405 posts
Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 16 May 2007 14:18

Jones the Steam
SpaceCruiser
Wax Jacket
SpaceCruiser
Royal Jelly Sorry to get technical here, but its incorrect to say that the English owned parts of france, or (as some would have you beleive) that the English Monarch has a claim to the french thrown, as it was actually the Normans who invaded and took over England.

If anything the current British head of state come from a line of monarchs who can tenuously be traced back to being French (with a large helping of German recently), so we're still be run by France (sorry spacey).

You are so wrong. The Normans were not French. :roll:

they became the french though

At the time of the invasion, they were not French.

No, do tell us more. And I wish people wouldn't keep clogging up this forum with all this "Reading FC" nonsense, when all I want to do is relive my History GCSE.

Well said newbie

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 16 May 2007 14:18

Jones the Steam
SpaceCruiser
Wax Jacket
SpaceCruiser
Royal Jelly Sorry to get technical here, but its incorrect to say that the English owned parts of france, or (as some would have you beleive) that the English Monarch has a claim to the french thrown, as it was actually the Normans who invaded and took over England.

If anything the current British head of state come from a line of monarchs who can tenuously be traced back to being French (with a large helping of German recently), so we're still be run by France (sorry spacey).

No, do tell us more. And I wish people wouldn't keep clogging up this forum with all this "Reading FC" nonsense, when all I want to do is relive my History GCSE.

Not my fault, Royal Jelly started it. And anyway, the Romans, the Angles, the Saxons and various others had invaded Britain long before the Normans (not the French). Then again, I'm sure you already knew that.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 16 May 2007 14:28

Spacey, stick to reading the shipping forecast you boring old fart.

JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 16 May 2007 14:33

SpaceCruiser
Jones the Steam
SpaceCruiser
Wax Jacket
SpaceCruiser

Not my fault, Royal Jelly started it. And anyway, the Romans, the Angles, the Saxons and various others had invaded Britain long before the Normans (not the French). Then again, I'm sure you already knew that.

God dammit Spacey...
God dammit. Stop being such a freaking tool. And whilst people are happy to let you be all jokey about your anti-french sentiments, I am not. You are clearly very racist if you base your unhappiness at a signing purely on his nationality (and, irrespective of what you say, that is the only reason you said you weren't best pleased). I'd be interested to know why you hated the french so much. Not interested, as such, just keen to prove the point that you are a prejudiced, stereotyping oxf*rd who should grow a pair, fast.

To get things baaaaaack on track:
I know absolutely nothing about this Cissé chap, but it's an exciting signing nonetheless and, hopefully, a sign of things to come this summer. It's a good time to be a Royals fan.

1871 Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by 1871 Royal » 16 May 2007 14:37

Jones the Steam
SpaceCruiser
Wax Jacket
SpaceCruiser

Could I just point out. You don't do that stuff at GCSE level anymore.

HTH

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 16 May 2007 14:39

JimmytheJim
SpaceCruiser
Jones the Steam
SpaceCruiser
Wax Jacket
SpaceCruiser

God dammit Spacey...
God dammit. Stop being such a freaking tool. And whilst people are happy to let you be all jokey about your anti-french sentiments, I am not. You are clearly very racist if you base your unhappiness at a signing purely on his nationality (and, irrespective of what you say, that is the only reason you said you weren't best pleased). I'd be interested to know why you hated the french so much. Not interested, as such, just keen to prove the point that you are a prejudiced, stereotyping oxf*rd who should grow a pair, fast.

I dunno, you sound very stressed. Perhaps you need to chill out. I suggest a nice ice cold pint of stella to ease the strain you must be feeling.

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 16 May 2007 14:42

1million euro only adds up to about 650 thousand, quite cheap by British standards

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 16 May 2007 14:44

hope he is a good player and can fill the role of sidwell

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 16 May 2007 14:45

Flippin heck; I leave the board for a couple of hours to do some work, and 2/3rds of a thread meant to discuss our new signing gets hijacked by Spacey in his efforts to get 3 times as many posts as everyone else combined by his totally predictable faux ranting about the French!

Mods - is there not a rule about posting racist stuff on these boards?

And if so, at what point will you deem Spacey's gibberings to have crossed that line?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 16 May 2007 14:48

F***ing hell, what racist stuff have I posted? :shock:

Perhaps you need to read the thread properly, Mr A.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 May 2007 14:59

Skyline
brendywendy
Skyline
brendywendy what a stupid question,

Why? They're both foreign countries. Or is that point too subtle for you?

no, completely the opposite u tw@t

Do you always resort to profanity when you can't make a sensible point?

my point is as unsensible as yours when you said "I'm curious as to how someone from the Republic of Ireland is more 'local' than someone from France. They're both from foreign countries"

and yes i often resort to profanity, pretty much all the time, regardless of how sensible my point is

id also like to state that in terms of culture, language etc ireland is also more local than france
on top of the fact that most of france is further away than ireland, making it less local
and are you saying one cannot be local if one is in a foreign country?
what about the andorrans and the spanish catalans?

brendywendy thats like saying that australia is as local as germany, cos they are both foreign countries
and that statement is also wrong.
the point is one is more local than the next.

