Sad lack of ambition - or weird mind games?

The Goat was fed

Sad lack of ambition - or weird mind games?

by The Goat was fed » 12 Mar 2007 21:37

In the last few weeks Sir Steve has pronounced that:
(a) We're not ever going to win the Premier League (proably true, but why not dream)
(b) We're not going to win the FA Cup (although we've just had our best chance of winning it since 1928),

And now Kevin Dillon announces (c) We're not bothered about qualifying for Europe either.

Well I bloody am - it's a lifetime ambition to follow this club into Europe.

If this is all mind games, I'm confused. It seems to be encouraging the players not to try too hard in the last few games and tells us punters that mid-table is the summit of ambition for the foreseeable future, and on no account must we try to win a cup competition. It's beginning to p*ss me off.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Mar 2007 21:40

Dodd :wink:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Mar 2007 21:46

It's just expectation management, nothing more, nothing less.

And frankly the management are not bothered about qualifying for Europe as they don't set targets. They take it one game at a time. If after the next 9 games we qualify they'll be as happy as any one.

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 12 Mar 2007 21:58

ken

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 Mar 2007 22:10

I don't see it as negative talk, just mind games as you say, so it's fine.

But yes it can be annoying to hear all this negativity.

Doesn't do much to attract players etc over.

Harold

by Harold » 12 Mar 2007 22:22

I think they are being realistic. Clubs like Reading, Watford, Wigan should be pleased they are in the Premier League and anything else is a bonus.

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 12 Mar 2007 22:24

Sensible comments from intelligent people, keep peoples feet on the floor. Fans are fickle, they will see that we have done well this season and expect to much next season.

Ambition kills football clubs.

Understanding the situation and be sensible is a good thing imo.

Reading_Royal
Location: 25Mar2006 History in the making - RFC in the promised land!

by Reading_Royal » 12 Mar 2007 22:35

So Coppell saying he wants to go out and win every game is showing lack of ambition?? Whats the point of putting too much pressure on the players.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Mar 2007 22:39

Guess the company-line is, you've done enough boys just go out, strut your stuff, just do what you have been doing for the last 18 months, enjoy your games, the rest will fall into place.

The £ is banked

PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL

by PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL » 12 Mar 2007 22:51

Harold I think they are being realistic. Clubs like Reading, Watford, Wigan should be pleased they are in the Premier League and anything else is a bonus.

relistic maybe but we have the potential to do well in europe aswell as the F.A cup and the league, we are bigger and better than watford and wigan

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 12 Mar 2007 23:00

Harold I think they are being realistic. Clubs like Reading, Watford, Wigan should be pleased they are in the Premier League and anything else is a bonus.

I wouldn't class us with those two clubs.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Mar 2007 23:04

Anything we get above mid table is a bonus. Staying up is our target. Luckily we don't have ateam that achieves it's targets and then stops going, our players will push all the way to see how well they can do.

What the management is doing is trying to bring the fans back down to earth so that they enjoy what we do achieve, not get pissed off if we don't make Europe or win some sort of trophy. We're still a small time club and remain that way until we can prove this isn't a one season wonder. If we can maintain a mid table finish next season then it is time to start thinking about aiming for Europe or a cup trophy.

Anything we get before that is a delightful bonus.

Harold

by Harold » 12 Mar 2007 23:06

Royalee

I would. Similar sized clubs.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 12 Mar 2007 23:07

Harold
Royalee

What Wigan and us. I could understand Watford slighty.

I like a bit of tasty bait.

Harold

by Harold » 12 Mar 2007 23:12

savage 4 england
Harold
Royalee

I am being serious. a lot of people who have season tickets at reading dont actually support them as such, just want to see Premiership football.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 12 Mar 2007 23:14

Harold
savage 4 england
Harold
Royalee

I am being serious. a lot of people who have season tickets at reading dont actually support them as such, just want to see Premiership football.

Probably a higher percentage at the other clubs you have mentioned.

So what? They bring money into the club making it bigger. I'm sure Chelsea wouldn't mind the whole of Asia switching from Man U to Chelsea?

Harold

by Harold » 12 Mar 2007 23:16

savage 4 england
Harold
savage 4 england
Harold
Royalee

So what? They bring money into the club making it bigger. I'm sure Chelsea wouldn't mind the whole of Asia switching from Man U to Chelsea?

I just think Reading are jumping the gun a bit to the size of the club you supporters think you are. it was only a couple of years ago , I couldn't give away free tickets for reading.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 12 Mar 2007 23:20

Harold
savage 4 england
Harold
savage 4 england
Harold
Royalee

I just think Reading are jumping the gun a bit to the size of the club you supporters think you are. it was only a couple of years ago , I couldn't give away free tickets for reading.

Yes, they are. 38,000 is ridiculous, 30,000 would be about right if i'm honest.

We have a much bigger fanbase than Watford or Wigan. The club will get bigger, but it'll take time. Having a larger stadium will encourage fans who haven't had the opportunity to see Reading play.

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 12 Mar 2007 23:22

savage 4 england
Harold
savage 4 england
Harold
savage 4 england
Harold
Royalee

Wasn't too long ago that Chelsea were in the second division

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 12 Mar 2007 23:55

Harold
Royalee

I'm 42. I'm a Reading fan. I spend far too much time talking utter shite in this forum.

You're ? (considerably younger). A Chelsea fan. You spend a lot of time talking utter shite in this forum.

I think we probably both need to get lives.