Spyin' Kop: Liverpool Home

oi john

Spyin' Kop: Liverpool Home

by oi john » 29 Mar 2007 21:45

Dear Reading supportters,

I'm a Liverpool supporter and a member of the independent LFC fansite 'Redandwhitekop.net' In the buildup to the match we run a feature called 'Spyin Kop' in which we ask an opposition fans site for their thoughts on the game and the respective teams.

As well as providing an alternative viewpoint on the upcoming match we hope to bring in some opposition fans for friendly banter and discussion pre and post game. It also gives us the chance to swop information about good pubs, bad burger vans etc.

I've put some questions below, if you or another supporter could answer them and PM me back we'd be very grateful. If you can't spare the time but know someone who might be able to then please forward this message on to them.

Cheers and regards,

Alex

ps. When the article is complete I'd be happy to post a link and you'd be welcome to come along to the site and see the reaction. if you wanted to run a similar article we'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about Anfield etc.

I'd imagine you couldn't have wished for a better first season in top flight football...

Has any player(s) stuck out for you this season?

Any player(s) that have stuck out for the wrong reasons?

Do you think you'll be able to match, or even better, this season next time round?

Bet you were gutted to go out of The Cup in such heroic way to the Mancs earlier in the season?

Where do you expect Reading and Liverpool to finish in the Premier League?

What have you made of our season?

What player(s) of ours will you most feer?

For most of out travelling support this weekend it'll be there first visit to The Mad Stad, so can you recommend anywhere to grab a bevvy beforehand?

And finally, thoughts on the score?

Thanks alot.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 Mar 2007 21:47

Welcome

What did you make of our reserves in the Carling Cup?

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 29 Mar 2007 21:50

I'd imagine you couldn't have wished for a better first season in top flight football... i did for a start

Has any player(s) stuck out for you this season? Sonko, tho rumour has it he sticks out a lot.

Any player(s) that have stuck out for the wrong reasons? Robin Friday, had a poo in the away teams bath once so I heard.

Do you think you'll be able to match, or even better, this season next time round? easy peasy

Bet you were gutted to go out of The Cup in such heroic way to the Mancs earlier in the season? bollox, we should have beaten the cheatin buggrs

Where do you expect Reading and Liverpool to finish in the Premier League? Liverpool top 4 reading top 10

What have you made of our season? who are you?

What player(s) of ours will you most feer? I feer no one, tho that Kevin Keegan has nice hair.

For most of out travelling support this weekend it'll be there first visit to The Mad Stad, so can you recommend anywhere to grab a bevvy beforehand? about Oxford if I was you, feck all down here TBH.

And finally, thoughts on the score? you won't score in Reading the girls are much too nice for that.

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Spyin' Kop: Liverpool Home

by AbovetheI » 29 Mar 2007 22:02

I'd imagine you couldn't have wished for a better first season in top flight football...
Well no actually. Gaining 40 points so quickly was as pleasing as winning Promotion so quickly last season.

Kevin Doyle for sure. Shame he got injured really but i'm not suprised how well he's doing for us as he was the Championships best striker by a country mile last season. Also Glen Little. Murked many a left back this season, even though I can walk faster than he can run.

Stephen Hunt. But only because of that cunt Mourihno.

Do you think you'll be able to match, or even better, this season next time round?
If we make Europe by some sort of miracle, then next season will be tougher and I can see us in a relegation scrap. Probably because of us having to play meaningless games in Lithuania on the Wednesday then having to play on Saturday. Can't see us getting a big enough squad together for that.

Bet you were gutted to go out of The Cup in such heroic way to the Mancs earlier in the season?
3-0 down in 6minutes had a kind of sickening feeling to it that I have never experienced at a football match. But to come back like we did and play Man Utd off the park for 75-80 minutes was umbelieveable. Cracking atmosphere aswell.

Liverpool will predictably, and boringly might I add, finish 4th. Reading to finish 9th. Top half with a positive goal difference. We'll just miss out on Europe and i'll have a wry smile on my face.

Not seen much of you to be honest. Haven't paid attention is the right phrase me thinks. Although I was interested to see how Dirk Kuyt would embrace the Premiership.

