Greg Halford...

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 06 May 2007 10:04

nivek elyod
From Despair To Where? Lita's first touch was poor today. Definitely suffered for having 2 weeks off. Fair enough, Shittu was tugging him all over the place but he never seemed to get the ball properly under control from the long throw. You did realise I was talking about Lita and not Halford, didn't you?

Why did he even start the match? Fair enough to sub him on after 60 mins, but did he deserve to replace Doyle of all people?

Strange decision from SSC, not in his usual style - but who am I to question him?

Who created the most chances and looked most likely to score?

Who went off when Doyle came on?

Clearly Sir Steve felt Lita had more to offer.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 06 May 2007 14:02

Chaney does royalee ever criticise British born players???..or is he the racist oxf*rd we all supsect he really is?

I criticised Lita when he wasn't putting in the effort earlier on in the season and he's since improved. I think it's you who's the oxf*rd.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 06 May 2007 14:05

Forbury Lion
Royalee I also thought Halford looked quality today - he used the ball well and looked strong in the tackle and generally class. He didn't really get much wrong at Spurs either to be fair, it's just a shame that he was given absolutely no defensive support by the ever-lazy Seol.
Lita kept popping up on the right wing as well when Seol wasn't there.

...Which pretty much sums Seol's performance up. Lita tried hard and did his best to hold the ball up but was given absolutely no help and Kitson was poor after his much improved performance on Monday night.

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo

by readingfc_4_life_and_beyo » 06 May 2007 14:14

Some reason I don't think I was watching the same match as everyone here.

I saw Halford, more than once overlapping Seol. But instead of using him, Seol dallied on the ball, losing it, or giving it to the keeper (although he seemed extremely confident today. Foster that is).

Halford not good running with the ball?! Pardon?! Did you see the run which led to Litas chance? Close control beating 3 players, staying on his feet from the second after an atrocious tackle, and putting a gorgeous little ball into Lita.

I saw many brilliant diagonal balls into Lita, which Lita did trap BTW.

Brilliant fullback defending. One of note - the Left midfielder was running at him, he shows him the way (down the line), instead of going to ground and nocking it out, he pushed the winger off the ball making it a tidy piece of defending.

I could go on about the types of things he did well today. There are many examples. I'm not sure what you lot are on about?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 06 May 2007 14:14

John Madejski's Wallet
Royalee I also thought Halford looked quality today - he used the ball well and looked strong in the tackle and generally class. He didn't really get much wrong at Spurs either to be fair, it's just a shame that he was given absolutely no defensive support by the ever-lazy Seol.

And conversely I was moaning to my mate that Halford was giving Seol absolutely no support going forward!!

Little got amazing support from Murty earlier in the season. Making himself available for lay-offs and making runs to drag defenders away. Seol was on his tod against two players most of the match as no-one made themselves available or dragged the defenders away

:lol: Christ, he was left with two players? If that was the case then why was he marking thin air on the halfway line for most of the game then? Downes, Harper, Dillon and half our fans can't all be wrong.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 06 May 2007 14:15

readingfc_4_life_and_beyo Some reason I don't think I was watching the same match as everyone here.

I saw Halford, more than once overlapping Seol. But instead of using him, Seol dallied on the ball, losing it, or giving it to the keeper (although he seemed extremely confident today. Foster that is).

Halford not good running with the ball?! Pardon?! Did you see the run which led to Litas chance? Close control beating 3 players, staying on his feet from the second after an atrocious tackle, and putting a gorgeous little ball into Lita.

I saw many brilliant diagonal balls into Lita, which Lita did trap BTW.

Brilliant fullback defending. One of note - the Left midfielder was running at him, he shows him the way (down the line), instead of going to ground and nocking it out, he pushed the winger off the ball making it a tidy piece of defending.

I could go on about the types of things he did well today. There are many examples. I'm not sure what you lot are on about?

Thank God somebody has a concept of defending and full back play on here.

G Force 1871
Location: I'll always be on the Southbank halfway up, midway between the halfway line and the away end.

by G Force 1871 » 06 May 2007 16:17

Row Z Royal
rg6royal but let smith get away from him for a cross which resulted in the second goal.

