Shane Long

134 posts
West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 17 Jan 2007 16:04

Scarface
Woodcote Royal Long is yet another listed as "not good enough"

I think most fans are all behind Long, they just get frustrated that he's only one of 4 strikers at the club. You only have to watch him, he's clearly not yet ready for starts in the Premiership. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong.

I have watched him and I disagree.

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 17 Jan 2007 16:07

I seem to remember at the time of the Doyle/Long transfers some at Cork felt Shane was the better prospect or the two.
From what ive seen Long looks to have the attributes to blossom into a fantastic player and i`d have no qualms starting the lad in his countrymans absence.As ever both he and the rest of the team inevitably will need a few games to sync in with each other and theres always a degree of a gamble but he looks odds on to come good IMHO.
Anyone know what the fee was for Shane?Was he effectively part of the £78k Doyle fee?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 17 Jan 2007 16:12

If he went out on loan there's no doubt he would benefit from playing first team football but we already know he'd be a good player in the Championship.

I agree with most of it but reckon that we have seen hints that he'd be a good player in the Championship.

The issue for him has to be getting regular competitive football.

At times this season, he's looked lightweight and inexperienced, but that is because that is what he is at the moment.

Rate the lad - his cameos at the end of last season were very good.

That said, as said earlier, we're now playing two sides that have a style that could suit Long perfectly. If he gets his chance, time for him to show us what he's got.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 17 Jan 2007 16:16

higher Anyone know what the fee was for Shane?Was he effectively part of the £78k Doyle fee?
£16k rings a bell, not sure where I got that from though.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 17 Jan 2007 16:23

I can see him leaving Morgan in his wake and firing the ball into the net.

...........giving our Steve a reason to smile once again.

RobRoyale

by RobRoyale » 17 Jan 2007 16:25

Archie's penalty
Woodcote Royal Steve Coppell has said that Shane Long "isn't going anywhere" and, frankly, all I can say is, thank the lord our manager doesn't sit in the East Stand.

Long is yet another listed as "not good enough" by the same fans who want to see our young players break into the first team but moan like hell when they go the same way as all the others for the best part of 20 years....................released to ply their trade elsewhere, many having spent years coming through the ranks at our expense.

If he went out on loan there's no doubt he would benefit from playing first team football but we already know he'd be a good player in the Championship.

In my view, he's on the brink of becoming a very good player but we have to take a chance and give him a few more starts to find out for sure.

IMHO, Leroy's had at least the same number of poor performances and is know showing sign of improvemnts.

Playing things safe all the time has given us a deplorable return on our academy and if Long, probably the most gifted player of his age we've had in years, is not given a opportunity with Doyle out for a month, we might as well put up thr shutters on everything below the reseves.

With 31 points in the bag, and all the bottom 3 looking less likely to reach that total by the week, I think it would be a crime not see if Shane can save us a lot of money in the summer.

Completely agree

Here, here!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Jan 2007 16:28

Gordons Cumming I can see him leaving Morgan in his wake and firing the ball into the net.

I'm pretty certain Morgan is suspended for the game on Saturday.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 17 Jan 2007 16:31

Stranded
Gordons Cumming I can see him leaving Morgan in his wake and firing the ball into the net.

I'm pretty certain Morgan is suspended for the game on Saturday.

Shame................Davis then. :wink:

Greenwich Royal

by Greenwich Royal » 17 Jan 2007 16:44

higher Anyone know what the fee was for Shane?Was he effectively part of the £78k Doyle fee?

I thought Doyle+Long= £100k... could be wrong though!

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 17 Jan 2007 16:51

I thought that the 100,000 came from the Euros part of the deal, hence £67,000.

International Royal

by International Royal » 17 Jan 2007 17:02

I think Long is a tremendous prospect. Everton away was difficult for him and Lita, those centre backs are strong. There was minimal service from the flanks which will improve when Murty is back on the right and we have someone on the left who can whip it in (Convey).

The time to judge him is when we are at home, with more of the ball and good service. Without labouring the point - at Everton there was only channel balls to chase and hold up. It reminded me of Wigan away, Long came on that day too and had a hard time.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 17 Jan 2007 18:22

I thought the opposite happened more often against Everton - we'd play the ball well out of defence on the break and Long would make a great run out wide where he would then collect the ball in plenty of space. Unfortunately more ofte than not he then turned into a rabbit in the headlights and looked like he really didn't know what to do - either playing a poor pass or slowing his run too much so allowing him to be closed down.

Both Lita and Long need to play alongside a provider - neither have the all-round play to make them work well as a partnership.

Mrs Butler
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Mrs Butler » 17 Jan 2007 18:56

I have always been a Shane Long fan, i think i first saw him in a reserves match and he stood out..

He has potential to be something big IMHO, the goal he scored the other week at the cup game was amazing, havent seen an impressive one like that for a while. He at times can be fast, and has some sneeky moves that are good.

I think that with more starting line ups and regular top class football he will be able to prove to the rest of you, why i like him (football wise)

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: The footballing equivalent of a HarLOLem GLOLobetrotter..

by alad » 17 Jan 2007 19:07

Mrs Butler I have always been a Shane Long fan, i think i first saw him in a reserves match and he stood out..

He has potential to be something big IMHO, the goal he scored the other week at the cup game was amazing, havent seen an impressive one like that for a while. He at times can be fast, and has some sneeky moves that are good.

I think that with more starting line ups and regular top class football he will be able to prove to the rest of you, why i like him (football wise)

You just fancy him don't you?

Mrs Butler
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Mrs Butler » 17 Jan 2007 19:18

nope, just think he is pretty cute, and got talent

noise

by noise » 17 Jan 2007 19:24

alad
Mrs Butler I have always been a Shane Long fan, i think i first saw him in a reserves match and he stood out..

You just fancy him don't you?

:lol:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 17 Jan 2007 19:40

Platypuss I thought the opposite happened more often against Everton - we'd play the ball well out of defence on the break and Long would make a great run out wide where he would then collect the ball in plenty of space. Unfortunately more ofte than not he then turned into a rabbit in the headlights and looked like he really didn't know what to do - either playing a poor pass or slowing his run too much so allowing him to be closed down.

Both Lita and Long need to play alongside a provider - neither have the all-round play to make them work well as a partnership.

Bollocks - Lita's shown that when he puts the effort in, he can link up well, win headers and hold the ball up.

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 18 Jan 2007 15:49

From OS Kevin Doyle is out for up to four weeks with a hamstring problem, and Shane Long is his likely replacement after coming on in his place at Goodison.However, Long picked up a thigh problem in training on Thursday, and he will be monitored up until kick off.Graeme Murty is close to a return from a groin injury, but he will still be given a late test.Dave Kitson scored while playing 70 minutes of our behind-closed-doors friendly with Charlton in midweek, and boss Steve Coppell says he could start if Long is out.Bobby Convey played the full game against the Addicks, and could be in line for his first Premiership appearance since October.

Not great news about Longs knock in training but good that Kits and Bobby being given the thumbs up if needed.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 18 Jan 2007 15:53

higher From OS Kevin Doyle is out for up to four weeks with a hamstring problem, and Shane Long is his likely replacement after coming on in his place at Goodison.However, Long picked up a thigh problem in training on Thursday, and he will be monitored up until kick off.Graeme Murty is close to a return from a groin injury, but he will still be given a late test.Dave Kitson scored while playing 70 minutes of our behind-closed-doors friendly with Charlton in midweek, and boss Steve Coppell says he could start if Long is out.Bobby Convey played the full game against the Addicks, and could be in line for his first Premiership appearance since October.

Not great news about Longs knock in training but good that Kits and Bobby being given the thumbs up if needed.

We've got LOLoads of strikers.

JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 18 Jan 2007 16:00

I'll probably get slated, but I'd rather see Seol and Lita start up front on saturday, unless Kitson is 100% definitely fit. I think Shane Long could be a fantastic player, and I agree with those who say that we should give him a chance, but the Sheffield Utd game is not, in my opinion, the right time to take that sort of a chance. That said, I won't be at all disappointed if I am proven to be completely wrong.

134 posts