain, that prediction would have proven to be bollox.
Sack your sources!

Even you would have guessed that this FA Cup game is a reserves match in all but name Platypuss.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 08 Jan 2007 10:55

Platypuss
tink the top four will all be going for the cup, and on their day, we can't beat any of them.

Well, three of them might be.

"and on their day, we can't beat any of them"

Err, we have drawn against Man U and Chelsea so far this season. Don't you mean that on our day, in a one off game, we can beat anyone?

oldelmparky

by oldelmparky » 08 Jan 2007 11:41

tink I have no problems with SC's decision.

it'll be good experience for some of the younger/fringe players to get out and get some competitive minutes under their belts (lets face it, they dont get the same sort of test in the reserve league)...

...and if the reserves do well and start to progress, give em a chance. if they get to the final, they've earned it, and i think it would shatter their confidence in the club and their manager if after all their hard work, they were dropped in favour of the first team regulars, who get a cup final every week at old trafford, the bridge, the emirates, the lane etc...

If they get dropped for the final then maybe it'll be because they have become the first team regulars!

tink

by tink » 08 Jan 2007 13:59

Huntley & Palmer
Platypuss
tink the top four will all be going for the cup, and on their day, we can't beat any of them.

Well, three of them might be.

"and on their day, we can't beat any of them"

Err, we have drawn against Man U and Chelsea so far this season. Don't you mean that on our day, in a one off game, we can beat anyone?

no i think it works both ways - realistically, if chelsea/man u are playing at the top of their game, we wouldnt stand a chance in hell.

conersely, if we were playing at the top of our game, and they had an off day, we might stand a chance.

in the fa cup tho i think those teams are gonna be up for it, and it would be very difficult for us to compete with them, even if all 11 lads played a blinder.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 08 Jan 2007 15:16

So what is the opinion of Coppell's selections now the draw has been made?

Beforehand I could see the arguement to field a strong team against Burnley if we had been drawn against one of the big boys in the next round - great revenue for the club and insentive to win the game.

I could see the arguement to field a strong team against Burnley if we were draw against a lower league team next round - there would be a greater chance of progression to the 5th round and beyond.

Having got neither of those type draws I believe, even more strongly that Coppell has got it about right with his team for Burnley as they should be capable enough to do the job and a trip to St James may well be beyond us next round anyhow without the joy off a good day out to one of the big boys.

You also have to factor in the fact that if we did field a first team against Burnley it gives them 3 days less to be prepared for Everton on Sunday who will be reeling from the embarrasment of the defeat to Blackburn and will be gunning to get their fans back on their side.

Spirit of Elm Park

by Spirit of Elm Park » 08 Jan 2007 15:28

londinium So what is the opinion of Coppell's selections now the draw has been made?

Beforehand I could see the arguement to field a strong team against Burnley if we had been drawn against one of the big boys in the next round - great revenue for the club and insentive to win the game.

I could see the arguement to field a strong team against Burnley if we were draw against a lower league team next round - there would be a greater chance of progression to the 5th round and beyond.

Having got neither of those type draws I believe, even more strongly that Coppell has got it about right with his team for Burnley as they should be capable enough to do the job and a trip to St James may well be beyond us next round anyhow without the joy off a good day out to one of the big boys.

You also have to factor in the fact that if we did field a first team against Burnley it gives them 3 days less to be prepared for Everton on Sunday who will be reeling from the embarrasment of the defeat to Blackburn and will be gunning to get their fans back on their side.

....and factor in a 50% share of receipts on a 54k crowd.

oldelmparky

by oldelmparky » 08 Jan 2007 15:44

If the reservers get through tomorrow it will give them a chance to get their own back against Birmingham for putting our reserves out last year (assuming they beat NUFC in the replay) or if not, for us to show that our reserves can win at St James without Styles on their side.
But having said that we've got to get past Burnley & Styles tomorrow.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Jan 2007 16:10

It's not nie that the strongest sied isn't put out. But I agree with Coppell, we need to give the fringe players the chance to make an impact, we need to see if they are good enough to make the step up to the league should it be required.

Our reserves have proved themselves as a good team over the years, pushing two prem clubs all the way last year in 4 games. We have a decent chance of progressing through the next couple of rounds without the first team and the experience will do the players good.

Row V
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Welcome to NJ, where the weak are killed and eaten.

by Row V » 08 Jan 2007 17:15

alad
Row V Speaks the ManUre supporter.

Can you simultaneously fish and watch utd on TV from your house?

Cheap, predictable and wrong, which just about sums you up.

Aaargh, I've been put down by alad, oh, the shame of it!

Joe

by Joe » 10 Jan 2007 11:31

from http://www.premierleague.com/
thought this might be of intrest!

Reading manager Steve Coppell has admitted he is unlikely to make so many changes in the next round after his side were almost taken to an FA Cup replay by Burnley.

In the end, the Royals squeezed home 3-2 in their re-arranged third-round tie at home to the Clarets, who came back from 3-0 down before running out of time.

TUESDAY'S FA CUP THIRD-ROUND REVIEW

Coppell picked just two players who are assured of starts at Everton on Sunday as he opted to give youngsters and little-used fringe players a run-out.

Reading will travel to either Birmingham or Newcastle United in the fourth round and Coppell admitted he was unlikely to make so many wholesale changes for that game.

SATURDAY'S FA CUP THIRD-ROUND REVIEW

He said: “In the next round it’s a Saturday game so it is not as if we are squeezing in an extra fixture that we can’t cope with. I haven’t thought about it too much but I will probably have a little more strength in there.â€

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 14 Jan 2007 13:47

Mr Angry
Platypuss
Mr Angry
SpaceCruiser
weybridgewanderer DE La cruz will not play

DE la cruz will never kick a ball for reading again

How do you know? Are you the Reading manager?

I think weybridgewanderer is correct.

But for the rain, that prediction would have proven to be bollox.
Sack your sources!

Even you would have guessed that this FA Cup game is a reserves match in all but name Platypuss.

What's today's excuse? :wink:

251 posts