Andre Bikey

165 posts
Upper West?!?

by Upper West?!? » 10 Feb 2007 17:31

Bikey was MUCH more assured today than he was against Wigan. There must not be many players that could make Bikey look small, but Carew pulled it off.

In spite of Carew size and international pedigree, Bikey did remarkably well to keep Carew's shots to weak efforts. In addition, Bikey's passing was fairly effective today.

It's amazing what difference a run of games can make to a player's performance, and that's two straight clean sheets without Sonko.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 10 Feb 2007 17:36

-------- AFTER THE VILLA GAME ---------

Upper West?!? Bikey was MUCH more assured today than he did against Wigan. There must not be many players that could make Bikey look small, but Carew pulled it off.

In spite of Carew size and international pedigree, Bikey did remarkably well to keep Carew's shots to weak efforts. In addition, Bikey's passing was fairly effective.

It's amazing what difference a run of games can make to a player's performance, and that's two straight clean sheets without Sonko.

Ah I'm glad someone dug this Bikey thread up.

I've got to admit I am confused by Bikey.

I don't know whether he was great today, or horrific.

:?: :? :?: :? :?:

On he one hand he had some very dodgy moments and it was always cringeworthy seeing the ball go near him. (Sorry to disgree UW but I remember one - might have bene the only one mind - pass which was diabolical and was a gift to Villa from which they almost scored)

On the other hand he effectively silenced Carew, and thereby Villa's whole game'plan'.

Any other opinions?

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 10 Feb 2007 17:38

Bikey won the battle - just.

Some heart in mouth occasions but he worked really hard to contain an impressive Carew.

Still looks a bit raw at times ad gave away several free kicks in dangerous positions today. Not sure about his pace against really quick strikers but thankfully Young was pants today.

Agree with Coppell about Bikey being 'still a work in progress'. The lad had a stern test today and it won't get any easier at Old Trafford next week.

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 10 Feb 2007 17:42

2 world wars, 1 world cup I've got to admit I am confused by Bikey.

He was great.

Carew was clearly being used as Villas main goal threat, and as said, Bikey hussled and harried him so much that his efforts were limited to weak or wayward shots.

There was a touch of confusion about the hospital ball you refer to, but he made several excellent passes Sonko could not pull off with such assuredness.

He had a shocker against Wigan, but looked better against City, and now better still against Villa.

Covering a man-monster with the ability of Carew is no mean feat, and Bikey will know he's been in a game today, but he effectively frustrated Carew so much he just couldn't get past him.

The few occassions where Ivar was expected to deal with Carew he looked really dominated and would have struggled if it was his job over the 90. Bikey didn't take any of Carew's sh*t and stopped him playing.

Carew's frustration was gloriously symbolised by him slamming the ball hard onto the floor after a free kick was given against him...

The battle between those two was the most fascinating part of today's game, for me.

Cookie

by Cookie » 10 Feb 2007 17:46

I used to say to my mate that Sonko defended like he was playing for Dee Road Rangers (no disrespect lads) but as time went on his precision and timing improved and his display against the Man U defence earlier on when we drew 1-1 was superb - world class.

What I see from Bikey is a similar pattern developing and Mr Duberry may spend some time on the bench.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 10 Feb 2007 17:52

Gav
2 world wars, 1 world cup I've got to admit I am confused by Bikey.

He was great.

Carew was clearly being used as Villas main goal threat, and as said, Bikey hussled and harried him so much that his efforts were limited to weak or wayward shots.

There was a touch of confusion about the hospital ball you refer to, but he made several excellent passes Sonko could not pull off with such assuredness.

He had a shocker against Wigan, but looked better against City, and now better still against Villa.

Covering a man-monster with the ability of Carew is no mean feat, and Bikey will know he's been in a game today, but he effectively frustrated Carew so much he just couldn't get past him.

The few occassions where Ivar was expected to deal with Carew he looked really dominated and would have struggled if it was his job over the 90. Bikey didn't take any of Carew's sh*t and stopped him playing.

Carew's frustration was gloriously symbolised by him slamming the ball hard onto the floor after a free kick was given against him...

The battle between those two was the most fascinating part of today's game, for me.

I agree - Carew/Bikey tussle was very entertaining. Carew was great but who came out on top - (hopefully soon to be) our Andre Bikey!

