Shorey to star for England!

Reading_Royal
Location: 25Mar2006 History in the making - RFC in the promised land!

Shorey to star for England!

by Reading_Royal » 24 May 2007 16:41

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hli ... land+start

Owen handed England start

Michael Owen will take another step on his road to full fitness by starting for England's B side against Albania on Friday.

The forward ended his lengthy spell on the sidelines when making a return for Newcastle towards the end of last season, but he understandably looked short of match sharpness during his three outings for The Magpies.

Owen is eager to figure in England's Euro 2008 qualifier with Estonia on 6th June and he will have the chance to prove his fitness when leading the line at Turf Moor.

Manchester United forward Alan Smith will partner Owen in attack, while Scott Carson will be handed a start in goal.

Tottenham pair Ledley King and Michael Dawson will form the central-defensive partnership, while there is a place in the midfield for Blackburn's David Bentley.

Team to face Albania:
Carson, P Neville, King, Dawson, Shorey, Lennon, Barry, Jenas, Bentley, Owen, Smith.

:D :D :D :D Shorey just don't get injured!

Lieutenant Pigeon

by Lieutenant Pigeon » 24 May 2007 16:43

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 24 May 2007 16:50

I know this thread is a Dodd, but that team isn't really all that bad.

There is a lot of unproven talent, at that level, but that's what B teams are for.

Mr Brightside
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Mr Brightside » 24 May 2007 17:03

Loving how skysports just brush over the fact of shorey's england debut. :o

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 24 May 2007 17:12

zac naloen I know this thread is a Dodd, but that team isn't really all that bad.

There is a lot of unproven talent, at that level, but that's what B teams are for.

Apart from central midfield (OK, a key area) I think that is a very useful team.
Two excellent wingers, a poacher and a worker up front, good and in form keeper and decent defence (plus Phil Neville).

Would give plenty of international sides a good game.

Katie Marsden

by Katie Marsden » 24 May 2007 17:21

Theres not two wingers in the side though. I wouldn't class Barry as a winger.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 24 May 2007 17:22

Katie Marsden Theres not two wingers in the side though. I wouldn't class Barry as a winger.

I'd class Lennon and Bentley as wingers though...

Katie Marsden

by Katie Marsden » 24 May 2007 17:24

Behindu
Katie Marsden Theres not two wingers in the side though. I wouldn't class Barry as a winger.

With Shorey at left back, Barry will play on the left of midfield. Lennon will be on the right and Jenas and Bentley in the middle.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 24 May 2007 17:26

Katie Marsden
Behindu

With Shorey at left back, Barry will play on the left of midfield. Lennon will be on the right and Jenas and Bentley in the middle.

Doesn;t stop Lennon and Bentley being 2 excellent wingers.
Not my fault if whoever is the manager doesn't use them properly.

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 24 May 2007 17:28

With having Barry there surely it will see the best of Nicky Shorey allowing him to bomb forward?

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 24 May 2007 17:34

Can anyone tell me what is the actual point of Phil Neville? Without doubt the worst footballer ever to win a shedload of England caps. Yes, even worse than Phil Neal.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 24 May 2007 17:37

I can't see the point of him being in the Bteam - waste of a space.

He's a better player than he's given credit for - he's been picked by a series of England managers and Fergie and they can;t all be doing it because he has embarassing photos. He is a bit 'grey' though and i don't think he's the sort of player to strike fear into an oppostion when they see his name on a teamsheet.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 24 May 2007 17:41

Katie Marsden
Behindu

Alternatively, Bentley right, Lennon left, Jenas and Barry central.

Katie Marsden

by Katie Marsden » 24 May 2007 17:44

He's a defender, they tend not to strike fear into anyone.

He's a solid full back. He's done very well at Everton and the fact he's their captain shows how valued he is.

Then again he must be sh1t because he gave away a penalty in Euro 2000 :roll:

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 24 May 2007 17:49

Katie Marsden He's a defender, they tend not to strike fear into anyone.

:

Really ?

I don't think you are right there.... the best defenders are every bit to be feared - and the likes of Terry and Campbell (and Sonks !) are intimidating.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 24 May 2007 17:50

hansen would have made me brick it too

look at the size of the ruddy scar on his forehead!

premiership_bound

by premiership_bound » 24 May 2007 17:50

Mr Brightside Loving how skysports just brush over the fact of shorey's england debut. :o

Apart from this feature:

Steve McClaren feels the B friendly against Albania is the perfect opportunity to assess the likes of Nicky Shorey in an England shirt.

The Reading full-back is one of several untested names in the starting line-up for Friday's match at Turf Moor.

Scott Carson, David Bentley and Michael Dawson are among the other rookies getting a chance on the international stage, and McClaren is keen to see how these players perform.

"It's good to have a look at some of the players, like Jagielka, like Lescott, like Taylor, like Dawson, like Shorey, like Bentley, who we haven't seen," said McClaren on Sky Sports News.

"They've had good seasons for their clubs, and they will get among England players and we'll see what they're like at that standard.

"It will be great to see them play tomorrow.

"I've been especially impressed by Shorey at left-back, he's looked very good.

"We've got to look to the future, there's always players out there who, through form, later developing or whatever, will get an opportunity.

"Shorey is the perfect example of that, in a Reading side and nobody had played in the Premier League.

"They've done so well, and him personally has done that.

"There are always players coming through and it's a boost for everybody else to see they can get an opportunity for England."
http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=468431&CPID=219&clid=108&lid=&title=Shorey+impresses+McClaren

Katie Marsden

by Katie Marsden » 24 May 2007 18:06

Behindu

:

Really ?

I don't think you are right there.... the best defenders are every bit to be feared - and the likes of Terry and Campbell (and Sonks !) are intimidating.

Centre backs are slightly different but even then you tend to fear midfield players and strikers more as they're players that do the most damage.

Not sure Sol Campbell would strike fear into me, unless I happened to be bending over in the shower.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 May 2007 18:09

Katie Marsden
Behindu

:

Really ?

Centre backs are slightly different but even then you tend to fear midfield players and strikers more as they're players that do the most damage.

Not sure Sol Campbell would strike fear into me, unless I happened to be bending over in the shower.

I doubt he'd stoop so low as to do you... I'm sure it would have to have been a very lean decade.

Katie Marsden

by Katie Marsden » 24 May 2007 18:34

Jog on Smeagol.