Well Gerrard plays well for you so i'll fear him the most. Looking forward to see how our plastics embrace Craig Bellamy at the Mad Stad.

For most of out travelling support this weekend it'll be there first visit to The Mad Stad, so can you recommend anywhere to grab a bevvy beforehand?
If your travelling by train, go to the 3 guinneas which is right outside the station and a short walk away from where the buses to the stadium depart from. Travel by coach/car then expect to have no where to have a drink as the ground is slap bang in the middle of an industrial estate. Actually there's a McDonalds, a KFC and a Pizza Hut next to the ground in Reading Gate retail park.

Heart says 1-0 Reading
Head says 3-0 Liverpool
Last edited by AbovetheI on 30 Mar 2007 12:18, edited 1 time in total.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Mar 2007 22:47

Doyle. Hunt 2nd

Hunt. Mainly for the right reasons, btu wrong reasons obviously the Cheatski incident.

We'll match it. With Coppell in charge we're not going to screw up massively. May even do a little better but it's quite tight up there and we may lose a couple of players.

Yeah but our reserve side put in a good performance and we can hold our heads up high. Good luck to Man U I say.

Liverpool - top 5. Readin - top 10.

As an ex red (my Prem team has always been Liverpool) would like you guys to have finished near the top. Whatever happened to the days of Ian Rush?

Gerrard defo.

As above.

1-1

Thanks alot.

You're welcome. Welcome to HNA.
[/quote]

Joe 90

by Joe 90 » 29 Mar 2007 22:54

Could have done without the injuries

Stephen Hunt

Steve Sidwell - Will he stay/ Will he go?

Yes - The big thing is the club ethos and internal structure. Good foundations means you can always build successfully

Yes - three stupid goals

Liverpool 4th Reading top ten

Below average for your club

No fear - but Gerrard needs watching

Oxford

0 - 0

RfcMad2002

by RfcMad2002 » 29 Mar 2007 23:29

I'd imagine you couldn't have wished for a better first season in top flight football... being top would of been nice, got kind of used to it last year!

Every team member, no matter how regularly they have played, have been a vital part of our success so far.

Sidwell, can't blaming him for leaving his options open, but it's starting to drag on.

They say the second season is alot harder, but with the progress we've seen in the current squad i wouldn;t be surprised if we can better ourselves.

cups are just for fun, we were never gonna win the thing, 'whats the point of being in a competition you're never going to win?'

Liverpool 3rd, Reading 6th

Typical Liverpool. Hoped for more of a challenge on the Man.Utd-Chelsea strong hold.

Steven Gerrard.

On the train down!

2-1 Reading, we need a win against a top side at home!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 30 Mar 2007 00:14

AthleticoSpizz Welcome

What did you make of our reserves in the Carling Cup?
guess you weren't there then :?:

Does Cantrell Farm still stand?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 30 Mar 2007 02:07

Being honest, most of us would have been happy just to stay up, especially with the likes of Lawrenson and Hanson writing us off before a ball was kicked. Even the most optimistic were looking for a mid-table finish, so to be in contention for Europe with only 8 games left has exceeded all expectations.

As last year, we're more about "the team" rather than individual players, but even those about whom there were doubts pre-season have stepped up to the plate. Steven Hunt and Graeme Murty were touted as not being "up to" Premier League football but they've proved the critics wrong.

Not in the "golf club" to the legs sort of way, no. Some had questioned Leroy Lita's attitude early in the season, but Steve Coppell has worked his magic and Leroy's head is right now.

Certainly match it, and hopefully improve slightly. Slow and steady growth and improvement has worked so far, so I don't want us to suddenly overreach ourselves.

Yes, but it was self-inflicted. But for a mad opening 5 minutes, and a team consisting largely of "second string" players, we would have had them. Many feel that we had a great chance to progress and that a slightly stronger team would have got through.

8th and 3rd or 4th

the usual inconsistency - if you'd not waited a couple of months before working out how to win away matches it might have been quite different.

What player(s) of ours will you most fear?
Any on their day. Riise's long-range shooting I particularly like, and Kuyt has settled in well, despite looking like a donkey when he was here in a pres-season friendly with Feyenoord. Pennant and Bellamy I don't fear - I just hate the both of them - both have massive egos and a nasty streak.

Nope, sorry. Drink in town or before you get here - we're out in a wasteland on the outskirts of town.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 30 Mar 2007 02:34

I always felt we would stay up but our league position is beyond any expectation I had.

All the players have stepped up to this level and not looked out of there depth. Doyler has been superb whilst Stephen Hunt has been a revalation.

Seuol was superb at the start of the season and we thought we had a real star here, turned out he was crap.

I don't think we will do quite as well but I am confident of a mid table finish.

Not as gutted as you? It was a shame we just had those mad 5 minutes at the start of the replay, otherwise we more than matched them over 2 games.

Reading 9th Liverpool 4th

Disapointing unless you win the Champions league. Like most I expected a strong challenge from Liverpool this season.

Gerrard

Great Expectations London Street

1-0 to the scousers
Last edited by Jackson Corner on 30 Mar 2007 12:17, edited 1 time in total.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 30 Mar 2007 08:41

Well obviously we could have - but this is about the best that was realistic. We need to get tot he end to see how could it has really been though.

As ever, it's been a team thing.

None.

Yes, no reason why not, especially with Sir Steve in place again

No, more gutted to have let in 3 early goals.

Liverpool 3rd or 4th (easy one that)
Reading 8th

No real views, I don't follow Liverpool !

None, they are just players in red shirts.
I most admire Carragher - but why fear anyone ?

There are dozens of pubs in town - I'd avoid the obvious chain pubs in Friar Street and seek out some of the older proper pubs a bit more off the beaten track - they do still exist.

I have been convicned we will beat a top 4 side this season. Having got draws against the top 2 I really think you will be our victim ! 2-1 to us.

a royal called morty

by a royal called morty » 30 Mar 2007 09:41

Not really, although it would have been nice to progress further in the cup competitions
Doyle has been a revelation for two seasons running know, Sonko was immense while he was fit and Shorey has hardly put a foot wrong. Saying that, most of our team has had an awsome season and almost every player has made his contribution.
Hunt, but that is only because of the whay that W***er Mourinho said.
I think that as long as we have Coppell and our great team spirit we can stay in thid division, even though many have said we will struggle next year.
It was really a shame that our defense had 6 minutes of madness, we almost pulled it out of the bag but it wasn't to be.
Liverpool- 3rd/4th, Reading- 7th/8th
I have not really followed your league season much, although the games i have seen you have played well. i have been impressed with your champions league season so far and out of all the teams left i hope you win it.
What player(s) of ours will you most fear?
Gerrard is the one who stands out the most, and Riise is good too.
For most of out travelling support this weekend it'll be there first visit to The Mad Stad, so can you recommend anywhere to grab a bevvy beforehand?Not a clue mate.
I would like to think we can get one over on one of the top four, heart says 2-1 to us but being more realistic i reckon we can get a draw, 1-1

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 30 Mar 2007 09:44

To many to mention. They've pretty much all taken the Premiership in their stride. I just hope the continue to develop next season!

Hmm, not really. Leroy Lita was walking a fine line with his ff the field antics but he seems to have grown up a lot.

Do you think you'll be able to match, or even better, this season next time round? I'll be more than happy with survival again next season. To match what we've done would be fantastic!

It was close. Maybe if we hadn't rested so many of the first team, we might have gone through. But it proves how strong the res' are here.

Liverpool - 3rd
Reading 9th

Of your season? Like any other I suppose - so near yet so far. Great football club and fans but just a few players missing.

Feer? Is that a Liverpudlian term? :wink:
You have a number of world class players. But we wont fear any of them! We will play our game and hope it's enough to take some points off of you.

Probably best to stick around the town centre and then get the football buses from the train station to the game. There isn't much around the stadium to be honest.

I'll plump for a 1-1.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 30 Mar 2007 09:52

I think it's been as good as any Reading fan could of hoped for. I was pretty confident we wouldn't go down, but to end the season challenging for Europe is a great acheivement.

Kevin Doyle clearly. Lita has also developed well as the season has progress. Shorey has made the step up with ease, as we all hoped he would.

Hunt. Most of my non-Reading supporting mates dislike him. Due in part to the Cech incident, but mainly because of his haricut.

Not a believer in this 'second season syndrome' rubbish. Just another term invented by the media to allow them to justify their failed predictions, and continue to patronise perceived 'smaller' clubs. We can certainly match our performance next season IF the club are as shrewd in the transfer market as they were this season.

Absolutely. Gutted with our selection, gutted with our performance in the first 10 mins, proud of our response, and then totally gutted when we hit the bar at the end.

Reading 8th, Liverpool 4th

Much like the previous 4 or 5. Delusions of challenging for the title, which are blown away by Christmas, combined with a decent run in one of the cups.

Gerrard is clearly your best player, and if he plays at the top of his game I imagine you will win.

Not the greatest ground for pre match beers to be fair, and very little around the ground. I travel into Reading from London to home games, so tend to have beers in town before the game and then get a bus to the ground. If you're getting the train down that's probably your best bet too as there are loads of pubs in town. However bear in mind a number won't let away fans in, so you may have to be patient to find a venue!

Reading 0 - 2 Liverpool

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 30 Mar 2007 09:59

Nope not really, its been unbelievable and now we can literally just enjoy what's left.

Yes, Peter Crouch, always find he sticks out a bit.

Not from the Reading squad

Hopefully we'll be able to match it but the notorious 2nd season is always hard so I think many of us would just be happy to see us keep away from the bottom 3.

Yep! If only Gunnarsson had been a step or two back we'd have completed the comeback. That said, for Reading, reaching the 4th Round of the FA Cup is a cup run so getting to the 6th Round draw was beyond expectations.

By the way anyone understand why when we field an understrength team in the cup its disrespecting the competition but when United do it its squad rotation?

Reading will finish top 10, Liverpool will do what they always do and nick the last CL place.

Liverpool's league seasons always seem to be the same recently. Crap start that seems to kill any chance of winning it, fantastic bit then follows that grabs 3rd or 4th and has everyone saying its not over yet, then a dip in form that secures 4th place and usually a reasonably good finish when its all to late.

Every other season a decent cup run in the domestics pops up but usually what costs the season is the inability to get points of the other top 3 clubs and dropping points in peculiar places (like the Mad Stad).

Riise

Henleyensian

by Henleyensian » 30 Mar 2007 10:31

AbovetheI I'd imagine you couldn't have wished for a better first season in top flight football...
Well no actually. Gaining 40 points so quickly was as pleasing as winning Promotion so quickly last season.

Kevin Doyle for sure. Shame he got injured really but i'm not suprised how well he's doing for us as he was the Championships best striker by a country mile last season. Also Glen Little. Murked many a left back this season, even though I can walk faster than he can run.

Stephen Hunt. But only because of that cunt Mourihno.

If we make Europe by some sort of miracle, then next season will be tougher and I can see us in a relegation scrap. Probably because of us having to play meaningless games in Lithuania on the Wednesday then having to play on Saturday. Can't see us getting a big enough squad together for that.

3-0 down in 6minutes had a kind of sickening feeling to it that I have never experienced at a football match. But to come back like we did and play Man Utd off the park for 75-80 minutes was umbelieveable. Cracking atmosphere aswell.

Liverpool will predictably, and boringly might I add, finish 4th. Reading to finish 9th. Top half with a positive goal difference. We'll just miss out on Europe and i'll have a wry smile on my face.

Not seen much of you to be honest. Haven't paid attention is the right phrase me thinks. Although I was interested to see how Dirk Kuyt would embrace the Premiership.

Well Gerrard plays well for you so i'll fear him the most. Looking forward to see how our plastics embrace Craig Bellamy at the Mad Stad.

If your travelling by train, go to the 3 guinneas which is right outside the ground and a short walk away from where the buses to the stadium depart from. Travel by coach/car then expect to have no where to have a drink as the ground is slap bang in the middle of an industrial estate. Actually there's a McDonalds, a KFC and a Pizza Hut next to the ground in Reading Gate retail park.

Heart says 1-0 Reading
Head says 3-0 Liverpool

I agree with most of this, so won't waste space saying it all again, but I think he meant that the Three Guineas pub is just ouside the Station not out side the ground. There are the usual burger and chip stalls if you want food at the ground, but the only alcohol there is inside.

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 30 Mar 2007 11:18

I would have settled for 17th on goal difference, so yep this year has been fantastic.

Nicky Shorey – A class act at LB, looks every bit a premiership player & must be pushing for a place in the England setup. He’s also played in all 4 of the English divisions. (League Two with Orient as a Teenager.) Mentions for Kevin Doyle, and Sonko.

Steven Hunt. Jose take a bow you twat.

We’ll need to improve the squad, and in Stevie Coppell we have someone with an eye for quality. Whether the status of our club is still an issue in regard getting players in, remains to be seen. If all those boxes are ticked, and with Stevie C doing the biz, I firmly believe that we’d have nothing to fear next season.

Being married to a Red nose scouser for many years, the disdain of Man U has sort of been transmitted deep into my psyche (especially by the Father-In law!) To say I was fookin gutted would be an understatement.

Liverpool 4th. Reading 10th. And then I’ll have a couple of beers and reflect.

Always look closely at Liverpools seasons, due to the family connections. It always seems like you’re a better Champions League side that a Prem side, and I fancy you guys to win that again this season. Losing to arsenal twice in the cups at home was really poor. I do also wonder about Benitez’s Prem League rotation policy, and I believe it’s more a hindrance than helpful. Trying to win 4 trophys is not easy, and perhaps you need to concentrate on two, and take pot luck on the others –although I know that your Fans demand success in every game you play – and that’s the difference between being a Reading Fan & a Liverpool Fan –level of expectancy.

Gerrard. A match winner regardless of the opposition.

The Guineas right outside the Station is the normal away fans watering hole. Jump on the bus right outside that pub, straight to the Mad Stad.
If not coming by Rail, then any pub with a 5 mile radius will probably let you in!

2-1 Reading

Don Finch

by Don Finch » 30 Mar 2007 12:22

Nope, 17th place was on my wish list and it looks like we're going to be well above that. Players have performed better than I would have expected, the likes of Murty, Little, Hunt, Ivar and the strikers have done more, much more that I thought they would in the first season. Awesome season so far, following on from last year too - don't know if it can get much better than this.

Doyle and Little, well a lot of the team actually. I think I would say we're not a team based on individuals as such, we're a team unit and our team work has been tremendous the last couple of years.

John Oster - he's an utter tw@.

Hard to say, the cliche syas that the second season is the hardest - hopefully we'll re-write that and finish top half in 2008.

I'm sure you know how bad it is to have 4,000 or so screming Mancs sat to the side of you, not a nice exeprience at 3-0 down. But the boys did us proud and if Boris' shot had gone in at the end I think I would have prolapsed out of sheer joy.

Liverpool - 4th, Reading - 7th

Thought you'd do better than you have, mind you, you'll probably end up fluking the European Cup again :lol:

Raffa's signings were more of quantity than quality - Agger looks good but I don't think Paletta, Aurelio, Bellamy or Pennant are good enough for LFC.

Steven Gerrard and John Barnes.

Three Guineas in town, there's nothing good near the ground. Callaghans is £3.45 a pint of Grolsch in a plastic cup so if that floats your boat it's a bout a 20 minute walk to the ground.

2-1 Reading - we're going to get 6 points from our next two games, I've got a feeling.....or maybe that's just my brain seeping out my ear I can feel.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 30 Mar 2007 12:52

What (sic) player(s) of ours will you most feer (sic)?

Suprised the HNA grammar police have not picked up on this one.

We fear your scouse wit, you should fear our knowledge of the English language (even if spoken with a Readin' accent - see Gervais).

Oh and to answer the question - Risse - but I'll leave it to you lot for the topical gag.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 30 Mar 2007 13:09

Will you be modelling at the fashion show, or are they not including baseball caps and teeshirts in the range ?