wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 15 Mar 2007 17:24

Katie Marsden
readingbedding
Katie Marsden
readingbedding
Katie Marsden Can't answer the question I see.

My interest is that Coppell should pledge his future to the club to stave of interest from other clubs and to give players like Sidwell the assurance that he will be here for the foreseeable future.

Well you are wrong on that point because apart from Sidwell (who may leave regardless on whether Coppell signs a 1 or a 7 yr contract) there is no other player that we want to keep who has left in the last few years.

Not even close.

Want to try again?

Come back in the summer when the big clubs have flexed their muscles.

The deciding factor for players could well be how long Coppell will remain at the club.

No, you can come back in the Summer to see if your pointless and irrelevant post makes any sense.

If you like.

We'll see. I'd be worried Coppell is keeping his options open though.

Oh you've gone and spoiled yourself (again). Just when I was beginning to get semi interested in your point of view.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 Mar 2007 18:31

Katie Marsden
wolsey
zac naloen
wolsey
Katie Marsden If Coppell wants the players to sign for longer than 1 year, then he should aswell.

I still don't get the point of this remark. Exactly how many Reading players are refusing to sign for more than one year?

Care to answer?

Take that hook out of your mouth. He is clearly fishing.

I believe that the current phraseology would be "Whoosh"

There's a clear difference between being a decent wind up merchant and a blatant time waster/ attention seeker. Ms/Miss/Mr Marsden is proving itself to be the latter.

At least the "Harold" incarnation sometimes makes valid points (when he can extract himself from the "Yeah but we won, and we are considerably richer than Yoo" viewpoint)

So you would be happy if Sidwell signed a 1 year contract and all other players refused long term deals in favour of 1 year deals?

Coppell is the manager of the club and should lead by example.

PS, Just because someone doesn't share your view it doesn't mean they don't have a valid point and are fishing.

Can't see many players, or managers for that matter, wanting just a 1 year contract if the money is right! When did you last see a player or manager delighted that they had been offered just a one year deal.They all want the security of a long term deal, which they can then renege on if it suits them.

That's what makes Sir Steve so unique.

readingbedding

My interest is that Coppell should pledge his future to the club to stave of interest from other clubs and to give players like Sidwell the assurance that he will be here for the foreseeable future.

Well you are wrong on that point because apart from Sidwell (who may leave regardless on whether Coppell signs a 1 or a 7 yr contract) there is no other player that we want to keep who has left in the last few years.

Not even close.

Want to try again?

Dare I suggest Jamie Ashdown?

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 15 Mar 2007 18:53

Katie Marsden
wolsey

What does that mean?

So Steve Coppell's presence at Reading is likely to be of more impotance that the alleged doubling of wages, European competion, higher profile, enhanced England prospects?

The players are loyal to him, he basically made them. If Coppell is at the club then I can't see the likes of Doyle, Sidwell, Shorey etc leaving. If he leaves then I'd expect the best players to join bigger clubs.

Sidwell was'nt a coppell signing, he did'nt make him at all!

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 15 Mar 2007 18:58

skipper
Katie Marsden
wolsey

What does that mean?

So Steve Coppell's presence at Reading is likely to be of more impotance that the alleged doubling of wages, European competion, higher profile, enhanced England prospects?

The players are loyal to him, he basically made them. If Coppell is at the club then I can't see the likes of Doyle, Sidwell, Shorey etc leaving. If he leaves then I'd expect the best players to join bigger clubs.

Sidwell was'nt a coppell signing, he did'nt make him at all!

He did in as much that he signed him twice on loan (Brentford and Brighton) and probably had quite a big input in his post Arsenal development.

Nezhen

by Nezhen » 16 Mar 2007 11:51

readingbedding wrote:

Katie Marsden wrote:
readingbedding wrote:
Katie Marsden wrote:
Can't answer the question I see.

Not even close.

Want to try again?

The deciding factor for players could well be how long Coppell will remain at the club.

No, you can come back in the Summer to see if your pointless and irrelevant post makes any sense.

If you like.

Papereyes wrote:

Especially with members of his coaching staff being sacked.

:lol: LOL :lol: LOL Yeah cause Wally really piXXed off Coppell over that Warnock incident and he and that well informed Man U arse Alad had heard first-hand of his monumental decision !! :lol: LOL

rollsy

by rollsy » 16 Mar 2007 11:52

at the end of the day this is fantastic news

Royal Fleet

by Royal Fleet » 16 Mar 2007 12:36

I think the comparison between players contracts and the managers one is rather moot as players want a longer contract lest they get badly injured. Not really a fate to befall a manager.

Katie Marsden

by Katie Marsden » 16 Mar 2007 14:16

Nezhen readingbedding wrote:

Katie Marsden wrote:
readingbedding wrote:
Katie Marsden wrote:
Can't answer the question I see.

Not even close.

Want to try again?

If you like.

Papereyes wrote:

Especially with members of his coaching staff being sacked.

:lol: LOL :lol: LOL Yeah cause Wally really piXXed off Coppell over that Warnock incident and he and that well informed Man U arse Alad had heard first-hand of his monumental decision !! :lol: LOL

You must be really dim if you can't use the quote facility correctly :lol:

Adrian's Fool

by Adrian's Fool » 18 Mar 2007 11:59

I met someone last night who was chatting to Sir Steve's agent during the match (and believe me, they are the type of person who would have done). Apparently Copps is about to sign a lucrative, longer-term contract which is "very good for him and very good for the club".

Good-oh.

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 18 Mar 2007 13:30

If Sir Steve does nail himself to the Royal mast for an extended period that will be the signing of the season.Fingers crossed etc.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 26 Mar 2007 14:31

Coppell signing new contract this afternoon so my spies tell me.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Mar 2007 14:35

Good Good.

knights_1990

by knights_1990 » 26 Mar 2007 14:56

I really do hope he stays with us. Which i feel he will and so will siddy.

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 26 Mar 2007 15:28

JUST SIGNED TWO YEAR DEAL..ON SKY SPORTS NEWS JUST NOW..WAHOOOO :lol:

Fat Leather Jacket

by Fat Leather Jacket » 26 Mar 2007 15:31

Just announced on Talksport he has signed the two-year deal.

Well done Steve, you are our best asset. :D

Adrian's Fool

by Adrian's Fool » 26 Mar 2007 15:37

Don't get me wrong, this news delights me.

However the pessimist in me is telling me that now he has "broken his tradition" of signing only one-year deals (extremely sensible if you ask me), something's bound to go wrong within the next two years. :-(

fingers crossed, eh!!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Mar 2007 15:38

Adrian's Fool Don't get me wrong, this news delights me.

However the pessimist in me is telling me that now he has "broken his tradition" of signing only one-year deals (extremely sensible if you ask me), something's bound to go wrong within the next two years. :-(

fingers crossed, eh!!

There will probably be a review clause after 12 months.

royalrumble
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by royalrumble » 26 Mar 2007 15:39

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 26 Mar 2007 15:54

Great news- and it gives security to our backroom staff who in my opinion have played as bigger part in Readings recent success alongside SC.