Sonko out for season

Royalupnorth
Location: Is there a time for first communion, a time for East 17?

by Royalupnorth » 01 Feb 2007 18:41

ShrewsandRoyals Would you agree that Sonks must have known that he had done more damage than he let on? Just a stretched ACL is bloomin' painful just to walk on!

Oh he knew!!
But a stretched ACL is actually more painful than a ruptured one.
Once its gone its gone, you can't damage further what isn't there.
A stretched one will remind you its there with every step, as you stretch it a bit further.

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 01 Feb 2007 19:15

RoyalBlue What does our resident sports physio make of this news?

I find it absolutely incredible that Sonko apparently managed to play on, after he first went down, with his cartilage damage and his cruciate ligaments b*ggered up.

Or did one of those happen as a consequence of him deciding/being allowed to play on?

I wanted to make the same observation, but forgetting the issue that we now wish he would have stayed down, the man must have been truly in agony.

For standing up the man is a legend and for trying to play on well I can only say that he must be prepared to walk through a wall for US.

Sonko is truly Superman.

Toward the end of the season (when off crutches) it would truly be amazing if he sat with us for an away game.

Perhaps I am dreaming of such an occasion but the Chant of "weve got our Superman" would be awesome.

I admire this man.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 01 Feb 2007 20:53

Its 6 months minimum, my workmates wife operated in him! It could well be a up to a year which is disasterous for Sonks, i just hope he comes back from it ok- good luck Superman! If it really is this amount of time, expect to see Coppell coming back for the likes of Barnett,Mensah in the summer.

Royalupnorth
Location: Is there a time for first communion, a time for East 17?

by Royalupnorth » 01 Feb 2007 20:56

holsgrove breaks a leg Its 6 months minimum, my workmates wife operated in him! It could well be a up to a year which is disasterous for Sonks, i just hope he comes back from it ok- good luck Superman! If it really is this amount of time, expect to see Coppell coming back for the likes of Barnett,Mensah in the summer.

What, so he's like a robot with a person operating inside.
That explains a lot.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 01 Feb 2007 21:07

alad Sonko won't be missed that much, people need to remember his poor reading of the game and marking have cost numerous goals this season.

mmm yeah okay,insightful comment :roll:

Sonko has improved year on year and has put in impressive performances this season.Ok he has made a few mistakes along the way, but the back 4 have done the same during the season not just Sonko. Dont bet on the likes of Ivar being able to reproduce his current form for next season- i think we might have seen his peak already.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 01 Feb 2007 21:09

Royalupnorth
holsgrove breaks a leg Its 6 months minimum, my workmates wife operated in him! It could well be a up to a year which is disasterous for Sonks, i just hope he comes back from it ok- good luck Superman! If it really is this amount of time, expect to see Coppell coming back for the likes of Barnett,Mensah in the summer.

What, so he's like a robot with a person operating inside.
That explains a lot.

i knew there was something super human about him! :oops:

Cookie

by Cookie » 01 Feb 2007 22:00

I can't get into debate about this, we'll miss him enormously and I'm very unhappy. :cry:

Pool and Darts

by Pool and Darts » 01 Feb 2007 22:26

Royalupnorth
RoyalBlue Royalupnorth you didn't answer my question! :wink:

What does our resident sports physio make of this news?

I find it absolutely incredible that Sonko apparently managed to play on, after he first went down, with his cartilage damage and his cruciate ligaments b*ggered up.

Or did one of those happen as a consequence of him deciding/being allowed to play on?

Be interested in your professional view now the full extent of the injury has been declared.

Its a rare phenomenon, but I mentioned it as a possibility at the time.
In rare cases a ruptured ACL can cause a spasm in the muscles that stabilise the knee (popliteus and parts of the hamstrings) This can allow people to carry on, until the spasm eases (usually due to fatigue) and the leg gives way.
It is impossible to assess a knee in this state as it would appear normal.
It is also impossible to say whether the cartilage was damaged during the initial injury or the subsequent giving way.

The one thing that shocks me is that if the ACL was healthy (and there is no reason why it shouldn't be) it would have a healthy blood supply. And when you rupture the ligament, you should be able to see swelling immediately as the knee fills with blood.
I have stuck up for the medical team throughout this, but I am amazed at the way the swelling wasn't obviously being managed on the sidelines. With immediate swelling, I would have had his knee in ice when he came back out of the tunnel, and he would have been wearing some form of compression support.
If they missed this - tut tut. If he didn't swell - he had a serious problem with his circulation and had a ticking timebomb in his knee.

Haemarthrosis doesn't always balloon up straight away, even in an injury as serious as this. I can take up to 24 hrs. So maybe the swelling wasn't that obvious when Fearny was checking him on the pitch.

The one thing that does cause me to think, is that if he ruptured the ACL on the first occasion he went down, then I know that JF was smart enough to be able to spot/carry out a positive anterior draw test - even if the hamstrings are spasming and providing active stability to the joint.

(have worked briefly with John Fearn - outstanding physio. always very impressed).

Or maybe Sonks did enough to convince him that he was OK the first time, and proper f***ed it the second. hmmm.

Either that, or he bluffed JF first time, then while running across the pitch before going down second time, was un-nerved by the instability in his knee that he was now obviously feeling when he was running.

Dunno.
Agree about the acute injury care though - ice and compression would have been a good idea!

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 02 Feb 2007 08:49

Get well soon Sonks; thanks for everything this season, and we will all be looking forward to your return next season.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 24 Apr 2007 10:22

Berthwaite

by Berthwaite » 24 Apr 2007 16:46

Wycombe Royal Do you think this could help? ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6584229.stm

NO!

It saps Superman's strength.

The OS says he is improving:

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/pa ... 06,00.html

.. so he should be back next season. Let's hope he listens this time and doesn't try to do too much before his knee is ready.