Does anyone feel that we are kidding ourselves re Spurs ??

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 04 Apr 2007 17:12

First half until the penalty we both had chances - Robinson made a superb save from Kitson and Lita hit the post when he really should have scored. Sidwell also should've done better with a chance and I'd say we had just as many chances as them up to then, which is bloody marvellous considering we were the away side and are supposed to have less of the play anyway.

The 'penalty' completely changed the game as it meant that we had to chase the game, which is always tough against teams with the pace Spurs have and if we'd been given a ridiculous penalty, the game could've turned out completely the opposite.

To add to this, you then take into account that we were without our captain, best centre back, best two wingers (I don't count a 50% fit Little as valid) and our top goalscorer for most of the game along with losing our first choice keeper (although Federici did himself proud when he came on). How do you think Spurs would've fared without Berbatov, Lennon, Malbranque and Dawson? Methinks they'd have been screwed.

el_presidente

by el_presidente » 04 Apr 2007 17:17

Royalee How do you think Spurs would've fared without Berbatov, Lennon, Malbranque and Dawson? Methinks they'd have been screwed.

They didn't have King who I suspect is their best centre back, but I take your point

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 04 Apr 2007 17:19

el_presidente
Royalee How do you think Spurs would've fared without Berbatov, Lennon, Malbranque and Dawson? Methinks they'd have been screwed.

They didn't have King who I suspect is their best centre back, but I take your point

He's the captain and best centre back so I thought I might as well take their best other centre back out as well as their captain to prove my point as we have two players out, rather than just the one.

windjammer
Location: Now living down in Cornwall, but missing the Royals

by windjammer » 04 Apr 2007 17:58

If we want to consider ourselves as a Premiership team then we should look realistically at our performances against teams that are in the same league as us, not as the wide-eyed new boys going for a nice day out at the big teams' grounds. The fact is we had 3 decent efforts on goal, Lita's headers, one that just missed and one that hit the post, and Kitson's effort saved by Robinson. Add in Sidwell's shot that was blocked if you will. Yes the penalty was unlucky but they outplayed us and it was only the saves by our goalkeepers and Spurs profligacy that kept the score to 1-0. Our midfield was poor, Little (now we know why), Hunt and Harper all had poor games, Sidwell was a shade better. Kitson is understandably taking time to get his form and fitness back, only Lita looked sharp. The defence did as well as could be expected under the onslaught. Watford have had plenty of close games this season scorewise and are always praised for their pluckiness, but they are still bottom. I think the fact that we are safe from relegation and Sir Steve says he doesn't want European football is leading to subconscious complacency. If we want to avoid seccond season anticlimax as in West Ham and Wigan then we must get a harder attitude towards our performances. Doyle and Lita up front for Liverpool, Kits on the bench. Oster and Seol (after a kick up the backside) on the wings. Sidwell and Gunnar in midfield. Bikey in for Duberry. Harper, Hunt, Duberry, Halford and Federici (assuming Marcus plays) on the bench.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Apr 2007 18:03

windjammer If we want to consider ourselves as a Premiership team then we should look realistically at our performances against teams that are in the same league as us, not as the wide-eyed new boys going for a nice day out at the big teams' grounds. The fact is we had 3 decent efforts on goal, Lita's headers, one that just missed and one that hit the post, and Kitson's effort saved by Robinson. Add in Sidwell's shot that was blocked if you will. Yes the penalty was unlucky but they outplayed us and it was only the saves by our goalkeepers and Spurs profligacy that kept the score to 1-0. Our midfield was poor, Little (now we know why), Hunt and Harper all had poor games, Sidwell was a shade better. Kitson is understandably taking time to get his form and fitness back, only Lita looked sharp. The defence did as well as could be expected under the onslaught. Watford have had plenty of close games this season scorewise and are always praised for their pluckiness, but they are still bottom. I think the fact that we are safe from relegation and Sir Steve says he doesn't want European football is leading to subconscious complacency. If we want to avoid seccond season anticlimax as in West Ham and Wigan then we must get a harder attitude towards our performances. Doyle and Lita up front for Liverpool, Kits on the bench. Oster and Seol (after a kick up the backside) on the wings. Sidwell and Gunnar in midfield. Bikey in for Duberry. Harper, Hunt, Duberry, Halford and Federici (assuming Marcus plays) on the bench.

think itll be oster and hunt to start with seol on the bench

would like to see brynn start instead of someone, would be gutted for harps if its him though

most teams in the bottom half of th etable go through most of their away games getting less than three decent chances , so we did better than that

the defence did as well as could be expected??!! what only losing 1-0 to a dodgy pen, away to the form team of the premiere league?
stop being silly
they did fantastically well

subconcious complacency - what? if so has nowt to do with copps comments on europe and more to do with half our squad being injured, and having passed the 40 point mark ages ago, and in my opinion alot more to do with having to play alot of teams who are either pushing for europe or battling relegation

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 04 Apr 2007 18:49

SpaceCruiser
savage 4 england We deserved to lose by more. Spurs finishing was shocking, but we didn't create much.

Why? By all accounts, Hahnemann and Federici were outstanding to keep the ball out. Just because they had more chances than us doesn't mean we deserved to lose heavily. :roll:

This is so true, we deserved a hard fought draw!

Row V
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Welcome to NJ, where the weak are killed and eaten.

by Row V » 05 Apr 2007 02:27

It wasn't a dodgy penalty, the first touch was ball against hand, but he then moved the ball away from the Spurs player with his hand!

Crowthorne Royal

by Crowthorne Royal » 05 Apr 2007 08:28

Windjammer - We are on the same wavelength. Interesting responses guys. I have to agree with a couple of other posters as well that say 'we shouldn't see games against the big teams as just a day out'. IMO games against the top 4 (as it stands) are games where any points are great. Against place 5 and below we should be competitive. We beat Bolton 1-0 and have a decent chance of getting a result there too. We beat Spurs 3-1 at The MS so why shouldn't we contend with Spurs at WHL ? Yes, there will be predictable responses of 'we did compete, we only lost 1-0' but as my original post says 'let's not kid ourselves' they were by far the better team. Knowing us we will beat a 'scarily in form' Liverpool team on Sat. In all honesty at home I fancy us against anyone beacuse of the way we play. Away, if I'm totally honest I have been disappointed with some of our performances. Pompey, Arsenal, Spurs, Wigan, Liverpool, Boro etc.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 05 Apr 2007 09:26

Row V It wasn't a dodgy penalty, the first touch was ball against hand, but he then moved the ball away from the Spurs player with his hand!

dodgy as oxf*rd

hand to ball, didnt know anything about it
was less of a handball than either dawsons, or zakoras for them

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 05 Apr 2007 11:29

Don Finch
Tilehurst Mike ...bring back Doyle!!

I hope he'll start on Saturday [up front], what are the chances?

A must in my opinion. Other than Little ( and to a lesser extent Shurey ),
the only player with the ability to go past people.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 05 Apr 2007 11:33

I have to agree with the author of this thread. I mean I'm sure I'm going to get slagged off for saying this but I thought, from what I 've seen this season, against Spurs it would count as one of our more ordinary performances. Personally, although strict I thought the penalty was a 50/50 and the ref can't be blamed. Spurs were far better than us and Defoe's late miss was mindbogolingly bad. We could have easliy lost 3-0 and not have had too much to complain about. Agreed, save of the season from Federici.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 05 Apr 2007 12:13

fed was showboating, made it look much better than it was

it was about 6 inches higher than his head, but then he extended his arms right out before pulling them back in, and there was no real need to go horizontal either
mind u, its a goal keepers perogative to showboat, and he did it well.

Forty

by Forty » 06 Apr 2007 18:55

Lovely irony for Spurs last night against Seville, to be done with a penalty described as ropey at best.

comeonthebiscuitmen

by comeonthebiscuitmen » 07 Apr 2007 09:33

Rocha was definately the weak link for them.
He's not Ledley King - not by a long way.

Lita or Kitson should have put something away in the first half.

frimleygreen_shotspur
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: between the old wheatsheaf and the rose and thistle

by frimleygreen_shotspur » 07 Apr 2007 09:35

Forty Lovely irony for Spurs last night against Seville, to be done with a penalty described as ropey at best.

one nil at the lane will do.

VOR

by VOR » 07 Apr 2007 12:11

skipper
SpaceCruiser
savage 4 england We deserved to lose by more. Spurs finishing was shocking, but we didn't create much.

Why? By all accounts, Hahnemann and Federici were outstanding to keep the ball out. Just because they had more chances than us doesn't mean we deserved to lose heavily. :roll:

This is so true, we deserved a hard fought draw!

Cyclops Syndrome strikes again. We were totally outplayed in the 2nd half. If the match had been the other way around, you'd be saying we should have won by 3 or 4.

VOR

by VOR » 07 Apr 2007 12:15

frimleygreen_shotspur
Forty Lovely irony for Spurs last night against Seville, to be done with a penalty described as ropey at best.

one nil at the lane will do.

Yes, sure, but still a lovely irony! Especially as (my Spurs-mad bro claims) the Halford pen was given for a "second movement" - just like Robinson