Shorey in FULL ENGLAND SQUAD

Blue and White Toucan

by Blue and White Toucan » 29 May 2007 15:18

Shorey will start on the left if Bridge doesn't play.

I hope he doesn't get exposed if he does play because the rest of the defence lacks pace and up against Brazil it could prove costly.

Terry and Carragher are slow centre backs and never do well against quick players and as for Phil Neville at right back up against Ronaldinho...

To think that we are talking about a Reading player in the same sentances as 'Terry, Brazil, and Ronaldinho' is without doubt bloody brilliant :D

Can't wait for Friday now, although still waiting for ticket to arrive !!!!!

BigSCOT

by BigSCOT » 29 May 2007 15:24

Royalphil
brighton_royal
bb0118 ENGLANDS NUMBER 3
HE'S ENGLANDS NUMBER 3
HE KNOWS HE IS HE'S SHORE (Y) HE IS
HE'S ENGLANDS NUMBER 3

Perfect :D

Just Texted it to Nicky dad Steve , whose forwarded it to Nicky. they both love it !!!!!!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 29 May 2007 16:32

oooh look at you with your club contacts!!

lol

Keeper

by Keeper » 29 May 2007 16:39

Doyler I will be at Wembley on Friday, hope he starts, fingers crossed. :D Is anyone else going?

ME!!!!!!!!!!!

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 29 May 2007 16:48

Rawlie19 I hope whoever wrote that isn't being paid per word...

zac naloen I imagine the full story is in the EP.

Scroll down the page, lads? There's a lot more words and the full story already there... :D

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 29 May 2007 16:55

3 veesinarow

Scroll down the page, lads? There's a lot more words and the full story already there... :D

It is now, wasn't before. Just 2 lines.

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 29 May 2007 17:03

Rawlie19
3 veesinarow

It is now, wasn't before. Just 2 lines.

My trip to Smug City cut short before I got off the drive... :wink:

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 30 May 2007 01:24

From the Telegraph,

Shorey's unlikely journey from Orient to Brazil

By Steve Thomson

When a chorus of "Shorey for England" rang out round the Madejski Stadium with increasing regularity during Reading's first Premiership campaign, the fans scarcely believed Nicky Shorey would actually be called up at the end of the season.

Injuries to Ashley Cole and Wayne Bridge have opened the way for the former Leyton Orient defender, 26, to make his international debut against Brazil at Wembley on Friday night.

It completes a meteoric rise from Brisbane Road where he made only 16 senior appearances before having a trial with Reading, then managed by Alan Pardew. After he impressed in a reserve game against Bristol City, Pardew had little hesitation in parting with £25,000 in February 2001.

Shorey's career has progressed in tandem with Reading's advance to new heights with a record points haul in their Championship-winning season last year and an eighth-place finish in the top flight.
advertisement

Reading team-mates such as strikers Kevin Doyle and Shane Long have broken into the Republic of Ireland senior side while Leroy Lita has represented England's Under-21s. But Shorey's sudden accession to Steve McClaren's top table following his first B international appearance against Albania last Friday is the clearest evidence of all how players' talents can flourish under the shrewd tutelage of Steve Coppell.

Coppell's biggest problem in the future could be keeping Shorey under his wing as reports continue to link a player who grew up round the corner from West Ham's training ground at Chadwell Heath with a move to Upton Park. The West Ham connection runs deep. His father Steve was on the football development staff at West Ham but is now employed by Reading as a youth recruitment officer working across Europe. It would hardly be surprising if West Ham were keen to recruit his son because he starred in the 6-0 drubbing they suffered at Reading on New Year's Day. Shorey set up four of the goals.

Now he will be hoping to have as successful a debut for England as that enjoyed by the last Reading player to pull on an England shirt - one Herbert Smith, also a left-back, in 1907. England beat Scotland 1-0 at Crystal Palace on that occasion. A similar result would add to the fairytale for Shorey who gets married to Emily the next day before his next national assignment - probably in Estonia.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 30 May 2007 08:58

Shorey bumped into a mate of mine in the local Sainsbury's, Shorey told my mate that back when he first bumped into him he was the first person to ever ask him about his chances of playing for England. That's my mates claim to fame.

Who was the last England International to have played at every level of the English league before getting a call up?

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 30 May 2007 17:13

Doyler I will be at Wembley on Friday, hope he starts, fingers crossed. :D Is anyone else going?

Got tickets today! We will be so proud to be part of the historic return of a Reading FC player to the England side. Surely the return of the senior national side to the new national stadium is just a sideshow...isn't it? England's only been waiting 7 years, we've been waiting a century...