Andre Bikey

165 posts
Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 31 Jan 2007 12:32

He'll come good and had an exceptional game at Birmingham, but he's still too green for the Premiership at the moment. I do worry if he has what it takes between the ears though as he started scowling when Murty was having a go at him last night, he dives in a lot and is frequently out of position. Definitely has the raw ability though.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 31 Jan 2007 12:32

Dangerous Bikey had a good game against Liverpool because he was sat in the middle of the park breaking everything up and pinging a few balls around.

Last night he was diabolical and looked much worse than those early Sonko days.

Murty was laying into him after about 5 minutes, Ivar, Shorey and Murty were constantly telling him what to do, he let Heskey dictate the flow of the game in the first half FFS, was nowhere near his man at anytime, and just looked a complete liability out there.

I'm sure with time he will improve, but I'd much prefer to see him in the middle of the park than at Centre Half at this stage.

having said that it was Ivar who had an equally dodgy first 15 mins- he was at fault for the 1st wigan goal

Dangerous
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: 2006 HNA? Ryder Cup Prediction Winner! 2007/08 NFL Prediction League Winner! Retired.

by Dangerous » 31 Jan 2007 12:35

holsgrove breaks a leg
Dangerous Bikey had a good game against Liverpool because he was sat in the middle of the park breaking everything up and pinging a few balls around.

Last night he was diabolical and looked much worse than those early Sonko days.

Murty was laying into him after about 5 minutes, Ivar, Shorey and Murty were constantly telling him what to do, he let Heskey dictate the flow of the game in the first half FFS, was nowhere near his man at anytime, and just looked a complete liability out there.

I'm sure with time he will improve, but I'd much prefer to see him in the middle of the park than at Centre Half at this stage.

having said that it was Ivar who had an equally dodgy first 15 mins- he was at fault for the 1st wigan goal

I haven't seen either goal from the first half yet! :oops: Was chatting to my mate next to me for their goal, was down getting the coffee's in for ours! :oops: If it wasn't for those incompetent foreign buffoons behind the bar I would have been back in plenty of time to see Ivar's goal. :evil:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 31 Jan 2007 12:41

Garry Mann Maybe you should actually go to a game RR and see the whole picture, see his positioning and marking instead of a blury internet stream. You may then be in a better position to offer a decent judgement on the player.

And be like you, you mean? Righto.

East Stand Ste

by East Stand Ste » 31 Jan 2007 12:42

Big Ern Well said. I for one thought he did well last night. He looks for more composed now than Sonks did when he first got in our team.

:shock:

yea he showed great composure to get his head on that ball that just whistled past the goal!!

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 31 Jan 2007 12:44

Dangerous I haven't seen either goal from the first half yet! :oops: Was chatting to my mate next to me for their goal, was down getting the coffee's in for ours! :oops: If it wasn't for those incompetent foreign buffoons behind the bar I would have been back in plenty of time to see Ivar's goal. :evil:

Their fault we scored and you missed it?! :lol: In the famous words of the wise man Cloughie, it only takes a second to score a goal. We could have scored twice in the time it took you to get from your seat to the food stalls...who could you have "blamed" for missing the action, then?

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 31 Jan 2007 12:45

As SC has said he is a "work in progress" and has shown enough here and there to have potential. I actually felt he may have sensed the crowd's anxiety when the ball was near him and hence rushed and sliced a few clearances but still got in some good blocks and headers and his cross-field pass to Hunt was one of the best bits of a game that was not blessed with many memorable moments.

Garry Mann

by Garry Mann » 31 Jan 2007 12:46

Royal Rother
Garry Mann Maybe you should actually go to a game RR and see the whole picture, see his positioning and marking instead of a blury internet stream. You may then be in a better position to offer a decent judgement on the player.

And be like you, you mean? Righto.

1/10

Although I admit that I'll be watching United on the net this evening, don't however expect me to try and give a detailed analysis on the game though.

Heart and Seol

by Heart and Seol » 31 Jan 2007 12:48

sidwell was shite as well

Nezhen

by Nezhen » 31 Jan 2007 13:07

Usual load of cr*p being dished out here, but FWIW, it was obvious that our Midfield played much too deep in the 2nd half to help cover for Bikey's inadequacies.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 31 Jan 2007 13:17

Nezhen Usual load of cr*p being dished out here, but FWIW, it was obvious that our Midfield played much too deep in the 2nd half to help cover for Bikey's inadequacies.

We can't all be football experts like you my friend :roll:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 31 Jan 2007 13:18

holsgrove breaks a leg
Hoop Blah To be honest I don't think he's looked any good apart from the Liverpool cup game.

He doesn't do the basics very well and he is slow on the turn and cumbersome on the ball.

He's a big lad which helps him out, and he's not slow either. Yes he's young and his awareness will probably improve but I don't think he's up to playing in the Premiership at the current time.

Thats not fickle, just an honest opinion I've based on his appearances so far.

'slow on the turn' and 'he's not slow either'- make your mind up!

Two different things. When sprinting in a straight line he's no slouch, not the quickest but by no means slow.

When he's turning, i.e. not going in a straight line, he's slow. I think a lot of it is down to reaction speed as well as speed of foot as he often seems to be half a yard behind a forward run.

Royal Rother Refresh my memory please. Apart from repeated crap clearances which I fully acknowledge could have caused real problems against a better team (but is an easily fixed problem), what did he do or fail to do last night that leads you to consider him a liability?

Are you going to do the same for the times when he looked like a competant Premiership defender?

Royal Rother Some people can't see past the obvious.

It would appear some people can't even see the obvious!

PurpleTurtle

Re: Andre Bikey

by PurpleTurtle » 31 Jan 2007 13:18

handbags_harris It appears Bikey has come in for some pretty harsh criticism in other threads. Some people seem to forget that the guy is only 21 and is still very much learning his trade.

That's one thing that annoys me about fans and pundits alike - "its OK, he's still learning". Like you'd apply the same maxim to say, a brain surgeon, or an airline pilot? "Sorry he killed all your loved ones, he's just learning the ropes! He'll be better when he's got 10 frontal lobotomies under his belt"

He's a premiership footballer FFS! I don't want to get on his case too much, because I thought his positional play was pretty good last night (Heskey goal apart) but its what happened when he got the ball taht worried me the most, he lashing at it completely out of control, at least 5 times I counted, which there is no excuse for at this level, or indeed any professional level - it was a skill level below what you see down Christchurch Meadow every Sunday.

Wally - get him in for clearance practice, pronto.

wehateoxford

by wehateoxford » 31 Jan 2007 13:28

i think Bikey looks like a better version of young sonko, however i also think he's a more natural defensive midfielder, seeing as we've just signed a load of defenders as well can anyone see him filling in a gunarson style role?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 31 Jan 2007 13:28

holsgrove breaks a leg having said that it was Ivar who had an equally dodgy first 15 mins- he was at fault for the 1st wigan goal

It was as much Bikey and Marcus' fault as Ivars.

The long ball floated over Bikey's head whilst he was ambling forward ten yards ahead of the rest of the back four. Although it was Ivars man that made the run behind him Bikey had opened up his half of the pitch.

Marcus got beat at his near post, which as a keeper, is a cardinal sin.

It might not be all down to Bikey, more down to the disturbance to the back 5, but how many very good chances have we allowed the opposition over the last two games?

That to me says the back four need to tighten up.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 31 Jan 2007 13:34

Big Ern Well said. I for one thought he did well last night. He looks for more composed now than Sonks did when he first got in our team.

More composed than Sonko was perhaps, but Sonko always showed he had the raw materials to be a quality centre back. I personally don't see that with Bikey and clearly neither do the club, seeing as we're likely to sign 2 centre backs this week.

Russian

by Russian » 31 Jan 2007 13:34

Hoop Blah
holsgrove breaks a leg having said that it was Ivar who had an equally dodgy first 15 mins- he was at fault for the 1st wigan goal

It was as much Bikey and Marcus' fault as Ivars.

That to me says the back four need to tighten up.

Hello
very pity that Reading funs dont like Bekey's play

When i was here 2 monthago i read another opinions

I will see Bikey next week and he everytime asks what the fans talking about him
i dont know whatto answwerhim(( that he is non premierleague level like u said??

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 31 Jan 2007 13:37

Royalee He'll come good and had an exceptional game at Birmingham,

He was at fault for Taylor's goal. What the hell was he thinking in trying to flick the ball over his head on the edge of the box when all he should be thinking at that time was to welly the bleedin' thing!

He may well come good, and I hope he does, but he makes me feel very uneasy when he plays.
Much like Sonko did when he arrived. But if Bikey turns into anything like the defender Sonko is then I'm sure we'll all be delighted.

Don Finch

by Don Finch » 31 Jan 2007 13:39

Tell him we think he's the best ever.
He will kill us otherwise.

Seriously though, he's got potential - he's not the finished article by any means. The fans like him and he's still young with plenty of room for improvement - it's partly up to him how much better he gets.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 31 Jan 2007 13:57

PurpleTurtle
handbags_harris It appears Bikey has come in for some pretty harsh criticism in other threads. Some people seem to forget that the guy is only 21 and is still very much learning his trade.

That's one thing that annoys me about fans and pundits alike - "its OK, he's still learning". Like you'd apply the same maxim to say, a brain surgeon, or an airline pilot? "Sorry he killed all your loved ones, he's just learning the ropes! He'll be better when he's got 10 frontal lobotomies under his belt"

He's a premiership footballer FFS! I don't want to get on his case too much, because I thought his positional play was pretty good last night (Heskey goal apart) but its what happened when he got the ball taht worried me the most, he lashing at it completely out of control, at least 5 times I counted, which there is no excuse for at this level, or indeed any professional level - it was a skill level below what you see down Christchurch Meadow every Sunday.

Wally - get him in for clearance practice, pronto.

Where do you expect him to learn? With a brain surgeon you can learn in a classroom, and then by assisting the experienced and qualified doctor in real time operations. You can't learn football in a classroom, and you certainly can't be guided through with an experienced Premiership footballer by your side in a Premiership match. That is where the fundamental flaw in your argument sits. If players didn't learn in matches then there'd end up being no decent players. Players have to learn at the deep end. There's nothing like first team football to learn it. Unfortunately, whilst not ideal, that is the way it is.

165 posts