FA Cup R5 - Who did you want, because it's..... Man U Away

347 posts
Magnus

by Magnus » 29 Jan 2007 14:26

Hoop Blah
Barry the bird boggler If its the beeb it will be the first time we have ever been live on national terestrial telly.

Are you sure???

I'm fairly sure the 95 playoff semi away at Tranmere and the final were both on terestrial.

Blue and White Toucan

by Blue and White Toucan » 29 Jan 2007 14:26

Blue and White Toucan wrote:
To be honest we have run United close so far this season with Rooney , Ronaldo etc etc.

It is unlikey that Rooney, Ronaldo, Van Der Saar will play (or at least wont start)

They may even rest Carrick or Scholes.

They will play with Ole Solskjaer and Giggs up front, and I am sure Richardson and Fletcher will play.

Remember the FA Cup is 3rd on Fergusons list so the Prem and Champion League will come first.

I predict that we may actually surprise a few people with this one.

Do you not have a TV at your house. Team that started against Portsmouth

Man Utd: Kuszczak, Neville, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Park, Scholes, Carrick, Giggs (Fletcher 85), Larsson, Solskjaer (Rooney 60).
Subs Not Used: Van der Sar, O'Shea, Silvestre

We don't stand a chance against that

Yes I do have a TV but United do not have a Champions League game tomorrow evening. They are also away to Lille which I would assume means the team travel on Monday.

There is no way that Ferguson will risk the same team again.

For a start if Saha is still injured he probably wont even risk Larsson.

And anyway is it not time for us to have a bit of luck in the Cup. :lol:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 29 Jan 2007 14:27

Trigger
Royal Rother I am somewhat stunned how some Reading supporters can be disappointed to get drawn away to the biggest team in the world in the oldest club knock out competition in the world during our first ever season in the top flight of English football during which we have acquitted ourselves with great style and generated a growing appreciation from all sections of the country's football media and particularly its Southern based floating supporters.

What have any of these things got to do with being disappointed not to get a slightly easier (or at least a home) draw?

Because the media exposure would have been nowhere near as great.

Like it or not, building awareness of the Reading brand is given a massive lift by the worldwide exposure that comes from this sort of game and is worth its weight in gold.

Ok, it would have been even better if it had been in the final, but I'm happy to take the chance when it comes, particularly when we will not be facing Man Utd's first team and therefore have what I consider to be a reasonable squeek.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 29 Jan 2007 14:28

Royal Rother Like it or not, building awareness of the Reading brand is given a massive lift by the worldwide exposure that comes from this sort of game and is worth its weight in gold.

Being happy about the draw because it helps to build awareness of the Reading brand :?

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 29 Jan 2007 14:29

I bloody knew it. I fly back from Manchester on the 16th!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Definitely worst case scenario assuming progression in the cup is what we want. Still the players will be MASSIVELY up for it, whatever team is picked and you never know.

Prediction: draw until 70th minute, Ronaldo comes off the bench and tears us apart.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 29 Jan 2007 14:30

Magnus
Hoop Blah
Barry the bird boggler If its the beeb it will be the first time we have ever been live on national terestrial telly.

Are you sure???

I'm fairly sure the 95 playoff semi away at Tranmere and the final were both on terestrial.

Not on the BBC though.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 29 Jan 2007 14:31

readingbedding
Magnus
Hoop Blah

Are you sure???

Not on the BBC though.

BTBB didn't specify the BBC though, he just said terrestrial

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 29 Jan 2007 14:31

readingbedding
Magnus
Hoop Blah

Are you sure???

Not on the BBC though.

ITV. It's still Terestrial TV. :roll:

Joe

by Joe » 29 Jan 2007 14:31

and i'm sure we used to be on "the big match" one against charlton perhaps....on ITV....in fact i have a few videod matches from that era to prove it,

Magnus
Hoop Blah

Are you sure???

Corky341

by Corky341 » 29 Jan 2007 14:32

Champions League soon after or not, Fergy won't be taking any risks with the Semi's within spitting distance. We are going to have our work cut out if we are to progress. I can't see Sir Steve making all that many, if any changes from the team he usually fields for cup competitions. I just hope they do themselves proud and don't get a drubbing.

Having said that, 'it is the cup' and anything can happen. We might just pull it off.

URZzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!

a royal called morty

by a royal called morty » 29 Jan 2007 14:32

I hope its on TV, as i can't make a trip up to manchester that weekend

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 29 Jan 2007 14:32

Royal Rother
Trigger
Royal Rother I am somewhat stunned how some Reading supporters can be disappointed to get drawn away to the biggest team in the world in the oldest club knock out competition in the world during our first ever season in the top flight of English football during which we have acquitted ourselves with great style and generated a growing appreciation from all sections of the country's football media and particularly its Southern based floating supporters.

What have any of these things got to do with being disappointed not to get a slightly easier (or at least a home) draw?

Because the media exposure would have been nowhere near as great.

Like it or not, building awareness of the Reading brand is given a massive lift by the worldwide exposure that comes from this sort of game and is worth its weight in gold.

Ok, it would have been even better if it had been in the final, but I'm happy to take the chance when it comes, particularly when we will not be facing Man Utd's first team and therefore have what I consider to be a reasonable squeek.

Ehh? The Premier League is watched globally already, our media exposure this season couldn't get any bigger unless we sign some £20 million pound player or won the FA Cup.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 29 Jan 2007 14:33

I'm sure it will get televised, possibly on SKy as the BBC had the Man Utd game in the last round.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 29 Jan 2007 14:33

southbank1871
Royal Rother Like it or not, building awareness of the Reading brand is given a massive lift by the worldwide exposure that comes from this sort of game and is worth its weight in gold.

Being happy about the draw because it helps to build awareness of the Reading brand :?

It's a part of the bigger picture that many don't see. The future prsperity of this club does not rest in JM's hands, long-term, he has made that very clear time and time again.

This type of game, particularly if we play well, will do an awful lot of good. As Hiro said earlier, it will be the most watched programme on planet Earth on that day.

You might not see it this way but that is something I am rather sure that JM will be pretty happy about.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 29 Jan 2007 14:35

Huntley & Palmer our media exposure this season couldn't get any bigger unless we sign some £20 million pound player or won the FA Cup.

Wait until this game is played. In the immortal words of Randy Bachman...

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 29 Jan 2007 14:36

Alan Partridge
RoyalBlue But isn't it great when the BBC website says 'Manchester United will face Premiership rivals Reading'.

A mere dream just a decade ago!

Someone should tell the others on this thread that think this is a 'money spinning tie' for us minnows. :roll:

We get half the attendance at Old Trafford? So it's quite a decent amount then. Money the club didn't expect. It'll pay for Bennett!

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 29 Jan 2007 14:36

What utter arse. Millions watch the Premiership every week, they already know who we are due in no small part to Seol, Doyle and the Yanks.

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 29 Jan 2007 14:37

Magnus
Hoop Blah

Are you sure???

So was Wolves at home, Boxing Day 95.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 29 Jan 2007 14:39

Rawlie19
readingbedding
Magnus
Hoop Blah

Are you sure???

Not on the BBC though.

ITV. It's still Terestrial TV. :roll:

If you're going to be a pedant, at least spell correctly.

We have never had a game live on BBC1.

That's a fact.
Last edited by readingbedding on 29 Jan 2007 14:40, edited 1 time in total.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 29 Jan 2007 14:39

Magnus
Hoop Blah

Are you sure???

The semi-final most definitely wasn't terrestrial as it wasn't on in Manchester - they showed the Bolton-Wolves game instead!! :x

347 posts