Wrong. He was nowhere near Smith as he expected Seol to track back. Greggy was not at fault for their second goal.

Er . . . . . Yes he was.

Seol went to the man with ball, knowing that Smith was overlapping and (correctly) assuming that Halford should cover Smith.

Anyone who thinks Seol was at Fault for the 2nd goal knows absolutely nothing about football IMO, or is blind.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I thought Halford had a good game andis an exciting prospect, but that he was defo at fault for the second goal.

lozz2601

by lozz2601 » 06 May 2007 16:34

I would have said Hahnemann was at fault for the second goal.

earley_royals
Location: I am earley, super earley, i am earley, from Earley.

by earley_royals » 06 May 2007 19:05

lozz2601 I would have said Hahnemann was at fault for the second goal.

If Halford had done his job the ball wouldn't have got there.

sotonroyal

by sotonroyal » 06 May 2007 19:35

yes i agree one hundred percent halfords fault. He should have clearly known that his goalkeeper would spill the ball out to the oncoming watford player... :roll:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 May 2007 20:57

Hundreds of mistakes of one type or another have been made during every football game ever played - most don't directly lead to an event that changes the game. If Hahnemann had done his job properly Halford's mistake (like the hundreds of others made during yesterday's game) would not have resulted in a goal.

To blame Halford for Watford's second goal would be far harsher than blaming Lita for squandering virtually every opportunity that has come his way in the last couple of months because of his atrocious control and awareness.

Lita's mistakes haven't directly lead to goals against, therefore he gets forgiven by most because he runs about a lot, and oh, he's our leading scorer of course, but yet again yesterday his dire first touch resulted in lost opportunities that MIGHT have cost us the match.

The point being that blaming Halford for the 2nd goal is as illogical as blaming Lita for the defeat yesterday.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 06 May 2007 21:08

Either grow up, or go to a kiddies web site where you can be welcomed.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 07 May 2007 10:40

West Stand Man

Either grow up, or go to a kiddies web site where you can be welcomed.

Why? Because I don't share the opinions of others on here? Go and ask our coaching staff to grow up while you're at it then you tosser.

Henleyensian

by Henleyensian » 07 May 2007 11:35

From Despair To Where? Lita's first touch was poor today. Definitely suffered for having 2 weeks off. Fair enough, Shittu was tugging him all over the place but he never seemed to get the ball properly under control from the long throw. You did realise I was talking about Lita and not Halford, didn't you?

In his defence, as you say, Shittu was tugging at him all the time. I think that Lita relies a great deal on balance, which is impossible under the conditions that the referee allowed. Once he had turned down the penalty appeal it was laissee faire for the Watford players.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 May 2007 12:11

Royalee
Chaney does royalee ever criticise British born players???..or is he the racist oxf*rd we all supsect he really is?

I criticised Lita when he wasn't putting in the effort earlier on in the season and he's since improved. I think it's you who's the oxf*rd.

Reading fans at their best!! :roll:

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 07 May 2007 12:14

Royalee
John Madejski's Wallet

And conversely I was moaning to my mate that Halford was giving Seol absolutely no support going forward!!

Little got amazing support from Murty earlier in the season. Making himself available for lay-offs and making runs to drag defenders away. Seol was on his tod against two players most of the match as no-one made themselves available or dragged the defenders away

:lol: Christ, he was left with two players? If that was the case then why was he marking thin air on the halfway line for most of the game then? Downes, Harper, Dillon and half our fans can't all be wrong.

Seeing as a fair amount of the fans booed when Seol's name was read out, then i'll reserve the right to say their have their blinkers firmly on with regard to his performances. He could have a blinder and still people would boo if he didn't chase down a lost cause.

And I wasn't talking about his marking. I was talking about going forward. Very often as soon as he got the ball there were 2 players on him and he had no help from Halford in making space. Not a huge criticism of Halford as I thought he had a good game, but I assume he's just a bit nervous of getting caught out of position.