Time for Halford's debut ?

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 14 Mar 2007 10:48

Della may not be included at the weekend as he has been called up for Ecuador...Copps may let him go early as there are plenty of options available to him and it's again good man-management by Copps as Della stated his desire to play for his country a while back etc...

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 14 Mar 2007 10:52

Turns8 Della may not be included at the weekend as he has been called up for Ecuador...Copps may let him go early as there are plenty of options available to him and it's again good man-management by Copps as Della stated his desire to play for his country a while back etc...

It's a fair point although I'm not sure DLC would see it like that if he couldn't get his place back in our side, which would be more than likely.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 Mar 2007 11:51

Dirk Gently It depends what we're looking for - DLC is far better going forward than he is as an out-and-out defender, but SC's game plan may not need us to attack from the back.

Not seen enough of Halford to comment on his merits in comparison yet.

Can't really comment on his defensive ability as yet as I've not seen him tested but he looks more than capable of improving on DLC's attacking threat from what I've seen.

For us to have shelled out £2.5m he must have something about him apart from just being young.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 14 Mar 2007 12:04

In all honesty De la has had a very good season for us. I particularly enjoyed his performance in the United Cup away game. I think he deserves the chance to be on the bench until the end of the season. As H&P said before - if we do badly and know we won't get into europe that's the time to blood Halford. Or of course if there's an injury...

a royal called morty

by a royal called morty » 14 Mar 2007 12:11

Halford may be at least on the bench this wekend if Murts doesn't make it.
http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/pa ... 51,00.html?

Graeme Murty is hoping to shrug off an injury to face Portsmouth this weekend.

The skipper picked up a toe problem in training earlier this week, but he is hopeful of making our sell-out game against Pompey.

Boss Steve Coppell told readingfc.co.uk, "Murts bruised his toe in training on Monday.

"We've had it scanned, there's nothing major and we hope he's OK for Saturday."

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 14 Mar 2007 12:14

Hoop Blah
Dirk Gently It depends what we're looking for - DLC is far better going forward than he is as an out-and-out defender, but SC's game plan may not need us to attack from the back.

Not seen enough of Halford to comment on his merits in comparison yet.

Can't really comment on his defensive ability as yet as I've not seen him tested but he looks more than capable of improving on DLC's attacking threat from what I've seen.

For us to have shelled out £2.5m he must have something about him apart from just being young.

Yeah a oxf*rd long throw :wink:

I think he, himself sees himself as more of an attacking fullback and from the little I've seen and heard from ColU fans that is definitely the case.

Lets be honest i think we've spent 2.5m in the January window because we would have targeted him in the summer anyway and this ensured we didn't allow anyone else through the back door so to speak. With that in mind it's given him a chance to settle in without the added pressure of being our record signing and also the feeling that any games he does play will be a bonus for us and him.

Warfield Royal

by Warfield Royal » 14 Mar 2007 12:45

a royal called morty Halford may be at least on the bench this wekend if Murts doesn't make it.

The skipper picked up a toe problem in training earlier this week, but he is hopeful of making our sell-out game against Pompey.

Boss Steve Coppell told readingfc.co.uk, "Murts bruised his toe in training on Monday.

I've often wondered if training injuries are sometimes fabricated to give the manager options while saving face. Maybe not this time but I'm sure it has been done in the past.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 14 Mar 2007 13:14

Warfield Royal
a royal called morty Halford may be at least on the bench this wekend if Murts doesn't make it.

I've often wondered if training injuries are sometimes fabricated to give the manager options while saving face. Maybe not this time but I'm sure it has been done in the past.

Not in our case under Coppell, what has he got to hide?

WTRoyal

by WTRoyal » 14 Mar 2007 13:51

...just followed the link and unless they've changed it since you copied this, you've mis-typed it here - on the OS, the last sentence (of your quote) reads "We've had it scanned, there's nothing major and we expect he will be OK for Saturday"

I'd like to see Halford on the bench BUT haven't got the answer to who I'd see left out to put him on there - still, I'm as certain as I can be that Steve Coppell will make the decisions that are right for the team, for the game against Portsmouth; and I feel our players respect him enough not to start throwing their teddies out of the pram if they don't get included for whatever reason.

Nezhen

by Nezhen » 14 Mar 2007 14:14

Some interesting thoughts there. I too would hate to see Bryn dropped and would'nt like to think that Doyle will not be on the bench too. Frederici is a necessity, unless Coppell starts following Warnocks daft tactics, whilst DLC has been consistently good when he has been on. I'm sure that Oster would not take kindly to being dropped, but perhaps Coppell needs to still keep him on his toes, trying out Halford instead?.

My point really was that IF Halford is on the bench, I think he could do a good job as a second half Sidwell replacement. We are going to need to start trying out alternatives and different non-Sidwell scenarios me thinks before the seasons end.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 14 Mar 2007 14:23

readingbedding
Warfield Royal

Not in our case under Coppell, what has he got to hide?

A personality. :wink:

Doyler

by Doyler » 14 Mar 2007 14:39

I would love to see Halford make his debut from the bench, however, the current bench players have been performing every time they have come on, I don't think Coppell will drop any of them so he may have to wait a while. When he does get his chance though I don't think he will disappoint, looked very impressive against pompey reserves. Question is, is he seen as the possible replacement for Sidwell or is he in line to take over from Murts at right back?

a royal called morty

by a royal called morty » 14 Mar 2007 17:14

WTRoyal

...just followed the link and unless they've changed it since you copied this, you've mis-typed it here - on the OS, the last sentence (of your quote) reads "We've had it scanned, there's nothing major and we [b]expect he will be OK for Saturday"[/b]
I'd like to see Halford on the bench BUT haven't got the answer to who I'd see left out to put him on there - still, I'm as certain as I can be that Steve Coppell will make the decisions that are right for the team, for the game against Portsmouth; and I feel our players respect him enough not to start throwing their teddies out of the pram if they don't get included for whatever reason.

must have changed it as i copied it directly from the OS

North stander

by North stander » 14 Mar 2007 18:14

My prediction on this is that Hunt will be dropped on Saturday. Oster will replace him and Halford will be on the bench. So I think the bench will be Frederici, Gunnarson, DLC, Doyle and Halford.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 14 Mar 2007 18:28

North stander My prediction on this is that Hunt will be dropped on Saturday. Oster will replace him and Halford will be on the bench. So I think the bench will be Frederici, Gunnarson, DLC, Doyle and Halford.

That sounds good NS - the only thing is Coppell may well drop Hunt - but I'm not sure he will drop him entirely (ie from the bench as well). It's always good to have someone like Hunt on the bench to put the cat amongst the pidgeons. Oster should def start on sat though...

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 14 Mar 2007 19:45

North stander My prediction on this is that Hunt will be dropped on Saturday. Oster will replace him and Halford will be on the bench. So I think the bench will be Frederici, Gunnarson, DLC, Doyle and Halford.

:? Oster will replace him? He has been on the bench for like the last eight or so games

The_Cat

by The_Cat » 14 Mar 2007 20:00

I think the bench will be:

Federici, Halford, Gunnarsson, Oster, Doyle

Thus leaving out Dubberry and De La Cruz, no big problem seeing as Halford and Gunnarson can cover for both those positions.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 15 Mar 2007 09:04

I'd switch Gunnar for Duberry

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 Mar 2007 09:48

Huntley & Palmer I'd switch Gunnar for Duberry

no way

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses