Leicester - one year on

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 26 Mar 2007 10:54

WHY THE oxf*rd COULDNT I GO!!!!

gonna regret this for the rest of my life :cry:

fester_royal_blue

by fester_royal_blue » 26 Mar 2007 11:28

willz_royal WHY THE oxf*rd COULDNT I GO!!!!

i sympathise, my flat mates a copper and was working that day so couldnt even listen to the radio.
while the rest of me n my mates talk about it as the happiest day of our lives he looks pretty miffed at any mention of that day.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 26 Mar 2007 11:44

willz_royal WHY THE oxf*rd COULDNT I GO!!!!

Plastic.

When Hicks went up...

by When Hicks went up... » 26 Mar 2007 11:50

Will never forget that day...though like everyone else most of the evening was a different matter!

I do remember drinking in the garden of the turtle, I was shocked by how oblivious much of Reading's population were to what we had done. Seemed like there was about a dozen of us singing and the rest just sat around confused.

That was, of course, until Jonny Mad showed up and started serving pints!

Singing "You're why we're Premier League" as he walked out the back, I got choked for the first time that day, and felt like a bit of a nob...until I looked up at Madejski and I realised he also had a little tear running down his cheek.

Magic times. Can't wait for it all over again when we get into Europe...!
Last edited by When Hicks went up... on 26 Mar 2007 12:01, edited 1 time in total.

largetrousers
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by largetrousers » 26 Mar 2007 11:55

Sharpy all dayer with alad and goderz...in bar38 and then into walkabout.\fulltime everyone went mental...met cardiff at station for an off then back to walkabout and a fkin booze up!!

For once, the Walkabout was excellent that night, loads of banter and chanting, everyone happy. Only downer was the anal doormen that wanted to stop people in the hoops coming in later on. Vaguely remember meeting one of Sharpys cast-offs, Dan19 trying to snog me, holding my brother-in-law up who couldnt walk any more because we were so hammered, everyone kissing my Reading badge and telling me they loved me :shock: and pulling my girlfriend Emma who i've been with ever since! (still cant remember what I said!)

Will always remember March 25th!! 8)

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 26 Mar 2007 12:01

LOL.....was a good day in more ways than one then :wink:

fester_royal_blue

by fester_royal_blue » 26 Mar 2007 12:45

When Hicks went up... Will never forget that day...though like everyone else most of the evening was a different matter!

I do remember drinking in the garden of the turtle, I was shocked by how oblivious much of Reading's population were to what we had done. Seemed like there was about a dozen of us singing and the rest just sat around confused.

That was, of course, until Jonny Mad showed up and started serving pints!

Singing "You're why we're Premier League" as he walked out the back, I got choked for the first time that day, and felt like a bit of a nob...until I looked up at Madejski and I realised he also had a little tear running down his cheek.

Magic times. Can't wait for it all over again when we get into Europe...!

that was one thing that bugged me, hearing sir mad had turned up at the turtle that night.... i would of given my right leg to have a drink with him that night..i would of even brought him a drink :shock:

Adrian's Fool

by Adrian's Fool » 26 Mar 2007 12:52

My only (small) tinge of regret about that day is that me and my sister had tickets for the front row, right in the middle of the away crowd in prime position to take photos, hug players and catch mementos thrown into the crowd. HOWEVER when we arrived some annoying git had persuaded a steward to give him and his mate our seats because he had a "dodgy leg" and couldn't climb the stairs. When asked if we minded we of course did the decent thing and gave up our seats, ending up about 2/3 of the way up the stand.

It still makes me slightly mad to this day. If you were that annoying git you had better not have been lying (and if you did catch any mementos I claim them as rightfully mine!!)

Apart from that, obviously the best day EVER EVER EVER in the history of Reading fandom.

Melton Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Melton, New York, Paris & Dubai - but mostly Melton and just outside the lockdown zone

Leicester - 1 Year On

by Melton Royal » 26 Mar 2007 13:19

Fantastic day - up there with winning the Simod Cup at Wembley for atmosphere.

Couldn't get tickets for the Reading block but as we live local to Leicester we were able to get 4 tickets for the Leicester end but right next to the Reading block & managed to stay under cover until Doyle scored! Got some abuse from a few Leicester folk when we were finally outed for taking up seats from loyal Foxes (funny cos there were at least 200 empty seats around us) & celebrated with some other fans sat behind us who were at Uni in Nottingham or Derby
Thought all the Reading fans there were absolutley amazing & celebrated alongside them until we got kicked out

Proud to be a Royal that day.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

Re: Leicester - 1 Year On

by T.R.O.L.I. » 26 Mar 2007 13:28

Melton Royal Got some abuse from a few Leicester folk when we were finally outed for taking up seats from loyal Foxes (funny cos there were at least 200 empty seats around us)

:lol: No forgetting the 7,000 odd empty seats around the rest of the ground :lol:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 26 Mar 2007 13:44

This time last year I was lying on the sofa battling a throbbing hangover.

knights_1990

by knights_1990 » 26 Mar 2007 14:53

What a day hopefully we can do it this year by getting a EURO spot.
Come on URZZZZZZZZ!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 26 Mar 2007 16:34

I sat right at the back with my kids and Schards was somewhere further down. At the final whistle he managed to leg it up to our seats and I had a little tear as I saw him so happy. I was "slightly" concerned at the fact the whole away end seemed to be moving beneath my feet however. Back home - got changed - dashed into town and got drunk as a skunk - LOVELY!!

