The Offside Trap

Royalphil

The Offside Trap

by Royalphil » 22 Jan 2007 17:13

The run out at free kicks... Good or bad?

I was at the other end on Saturday and couldn't really see on MotD, what happened to allow Sheff U to beat the trap this time?

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 22 Jan 2007 17:14

Bikey didn't get out in time with everyone else. Worked perfectly against Everton and previous teams when they have had free kicks. He just needs a run in the team to get on everyone's wavelength

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 22 Jan 2007 17:15

With a makeshift back four i couldn't believe they did this. Poor decision. Works a treat when it's the usual 4 and everyone is on the same wavelength!

Royalphil

by Royalphil » 22 Jan 2007 17:16

Huntley & Palmer Bikey didn't get out in time with everyone else. Worked perfectly against Everton and previous teams when they have had free kicks. He just needs a run in the team to get on everyone's wavelength

Ta H&P...

Anyone care to guess the signal we use.. or would this thread then be dangerous intelligence?

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 22 Jan 2007 17:22

Cureton can most definitely confirm that we still use Jacks :lol:

Royalphil

by Royalphil » 22 Jan 2007 17:26

Huntley & Palmer Cureton can most definitely confirm that we still use Jacks :lol:

:lol: Funnily enough, I think Sidwell said, after that particular incident, that they change the word every so often... I find it hard to believe that it is a word code for the run-out though... everyone in the team has to 'receive' the signal and surely acknowledge it? It is not just the back four in the line, especially if the free-kick position is deep.

Give it to Hetzke

by Give it to Hetzke » 22 Jan 2007 17:30

We were always going to get caught one day and it is no surprise that a team we have played so often recently, would be the one.

Thankfully it was not a match winning / losing situation.

Did I read that the signal is something like "who's got the number 9?"

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Jan 2007 17:35

I thought it was DLC who was slow out.

Anyway it was a very silly goal to give away i thought. Quinn started his run up twice and stopped when he saw what was happening so I was amazed when we still tried it on the 3rd time. A daft risk to take as it is so much easier to beat that tactic when you know it's going to happen.

That was a real blunder, but thankfully at a point that really didn't matter.

Berkshire Born

by Berkshire Born » 22 Jan 2007 18:26

Give it to Hetzke We were always going to get caught one day and it is no surprise that a team we have played so often recently, would be the one.

Didn't see the Man Utd goal at Old Trafford then? We've already been caught more than once.

Banjax

by Banjax » 22 Jan 2007 18:27

im sure it was udlc

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 22 Jan 2007 18:37

It looked like everyone ran out but DLC and Bikey were a bit slower than everyone else. Not by much though, which suggests it was just poorly executed rather than completely blown. Practice needed.

jumpers for goalposts

by jumpers for goalposts » 22 Jan 2007 18:38

Alan Partridge With a makeshift back four i couldn't believe they did this. Poor decision. Works a treat when it's the usual 4 and everyone is on the same wavelength!

Totally agree AP. As you say, with the usual back four it is superb, and makes the opposition look totally ridiculous. Saturday was the first time I can remember us cocking it up.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Jan 2007 18:49

Berkshire Born
Give it to Hetzke We were always going to get caught one day and it is no surprise that a team we have played so often recently, would be the one.

Didn't see the Man Utd goal at Old Trafford then? We've already been caught more than once.

Different situation, wasn't a case of all getting out for a free-kick more a case of Gunnarsson being a tad deeper than everyone else.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 22 Jan 2007 18:49

I didn't think anyone was slow to move out. What it looked like to me was two United players hung back about 6 yards further out than everyone else. As the ball goes in, everyone pushes up (including the United players who were level) and the two that hung back just run forwards past the advancing line and are totally clear on goal. Simple and brilliant, if I did actually see right.

reading_fan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by reading_fan » 22 Jan 2007 19:11

It's only the second time it's failed in the 5 or 6 years we've been doing it - the other time was a home against Gillingham I seem to remember. To be fair it is a proven success, just need the usual suspects in there to do it though I think!

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 22 Jan 2007 22:45

Naive and silly to try it again, but Nade still moved back with the line as well, so it was his movement as well as a slightly late run out by 2 defenders that caught us out. Nade deserves credit here at least shirley?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Jan 2007 22:50

it's bagged us at least one goal that I can think of and I'm sure there are others so it's probably worth it in the long run.

G Force 1871
Location: I'll always be on the Southbank halfway up, midway between the halfway line and the away end.

by G Force 1871 » 22 Jan 2007 22:51

Rev Algenon Stickleback H I didn't think anyone was slow to move out. What it looked like to me was two United players hung back about 6 yards further out than everyone else. As the ball goes in, everyone pushes up (including the United players who were level) and the two that hung back just run forwards past the advancing line and are totally clear on goal. Simple and brilliant, if I did actually see right.

Yeah, No one at fault, the line went up as one and Sheff U used a counter that more and more teams are trying to employ against our tactic.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 23 Jan 2007 00:06

Definately a good thing. We've been doing it for years and it take pressure off the whole team in what must be a pressure situation. It was always going to come unstuck some time, fortunately it was at a time where it didnt matter too much. Keep doing it.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 23 Jan 2007 01:20

Keep it for now, the only trouble is in time teams will catch on in time, espeicially in the prem.