The Match

Everton V Reading
FA Barclaycard Premiership
Sunday 14 January 2006
Kick Off 1:45pm

The Ref

To be confirmed

Current League Positions

Reading are currently 9th in the Barclaycard Premiership with 30 points from 22 games.
Everton are currently 8th in the Barclaycard Premiership with 31 points from 22 games.

League Form

Reading won their first game of 2007 6-0 against West Ham United to record their first win since 2nd December, their first 3 point haul for 6 games.
Everton’s last league match was a 2-1 defeat at Manchester City. Since their 2-0 win at the Madejski, Everton have picked up 4 points from 3 games with a goalless draw against Middlesbrough and a 3-0 home win over Newcastle.

Latest Squad News

Dave Kitson and Bobby Convey are expected to be at least on the bench for Everton after Convey’s expected start against Burnley and Kitson’s substitute role. Graeme Murty is still struggling with a groin injury but could be back in time for Sunday. The only other major doubt is Ibrahima Sonko who limped off against West Ham United with a hip injury.
News in the Everton camp is that Mikel Arteta is suspended for the visit of Reading. Tim Cahill is hoping to be back after his knee injury but isn’t certain. Nuno Valente is also injured with a knee problem and will not play a part.

History

Everton were founded as St. Domingo F.C. in 1878 in order that people from the parish of St. Domingo Methodist Church could play a sport outside of the summer months (during which time cricket was played). A year later the club were renamed Everton F.C. after the surrounding area, as people outside the parish wished to participate. They were founder members of the Football League in 1888, and won their first League Championship title in 1890–91.

More recently David Moyes has been their manager after being appointed in 2002 following the dismissal of current Scotland boss Walter Smith, and under his stewardship Everton have finished seventh, eventeenth, fourth (their highest ever Premiership finish) and eleventh in his 4 full seasons in charge.

The club rarely used to incorporate a badge of any description on its shirts. An interwoven "EFC" design was adopted between 1922 and 1930 before the club reverted to plain royal blue shirts, until 1973 when bold "EFC" lettering was added. The crest designed by Kelly was first used on the team's shirts in 1980 and has remained there ever since, undergoing gradual change to become the version used today.

Everton's most widely recognised nickname is "The Toffees" or "The Toffeemen", which came about after Everton had moved to Goodison. There are several explanations for how this name came to be adopted, the most well known being that there was a business near the ground called Mother Noblett's Toffee Shop which advertised and sold sweets, including the Everton Mint, on match days. This also led to the Toffee Lady tradition in which a girl walks around the perimeter of the pitch before the start of a game tossing free Everton Mints into the crowd.

The current stadium is Goodison Park which has a capacity of 40,569. This has been Everton's home since 1892 after the club moved across Stanley Park from Anfield following a rent disagreement. Liverpool FC was formed as a result of the disagreement, and it is that club who now play thier games at Anfield.

Famous Fans

A comprehensive list of famous fans (rumoured or confirmed) can be found at http://www.toffeeweb.com/fans/celebrities.asp

Trivia

Welsh Goalkeeper Neville Southall is Everton’s all time appearance holder with a staggering 750 appearances. Of the current players, leading appearance maker David Weir has some way to go to beat that record as he stands on 221!

Everton also boast the Premier League’s youngest goalscorer in James Vaughan who scored his first senior Everton goal in a home victory against Crystal Palace on 10 April 2005. His age at the time was 16 years, 271 days, beating Leeds United’s James Milner by 86 days.

Match Odds

Odds on Bet365 are as follows:
Home win Evs
Away win 12/5
Draw 9/4

Fans Views

Back to Toffeeweb to get the same fans views, the results of which are here. A couple of Evertonian responses required responses from myself, and I hope I’ve given the best description possible. Unfortunately only a couple of replies to the questions I posed, but the thread turned into a good debate.

Royal Fleet

by Royal Fleet » 09 Jan 2007 08:08

Good preview - thanks for that.

I am not hopeful that we will get anything at goodison, although the absence of Arteta is good news, he was excellent at our place, and even if Cahill is back it is his first game for a while so hopefully he will be a bit rusty.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 09 Jan 2007 09:00

And after their stuffing in the cup last week they'll be up for putting things right....

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 10 Jan 2007 13:40

Stallone going to watch the Royals.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 10 Jan 2007 17:54

That sounds like a pretty good forum Handbags, and your responses were fine (IMHO).

For the record, I don't think AJ dives; I think he wins penalties.

No Hoops
Hob Nob Regular

by No Hoops » 11 Jan 2007 16:55

1-1 would do me. Although it will be tough. AJ was by far their best player at the Mad so if we can try and keep him quiet we have a chance.

Unfortunately I have done my back in so can't go I have two spare tickets for sale in the Classified section.

