UEFA Cup Qualification - The permutations ....

16 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
strap
Hob Nob Regular

UEFA Cup Qualification - The permutations ....

by strap » 10 May 2007 23:09

Tonight's result at White Hart Lane was probably the best one for us as Blackburn now have nothing to play for on Sunday, and Spurs are still catchable - just.

So what are the permuations for Sunday?

I reckon, that as long as we win on Sunday, barring "daft" scorelines, only the following combinations of results will deny us at least 7th spot.

However, if we only manage to draw, then only the following combinations will guarantee us 7th spot or better.

If we lose, then no combination of results will result in us finishing higher than 8th.

So guess what result RFC will serve up for us on Sunday?!?!?!?! Obvious really after Saturday. Shouldn't have bothered should I! :oops:

ANd of course apologies for not noticing the other thread that went up whilst I was typing this one! :cry: :oops:

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

Re: UEFA Cup Qualification - The permutations ....

by londinium » 10 May 2007 23:21

strap Tonight's result at White Hart Lane was probably the best one for us as Blackburn now have nothing to play for on Sunday, and Spurs are still catchable - just.

I reckon, that as long as we win on Sunday, barring "daft" scorelines, only the following combinations of results will deny us at least 7th spot.

However, if we only manage to draw, then only the following combinations will guarantee us 7th spot or better.

If we lose, then no combination of results will result in us finishing higher than 8th.

So guess what result RFC will serve up for us on Sunday?!?!?!?! Obvious really after Saturday. Shouldn't have bothered should I! :oops:

ANd of course apologies for not noticing the other thread that went up whilst I was typing this one! :cry: :oops:

Apologies accepted... I do honestly think that my explaination was a hell of a lot simpler.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 11 May 2007 04:57

I prefer strap's thread. :wink:

We'll go and draw at Ewood Park now, you just know it.

noise

by noise » 11 May 2007 06:38

We'll win the league
At Ewood Park...

OzBiscuit2004
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by OzBiscuit2004 » 11 May 2007 07:45

Uefa has told Reading that if they qualify for the Uefa Cup next season and play weakened teams, they will be breaching the competition's rules. (Guardian)

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 11 May 2007 07:57

strap Tonight's result at White Hart Lane was probably the best one for us as Blackburn now have nothing to play for on Sunday, and Spurs are still catchable - just.:

Blackburn still have the Intertoto to play for - for which they have to finish above whichever of the other applicants don't finish in the top 7.

It's unclear whether Pompey have applied - and I'd be surprised if they -haven't - so Blackburn will still be aiming to finish above them just in case.

EDIT - just noticed that yestrday Pompey finally confirmed that they will be at the Asian Cup instead. So agreed, Blackburn do have nothing to play for now.
Last edited by Platypuss on 11 May 2007 08:23, edited 2 times in total.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 May 2007 07:59

OzBiscuit2004 Uefa has told Reading that if they qualify for the Uefa Cup next season and play weakened teams, they will be breaching the competition's rules. (Guardian)

Didn't seem to be a problem for Palermo.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 11 May 2007 08:05

Bollox, how pretty would we have been sitting if we'd beaten Watford. :(

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 May 2007 08:14

Even a point would have left it in our own hands on Sunday.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 11 May 2007 08:15

1. How do they know if our team is 'weakened' ? If as in the cups we field a team who all have first team experience and most of whom are full internationals then what is the problem ?

2. Presumably this blatent 3rd party involvement in team selection will be dealt with by the FA and a £5.5million fine imposed on UEFA !

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 11 May 2007 11:33

londinium
strap Tonight's result at White Hart Lane was probably the best one for us as Blackburn now have nothing to play for on Sunday, and Spurs are still catchable - just.

Apologies accepted... I do honestly think that my explaination was a hell of a lot simpler.

Yes, ..... yes it is. :oops:

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 11 May 2007 11:47

strap

This makes no sense to me what so ever.....

Sorry!

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 11 May 2007 16:49

TBM
strap

This makes no sense to me what so ever.....

Sorry!

Bless!

Let me elaborate - If we Win on Sunday, but Everton, Tottenham and Bolton also win (W) and Portsmouth lose (L), we don't get into Europe. (This is the third column in the top matrix).

If we draw on Sunday, Everton and Tottenham both win (W) and Bolton and Portsmouth both lose (L), we do get into Europe. (This is the second column in the lower matrix).

But Londinium's thread is much easier to understand :oops:

HalftimePasty

by HalftimePasty » 12 May 2007 14:35

Platypuss EDIT - just noticed that yestrday Pompey finally confirmed that they will be at the Asian Cup instead. So agreed, Blackburn do have nothing to play for now.

I think Spurs have applied for Intertoto, in which case Blackburn would want to make sure we don't win and push Spurs down into 8th, where they would take the Intertoto spot.

Adz1871

by Adz1871 » 13 May 2007 09:42

Platypuss
strap Tonight's result at White Hart Lane was probably the best one for us as Blackburn now have nothing to play for on Sunday, and Spurs are still catchable - just.:

Blackburn still have the Intertoto to play for - for which they have to finish above whichever of the other applicants don't finish in the top 7.

It's unclear whether Pompey have applied - and I'd be surprised if they -haven't - so Blackburn will still be aiming to finish above them just in case.

EDIT - just noticed that yestrday Pompey finally confirmed that they will be at the Asian Cup instead. So agreed, Blackburn do have nothing to play for now.

But Then Again Watford Didnt Have Anything To Play For .. And Look What Happened There

But Europe Is Where We Head!

URZ_forever

by URZ_forever » 13 May 2007 10:32

We just need to play to win, think about the game at hand - Coppell's way.
If we win and other results go our way, brilliant.
If we win and other results don't go our way, it is a shame, but the season will have been ended on a win, and 8th place well that is amazing.

16 posts   •   Page 1 of 1