Reading v Wolves - a decade on

Katie Marsden

by Katie Marsden » 11 Apr 2007 16:34

Jerry St Clair
Katie Marsden I don't think I've ever gone as mental when a goal has gone in than that day.

Only the Nogan goal against Bolton, Adie's goal against Charlton, The winner in the play off semi final against Wigan or Curo's goal at Brentford come close.

Curiously, I'd include the two late goals against Oldham in 1995 and the late Gilkes winner against Brizzle City in 1994 in there aswell. There were only 7k at the Oldham game, but the Southbank went nuts.

I remember the Oldham game, good shout but the poor crowd (I was in the Tilehurst End and it was almost empty) took the magic away. You can't go mental when theres no one around for 5 yards as you look like a right pillock.

quinnsleftfoot

by quinnsleftfoot » 11 Apr 2007 17:23

That Bolton home game of 95 is still my favourite game of all time. You'll never get that kind of atmosphere generated at a Reading home game again.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 11 Apr 2007 17:27

Coppelled Streets Twas a great night. Everything from staggering over to Elm park from the Beefeater in Southcote, to Archie and his 2 late goals.
I was still celebrating the first goal when the second went in!
Talk about seeing stars. My legs went numb and I almost collapsed. :lol:

Night? It was a Saturday afternoon match.

My favourite memory was after about 80 minutes the bloke next to us announcing loudly "They'll never score in a million years, I'm off" and ostentatiously leaving! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 11 Apr 2007 17:46

I remember tumbling from the top to nearly the bottom of the South Bank!!

Another happy memory was that my mate's old man who sat in the north Stand told us in the Rendevous afterwards of some "wags" chucking gold chocolate coins at McGhee during the game aswell.

I do not mean to come over too nostalgic here but if we had played THAT Chelsea home game from this season at EP we would have won without a doubt and Jose would still be moaning now about the pitch, changing rooms, toilet, parking, dug out, the half time tea and oranges, etc etc!

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 11 Apr 2007 19:07

For atmosphere at EP, nothing was better than that Friday night against Bolton. Great performance against the best side I saw that year. I have never ever seen the Tilehurst End go as radio rental as that when Nogs got the winner. A wonderful, memorable night.

Royal Jelly

by Royal Jelly » 11 Apr 2007 19:17

I was lucky enough to have this as my first game (apart from a few as a young boy in the Tilehurst end with my dad, so they don't count).

I clearly remember feeling very faint at the end, and I'm so glad I had the good fortune to get hooked with a game like this, rather than watch some turgid affair and never return.

flintyboy73

by flintyboy73 » 11 Apr 2007 19:31

i remember this big burly wolves fan going around afterwards saying I wanna hit someone (and being egged on by his chums) and was looking at me, so got out of there fast.

spickroyal

by spickroyal » 11 Apr 2007 21:26

Ark Royal For atmosphere at EP, nothing was better than that Friday night against Bolton. Great performance against the best side I saw that year. I have never ever seen the Tilehurst End go as radio rental as that when Nogs got the winner. A wonderful, memorable night.

I agree, that is why I mentioned it, there was nothing like a night game at a packed Elm Park....awesome.

earley_royals
Location: I am earley, super earley, i am earley, from Earley.

by earley_royals » 11 Apr 2007 21:42

Fantastic memories.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Apr 2007 21:59

Just remembered for that Wolves game, myself and a couple of mates had moved from our normal position on the Southbank and had just got to the bottom of the yellow steps in the middle of the terrace when we equalised - cue mad celebrations.

After we calmed down we continued to make our way towards a pint in the Spread delighted with a late snatched point, watching the game as we made our way around the bottom of the terrace.

Cut through the gate in to the Tilehurst End and keep going, as we get behind the goal, Archie's 2nd hits the back of the net sparking mental celebrations!

Only time I've seen Reading score twice in one game from different stands!

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 11 Apr 2007 22:11

Stranded Only time I've seen Reading score twice in one game from different stands!

Twice in injury time from two different stands, no less !

I was in the Spead Eagle before the game and it was packed with Wolves fans. One came up to me and said "Get out, this is a Wolves pub". Nothing much changes - they are such little darlings, these yam yams.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Reading v Wolves - a decade on

by Royal With Cheese » 11 Apr 2007 22:19

Jerry St Clair 12 April 1997

Can't believe it was a decade ago. One of the finest days in modern Reading history.

Has anyone got a vid of the two Archie goals? Pretty please put them on youtube so I can wet myself all over again?

http://www.royals.org/matdoc/120497.html

What a day - my birthday too!
:D

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 11 Apr 2007 22:40

10 years being a Reading fan for me then.

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 12 Apr 2007 14:49

I sacked the game off due to a heavy drugs comedown!

What a mistake that was!

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 12 Apr 2007 15:02

quinnsleftfoot That Bolton home game of 95 is still my favourite game of all time. You'll never get that kind of atmosphere generated at a Reading home game again.

Me too. It was the Friday night factor that made the big difference. I can picture in mind so clearly the carnage on the Southbank when Nogan netted that breakaway late winner.

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

Re: Reading v Wolves - a decade on

by Deadlock » 12 Apr 2007 15:39

Jerry St Clair Has anyone got a vid of the two Archie goals? Pretty please put them on youtube so I can wet myself all over again?

Somebody must have that picture of McGhee scowling as our winner goes in, surely?

Gandalf Presley

by Gandalf Presley » 12 Apr 2007 15:42

Great memories.

Abiding memory was a good number of Wolves fans came up the dirt track towards the Tilehurst Rd. To a man (& woman), there was a looked of bewilderment mixed with anger.

There was the usual good natured banter "see you next year", one nil and you oxf*rd it up!" etc. However, I still remember this fat bloke in a Wolves shirt shouting "I've got more money in me back pocket than Reading Football Club" After further ribbing (how much is Mr Mad worth, all your players are mercenaries), he let out this high pitched "YOU'RE oxf*rd SHIT!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Daniella

by Daniella » 12 Apr 2007 17:13

Gandalf Presley Great memories.

Abiding memory was a good number of Wolves fans came up the dirt track towards the Tilehurst Rd. To a man (& woman), there was a looked of bewilderment mixed with anger.

There was the usual good natured banter "see you next year", one nil and you oxf*rd it up!" etc. However, I still remember this fat bloke in a Wolves shirt shouting "I've got more money in me back pocket than Reading Football Club" After further ribbing (how much is Mr Mad worth, all your players are mercenaries), he let out this high pitched "YOU'RE oxf*rd SHIT!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh how times change,lol.

I think you'd enjoy being re-united with that chump.

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 12 Apr 2007 17:14

Two pages and no sign of that banner.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Apr 2007 17:16

With regards to the Wolves game, am I imagining things or did a certain Mr Williams end up in the dressing room before the end of the game? I have a vague recollection of a story circulating that he heard the roar when the first goal for us went in, asked what had happened and was told Lovell had just equalised. When the second roar went up, he is reported as having said 'Not that b*stard Archie again?!' only to receive the answer in the affirmative.