B18

by B18 » 26 Mar 2007 17:24

It was a fantasic day ... i took my father in-law, we sat 4 seats from the home fans 2nd from back row... and i remember them singing "1-0 down on your big day out!" ... oh how that changed at the end !

Next day ... i had to go to Costco and saw all the Sky TV vans outside the megastore .. went up to have a nose about ... when J Mad turned up, still drunk by the smell of it, and got him to sign my Leic Ticket as it was still in my wallet.. !!

Top Day ! ..

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 26 Mar 2007 17:26

B18 It was a fantasic day ... i took my father in-law, we sat 4 seats from the home fans 2nd from back row... and i remember them singing "1-0 down on your big day out!" ... oh how that changed at the end !

Next day ... i had to go to Costco and saw all the Sky TV vans outside the megastore .. went up to have a nose about ... when J Mad turned up, still drunk by the smell of it, and got him to sign my Leic Ticket as it was still in my wallet.. !!

Top Day ! ..

Should've given him a blank cheque to sign, fool!

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 26 Mar 2007 19:21

Seems crazy, but I certainly did not go as completely hatstand as I have in previous promotion years. I guess that like some supporters of elder years who put with decades of detritus in the two lower divisions, the thought of playing among the elite in the English game all seemed a bit dream-like and surreal.

My ambitions when I first started watching Reading in 66 was just to see them play in the (old) Division 2, but even that seemed like a distant dream as we had not appeared at that level since 1930. I think that it only truly hit home when I saw Murts lift that Football League Championship trophy. Then the tears started!

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 26 Mar 2007 20:33

Ark Royal Seems crazy, but I certainly did not go as completely hatstand as I have in previous promotion years. I guess that like some supporters of elder years who put with decades of detritus in the two lower divisions, the thought of playing among the elite in the English game all seemed a bit dream-like and surreal.

My ambitions when I first started watching Reading in 66 was just to see them play in the (old) Division 2, but even that seemed like a distant dream as we had not appeared at that level since 1930. I think that it only truly hit home when I saw Murts lift that Football League Championship trophy. Then the tears started!

sort of agree (I started going in 1969, aged eight). But I was delirious at Leicester.

What people forget is that (although we were so far ahead in the table it was only a matter of waiting one more game) with ten minutes of that game left we were nowhere near getting promoted on that day. Then Doyle equalised (still not enough) and Watford (I think) went from 1-0 nil up to 2-1 down at home to Millwall. And Stoke held out for 0-0 at Leeds.

The haranguing of people with radios and mobile phones is what I then remember.

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 26 Mar 2007 21:28

LUX
Ark Royal Seems crazy, but I certainly did not go as completely hatstand as I have in previous promotion years. I guess that like some supporters of elder years who put with decades of detritus in the two lower divisions, the thought of playing among the elite in the English game all seemed a bit dream-like and surreal.

sort of agree (I started going in 1969, aged eight). But I was delirious at Leicester.

What people forget is that (although we were so far ahead in the table it was only a matter of waiting one more game) with ten minutes of that game left we were nowhere near getting promoted on that day. Then Doyle equalised (still not enough) and Watford (I think) went from 1-0 nil up to 2-1 down at home to Millwall. And Stoke held out for 0-0 at Leeds.

Watford lost 2-0, even at 1-0 down we knew we were promoted if the scores stayed the same, Jeff Stelling told Reading fans watching at home to text the news to friends at the game, I still have it on my phone to this day :lol:

When Hicks went up...

by When Hicks went up... » 26 Mar 2007 22:04

LUX

I must have had a lot to drink because I definitely don't remember it like that!

kitsons_hair

by kitsons_hair » 27 Mar 2007 09:55

I remember being hit on the leg by Murtys boot and the guy next to me picking it up and keeping it :( Should have been mine!

Train journey back was great! Got on and had a load of C.Palace Supporters cheering us, congratulating us and hugging us.....also asking for Coppell back! I had one put his arm round me and tell me that Lita is great player, but he'll never be as good as Johnson.
Town was fanastic that night when we got back. Loads of Irish celebrating with us and telling us that Doyle is God.

What a day!