'Doing a Reading'

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

'Doing a Reading'

by floyd__streete » 28 May 2007 19:38

Has been mentioned several times on 606 this evening by Derby supporters. LOLoveLOLy stuff. We're a model club these days and I am so proud I can hardly fit my head through the door.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 28 May 2007 19:42

Billy Davis has said this a few times lately, and I'll never get tired of hearing it either.

Doyler

by Doyler » 28 May 2007 19:49

Neither am I, really makes you realise how fantastic our achievements are.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 May 2007 20:01

If any of the promoted clubs start next season with a team containing just one new signing from that that finished their promotion season I'll eat my hat.

Doing well with the same team and not really splashing the cash is" doing a Reading". Still nice to hear managers and fans saying that.

Reading_Royal
Location: 25Mar2006 History in the making - RFC in the promised land!

by Reading_Royal » 28 May 2007 20:19

Is this the same Derby that said when they got relegated from the prem and we got promoted to div 1, "You know you've been relegated when you play teams like Reading." this was before the opening game of the season. They did beat us 3-0 but hated John Gregory ever since!

You know when the premiership should only have 19 teams playing when teams like Derby win via the playoffs.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 28 May 2007 20:28

Only if you storm to the championship title with anywhere near 106 points can you have confidence enough in your teams ability to "do a Reading".

It's no surprising we did so well the season before last, We had a top Premiership Team playing one league below their rightfull place!

kingthor

by kingthor » 28 May 2007 20:44

I don't think Derby has any chance of staying up, and I honestly don't think Birmingham or Sunderland have much of a chance either. Of course, it is early to make predictions.

nivek elyod

by nivek elyod » 28 May 2007 21:24

Hopefully it will replace the 'doing a Wigan' that BBC commentators/pundits are so fond of. We can but hope...

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 28 May 2007 21:28

What about the bloke that said that derby are a bigger club than reading and they will be doing better than reading next year as they are a bigger club

Katie Marsden

by Katie Marsden » 28 May 2007 21:37

They are a bigger club.

They've got a bigger ground, will have a bigger average attendance and will spend more on players this summer than we will. They've also won a fair amount, unlike ourselves.

I very much doubt they'll finish anywhere near us though.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 28 May 2007 21:39

Katie Marsden They are a bigger club.

They've got a bigger ground, will have a bigger average attendance and will spend more on players this summer than we will. They've also won a fair amount, unlike ourselves.

seconded - size is not directly proportionate to success

Cookie

by Cookie » 28 May 2007 21:45

Reading_Royal Is this the same Derby that said when they got relegated from the prem and we got promoted to div 1, "You know you've been relegated when you play teams like Reading." this was before the opening game of the season. They did beat us 3-0 but hated John Gregory ever since!

You know when the premiership should only have 19 teams playing when teams like Derby win via the playoffs.

Nice point Reading_Royal

They haven't started very well on their way to doing a Reading, they appear to be treading in the footsteps of Watford so far.

Doesn't Darren Moore resemble Danny Shittu? :wink:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: 'Doing a Reading'

by RoyalBlue » 28 May 2007 21:56

floyd__streete Has been mentioned several times on 606 this evening by Derby supporters. LOLoveLOLy stuff. We're a model club these days and I am so proud I can hardly fit my head through the door.

And they can dream on! Neither team in today's game looked anywhere near in the same class as our heroes!

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 28 May 2007 22:55

It seems the team that wins this game is more important than the one's who do it by going up in the promotion places? The 60 million pound game....... I don't recall us being labeled the 60 million pound league winners? :roll:

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 28 May 2007 22:59

Forbury Lion Only if you storm to the championship title with anywhere near 106 points can you have confidence enough in your teams ability to "do a Reading".

It's not surprising we did so well the season before last, We had a top Premiership Team playing one league below their rightfull place!

Exactly, Sunderland were top this time with 88pts :?

Sheff U did way better than that coming 2nd behind us and look what happened to them.

Doyler

by Doyler » 29 May 2007 00:57

Katie Marsden They are a bigger club.

Am I right in saying Derby have a very large debt? This explains the number of loan players they have signed and therefore they probably aren't likely to spend much this summer.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 29 May 2007 07:34

Jackson Corner It seems the team that wins this game is more important than the one's who do it by going up in the promotion places? The 60 million pound game....... I don't recall us being labeled the 60 million pound league winners? :roll:

Rightly so. When we won the league the projected income was a lot lower as the new TV deal hadn;t been signed.

Had to alugh at the number of times people said that winning the playoff final was 'the best' way to get promoted.

I'm pretty sure that getting promoted with 106 points and wiping th efloor with the rest of the league was way, way better than scraping up via a lottery !

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 29 May 2007 09:33

Behindu Had to alugh at the number of times people said that winning the playoff final was 'the best' way to get promoted.

Losing the play-off final is the worst way not to get promoted.

Aside from the points record the tail end of our Record Breaking Championship Season wasn't exactly edge of the seat stuff. Most of us knew (but wouldn't admit it) that we were up at Christmas whilst Watford, and now Derby, were still scrapping well into May.

For 'the best' read 'the most exciting'.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 May 2007 09:36

Behindu
Jackson Corner It seems the team that wins this game is more important than the one's who do it by going up in the promotion places? The 60 million pound game....... I don't recall us being labeled the 60 million pound league winners? :roll:

Rightly so. When we won the league the projected income was a lot lower as the new TV deal hadn;t been signed.

Had to alugh at the number of times people said that winning the playoff final was 'the best' way to get promoted.

I'm pretty sure that getting promoted with 106 points and wiping th efloor with the rest of the league was way, way better than scraping up via a lottery !

We are rarely as one on things RFC but that's exactly the same remark I made to my family as we watched the game and the commentator came out with that remark!

There can be no better way of doing it than 'The Reading Way'!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 May 2007 09:39

RoyalBlue
Behindu

We are rarely as one on things RFC but that's exactly the same remark I made to my family as we watched the game and the commentator came out with that remark!

There can be no better way of doing it than 'The Reading Way'!

Whilst I agree, for the sheer adrenaline rush that goes with gaining promotion over one cup final then the play-offs cannot be beat. Doing it our way is better for the prolonged high that goes with it but the winner takes all nature of a one off game heightens that emotion.