What's happened to Halford ?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 26 Apr 2007 20:17

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Having once again seen Halford put on a very average display against Arsenal's U18's playing centre mid can we all please put this Halford will play centre mid next season and be better than Sid crap a rest please....

With Murty injured, and still unable to get a game ahead of either DLC or Gunnarsson, why not put right back to bed instead?

Don't tell me, we've just forked out over £2m for a 4th choice right back and play him at centre-mid for most reserve games, in the hope that this will make him a better defender worthy of the record fee we paid for him :roll:

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 26 Apr 2007 21:49

Woodcote Royal
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Having once again seen Halford put on a very average display against Arsenal's U18's playing centre mid can we all please put this Halford will play centre mid next season and be better than Sid crap a rest please....

With Murty injured, and still unable to get a game ahead of either DLC or Gunnarsson, why not put right back to bed instead?

Don't tell me, we've just forked out over £2m for a 4th choice right back and play him at centre-mid for most reserve games, in the hope that this will make him a better defender worthy of the record fee we paid for him :roll:

Nothing against him playing there for the reserves, you would imagine it would be good for his fitness levels if nothing else. Was just making the point about how people see him as a replacement for Sid and we all know how hard you think it will be to replace Sid....

:wink:

Z-Head
Location: Oh when the red red robin goes bob bob bobing along Shoot the bastard!!!!!!!!

by Z-Head » 27 Apr 2007 09:57

Woodcote Royal

Nothing against him playing there for the reserves, you would imagine it would be good for his fitness levels if nothing else. Was just making the point about how people see him as a replacement for Sid and we all know how hard you think it will be to replace Sid....

At a massive risk of my neck being slit from you lot.

Why can't we replace sidwell with the LIKES of Edgar Davids?
There all stars now and it might make others extend there contracts :idea:

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 27 Apr 2007 10:14

I think Halford should play against Newcastle. They are very unsure about defending crosses (as shown in the away match at AZ) and with Halford's throws we could further pepper thier box with balls in to force Bramble into errors. He could come in either at right back or right midfield to do this job.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 27 Apr 2007 10:53

Having been brought up on players costing nothing but £20,000 or so and going straight into the first team I find it incredible that we pay a club record fee of £2million or so for a player (who has played right-back for most of his career)and don't play him when our right-back is injured.
Hopefully this is not some sort of lesson that he can't expect a first-team place-rather like Pardew's comments to Harper about showboating in his very first game that set the player back 2 years by knocking his confidence.

I thought Halford did quite well away at Spurs against what was the form team in the division with the quickest winger around.
I can understand not playing him against Ronaldo or the like but Bolton for example don't play with a left-winger and v Newcastle they don't either unless Milner plays on the left and you wouldn't be frightened by his pace.
Obviously the staff at the club know what they are doing-a top 9 finish this season will confirm that but it would be interesting to know why he isn't playing (not even on the bench) and why he is playing in midfield for the Reserves.
Surely we don't have one of our strange deals that we have to pay Colchester a few extra quid if he plays a certain number of games this season?

Sometimes decisions are way over our heads as fans and this one goes alongside Sodje coming from nowhere to play away at the two biggest clubs in the country,Liverpool and Man Utd,do o.k and then end up getting loaned out to West Brom.

kingthor

by kingthor » 27 Apr 2007 23:43

What is this rubbish about his throw being worthless?

It gives forwards more time to react too, and throwing the ball far into the box is a dangerous situation. Besides, it causes defense to shift back, giving more space on the wing for short throws. Halford's throw is a dangerous weapon. To argue otherwise is silly.

Henleyensian

by Henleyensian » 28 Apr 2007 12:31

Wasn't Halford bought to be "one for the near future"? I have a feeling that, at the time, it was said that we struck while the iron was hot as many other clubs had their eyes on him.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 28 Apr 2007 13:00

I think it is a very positive thing for the club that players are signed and then groomed in the way we do things here before launching them into the 1st team. Halford has proved at Colchester that he has talent, that's why we paid good money for him but there was never a need to chuck him straight into the team because we already had cover.

I haven't seen him in the Reserves but I have every confidence that whatever the club is doing with him it is developing him in the areas Coppell & Co have identified as needing attention.

The price tag should have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on whether the guy plays. As soon as ego, reputation and money start to motivate elements of team selection (Goater aside of course!) then something of what Coppell has created will be lost.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 28 Apr 2007 13:13

Im just going to let Sir Steve get on with it, i trust his judgement.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Apr 2007 13:35

kingthor What is this rubbish about his throw being worthless?

It gives forwards more time to react too, and throwing the ball far into the box is a dangerous situation. Besides, it causes defense to shift back, giving more space on the wing for short throws. Halford's throw is a dangerous weapon. To argue otherwise is silly.

Long throws are just a good way of giving the ball away and setting up a counter attack. We've had several long throw merchants over the years and they've all been worthless.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 28 Apr 2007 16:52

Z-Head
Woodcote Royal

At a massive risk of my neck being slit from you lot.

Why can't we replace sidwell with the LIKES of Edgar Davids?
There all stars now and it might make others extend there contracts :idea:
Or it might make others demand parity on wages as they are carrying a big name has been and being paid less for it.

International Royal

by International Royal » 28 Apr 2007 17:23

Halford was bought as one for the future. He will have had a lot of games this season learning the system and being around the team. A whole close season and then it will time to judge him. Similar to the Convey situation in some respects.

As for people who said he did well at Spurs, he didn't. He was all over the place defensively in the first 15 mins when they could have been clear. He was also shattered after about 50 mins. That can all be worked on away from starting 11. Watford next week might be a good game to blood him further.