Feeble excuss to get tickets on main pages I know.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 11 Jan 2007 17:13

Hey handbags, you should have asked them whether they thought we should have had a penalty when Seol was tripped in the box while we were 1-0 down.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 11 Jan 2007 17:36

Spacey, I covered that in another thread for our last game against them. It was all done in the Match Review. For the record, they generally thought that it WAS a penalty, although one said it was clearly OUTSIDE the box (needs his eyes checked methinks!).

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 11 Jan 2007 17:38

Ok, cool.

nivek elyod

by nivek elyod » 11 Jan 2007 17:59

Some Everton fan However, if there’s one game I’d want him to miss through suspension, it would be a game against a newly promoted side at Goodison...

You can hardly consider us newly promoted now, can you? 6 months and we're playing better than sides that have been in the top flight for years...

2 Pints and a packet of c

by 2 Pints and a packet of c » 12 Jan 2007 11:57

Intersting stat from the BBC website:-

The 60 goals on show in 22 outings, makes the Royals the joint second best team to watch in the Premiership as far as goals-per-game are concerned. Manchester United lead the way with an aggregate of 64 (49 for and 15 against).

Woo Wee!

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 12 Jan 2007 14:34

Le Tiss Predicts

DRAW - I am expecting Reading to get something here. I am expecting some sort of Everton backlash from last weekend, but with their defence still looking dodgy at times and Lita and Doyle so lively, I think it could be another frustrating afternoon for the Goodison faithful. The strikers on show are sharp and scoring goals, so I wouldn't be surprised if this one ended 2-2.

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 12 Jan 2007 15:00

That Friday Feeling Le Tiss Predicts

DRAW - I am expecting Reading to get something here. I am expecting some sort of Everton backlash from last weekend, but with their defence still looking dodgy at times and Lita and Doyle so lively, I think it could be another frustrating afternoon for the Goodison faithful. The strikers on show are sharp and scoring goals, so I wouldn't be surprised if this one ended 2-2.

He was spot on with our score when we played Spuds at home. I think he will be right again with a draw predicted in this match though im not sure it will 2-2

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 Jan 2007 18:40

Thanks for the history - how interesting!!

So have I got it right when I think that actually Liverpool and Everton used to be the same club who just split over the disagreement?

:shock:

If so how very interesting.

knights_1990

by knights_1990 » 12 Jan 2007 20:20

simple 2 nil win. SIMPLE!!!!!!!!!!!

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 12 Jan 2007 23:10

2 world wars, 1 world cup Thanks for the history - how interesting!!

So have I got it right when I think that actually Liverpool and Everton used to be the same club who just split over the disagreement?

To a certain degree, yes you are correct. Everton FC existed before Liverpool FC. Liverpool FC only came into being after there was a disagreement about the rent at Anfield. Everton decided to move, and so moved across Stanley Park. Liverpool FC was created to fill the void at Anfield.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 13 Jan 2007 13:27

handbags_harris

To a certain degree, yes you are correct. Everton FC existed before Liverpool FC. Liverpool FC only came into being after there was a disagreement about the rent at Anfield. Everton decided to move, and so moved across Stanley Park. Liverpool FC was created to fill the void at Anfield.

Thanks HH, I see. I guess if *any* of Everton FC was involved/part of the new Liverpool at all then it could be said that they were truly a splinter club and therefore did exist before, albeit under the name Everton. But if it's the case that a *totally* brand new different club came in and called themselves Liverpool and just happened to use that ground then it's less so the case that they 'split'. Holding onto the name doesn't mean necessarily they are and always have been totally different or even that they are the original Everton and that new club are different (eg Championship Manager/ Football Manager and Guns'n'Roses/Velvet Revolver etc etc... cases in which the name holders are not the real deal). I wonder which is true?

Memories Of India

by Memories Of India » 13 Jan 2007 13:52

2 world wars, 1 world cup
handbags_harris

Thanks HH, I see. I guess if *any* of Everton FC was involved/part of the new Liverpool at all then it could be said that they were truly a splinter club and therefore did exist before, albeit under the name Everton. But if it's the case that a *totally* brand new different club came in and called themselves Liverpool and just happened to use that ground then it's less so the case that they 'split'. Holding onto the name doesn't mean necessarily they are and always have been totally different or even that they are the original Everton and that new club are different (eg Championship Manager/ Football Manager and Guns'n'Roses/Velvet Revolver etc etc... cases in which the name holders are not the real deal). I wonder which is true?

Liverpool FC did not exist until Everton vacated Anfield. HH seems to have it spot on. LFC were formed by John Houlding, the leaseholder of Anfield.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_F.C.

oldelmparky

by oldelmparky » 13 Jan 2007 14:07

Barry the bird boggler And after their stuffing in the cup last week they'll be up for putting things right....

Maybe...
but I think the first goal could be crucial. If Everton get it you could be right but if Reading score first I can see Everton's cup stuffing getting to them.
I'm going for 1-2 Reading. Sidwell 24, Doyle 44, Cahill 87.

oldelmparky

by oldelmparky » 13 Jan 2007 14:09

Sorry.
Wrong thread.
:oops: