shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 04 Mar 2007 00:23

Tamworth_Royal
AthleticoSpizz
Tamworth_Royal
shadesrwrf
Tamworth_Royal I just wonder if Halford hasn't been on the bench not to a antagonise the faint hope that Sidwell might sign a new contract.

No, Halford hasn't been on the bench because he's not ready to play first team football yet.

and why ?
Copps is biding his time...it'll come

[b]remember Sjoke at home last season

Big team changes...all uneccessary............but still another handsome victory.

GH will have his day
Yes but my point is Sidwell would be upset if the newbie (on the bench) threaten his place at any point in the match ie subbed.

And my point is we have plenty of other players more worthy of a place on the bench.

Tamworth_Royal
Location: She's got a tongue like an electric eel and she likes the taste of a man's tonsils.

by Tamworth_Royal » 04 Mar 2007 00:50

shadesrwrf
Tamworth_Royal
AthleticoSpizz
Tamworth_Royal
shadesrwrf
Tamworth_Royal I just wonder if Halford hasn't been on the bench not to a antagonise the faint hope that Sidwell might sign a new contract.

No, Halford hasn't been on the bench because he's not ready to play first team football yet.

and why ?
Copps is biding his time...it'll come

[b]remember Sjoke at home last season

Big team changes...all uneccessary............but still another handsome victory.

GH will have his day
Yes but my point is Sidwell would be upset if the newbie (on the bench) threaten his place at any point in the match ie subbed.

And my point is we have plenty of other players more worthy of a place on the bench.

Name names and look at recent league games, only kept out re applecart < non tipple :wink:

Cookie

Re: Drop Sidwell Now

by Cookie » 04 Mar 2007 02:33

The 17 Bus He has been offered a great deal and refused to sign it, it is time that we planned for the future, withdraw the offer and lets play someone that will be here next season for certain, Halford would have been useful today, his long throw being as good as a corner, and we can score from set pieces.

This is fishing from No.17.

Let's let the management decide during the closed season, Sidwell can be replaced, not easily mind. Gunnarson is his effective understudy otherise I don't see loads of contenders for his place.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 04 Mar 2007 03:51

How can we "see" loads of replacements whilst greedy bollox gets to keep his place every week :?

Nevertheless, twice in 5 days Gunnarsson has shown just how over-rated Sidwell is and today, Wenger's latest crop of youngsters have shown why his old club will never be interested in having him back.........................he isn't close to being good enough.

In fact, whilst true fans of the game could only sit back and admire the talent on view from an injury ravaged Gunners squad, Sidwell wasn't even one of our best players on the day.

shadesrwrf Comedy post of the day.

Thanks for that, Mrs Sidwell, I trust you're managing to cope on you're meagre housekeeping :roll: What on earth do you have against young Halford?

As a woman who clearly has a high regard for all things financial, do you really think our manager would spend £2m on a player who isn't ready for 1st team football (and, I thought he'd played a few games for Colchester :roll: )

Greedy Bollox has had all season to commit to this club and I'm now pig sick of him using my team as a showroom from which to further his career.

The perils of 2nd season syndrome are the priority now and that means building a team from those who have signed up for the next campaign......................which is, more or less, everyone other than Sidwell.

Place an AD in the Evening Standard, Steve, and make room for someone who really wants to be a part of the club that has taken the Premiership by storm........................NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cookie This is fishing from No.17.

When viewed from the recesses of Steve Sidwell's backside, I can understand why you might think that this is the case.

But, believe it or not, he who blocks out your sun is not the centre of our universe.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 04 Mar 2007 05:50

Read the first post and can't be arsed to read any more. You are having a giraffe! Trying hard not to swear but Steve Sidwell has been 150% all year so shut the up!

G Force 1871
Location: I'll always be on the Southbank halfway up, midway between the halfway line and the away end.

by G Force 1871 » 04 Mar 2007 08:21

[quote="Woodcote Royal"]

But, believe it or not, he who blocks out your sun is not the centre of our universe.[/quote]

No he is the Centre of our midfield who has been one of the top 5 players in our best two seasons ever.

Sidders has done nothing wrong, he has taken a gamble on his own ability and to be honest, it has come off in a very big way for him so far. He will now either get an improved contract here (which I hope) or a a very good contract at a bigger club.

The simple fact is, in every game he has played for us he has given 100%, and that is all you can ask.

He's not been the billy big bollox running his mouth of all the time, he's got his head down and worked hard for the team. I have nothing but respect for him and at the end of the season I will be wishing him well either with RFC or with another team. An RFC great, and if he does sign a new contract, potential to be an RFC legend.

None of the management or the players seem to hold it against him so why do you idiots persist on claiming he has done something wrong?

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 04 Mar 2007 08:46

Forbury Lion I think Steve Coppell knows what he's doing. .