Cookie

by Cookie » 10 Feb 2007 19:06

Bikey, he's getting to be a perfect fit into the team.

Gordon Cumming's right ho

by Gordon Cumming's right ho » 10 Feb 2007 19:25

Watching in the pub surrounded by Villains and, for me, Bikey was my MotM.

As 2WWa1WC says, not sure if he was brilliant or horrific, but to come in and put in a performance like that against an almost world class striker was first rate. He was up for the battle and the muscle and rarely gave an inch.

Didn't give me very much confidence and lost the runner a couple of times but, given the "oooooh, I dunno" slanging of him on Hobnob, I thought he was our stand-out player.

Yet more first class team selection from Sir Steve. I think Doobs would have been muscled out against Carew.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 10 Feb 2007 20:00

Without wishing to sound too negative, he scared the life out of me today. I agree that his opponent was a very awkward but Bikey just doesn't seem sure of what exactly he'd supposed to be doing. Muty and Ivar both had to talk with him at length during the game and Sidwell was clearly telling him to calm down and not give away so many fouls around the area.

Still, it takes time to get used to playing in a defensive unit that has been together for so long and we did (just) keep a clean sheet so I guess he has to stay in the side.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 10 Feb 2007 20:09

I had Bennett sitting next to me today and he didn't look happy - guess he sees his first team chances as quite distant after that performance and with Duberry on the bench ....

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 10 Feb 2007 20:14

What amazed me today was how he ignored the referee when he'd made a blatent foul on the edge of the box, and walked away when Clattenberg was blowing his whistle at him.
Sidwelll gave him a bollocking for not giving the ref some respect.

Hopefully the Reading way is being instilled in him somehow, he does seem to have a somewhat nonchalant attitude to the officials, including his reaction after getting sent off against Chelsea.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 10 Feb 2007 20:23

Winchester Royal What amazed me today was how he ignored the referee when he'd made a blatent foul on the edge of the box, and walked away when Clattenberg was blowing his whistle at him.

Hopefully the Reading way is being instilled in him somehow, he does seem to have a somewhat nonchalant attitude to the officials, including his reaction after getting sent off against Chelsea.

Would that have been a contributory factor in his caution?

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 10 Feb 2007 20:28

glass half full
Winchester Royal What amazed me today was how he ignored the referee when he'd made a blatent foul on the edge of the box, and walked away when Clattenberg was blowing his whistle at him.

Would that have been a contributory factor in his caution?

Could well have been.
Clattenberg might just have wanted to have warned him, but given his 'don't care' attitude, he might have been booked for ignoring the ref.
Good to see Sidwell give him a bollocking, despite not wearing the armband

Abbo

by Abbo » 10 Feb 2007 20:28

His positioning was very poor, and he will be sick of watching videos of that game by Weds.

Carew was his-type-of-striker.

I dread to think what the movement of Utd will do to him.

Not a fan, but thats also very much a mark of the very high regard I hold Sonko in.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 10 Feb 2007 20:31

In my opinion, with a bit of nurture, Bikey will be every bit a Centre back as Sonko is.

I think he's better on the floor, to be honest.

Cookie

by Cookie » 10 Feb 2007 20:32

Abbo His positioning was very poor, and he will be sick of watching videos of that game by Weds.

Not a fan, but thats also very much a mark of the very high regard I hold Sonko in.

LoL he might not play at Old Trafford because he's a regular first-teamer now. :roll:

Spud
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Spud » 10 Feb 2007 20:32

Abbo His positioning was very poor, and he will be sick of watching videos of that game by Weds.

Always looks different on the telly.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 10 Feb 2007 20:33

Cookie

LoL he might not play at Old Trafford because he's a regular first-teamer now. :roll:

Quite!

Abbo

by Abbo » 10 Feb 2007 20:39

Spud

Always looks different on the telly.

Indeed it does, and let me tell you lot that were there that his positioning on a number of occasions was dire.

I think he "got away with it" today. If Carew had scored once, twice (as he could have) would this still be an even debate?

Sonko he aint.

Spud
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Spud » 10 Feb 2007 20:49

If Carew had scored once, twice

Don't you go letting the facts stand in the way now.

165 posts