Federici debut

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

Federici debut

by Top Flight » 10 Jan 2007 00:31

I think Federici played well, he had a good debut............

He made a number of outstanding saves.........

However, he was at fault for both Burnley goals. He was indecisive and started coming out to narrow Akinbyi's angle for a shot before retreating to make it easy for Panicbuyi to lob him! Very indecisive there.

For the second goal, he came and flapped at the cross. Looked very unsure of himself, wasn't decisive again in coming for the ball and fumbled around allowing an easy goal for Burnley once more.

I feel bad giving the lad any sort of criticism because at the end of the day, we won the game. He made a number of outstanding stops. He otherwise looked accomplished and of course it was his first team debut.

Overall, well done Federici............ Good debut but there is room for improvement. You will have to be more decisive and more confident coming for crosses from corners if you are gonna jostle with Hahnemann. You can't afford to be letting in easy goals in the Prem son.

Redroyal

by Redroyal » 10 Jan 2007 01:24

I don't know how you can criticise him for either.Sure for the second one I can't remember exact;y what happened but I remember it was a shot frmo distance after he had made a save. The second was Sodje's fault entireley. He stopped tracking Panickbuyi back. The wheel maker was already coming out to collect the back header he should have received, but thanks to Sodge thinking it would reach Federici anyway he stopped. Definietel;y not the keeper's fault!!

knobby_1871

by knobby_1871 » 10 Jan 2007 01:57

MOTM in my opinion, made some outstanding saves and distribution to defenders (rather than big hoof was refreshing), couldnot do a lot about either goal

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Jan 2007 08:20

I'm sure Federici himself won't be happy with his punch, which did set up their second goal.

However, if he was already at a level where he could produce brilliant saves throughout a match (as he did last night) and not make any mistakes, it would be Marcus who was getting splinters from the bench. Incidentally Marcus isn't immune to a few dodgy punches/flaps either!

A very promising start, which goes a long way towards explaining why we let Jamie Young go and sent Stack out on loan. Could well be a star in the making.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 10 Jan 2007 08:21

I thought Fed had a cracking debut, but he did make a couple of mistakes for their goals, happily they were inconsequential so no harm no foul and he won't have his confidence knocked at all.

Jimpanzee

by Jimpanzee » 10 Jan 2007 08:30

Great debut...IMHO the only two mistakes he potentially made were the ones which lead to the goals. He's young...he'll learn. Cracking save from Panicbuyi's header 8)

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Jan 2007 08:56

Superb debut. Can't really blame him for the first as Sodje let Akinbiyi go when he should have headed it back to him. His positioning should that was what he was expecting.

Weak punch for the 2nd but encouraging overall and he can only get better.

Don Finch

by Don Finch » 10 Jan 2007 09:02

Great debut with 2 or 3 world class saves. As for the two goals, yes he could have been more decisive but I think the shoddy defending was more to blame, esp. the first goal. It could have been a different game had Akinbiyi's header gone in.

Either Long or Federici for MOTM in my opinion.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 10 Jan 2007 09:10

I said at half time "Would Hahnemann had saved Akinbiyi's header in the first half?" The only answer was no, Federici has more athleticism in his little toe than Marcus has.

Yes he made a couple of errors, nothing worse than Marcus has done this season.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 10 Jan 2007 09:21

Unfortunately goal keepers are judged more on how few mistakes they make, rather than how good a shot stopper he is.

Personally his debut worried me and only backs up the point of view that we need another keeper.

Jimpanzee

by Jimpanzee » 10 Jan 2007 09:22

Scarface Unfortunately goal keepers are judged more on how few mistakes they make, rather than how good a shot stopper he is.

Personally his debut worried me and only backs up the point of view that we need another keeper.

You were at the game at the Mad Stad last night? :?

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 10 Jan 2007 09:26

Jimpanzee
Scarface Unfortunately goal keepers are judged more on how few mistakes they make, rather than how good a shot stopper he is.

You were at the game at the Mad Stad last night? :?

He was at fault for both goals, you watch them back on Sky.

Royal Fleet

by Royal Fleet » 10 Jan 2007 09:27

It could be argued that Fed made one save that Marcus wouldn't have made, but the Fed also made two mistakes which led to goals which MH wouldn't have made. That said MH is match sharp and the Fed isn't.

Overall promising debut, and he is certainly good enough cover for MH, but I think we will need another keeper either in the Window or the summer.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 10 Jan 2007 09:28

This is the Marcus that flapped at Lampard's cross against Chelsea and was out of position for Solskjaer's goal at OT?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 10 Jan 2007 09:33

we had already taken our foot off when they scored and ivar had gone for the second, considering th einexperience of the back four he playedf behind, think he did ruddy marvelously

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 10 Jan 2007 09:34

Huntley & Palmer This is the Marcus that flapped at Lampard's cross against Chelsea and was out of position for Solskjaer's goal at OT?

H&P, are you saying you actually think Fed is better than Marcus?

Just asking, because I know some have had some 'issues' with Marcus this season...

Spirit of Elm Park

by Spirit of Elm Park » 10 Jan 2007 09:40

Huntley & Palmer This is the Marcus that flapped at Lampard's cross against Chelsea and was out of position for Solskjaer's goal at OT?

Quality examples, and a good comparison against Burnley :roll:

Promising 1st reflex save by the lad, made me think we could be onto one here. After all, he could have been picking the ball out of the net without touching it.

After that showed moments of class, but overall impression was that he has a long way to go, and, most importantly IMO, he is too small.

People suggesting he was MOM are getting a bit carried away IMO. For me that went to Oster, the only player in contention for a 1st team place who actually raised his game on the night. He stood out as the class act on the pitch.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 10 Jan 2007 09:44

What I am saying is that on last night's performance we have a goalkeeper that is not too far off of the finished article, yet he is written off as usual by Reading fans. It's a point that just sticks in the throat with me, and not just with Federici. No-one seems willing to give anyone a chance.

Marcus has been poor this season for me, his reactions and positioning have been questionable a lot of the time. I just don't think he is as good as some people make out.

The standard of the opposition is irrelevant. If your positioning is poor and you concede a goal then it doesn't matter who it is.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Jan 2007 09:53

A couple of errors that led to goals which isn't a great start. Even though Sodje stitched him up for the first he should've still come out and cleared the danger.

On a positive note though he made three excellent saves. The type of save that I've criticised Stack for not making. If those attempts had gone in many would look at the goal and say there's nothing a keeper can do to stop them, but week in week out keepers make saves that stop "unstopable" shots.

He'll need to cut out the errors if he wants to make a real go of it, but looks a decent enough prospect.

Magnus

by Magnus » 10 Jan 2007 09:54

Whilst I wasn't at the match, I heard it was a wheely good performance.