Which shows that you didn't understand (or more likely bother to read) the original post I was commenting on.[/quote]

"As I said I'm talking of local as being British/Irish"

what this one?

the one where someone foolishly said that the british isles should be considered more local to britain than france, and you disagreed?

i dont usually like to get involved in these spats of pedantry, but if you insist on quoting sections of my posts in order to put me down ill do it more often

actually who cares, some of france is closer to UK than some of ireland, not alot of it, but some, so you are right
ireland would be traditionally thought of as more local, in terms of distance and culture etc, so i am also right

why cant we all just get along

whos this cisse bloke anyway, any good?

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 16 May 2007 15:00

SpaceCruiser I can't really say I'm terribly excited about this. For obvious reasons. I'll be hoping we sign somebody of a better standard later this summer.

Fae isn't a Frenchman by the way, and neither is Sonko.

So, exactly WHAT is the obvious reason, you odious little toad???

You have never seen the guy play, you have no idea if he is any good or not, you have consistently supported every other player signed by this club and yet, in your very first post, you state that "you aren't terribly excited" and that you weren't "for obvious reasons".

Add that to your previous with anti-French sentiments and all I (and every other normal person) can deduce that you are dissing him simply because of his nationality.

That makes what you have been saying racist, and I think the mods should act.

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 16 May 2007 15:01

this thread should be locked

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 May 2007 15:02

JimmytheJim To get things baaaaaack on track:
I know absolutely nothing about this Cissé chap, but it's an exciting signing nonetheless and, hopefully, a sign of things to come this summer. It's a good time to be a Royals fan.

Not sure about exciting, interesting yes because I'm keen to see what this guys like, but I'm not really excited by us signing a mid table clogger from Portugal that nobody has ever really heard of.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 16 May 2007 15:04

Mr Angry
SpaceCruiser I can't really say I'm terribly excited about this. For obvious reasons. I'll be hoping we sign somebody of a better standard later this summer.

Fae isn't a Frenchman by the way, and neither is Sonko.

So, exactly WHAT is the obvious reason, you odious little toad???

You have never seen the guy play, you have no idea if he is any good or not, you have consistently supported every other player signed by this club and yet, in your very first post, you state that "you aren't terribly excited" and that you weren't "for obvious reasons".

Add that to your previous with anti-French sentiments and all I (and every other normal person) can deduce that you are dissing him simply because of his nationality.

That makes what you have been saying racist, and I think the mods should act.

To be pedantic, "French" isn't a race. So it's Xenophobia. ;)

Not that that is any better or remotely acceptable.

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 16 May 2007 15:05

Hoop Blah
JimmytheJim To get things baaaaaack on track:

Not sure about exciting, interesting yes because I'm keen to see what this guys like, but I'm not really excited by us signing a mid table clogger from Portugal that nobody has ever really heard of.

we have bought a young player from 1 of europes top leagues, bolton were intrested in him, im excited....

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 16 May 2007 15:08

rg6royal hope he is a good player and can fill the role of sidwell
I get the feeling he isn't and that actually this fella is a replacement for Gunnarsson going forwards. We will sign someone much better and of far higher pedigree to replace Sidders, just you wait

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 May 2007 15:11

Huntley & Palmer
rg6royal hope he is a good player and can fill the role of sidwell
I get the feeling he isn't and that actually this fella is a replacement for Gunnarsson going forwards. We will sign someone much better and of far higher pedigree to replace Sidders, just you wait

I agree.

I'd rather have seen us sign someone like Jagielka, but I'm sure that would've eaten up a much bigger chunk of our transfer budget and for all I know Cisse could be the better of the two players.....

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 May 2007 15:12

AbovetheI
brendywendy
SpaceCruiser
brendywendy

who did you want?

ronaldo?kaka?

Kaka would be great, but I fear his wages would cripple us.

probably right

lets stick to relatively unknown developement prospects then shall we

You mean like Doyle?

yes thats exactly what i meant

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 16 May 2007 15:14

SpaceCruiser
Jones the Steam No, do tell us more. And I wish people wouldn't keep clogging up this forum with all this "Reading FC" nonsense, when all I want to do is relive my History GCSE.

The Jutes, SPACEY --let us not neglect to mention them by name.

They were from Jutland, don'cha know. Contemporary Denmark.

Anyway, hope this Cissé fellow proves out, although I can't help but wish --and strictly in the name of intratribal harmony-- that he were a Jute.

405 posts