I agree lets close down the discusion boards waste of space all this chatting amongst us.

Diddyroyal

by Diddyroyal » 04 Mar 2007 09:00

what a load of bull,

He is a class player, you cant judge him on the last two performances, how about the past few seasons?
we are using him as much as he is using us,so what is the problem?
by dropping him, he would definitly leave in the summer, and i for one dont want that

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 04 Mar 2007 09:06

class player. can't really moan at him over two performances and on the other hand look how many great games he has had this year and he is one of the reasons that we have come this far. So to drop him would be absolutely stupid.

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 04 Mar 2007 09:46

The 17 Bus
Forbury Lion I think Steve Coppell knows what he's doing. .

I agree lets close down the discusion boards waste of space all this chatting amongst us.

My guess is this kind of discussion wouldn't be viewed quite as cynically were it ever to occur after a game Reading hadn't lost.

royals pete

by royals pete » 04 Mar 2007 10:29

these threads go on and on and on.... how can so much anti be written on a player who is ALWAYS committed and earns his salary, unlike loads of other club players who just sit on a goldmine and don't show commitment. (see W.Sham etc)

The reason why everyone gets fed up by contract talks is that the media and fans keep on and on and on talking about it.

Leave it to Sidds and Copps..something will happen and we won't have much say in it UNLESS we convince Sidds to stay by showing support. And IF we end up in Europe, we shant just need a reserve team, we'll need even more cover fo all those extra games.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Mar 2007 10:31

Steve Coppell picks what he feels is the best 11 for every single game. Steve Sidwell is still a Reading player and if Coppell feels that he is the best option in the middle of the park then that's fine with me.

Yes, he may well go in the summer (almos certain in fact) but playing somebody there now instead of him is cutting your nose off to spite your face. If he goes we will have plenty of time in pre-season to test replacements.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 04 Mar 2007 10:51

G Force 1871
Woodcote Royal
But, believe it or not, he who blocks out your sun is not the centre of our universe.

No he is the Centre of our midfield who has been one of the top 5 players in our best two seasons ever.

Sidders has done nothing wrong, he has taken a gamble on his own ability and to be honest, it has come off in a very big way for him so far. He will now either get an improved contract here (which I hope) or a a very good contract at a bigger club.

The simple fact is, in every game he has played for us he has given 100%, and that is all you can ask.

He's not been the billy big bollox running his mouth of all the time, he's got his head down and worked hard for the team. I have nothing but respect for him and at the end of the season I will be wishing him well either with RFC or with another team. An RFC great, and if he does sign a new contract, potential to be an RFC legend.

None of the management or the players seem to hold it against him so why do you idiots persist on claiming he has done something wrong?

Why not check where Sidwell came the last time fans had the chance to vote for their player of the season and, on that basis, how many others should be earning 25k a week.

Who was it who said he had a family to support and that the club needed to "show some ambition" (cheeky effing twat :evil: ) I thought this was Steve "Billy Big Bollox" Sidwell "running his mouth off" when discussing why he still hadn't signed a new contract.

Try this for a fact. The management could not run this club if every player did what Sidwell is doing.

He's had ample opportunity to sign a new contract, being offered more than all his team mates, and now the time has long since passed when we should be planning for a future without him. This should apply who ever, and however good, the player concerned might be.

But, lets face it, the typical Reading fan slaggs off new faces at the drop of a hat but once a player reaches idol status the world will end the day they leave :?

How the fcuk do know what sort of effect this is having on Sidwell's team mates :?

If you were doing just as good a job as a colleague and he/she was offered a lot more money than you, how would you feel?

Sidwell will not be our player of the season this time either, and, as such, doesn't deserve special treatment.

If he wants a place in the team, sign the contract................if not, fcuk off and do some gardening for the next 3 months, unless, of course, he's already sold his house :?

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 04 Mar 2007 11:05

Royalee Perhaps a better idea may be to drop the ineffectual Harper who, although liked as a player by myself, has been far too weak this season throughout. This is opposed to dropping someone on the basis of one game - we'd have struggled in a lot of games this season without Sidwell.

This is the comedy post on this thread. Harper has been brilliant this season. He has always gone about his business quietly, butt the fact he is no more noticeable this season than last just proves how easily he has made the step up to the Premiership.

Harper and Sidwell remain our best combination in midfield, and I wouldn't like to see Coppell cutoff his own nose in dropping Sidders now, whether he wants to leave or not. In fact you can look at it another way - if Sidwell is happy to run his personal monetary value to the club down to £0, then he can play every game this season and try to secure us a European place next season. He is the best player for the job.

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Drop Sidwell Now

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 04 Mar 2007 11:33

The 17 Bus He has been offered a great deal and refused to sign it, it is time that we planned for the future, withdraw the offer and lets play someone that will be here next season for certain, Halford would have been useful today, his long throw being as good as a corner, and we can score from set pieces.

How many time have you seen Halford play for Reading?

If anyone was going to be dropped based on yesterdays performance it was Harper and/or Bikey.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 04 Mar 2007 11:41

Tamworth_Royal Yes but my point is Sidwell would be upset if the newbie (on the bench) threaten his place at any point in the match ie subbed.
This is the most laughable bit about this whole thread imho. If Sidwell would be upset that someone might take his place, why doesn't he just sign a new contract!!! :roll: And if you think that anyone connected with RFC wouldn't play someone ahead of Sidwell if they thought they were the better player, you are seriously mistaken. :roll:

G Force 1871
Location: I'll always be on the Southbank halfway up, midway between the halfway line and the away end.

by G Force 1871 » 04 Mar 2007 11:45

Woodcote Royal
G Force 1871
Woodcote Royal

Why not check where Sidwell came the last time fans had the chance to vote for their player of the season and, on that basis,

Sorry, I should have said that top 5 was my opinion.

For the record the HNA awards since Sidders has been at the club.

05/06 Sidwell 13th
04/05 Sidwell 4th
03/04 Sidwell 1st

Not all that bad, when last season a hell of a lot of nobbers actually wanted the player of the year award scrapped and given to the squad as a whole.

IIRC, Sidwell was also our most highly rated player in the 442 best outside the premiership for a number of seasons (am happy to stand corrected if anyone can find the information).

Of course other players deserve to be on similar wages, but,
1. Sidwell has got lucky in that his Contract was running out
2. He has also taken a decision to back his ability and 'prove' his value to either RFC or another prospective employer.
3. He has also taken a huge gamble by playing a season at Championship wages rather than sign a up to a better deal immediately.

None of the others were in the same position as him and/or had confidence in their own ability to be able to play in the prem.

Who was it who said he had a family to support and that the club needed to "show some ambition" (cheeky effing twat :evil: ) I thought this was Steve "Billy Big Bollox" Sidwell "running his mouth off" when discussing why he still hadn't signed a new contract.

Never read either as a direct quote from Sidwell, if you would like to provide them as full quotes, in context, straight from the horses mouth thenI would be happy to talk about them, but as far as i was aware both were comments made by his agent and then twisted by the media.

Try this for a fact. The management could not run this club if every player did what Sidwell is doing.

Steve Coppel is doing something pretty similar to what Sidwell is doing :?

He's had ample opportunity to sign a new contract, being offered more than all his team mates, and now the time has long since passed when we should be planning for a future without him. This should apply who ever, and however good, the player concerned might be.

But, lets face it, the typical Reading fan slaggs off new faces at the drop of a hat but once a player reaches idol status the world will end the day they leave :?

Where have i slagged off any new faces? .............. never. Where have i said the world will end if Sidwell leaves ......... erm never. Go away and do your homework.

How the fcuk do know what sort of effect this is having on Sidwell's team mates :?

I personally would judge that through watching their performance on the pitch and the interaction between the players on the pitch. I've not seen any adverse effect on the teams performance or any sign of any issues between Sidwell and any of the other players, have you? Unless of course you think we might be higher in the league :shock: if Sidders had already signed a new contract.

If you were doing just as good a job as a colleague and he/she was offered a lot more money than you, how would you feel?

I do as good, if not a better job than a colleague in my current job, he earns about 50% more than I do because his job is a speicalist skill and it would be difficult to replace him. He is my best mate at work and I feel fine and understand the logic behind the managements decision.

Having listened to a number of interviews and phone in's all I have heard is the players saying that they hope Sidders stays and that he is important to the Team.

Steve Coppell has gone on record as asaying he fully understands what Sidders is doing.

Sidwell will not be our player of the season this time either, and, as such, doesn't deserve special treatment.

The statements I have highlighted in red seem to completely contradict each other?

If he wants a place in the team, sign the contract................if not, fcuk off and do some gardening for the next 3 months, unless, of course, he's already sold his house :?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Mar 2007 11:48

That's the point though, some on here are saying drop Sidwell despite not being 100% that we have a better option at the club at the moment.

Do we have other options, yes? Do we have better options, we don't know.

The only way Sidwell will get dropped this season is whether he gets injured or his form drops and somebody else shows in training/reserve games that they are currently the better option.

I've seen no evidence of either so dropping him just because he hasn't signed a new deal is frankly laughable IMHO.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 04 Mar 2007 11:53

Can anyone confirm this for me but did Greg Halford ever play in central midfield for Colchester?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Mar 2007 11:59

RG30 Can anyone confirm this for me but did Greg Halford ever play in central midfield for Colchester?

I'm not sure, if he did it wasn't regularly. He mainly played at RB or up front.